BlackoutZone's Best of 2021 | FINISHED

BlackoutZone

totally forgot to listen to the new VERITE songs :rip: will give it a listen later cause she usually delivers

super lowkey hated COTCC and BB but I remember Thunder being one of the better songs kii

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlackoutZone

• Lazuli

• theblackestday

• TheWayWeWere

cant say i know any of these songs but i’m sure they’re some cute indie / synth pop serves :coffee:

42 & 43 are lit :loud:

I always love seeing SHINee in Best Of lists :clap3: DCM wasn't their best era ever but it was a cute one I guess! 

HYD's EP was indeed decent, i liked it. poster girl the song is cute too  :jamming: 

not too familiar with k-pop, but Chung Ha's album was really good. bicycle was def a highlight. vérité :clap3:i havent listened to that mitski track yet, but your description of it has me intrigued! 

Lonna + Sugababes :heart:

Interlocked had Lauren's vocals on it????? Let me relistening. Good Danny pick but my fave is something different. Good Lorde pick too.

Not my favorite Remi song but glad to see her get some love, even if you didn't like the whole album! I thought it was so fun.

Any Mitski pick would be correct. The Only Heartbreaker, her Nobody to Working For the Knife (her Geyser).

Thunder demo tbh >>> :eli: 

The Only Heartbreaker :smitten: I love her pop bops :alexz: 

Run for Cover :jonny5: nice to see some love for Sugababes :alexz: my favorite remix from re-release

I didn't know about the MNEK sugababes remix, just had a listen and it's cute!

by now also has a very nice vibe

Cute banners!

On 12/11/2021 at 2:01 PM, dreamofyou said:

the lorde slander everywhere this year i can't:dancehall3:

the cruel summer sample definitely saved deja vu

She will got some praise on my list :gaycat1:

the only heartbreaker is amazing ugh

thunder praise :clap3: blue banisters is the superior album

16 hours ago, BlackoutZone said:

Oh you didn't feel Deja Vu? I think it's her most interesting song sonically too

Yes lmao I think Harlecore was originally much more poppy before he remixed it into one big rave that kind of got lost. On a Mountain is a stand out tho fully

Right? I trashed it too at first, but it's a fucking banger

Period :alexz:

Deja Vu still doesn't click for me idk why :deadbanana4: maybe it's too ahead of it's time for me

This is interesting. Before i started listening to Harlecore i thought it would be like In My Dreams or Super Natural type of bangers but i still like it :jonny5: The MC Boing tracks are diabolical in a good way nnn

OT: The Only Heartbreaker is soo good :jonny5:Laurel Hell is going to fucked me up guaranteed

WE GO, HULA HOOP, YALLA :jonny5: We love pretty girls music!

Don't Call Me though? They were in their sellout era i fear

On 12/10/2021 at 11:01 PM, BlackoutZone said:

0WIIc0M.png

Pop Smoke f/ Dua Lipa - Demeanor

Is it a good song? Not at all honestly. It's very disjointed and you can tell they are running out of his proper demos to use so they started piecing random ideas together trying to force something passable. However I'm still a Dua love at heart and her verse was amazing, her delivery was hot as fuck and made me spin the song TONS of times this year so I had to drop it here somehwere.

Elton John & Dua Lipa - Cold Heart (PNAU Remix)

That's a much better offering from Dua this year. PNAU did an amazing job blending these Elton classics together with a warm groovy production. So happy to see it smashing around the world, though not gonna lie it was very unexpected. This cool breakdown by David Bennett on YouTube made me appreciate it even more. But in its core it's still more of a cute mashup than a new song so.

Kylie Minogue & Dua Lipa -  Real Groove (Studio 2054 Remix)

You thought we are done with Dua in this reveal huh? A collab between these ladies was (and kind of still remains) a dream, especially on one of the best songs on Disco which got notably compared to Future Nostalgia right after the release. This remix however, while I'm still glad it exists, doesn't really count as a proper collab with Dua's vocals being barely there, blended in and lost behind Kylie's lead and big instrumentation. I still love the remix though! With or without Dua it's funky af.

Madison Beer - Default

She's been so hyped this year and I'm gonna admit the album was a pretty interesting debut from a new pop girl. Hope she continues the path of songs like Default / Selfish / Effortlessly rather than BOYSHIT or Good In Goodbye. Ultimately tho my favorite track on the album is Default and it feels rather like an interlude so I didn't feel like putting it ont he main list.

I had all of them in my playlists too this year, great honorable mentions, especially Cold Heart! :jamming:

We're living in a Dua world! 

On 12/11/2021 at 8:43 PM, BlackoutZone said:

3O89qTn.png

Pretty much hated the album, but really loved this song, by far the best track and probably the only one I'll be coming back to over time.

37Y27Zk.png

Finally after years of teasing we got a studio album and California Palms is definitely Maty at her best with amazing production by OZGO. Big summery pop banger.

46 OLIVIA RODRIGO - DEJA VU (ACCIDENTELY DELETED PIC) 

I'm definitely not a part of this year's Olivia craze and I found SOUR to be very mediocre, especially for someone who brands herself so much as Taylor protegee... but I still can't deny Deja Vu is a great track and her best by far. Maybe Cruel Summer "sample" carried it to this point, maybe not, I just love it.

17 hours ago, BlackoutZone said:

IQjB45o.png

So the general consensus is that Chemtrails has much better highlights isn't it? Honestly I found Thunder to be the best of both projects and after hearing the already great demo through the years I loved to see how she polished it and properly improved.

00P6yKA.png

Love me a good, not half-assed reissue that brings remastered songs, previously vaulted outtakes and unexpectedly reimagined classics, but modern day producers. MNEK did an amazing job remixing one of my favorites from this iconic album and truly giving it a new life.

Great jams!

I have the same feeling about Olivia as you, Deja Vu remains her best!

I have to check out that Sugababes cover, loved the original! 

Yas at The Only Heartbreaker. :jonny5:

thanks again for comments!

Spoiler
19 hours ago, Enigmanotta said:

Close to being a 5 out of 5 in both categories! Maybe I'll finally give in someday and listen to NCT and its 47 subunits. Can't say the same about Sugabombs. :gaycat4:

Tbh it's not worth it so you're better off without NCT at all  :gaycat4:

19 hours ago, bestfiction said:

Star Seed > Hula Hoop lowkey :eli: but kii, agree that it's harded for them to stand out with each year unfortunately

Fallen Fruit is probably the best song from Solar Power but it's still quite drab, not on par with even the weaker cuts on Melodrama or even PH. She needs to get herself together

Deja Vu is 100% Olivia's best song

There was a period I preferred StarSeed, but overall I played HH much more so it's there.

Yeah I think I enjoy FF so much, cause it's surrounded by straight up garbage kii

19 hours ago, Sanguine said:

Love The Only Heartbreaker, hated it at first but it really hit me. Interested to see how the album turns out

azAx4Zh.gif

Great K-Pop choices again, especially WJSN they really served this year

Well I really enjoyed Laurel Hell overall, it's a good balance between WFTK sound and TOH sound. Mitski never really misses anyway

Stan WJSN!

19 hours ago, TalkThatRihanna said:

I don’t know any of these songs I fear 

azAx4Zh.gif

Check The Only Heartbreaker :gaycat1:

19 hours ago, luckystrike said:

totally forgot to listen to the new VERITE songs :rip: will give it a listen later cause she usually delivers

super lowkey hated COTCC and BB but I remember Thunder being one of the better songs kii

It's kinda nothing new for her, but it's all very enjoyable

Hated COCC too, tired of Jack overall

18 hours ago, dreamofyou said:

thunder truly a highlight:clap3:

Yup :clap3:

18 hours ago, dangerousalex said:

cant say i know any of these songs but i’m sure they’re some cute indie / synth pop serves :coffee:

nn you should definitely try/like more the songs I'm posting today :gaycat2:

18 hours ago, original_lifeline said:

42 & 43 are lit :loud:

The way you ignored ionna while having her avi :dies:

18 hours ago, diogozsz said:

I always love seeing SHINee in Best Of lists :clap3: DCM wasn't their best era ever but it was a cute one I guess! 

It wasn't their best, but it's gonna be hard to touch 1 of 1 again. But I really loved what they served

18 hours ago, kiiwii said:

HYD's EP was indeed decent, i liked it. poster girl the song is cute too  :jamming: 

not too familiar with k-pop, but Chung Ha's album was really good. bicycle was def a highlight. vérité :clap3:i havent listened to that mitski track yet, but your description of it has me intrigued! 

Definitely check the Mitski track! Chung Ha's album had some fillers, but the stand outs are great!

17 hours ago, Sempiternal said:

Lonna + Sugababes :heart:

Finally some Sugababes love :heart2:

17 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Interlocked had Lauren's vocals on it????? Let me relistening. Good Danny pick but my fave is something different. Good Lorde pick too.

Not my favorite Remi song but glad to see her get some love, even if you didn't like the whole album! I thought it was so fun.

Any Mitski pick would be correct. The Only Heartbreaker, her Nobody to Working For the Knife (her Geyser).

Yeah! I mean they got mixed it so weirdly :deadbanana2: Danny should do a more poppy track for her so the vocals could shine more.

Kii yeah I noticed people don't really stan Sexy Villain in context of the album so I will revisit it.

Love all 3 Mitski offerings, but TOH seemed the most striking.

11 hours ago, TheWayWeWere said:

Thunder demo tbh >>> :eli: 

The Only Heartbreaker :smitten: I love her pop bops :alexz: 

Run for Cover :jonny5: nice to see some love for Sugababes :alexz: my favorite remix from re-release

I used to think the demo is better, but the final builds up so beautifully :allears:

Ah STAN :jonny5: It's rare to see any Sugababes love nowdays and they are literally icons

8 hours ago, ChapelHooker said:

fallen fruit and deja vu :jonny4:flavor

Taste :alexz2:

7 hours ago, Tinashegrande6 said:

I didn't know about the MNEK sugababes remix, just had a listen and it's cute!

by now also has a very nice vibe

I was surprised he took a spin on it and it really turned out great

7 hours ago, Insanity said:

Cute banners!

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Moonlightbae said:

I'm still obsessed with Thunder :jonny5:it's so good 

will check the rest x

Check by now and maybe The Only Heartbreaker :katie2:

5 hours ago, Lazuli said:

the only heartbreaker is amazing ugh

thunder praise :clap3: blue banisters is the superior album

Taste! COCC was a misfire

3 hours ago, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

Deja Vu still doesn't click for me idk why :deadbanana4: maybe it's too ahead of it's time for me

This is interesting. Before i started listening to Harlecore i thought it would be like In My Dreams or Super Natural type of bangers but i still like it :jonny5: The MC Boing tracks are diabolical in a good way nnn

OT: The Only Heartbreaker is soo good :jonny5:Laurel Hell is going to fucked me up guaranteed

WE GO, HULA HOOP, YALLA :jonny5: We love pretty girls music!

Don't Call Me though? They were in their sellout era i fear

I had similar expectations and I'm still convinced it's exactly what Harlecore was when he was first making it, but Ill take what we got!

STAN babes! I agree that Don't Call Me is a bit idk how to put it... NCT'd LMAO, but I really liked it, different sound for them

2 hours ago, mylicious said:

I had all of them in my playlists too this year, great honorable mentions, especially Cold Heart! :jamming:

We're living in a Dua world! 

Great jams!

I have the same feeling about Olivia as you, Deja Vu remains her best!

I have to check out that Sugababes cover, loved the original! 

We truly are, I just can't escape her! She is always delivering

Thanks lots :alexz3:

1 hour ago, Sunderland 4ever said:

Yas at The Only Heartbreaker. :jonny5:

:clap:

1 hour ago, theblackestday said:

Thunder disgusting song actually but lets move on papi

I mean maybe I wanted to be nice to Lana and pretend that I'm not disappointed with every single thing post NFR, but fine x

x4123zv.png

Not a usual pick from the album, but I love how cinematic it is. It's been on a track to be my favorite ever since we got the trailer for the movie (which I also liked a lot). The whole record had potential to be just a bit better, but the great stand outs like this one or Easier than Lying carry it.

lhbr1Pw.png

Maybe anti-vaxxers do it better. Still Over It was a pretty great Rnb album and Insane is easily my favorite song, such sexy soulful vibes.

z3C7NnZ.png

Normani drops something once a solar eclipse at this point, but at least once it comes it's a stellar offering. Hope this sets the tone for her album if it's to ever exist. Hate Cardi and her annoying vocals, but her verse was great here.

0KIKHrQ.png

I was really scared of Katy's transition to more Rnb sound, but it turned out pretty well. I needed some time to click with the whole EP, but I'm still a Katy stan at heart and I love to hear her voice again. Under My Skin is probably still the best song she put out this year, but Floating was really good too.

k8uBkni.png

Female rap is not usually my genre hence why this song is probably still fairly low, but whew it's fucking great. Amazing on its own and even better as an opener of a really good album. The epic orchestration and choirs remind me of Janelle's The Archandroid days.

eYvL3Xt.png

She is a legend and everything she does has class to it, it's that simple. Another great title, greatt b-sides, great album. Probably would have been even higher if I placed it last year.

XFYKm38.png

loonathedisappointment are really getting on my nerves with this garbage they decided to release lately, but thankfully this amazing gem was hiding on [&] to save their deeply hurt reputation of having stellar b-sides.

Hu00Euw.png

I know this came out last year, but most of us discovered Brave Girls in 2021 for obvious reasons and We Ride also entered the charts for the first time just this year. That being said this is their best song, I'm a huge sucker for nu-disco and city-pop influences in modern K-pop music and they nailed it.

BXKQ0MA.png

Always here for new EXO, love these boys and their constant delivery of bops. I might have overplayed this a little bit, but it's still a huge bop and one of my most played songs of 2021.

EvWrmzE.png

No idea who that is even, but they performed this before Loona on some music show and I was hooked right away! The album has quite some good b-sides too, maybe I will dive deeper into their music eventually but for now this title is one of the catchiest BGs bangers this year.

Bells In Santa Fe is definitely one of my faves on the album.

Wild Side and Insane some of the best R&B songs released this year :clap3:

Wild Side took a while to grow but once it did whew. The intro alone ended careers :clap3:maybe her own

Insane also a great track, the whole album is excellent though

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.