• Brandon

• Sunderland 4ever

• TheWayWeWere

• ATRL Administrator

Lee's Best of 2021

Top 200 TV Shows of 2021: #125 - #101

125) Young Rock (NBC)

44BylKU.png

Young Rock is a comedy series which chronicles the early years of Dwayne Johnson, growing up in elementary school, high school and college. The series is framed as The Rock in the future running for president and telling stories about his past and how he learned different lessons growing up. We see his family over the years, and each of the kids playing The Rock do a great job. I hope they can move past the presidential campaign and just shift to him telling stories like they did in the Christmas episode.

124) Elliott From Earth (Cartoon Network)

2MVEPsz.png

This new cartoon series from the minds behind The Amazing World of Gumball follows a kid and his mom who accidentally get transported to a different planet in space. They don't fit in or understand the customs and ways of this alien planet. They befriend a dinosaur who doesn't know where he's from either and the group has to adjust to their new way of life. They run into funny situations and it was less random episodes and more a continuous story over the first season. I hope we get more episodes next year.

123) Resident Alien (Syfy)

M1HNgjq.png

Resident Alien was an unexpected fun time. The series is based on a comic series where an alien crash lands on earth, intending to destroy it, and embeds himself into humanity until he can repair his ship and find the weapon needed to destroy the planet. He impersonates a local small town doctor and eventually softens a bit to humanity. A young kid can see through his disguise and puts wrinkles in in his plans to go undetected. There also forces after him who keep getting closer. The season was renewed for a second season and returns soon.

122) Grand Crew (NBC)

mDd5EfP.png

Grand Crew is a new comedy series which got a small preview this year and follows a group of friends who all hang out and know way too much about each other. The main character is a lovesick guy and his friends know him better than he know himself. The show feels like part Happy Endings, The League and How I Met Your Mother except with an all black main cast. I'm really excited to see what comes next when it premieres in January.

121) High School Musical: The Musical: The Series (Disney+) (Last Year: 47)

kNCkLvJ.png

The second season of HSMTMTS wasn't as good as the first. I didn't find the music as good, and none were as memorable as some from the first season. I really enjoyed the song Second Chance from the season finale. You could see the shift the series had to make with the pandemic as some storylines just went away and things felt more simple. The show has been renewed for a third season and will take place at summer camp.  They seemed to be teasing Frozen as the focus for the new season.

120) Rutherford Falls (Peacock)

tBnACo5.png

This series follows a small town where local history becomes a bigger issue. A statue in the town becomes controversial for what the man did to the Native Americans who lived in the town. This leads to the head of the local Nation going hard to get back what he feels his people deserve. This puts the two leads and friends in an awkward situation because of the sides they both represent. It had its deep moments while also some really funny ones, balancing out the seriousness of the fictional conflict. It was renewed for a second season and more people need to watch it!

119) Pretty Smart (Netflix)

4zW6C89.png

I won't lie, this show is such a guilty pleasure. It brought me back to the comedies on ABC Fmaily/Freeform like Baby Daddy and Young & Hungry where they weren't groundbreaking comedy series, but they were consistently corny and funny. A booksmart young adult moves in with the aloof sister and her vapid roommates who are more interested in their looks and having fun than anything deeper. She eventually gets feelings for one of the guys and you see how everyone grows from their new living arrangement. I hope Netflix renews it because I will watch more!

118) The Blacklist (NBC) (Last Year: 117)

o52kpPm.png

The Blacklist saw a main character leave the series at the end of season eight and sent the series into a different direction when it returned for season nine. The original creator also left ahead of the latest season which offered some new eyes on the series leading to some good changes in the format. The show is a consistent good time and James Spader doesn't disappoint as Reddington. They seem to still be exploring who he really is with things from his past still popping up. I don't know how much longer it could really go, but I'll stay until the end!

117) mixed-ish (ABC) (Last Year: 108)

bpgF2uB.png

The second spinoff series of black-ish aired its second and final season this year which saw the younger version of Bo growing up and learning who she is, coming into her identity. The second season felt like it was more focused on the adults than the kids which I kind of liked more. They really came into their characters in the second season. It was always funny, and was a good commentary on the times they were living in and how the world has changed and hasn't in some ways. I'm sad it didn't get renewed but I'm glad we got these two seasons.

116) S.W.A.T. (CBS) (Last Year: 112)

KLeiu9V.png

SWAT leaned into current events this year even more, putting the role of policing under a microscope, and showing how departments can push back against change and resist doing any real action. The main character make sure to not give up and know it's not a change that will happen overnight. The rest of the series focused on other personal issues the team was dealing with and of course the cases of the week. SWAT is always called in for intense standoffs and tough situations. The series moves to another new night when it returns in January moving already from Wednesdays to Fridays and now Sundays.

115) DC's Stargirl (The CW) (Last Year: 61)

F9tPB5K.png

Stargirl returned for its second season and was noticeably darker. One of the things I loved about the first season was the optimism and how much Courtney brought out the good in everyone. With the darker tone and the story leading to very dark moments, it still was very entertaining The season really came together at the end when all the pieces were put together. Some character went in and out of episodes at a time likely due to pandemic filming rules, but hopefully they will all be together more when it returns for season three next year.

114) gen:LOCK (HBO Max)

pmlF6zb.png

This animated series originally aired on Rooster Teeth and then eventually ended up on HBO Max. The second season was taken over by HBO Max and you cold see the change in direction head on. There was an issue with the creator of the series who didn't return. You could see where certain threads left in the first disappeared but I feel like they did a good job making the series feel bigger. The first season struggled to give reasons for why the conflict was happening, but the second season tacked it head on. Some questionable story choices, but they set up an interesting world that it could go in a third season should they renew it.

113) The Neighborhood (CBS) (Last Year: 123)

SLxhvT5.png

This year The neighborhood saw a change in showrunner when the original creator excited the series. There was a noticeable change in the way the series told stories and the jokes felt a lot less corny than they had in earlier seasons. It may be that the show is in a good rhythm now, but I look forward to episodes more than I have ever in the past. The dynamics between all the characters has continued to grow over the years and you can really see it every week. Even the kid who I found annoying in the beginning is less annoying! Progress!

112) A Million Little Things (ABC) (Last Year: 75)

A9nssP0.png

This soapy drama series has started to get on my nerve with the way some characters have been acting of late. I really dislike the storyline with Gary and the fallout of his actions. Aside from Rome and Regina, I feel like Maggie might be the only character I really am rooting for these days. One character was written out and I haven't really missed them. I don't see the show going on for that much longer, but hopefully when the second half of the season returns in the new year, they can correct course.

111) Worst Cooks in America (Food Network) (Last Year: 87)

sZ5w1fO.png

I love Worst Cooks and always find myself laughing at these terrible cooks learning how to make dishes. Some of the contestants are there for the reality show aspect of it, while some actually are trying to get better. There were two seasons again this year. The first one had me baffled with Chef Anne's pick for the finale episode. I know they were going to lose. The second was an All Star/Best of the Worst season which was fun to see recognizable character return for redemption. The series returns in January with a new Chef competing alongside Chef Anne and I can't wait.

110) Diary of a Future president (Disney+) (Last Year: 85)

OKjVeuL.png

I really enjoy this family comedy series about a young girl and her eventual term as President of the United States. The first season last year framed the series as the older character reminiscing from her diary the lessons she learned. This year we saw her future character represented as the younger versions inner thoughts which I thought was a more effective use. We also saw her family grow as her mother and her boyfriend finally moved in together and her brother come into himself and his sexuality. I was disappointed when the series was canceled because there were so many stories that could have been told!

109) Saved by the Bell (Peacock) (Last Year: 96)

Y1C5jNQ.png

Season two of Saved by the Bell came with even less buzz than the first season which still surprises me. I think people still haven't come around to Peacock. It's a shame because this series is really funny. I never was an original Save by the Bell fan so I wasn't drawn as much to the returning original character, and I wanted to see even more of the kid who have been carrying the show for me. You have the over the top Bayside characters balanced out by the more grounded new kids. I really hope they renew it for a third season!

108) FBI: Most Wanted (CBS) (Last Year: 126)

vk5cqzq.png

FBI: Most Wanted saw some more characters come and go this year and the team has evolved in just this year. I find myself enjoying the episodes more and the stories are much more engrossing. They're complex and full of twists and turns and we get to see even more of their personal lives come into play. It's still not as good as the original FBI series but it is miles better than the new spinoff FBI: International. Hopefully there won't be any more cast turnover because it would become too much of a distraction. Bring on the new cases!

107) Doogie Kameāloha, M.D. (Disney+)

92QvX8t.png

This spiritual reboot of Doogie Howser, M.D. sees a young girl who is a brilliant young doctor juggling her life at the hospital, and as you teenager trying to make the best of her unique situation. Her family is her support system, helping her with her struggles and balancing out her life stuck in two worlds. She also deals with her first love, her friendships with her young friends and her peers at the hospital.  It was cute, refreshing, and lovely seeing the Hawaiian scenery. I really hope Disney+ renews this one!

106) I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson (Netflix)

VcDGKvA.png

I know Tim Robinson from his short stint at SNL and I'm glad he kept at it with sketch comedy. This series is a sketch series where Tim appears in most of the sketches and lots of them are really hilarious. I didn't begin the series until this season when I was craving some late night comedy one night SNL was in repeats. There are some sketches that will continue on in the world as viral moments like the Thanksgiving Day Parade one which was hilarious. The guest cast on the show was stellar too. I hope Netflix renews this for more laughs.

105) Love, Victor (hulu) (Last Year: 90)

thxmWcM.png

I didn't understand the relationship between Victor and Benji last season, and this season only made me want them to break up even more. They are not compatible and are at two separate points in their own personal journeys. The alternative relationship possibility they brought in this year felt more natural and less forced and I hope they continue to explore it. The series pulled back a bit more on its reliance on Simon to frame the episodes which was good. The storyline with his family was a clever twist on the expected and Victors friend group remained a highlight of the series.

104) The Republic of Sarah (The CW)

QWcF0O6.png

I love this little series that could. The series follows a town that is about to be taken over by a giant corporation until the people in the town push back and take matters into their own hands. A legal technicality allows the town to succeed from the US and form its own nation. The series sees the uphill struggles they face as a new nation, unable to rely on the things they held for granted as US citizens with a well established government. It was twisty and soapy and it never really stood a chance with it being dumped in the summer. It was funny seeing snow in the middle of summer since it takes place in New Hampshire in the winter.

103) Star Trek: Lower Decks (Paramount+) (Last Year: 40)

CKrKeJE.png

Something about this season felt off to me. I don't know why but I didn't love it just as much as I did in the first season. I guess the initial separating the team part was odd but I don't think that was it. The humor was still there, the deeper emotional ties were there, and it felt just as a part of the Star Trek universe. It was renewed for a third season so hopefully that spark I felt in the first season will return, but either way, I'll be watching it!

102) 4400 (The CW)

p84A651.png

I never watched the original series The 4400 but I was sold on this show after the pilot episode. I love the mystery surrounding the event which took 4400 people from their time periods and dropped them here, i our world today. They all have interesting backstories, nothing that is completely connecting why these people were chosen, but I have my theories. Now that most of the group is outside of the hotel where they were initially held, it feels like things are moving a little faster. Also seeing more of their powers in action is fun.

101) Kid Cosmic (Netflix)

uOu50Ai.png

Kid Cosmic took me a second to fully get into, but once I did, I loved every minute of the ride. A kid finds a bunch of rocks in desert and realizes they have powers. He eventually bestows these special rocks to people he encounters and they become a messy team, helping to tackle an incoming threat that threatens the entire town. Things progressed quicker than I anticipated and the shift in season two was fun. The series was renewed for a third and final season and I can't wait to see how it ends.

So, I see that you are Team Rahim :tsk: At least we can agree that this season was a step down from last season :giraffe: It was still good tho, I'm perched for the next one

Walking dead ?

oooooh a tv list, let me find the ones I know!

On 12/28/2021 at 2:15 AM, Lee!! said:

Lee's Best of 2021

159) Monsters at Work (Disney+)

jYJq8wI.png

Everyone loves Monsters, Inc. and this series picks up following the events of that movie where they are now harnessing energy from laugh power instead of fear. The main story focuses on a new employee who joins after training his whole life to scare, only to find out he now has to make kids laugh. He gets placed in a support staff role to help fix things around the company but always has one foot out the door. He eventually grows to bond with his new coworkers. I was surprised how much Mike and Sulley appeared in the series and it was a nice surprise.

157) Q-Force (Netflix)

WXzKbWq.png

This animated spy comedy focuses on a gay spy and his LGBTQ team. After a promising start to his career, the agency sidelined him due to his sexuality. He and his group latch onto a case which leads them down a big conspiracy which they are well suited to tackle. The series had some good moments, but it doesn't really break any ground in terms of story or animation, aside from it being a mostly LGBTQ cast. It was solid enough that I would watch a second season, but if not, I wouldn't be too upset.

I thought 159was only okay after the premiere, didn't stick with it, seemed too catered to kids and i wanted more.

157 I was really surprised with how much I actually enjoyed it, watched the whole thing in one sitting and wanted more! There's a lot wrong with it, the shoe-horned gay-isms the writers through in to every other line was a tad over done but meh.. going into it with low expectations it wasn't that bad, had a decent plot to keep it going, and was suprised by the nudity as well.

On 12/29/2021 at 1:31 AM, Lee!! said:

Lee's Best of 2021

135) The Chair (Netflix)

rXMAR0h.png

The Chair had a lot of things going for it. The cast was great, the creative forces behind it were good, the premise was solid, and yet it fell flat to me. At times I couldn't tell if it was trying to be a commentary on how far liberal colleges have gone with their wokeness or if it was showing how it was commending them for being a beacon of progress. The story felt unresolved and characters made questionable choices, which make sense at times, but didn't leave an enjoyable viewing for me. I would love to see more and see if they can fine tune things better, but if this is a one off series, I'm glad I watched.

Really wanted to like this but after ep 1 I can't bring myself to watch ep 2, love Sandra so much but I was bored throughout, does it get better? 

On 12/27/2021 at 3:51 AM, Lee!! said:

Lee's Best of 2021

180) Central Park (Apple TV+) (Last Year: 150)

9q8Ph59.png

The first half of the second season of Apple TV+'s Central Park aired this year. We follow the same family living in central park and their lives which almost always find themselves in funny situations.I didn't really love the first season, and I found myself in the same situation in the second season.  Each episode of the musical comedy series feature many songs, but none have really clicked for me. Maybe one this season so far, but I don't even remember the name of it off the top of my head. (I just looked, it was called Trying Too Hard)

176) HouseBroken (Fox)

zRomNHQ.png

HouseBroken has a such a strong voice cast that I knew I had to check this series out. A different type of animated series than most out there, the series follows a group of pets and wild animals who come together for a group therapy session, and we get insights into their wild and crazy lives when their owners aren't around. It was funny at times, but some episodes were a bit boring. It didn't do great in the ratings, but its one of Fox's only self owned animated series after they sold their studio to Disney so they renewed it for a second season.

180 - don't know if i'll continue, the singing really irks me, it doesn't fit, it's too much and it's annoying. I get that it's trying to take a page from Bob's burgers' book  but it doesn't work and evn BB has songless eps (which is preferred there as well!)

176 - Love Lisa Kudrow but after that 1st ep.. no thanks. I'm good.

• ATRL Administrator

Lee's Best of 2021

Top 200 TV Shows of 2021: #100 - #76

100) Heels (Starz)

3FBLqBy.png

Heels is a drama series following a wrestling organization in the south and how it affects a family and their other employees lives. The series title is the name of the "bad guy" in wrestling which we see the two main brothers deal with. There are a lot of far more interesting side characters like Crystal who shines every moment we see her on screen. The series was deeper than I expected and was a different type of family drama series. They are tight knit, argue and fight, but there is a deep bond beneath it all. It will return for a second season next year.

99) Brooklyn Nine-Nine (NBC) (Last Year: 103)

Cemx4ey.png

The final season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine was pretty much perfect. It did a great job honoring the series past and addressing the current issues facing policing today. There were great callbacks to past characters and storylines, and recurring themed episodes. It was funny, heartfelt and was tough saying goodbye to it! We were lucky enough to get these bonus seasons after Fox canceled it, and I am so glad I stuck around for the whole ride.

98) Outer Banks (Netflix)

KPpWNqr.png

Outer Banks follows a group of townies in the Outer Banks of North Carolina as the run into conflicts with the rich kids in town. Along the way, they stumble upon a treasure hunt, which was fun and exciting as well as stressful and full of intrigue. The villains and heroes of the series are complex for a teen drama series and I didn't expect to enjoy this one as much as I did. The main characters dated during the first two seasons and it'll be interesting to see how it plays out now that they broke up when the series returns for a third season next year.

97) DC's Legends of Tomorrow (The CW) (Last Year: 60)

MYZZ9uO.png

Legends of Tomorrow has always been the black sheep of the Arrowverse and continues to be so. This year we got the 100th episode which saw lots of callbacks to seasons past and characters who had left the series years ago. The cast saw a few changes as they regularly do, and we saw one actor play a completely different role in the new season. They tamed back the amount of time travel the series had previously relied on and I kind of miss it. In a way it was nice to stay in a place longer than an episode or two, but the zany chaos of Legends is one of the best parts of the series!

96) Doom Patrol (HBO Max)

rCHTMdj.png

Doom Patrols first season was undeniably its best. Complex yet silly, fun yet serious and always out there. As the series went on, it got a little less exciting and more complicated. The current season was clearly limited with pandemic rules in place. Stories felt choppy, characters were written out, and I was left scratching my head a bunch with the choices they made. It was renewed for a fourth season which will hopefully come out next year. It will also hopefully be a lot better and more fun again.

95) The Great North (Fox)

ypIizPi.png

The Great North is a series set in Alaska where a family find themselves in silly situations often. The characters are blunt and honest and the humor is quirky. Over two seasons they have settled into a fun rhythm and I always look forward to new episodes. The opening theme song is extremely catchy and always gets stuck in my head. It has a great voice cast and the animation in a snowy wilderness setting is exciting and different. The series has already been renewed for a third season.

94) Selena + Chef (HBO Max) (Last Year: 132)

5XS5FLS.png

This show is such a fun and entertaining series. Selena has gotten a lot better in many ways with her cooking abilities, but I still fear for her fingers every single time she picks up a knife. As was the case in the first two seasons, I knew most of the chefs featured in the season and it was fun to see how they all interact with Selena. She is fun and makes it entertaining, even when you can tell shes not into it for certain dishes and prep requirements. It has been renewed for a fourth season and I can't wait for more when they film in a beach house and new kitchen.

93) black-ish (ABC) (Last Year: 78)

ICcX8Zc.png

This series has been a well oiled machine for the past few seasons, tapping into current events and the general feeling in the world, and find ways to make them relatable to families. The characters are still great, the stories are funny, sometimes awkward, but always on point. The series set up two spinoff series with a third spinoff of sorts in the works focusing on a Latin family. I was sad to see this will be the final season coming next year, but it may be time to end it on a high note and keep its legacy strong.

92) Masters of the Universe: Revelation (Netflix)

0quQHN8.png

This show was a mixed bag. I never really watched the original series when I was younger so I just had to go off of my knowledge of the series through pop culture and the toys and figures created from the series. Revelation is a spiritual sequel series to the original series, and had its ups and downs. I preferred the first part of the series, when many fans disliked it. I liked the character growth and the focus on the females after years of tackling the main male characters. The second had was a lot messier, rushed and characters shed almost all their growth from the first half for no good reason. I'd watch if it gets another season.

91) Kevin Can F**K Himself (AMC)

9mNPXud.png

This series intrigued me the instant I heard about the premise, A women living in a multicamera sitcom universe sees her world shift to a single camera drama when she's not dealing with her annoying husband. She eventually decides she's done with him and plans a way to get him out of the picture. The series is loosely inspired by the behind the scenes casting shakeup between the first and second season of the CBS comedy series Kevin Can Wait. It was renewed for a second and final season and I cannot wait to see how they end it. It was twisty and funny and dark. A great combo.

90) Big Shot (Disney+)

2LOWurs.png

Big Shot follows a college basketball coach who loses his temper and gets thrown out of the league. He gets a second chance as a coach at a girls only private school as the high school basketball coach. He initially sees it as a pit stop to getting back into his old job, but he slowly sees that he cares about the girls he coaches. He also reconnects with his daughter who moves in with him. It skirts the cliche of trying to redeem a white man, and actually makes him address his past actions and grow from it. It was a pleasant surprise.

89) F is for Family (Netflix) (Last Year: 89)

1aDMI7F.png

F is for Family picked up shortly after the events of last season and Frank has to deal with a life changing event. It is a final season of growth for each and every character we've gotten to know over the years. It was a fitting sendoff to a comedy that took place in a time not to long ago where things that aren't acceptable now were back then. It was a great comedy with unexpected deeper moments and the stellar voice cast was always on point. I will miss this series and I wish more people watched it!

88) Batwoman (The CW) (Last Year: 80)

lg0Vpf7.png

Batwoman's new lead grew into her role this year. While it may have started a little rocky with the transition between leads, it eventually settled into a great rhythm. It has been firing on all cylinders in the current third season and the additions of Ryan's biological family have paid off well with great twists and reveals. I always love when they give us more Mary, and she's heading for a huge storyline in the back half of the season. Giving Luke a more active role too has been great. Alice has always been the highlight and it was no different this year.

87) The Sinner (USA Network)

LdBQGF7.png

I realized I hadn't watched the third season of The Sinner when I saw they announced the premiere date for the fourth season. I didn't get to watch the new season yet but the third season was again a great take on trying to find the why a crime happened rather than the who done it. I love how each season is a completely different type of mystery held together by one single character. They announced the fourth season would be the final season so I cant wait to see how they end this great series.

86) ) He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (Netflix)

Tl2jwDj.png

I didn't have any real expectations for this new Master of the Universe since all I had watched at the point it aired was the first part of Revelation. I was so happy with what I saw. It was a fun take on the usual He-Man story, remixing characters with a great and different style of animation. It was funny and had a great story that I think was a retelling of the original series with a spin. The animation when they transformed was beautiful and they got the whole "we have the power" which hadn't been done at the time to my knowledge. I hope it comes back for another season because I will be there to enjoy!

85) A.P. Bio (Peacock)

9zU6kOo.png

I didn't love this series when it initially aired on NBC, once it was cancelled and picked up by Peacock I gave it another shot and grew to truly enjoy it. The series follows a philosophy professor who takes a job as an AP Bio teacher at a high school in his home town. He sees it as a stop before he goes on to greatness, but he ends up stuck there with the zany people in town. The teachers he works with were hilarious and the kids he taught were even funnier. Everyone grew from their unconventional set up. It was cancelled after four seasons and I will miss it.

84) The Kominsky Method (Netflix) (Last Year: 92)

9DvoauF.png

The Kominsky Method returned for a final season and without one of its leads who they wrote off and led to an exceptional season dealing with grief, growing, moving on and making the best of the time we have here. It probably was the strongest it ever was with each actor fully committing to their characters. It almost had the flow of a really good play. At first I was sad they announced it as a final season but it was a great way to go out, on top and ending the story on their own terms. Chuck Lorre has hit a high bar for his series going forward.

83) New Amsterdam (NBC) (Last Year: 84)

3YJFydd.png

New Amsterdam dealt with the pandemic head one then in the newest season moved into a post covid world where the fallout in the medical community began to rear its head. Programs cut to make space or have more funds for covid protection needed to be brought back and dealt with. We also saw a shakeup with characters moving away and a new leader coming in and throwing the staff and legacy Max made in chaos. I'm eager to see how things shake out when it returns in January. Its always hopeful but blunt and honest with the state of the world and medicine.

82) American Housewife (ABC) (Last Year: 41)

repckIe.png

American Housewife was still at the top of its game this year and dealt with the recast seamlessly, as if she was there all along. The family comedy always made me laugh and you could tell they weren't ready to end, especially with the cliffhanger ending. The series was cancelled after six seasons and it still bugs me. There was a bunch of behind the scenes shake ups due to many issues so I think that put a wrinkle in the plans for its future. I will miss this one dearly.

81) Cruel Summer (Freeform)

3zRgxsb.png

I was so surprised with how good this teen drama was. The series follows two girls who have their lives change forever when one goes missing. The series follows the two girls and their friends and families at three different years. The first year is the lead up to her disappearance, the second is to her capture and freedom, and the last the year after when there is fallout all around due to the choices they all made. It was twisty and dark and kept the viewers guessing what was really up. It was renewed for a second season but there's no word if it will be a new story, or continuing with the one in the first season.

80) Grace and Frankie (Netflix) (Last Year: 52)

aXSKElc.png

I wasn't expecting to see Grace and Frankie return this year due to pandemic related delays in addition to the main cast's age. Netflix surprise dropped the first four episodes of the final season which were filmed before everything shut down. It left me wanting more and got me excited to see where they go from here. It picked up from the exact moment the last season left us. It was funny as ever and makes me not want to say goodbye to this consistently funny series. It will go down as one of Netflix's longest running series.

79) Debris (NBC)

LIIPyw0.png

Debris surprised me a lot over the course of its single season run. The series takes place in a world where an alien space craft crashed landed on earth, scattering debris from the ship all over. The two leads were government agents from the US and UK on a joint mission to recover and figure out what the pieces are and do. Strange phenomenon happen surrounding the pieces and it led to some incredible episodes. The two part episodes "Do You Know Icarus?" and "I Am Icarus" may go down as my favorite episodes of the year. I was drawn in so deep into that story, but some episodes were a little slow. I was sad they didn't renew it and more people should have given it a chance. 

78) Grey's Anatomy (ABC) (Last Year: 57)

BBdYU6r.png

I'm still watching Greys all these years later and have no intentions of stopping unless the series comes to an end. The new season feels fresh after the dark and depressing season last year which focused mainly on covid and Meredith's fight with the disease. We see Meredith in a new direction this year working on a study to try and cure Parkinsons. The season was back to its soapy drama, and we see new relationships come and some fade. We also were left with a big cliffhanger at the end of the year which I can't wait to see when it returns in February.

77) Pacific Rim: The Black (Netflix)

ai25ZJ5.png

I really enjoyed the first Pacific Rim movie and then forgot all about the universe. There was a second movie, but I never actually got around to watching it. When I saw Netflix had an animated Pacific Rim series coming out I knew I had to check it out. The series began with a community which has avoided the Kaiju. Two kids stumble upon a Jaeger, the robotic machine which is the front line weapon in the war against the Kaiju. They end up on the run and end up finding a mysterious child who become vital to the evolution of the world we thought we know in Pacific Rim. It was renewed and I can't wait for more episodes.

76) Ghosts (CBS)

n50KR7Q.png

Ghosts is an American remake of the British series of the same name which I have been watching since it premiered. The American series remakes some of the original series episodes with their own twists, but they make them feel special in their own way. The series has also done a few original episodes which have been funny and charming and something I look forward to every week. Rose McIver is a gift and I've loved her since iZombie and she's perfect in the role. The series has a full season order and is one of the top performing comedies so I'm certain it will return for a second season next season. Don't miss out on this one. You will love it!

1 hour ago, Lee!! said:

New Amsterdam (NBC)

I just watched half of the first season and I thought it was pretty good. :cool:

9 hours ago, Lee!! said:

100) Heels (Starz)

81) Cruel Summer (Freeform)

99) Brooklyn Nine-Nine (NBC) (Last Year: 103)

96) Doom Patrol (HBO Max)

I enjoyed all of these this year. sad to see B99 ending :(

Maybe I should go back and catch up to blackish since it's ending, I stopped around season 5 I think. Also, Grey's Anatomy HAS to end, the show became complete garbage

• ATRL Administrator

Lee's Best of 2021

Top 200 TV Shows of 2021: #75 - #51

75) Magnum P.I. (CBS) (Last Year: 135)

ohCX85j.png

I really grew to appreciate this underrated series. A remake of the classic series, Magnum is a private investigator who helps solve cases along with his partner and friends, helping those who don't want to go to the police. The series is consistently fun and the Hawaiian backdrop is beautiful. The cases always have good twists and I really began to look forward to new episodes every Friday this year. Hopefully they'll bring it back for another season and I'd be surprised if they don't.

74) DC Super Hero Girls (Cartoon Network) (Last Year: 79)

GTeXRp4.png

This animated series follows teenage versions of iconic superheroes including Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, Green Lantern, Bumblebee and Zatanna. Each episode sees the girls deal with a different issue whether it be protecting the city from villains or dealing with high school drama. Other classic characters like Aqualad, Green Lantern, The Flash and The Joker show up and it is a fun take on the superhero genre.

73) Trickster (The CW)

mIt6UuR.png

This series is based on a book series which follows an indigenous teen who is struggling with the community he lives in, his dysfunctional family and a mysterious presence which seems to be following him. Things go haywire and it was a dark and interesting original series. It was renewed for a second season, but was inevitably cancelled once the news came out that one of the creators who claimed to have indigenous ancestry actually didn't. It was such a shame that one person's actions could ruin a show with so many indigenous actors and behind the scenes crew working on it.

72) United States of Al (CBS)

eXvkIAi.png

United States of Al follows an Afghan who helped the US during the war as he moves to the US and lives with a marine he served with and his family. The vet has issues and trauma in his past due to the war and the two have a very close bond. In the second season they tackled the fall of Afghanistan in a touching, real and emotional episode as Al's sister attempted to flee the country before the Taliban got to her. The show has a lot of heart, highlights vets and the issues they face once back home, and manages to strike the right balance of humor.

71) Ghosts (HBO Max) (Last Year: 95)

qh72SQt.png

The original Ghosts series returned for a new season this year and it had a really strong story that carried through the whole season involving a potential long lost relative. It brought the ghosts and Alison even closer than they have ever been. It was funny, fresh and made me laugh a whole lot over the season. They also had another Christmas episode which was another great episode. The US version was lucky to have such a solid base to start with in the original series. I cant wait for more episodes.

70) DOTA: Dragon's Blood (Netflix)

Tkv8Kck.png

DOTA: Dragons Blood is an animated series inspired by the video game series of the same name. I never really played any of the games, but I know they are a popular franchise. The animation style looked really good so I decided to check it out. The story was darker than I expected and had a lot of twists which provided for an interesting ride. The series is returning for a second "book" which will be premiering in January. I can't wait to see where they go next.

69) Why Are You Like This (Netflix)

bpIl300.png

I had not heard about this series until one day the trailer for it appeared when I opened up Netflix. The series follows three friends who live together and find themselves struggling to be the woke and open minded people they aspire to be. They're actually terrible people at times, and often cause more issues than those they are trying to solve. It was funny and a great surprise. I really hope this Australian series returns for another season!

68) Superstore (NBC) (Last Year: 50)

rkBtpyJ.png

Superstore ended this year after six solid seasons. The show embraced the pandemic the entire final season and I think it worked well for the series. The characters all got good sendoffs and it really showed me how invested I got into them. We even saw the return of a character who exited the series in the previous season which was a great surprise. The show always made me laugh and I already miss it. If you are looking for a solid laugh in a pinch, turn this one on.

67) Martha Gets Down and Dirty (Discovery+) (Last Year (kinda): 27)

xyJCMT1.png

Martha Stewart returned with a new series after doing two series of Martha Knows Best on HGTV. This new series aired on Discovery+ and was pretty much an exact copy of the original series. The only real difference was the name. The series follows Martha at home as she does work around her property, preparing for summer, decorating for holidays, giving advice to fans and celebrities, and always cracking jokes and the expense of her coworkers. I hope they make more episodes!

66) Trese (Netflix)

V3OZ19a.png

Trese is an adaptation of a Filipino horror comic series. The series had a heavy Filipino recorded many voice casts for different languages, and the English versions featured many Filipino American actors. The show was dark filled with supernatural criminal forces and the story was really compelling. I binged it quick and was left wanting more. The animation was great and the voice acting was solid. I wish more people checked this one out because I think people would really enjoy it. It's unique and a great ride.

65) The Flash (The CW) (Last Year: 67)

luWdUb2.png

I can't quit this show, even though it has noticeably gone down hill in recent years. This year there were some okay episodes and a few great ones. They did a special five week event called Armageddon which saw other actors from the Arrowverse pop up, but it was hit and miss. The overall story was okay, but some choices they made were questionable. We should see the return of Barry and Iris's kids in the new year and I'm excited to see them again.

64) Hit-Monkey (hulu)

JZzE8Mc.png

After MODOK, this was the second and final hulu animated Marvel series to get made. I didn't know much about the comic Hit-Monkey character so I went in blind. I enjoyed it so much. The voice cast was so good and the story they told over the whole season was so well done. A monkey sees his whole pack of fellow monkeys murdered and takes up murder and revenge as the spirit of a hit man bonds with him, helping him on his journey. It was poignant at times, and I loved the cliffhanger. I really hope we get more episodes.

63) The Harper House (Paramount+)

LhivyWN.png

This animated comedy series follows a family who moves into an old house after they lose their money and have to adjust to a more simple life. The characters were all unique and the voice cast was so good. Rhea Seehorn as Debbie Harper was something I never knew I needed. She brought so much life to her character! It was always funny and poked fun a lots of things. The series didn't really get a chance as it was cancelled shortly after the final episode of the season aired.

62) Good Trouble (Freeform) (Last Year: 56)

IQOBPbY.png

Good Trouble returned for another great series following a great cast of characters growing up and becoming who they are meant to be. They continued living together in the community living facility they all live in, and we saw them all deal with more real world issues. It always found ways to push the boundaries on unique stories, and as someone who never watched The Fosters, the series stand on its own extremely well. I can't wait for more episodes.

61) The Good Doctor (ABC) (Last Year: 36)

X0yVL9f.png

The Good Doctor had another great year of telling medical stories. In a world with so many medical dramas, it keeps finding ways to feel special and unique. This year we saw a few new cast members join, and some surprising exits. It's always interesting to see how they use Shaun's autism and how he handles different situations like his blossoming relationship and thoughts on parenthood. I'm behind on a few episodes, but it wont be back immediately so I have time to catch up before it returns.

60) Harlem (Prime Video)

smm1SYa.png

Harlem is a series about four friends living in Harlem, New York City. They always can lean on each other when it comes to relationship issues, work problems, and the ever changing community which they see disappearing before their eyes. The series becomes so confident as it goes on and i found myself loving each episode more and more as the season progressed. It has a great cast, and the comedy elements were perfect. I really hope they renew this one. It's really good.

59) Blade Runner: Black Lotus (adult swim)

LzRrIn2.png

I love Blade Runner. I love Blade Runner 2049. I loved the Blade Runner shorts leading up to 2049. When I heard they were doing an anime series set in the Blade Runner universe, I was sold. The animation is impressive and the story is really interesting. You can see how it fits into the bigger universe yet it feels like its own distinct series. I love the voice cast and I find myself really excited for new episodes. The series is a collaboration with Crunchyroll so hopefully it increases the chances of a renewal. I will watch any Blade Runner content, so bring it on!

58) Kung Fu (The CW)

a6ZBedU.png

Kung Fu is a new series which is a remake of the series Kung Fu. This time the cast is heavily focused on a Chinese American family. The martial arts aspect of it is a great draw, but it was a show about family at the heart of it. The series got better as it progressed, and the action scenes improved too. By the finale. I was fully engrossed. It'll be interesting to see where the story goes from here. New episodes return in March and I can't wait to have all these great characters back!

57) Bob Hearts Abishola (CBS) (Last Year: 55)

d7QFDKF.png

I love this romantic comedy series. Bob owns a successful small sock company and Abishola is a nurse, hoping to become a doctor one day. The two go through the ups and downs of a relationship and this year had to deal with her ex and her son's father coming back into the picture. There were a great bunch of episodes set in Nigeria. The characters are hilarious and the relationship feels real. The cast has such a great chemistry that I love when they all interact.

56) The Rookie (ABC) (Last Year: 88)

FvNpgjo.png

The Rookie keeps getting better as it goes on. This year they did a bunch of great stories, some which tackle the effectiveness of policing, especially in a big department like LA. The series also saw a shocking exit which I didn't see coming but they did a good job incorporating it into the current storylines. We got to see more of Nolan's relationship this season and hopefully we get a relationship between two characters I've been waiting for seasons to happen. They're definitely planting the seeds for it!

55) Clarice (CBS)

oauA4ZS.png

Clarice is a spiritual sequel to Silence of the Lambs which sees Clarice get back into the job, taking on a new serial killer. The show was slow at times, but I found it truly compelling. The characters all felt real, and they were all filled with interesting back stories. The ratings were soft, but the network was looking at moving it to Paramount+ like SEAL Team. After a few days, the tentative deal fell through, and the series never made the move, ending after one solid season. I would have loved to see more stories.

54) Only Murders in the Building (hulu)

BZWluMO.png

I honestly didn't get the hype for the show after the first few episodes. I fell behind, and then saw people raving about the episode where it was mostly silent. I caught up and once I got to that episode, I was hooked. It really got better as it went on. The investigation into the murder in their building got really twisty, and really exciting. The finale episode did a great job wrapping up parts of the story while also launching a new mystery to come in the second series. The cast was phenomenal and I can't wait for more.

53) Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist (NBC/Roku) (Last Year: 49)

QOoGU7w.png

I love this musical romantic comedy series. The second season saw Zoey deal with the emotions of losing a loved one who meant so much to her. We also see her deal with relationships between two love interests. She needs to figure out herself and what she wants and has an ability to hear other peoples emotions through songs which she sees them perform. The second season ended on a huge cliffhanger and was cancelled by NBC after two seasons. Roku stepped up and picked up the series for a wrap up Christmas movie which was cute, which could also potentially be a launching pad for new seasons should it perform well enough. I hope it gets more. I'll take more movies too!

52) Shrill (hulu) (Last Year: 62)

hDnBINy.png

Shrill really became a great series in its final season. The show became really confident in the show it wanted to be and the story it wanted to tell. The series finale episode ended unexpectedly, but it really felt fitting for these characters who are still trying to figure everything out. If this show was as confident as it was at the start, it could have gone on for much longer, but it had a great run. Aidy really became this character and I can't wait to see what she does next, well aside from SNL.

51) Top Chef (Bravo) (Last Year: 54)

7HRlvCQ.png

Top Chef may have had one of its strongest seasons this year. The chefs features on this season were all great, and the villains of the season didn't really exist or take it down at all. I was rooting for all of the final three and would have been happy with any of them winning. Then it came out that the winner did some creepy and shady things to employees at his restaurant and the series kind of moved on from celebrating him in an instant. He likely won't appear in future seasons, but it's a shame his actions sullied the end of an exceptional season. I can't wait for the next season next year!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Haven't seen any from these lists :dancehall:

Just now catching up on the TV list, I mainly watched older shows this year but some of these I saw and enjoyed like Heels and Only Murders.

I saw a few episodes of Only Murders, wasn't too keen on it.

Still no MCU series in sight :gaycat3: Oooh Outer Banks was one of the very few shows I watched and season 2 was good. I started watching that one thinking it was going to suck. I heavily thought about checking Only Murders In the Building but by now I think I've moved on...

The Good Doctor was qt. Only Whispers too low :(

• ATRL Administrator

Lee's Best of 2021

Top 200 TV Shows of 2021: #50 - #26

50) Rick and Morty (adult swim) (Last Year: 45)

I8xe8P9.png

This season of Rick and Morty got even deeper than ever before. Rather than a feeling of one off fun random mystery adventures with Rick and Morty and other family members tagging along, there were some bigger threads which carried through episodes and connected to ones in the past. The finale was an interesting one which moved the story into a new direction. It still has a bunch of episodes left in its order so they must be planning to go even further as it goes on.

49) The Boys (Prime Video) (Last Year: 70)

bA0H8YW.png

Last year I had only watched the first season of The Boys. and this year I got to watch the second. The series took an even darker turn and got deeper into the anti-hero superhero series. Homelander is growing even scarier as the series progresses and allegiances seem to be shifting somewhat. The new season will be out sometime this year plus they ordered a spinoff set at a superhero college and an animated series which will help expand the universe even more.

48) Run The World (Starz)

k2NYDF0.png

Run The World is another series with an almost entirely black cast set in Harlem New York following the lives of four young women dealing with life moments and evaluating where they are in life currently. The four girls had such a bond that felt real immediately. It was refreshing and fun, and also touched on some real issues. I've pretty much watched everything Amber Stevens has been in since Greek but once I was hooked, I was watching it for all the characters.

47) What If...? (Disney+)

8TiYBtN.png

As a comic fan, I always enjoyed the one off What If comic storylines which took well known Marvel characters and put a different spin on their stories, seeing what would happen is something in their lives changed and altered their destinies. This series was a collection of What If storylines which surprisingly took a detour and connected in fascinating way. I loved seeing all the different versions of character we've gotten to know in the MCU and hopefully we will see some of them pop up in live action series and films ones day! Bring on season two!

46) Black Lightning (The CW) (Last Year: 38)

FJzbc4k.png

Black Lightning has consistently been one of the best Arrowverse series. This year, the final season aired, catching me and clearly the writers off guard. Some storylines they likely were building to got changed or dropped, plus with the pandemic, they were limited with some of the things they could do. I didn't really like the way they eventually dealt with the Lightning actress change, and it would have been a lot better had it gotten time to develop. The finale was a bit strange, but the series legacy is still strong. The backdoor pilot didn't get picked but, buts we got to see Jefferson show up on The Flash this year, so there's always a possibility we can see some of these characters again.

45) Girls5eva (Peacock)

OD9NiM2.png

Girls5eva is such a delight. The series follows a group of a former pop girl group who reunite to give fame a second shot after one of their songs old gets sampled and becomes a viral hit. Each of the girls are in different places in their lives. One is pretending to live a lavish life, one is content being no one special and just being a mom and a wife in Queens. One is a dentist and the other is living in a one sided marriage. They each want to change the course of their lives but they constantly are questioning their choices to try at it again. The music is catchy, the humor is spot on and the characters are hilarious.

44) Mom (CBS) (Last Year: 42)

uxUngW3.png

Mom returned for a final season highlighting how far each of the women in the Alcoholics Anonymous group have come. They're much stronger ad confident women who can handle most situations that are thrown their way. Their bond ended as strong as ever, and it ended up becoming such a solid series. The best thing the series did was adjusting its premise early on. Otherwise, it would have never become this great show. We didn't get to see Christy but it didn't hinder the final season. I already miss this series.

43) The Outpost (The CW) (Last Year: 125)

RABARvP.png

The Outpost returned for a fourth round of episodes. Technically a part of season 3, but aired as season four, we saw the epic story come to an end. The series was announced to be ending partway through the season and you can tell they knew they were heading that direction. We saw characters killed off, a tight story resolving the issues of the final season and they connected to the bigger picture of the entire series. As always talon kicked ass and we finally got to see who ended up on the throne. The final season was so good and I will miss this series next summer.

42) FBI (CBS) (Last Year: 44)

QVuVksx.png

FBI returned for more complicated yet great cases which led to even more twists and turns as they attempted to catch the bad guy. What I love most about this series as opposed to FBI: Most Wanted, is that we don't know who "done it" immediately where Most Wanted we know who did it and the premise if catching them. The mystery of not knowing adds to the excitement. The cast is solid, and they did a good job addressing issues with law enforcement. The series returns for new episodes this week and I'm excited!

41) The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (Disney+)

qO9Q1Hi.png

This Marvel series was intended to be the first series for Disney+ in the MCU but was delayed due to the pandemic,. It ended up airing after WandaVision and while it was good, it was probably the least special of all the live action series so far. I still really enjoyed it, but it just felt like a longer form typical Marvel movie. It had some really great moments, the story was interesting and it sent a bunch of characters on a new trajectory. I would love to see them do another season of this.

40) Lost in Space (Netflix) (Last Year: 68)

ouYMpIP.png

Lost In Space returned for its third and final season, initially picking up from the moment we left in season two. We then saw a time jump to account for the kids getting older in the time between seasons. It then brought all the characters back together and set up a big final threat to their intentions of reaching their new home planet to start their lives again. Each of the characters have come a long way since we first met them and the love between Will and Robot was a true highlight of the series. The storyline was emotional and I enjoyed every moment of it. I will miss this series.

39) Locke & Key (Netflix) (Last Year: 33)

YfVE55F.png

Season two of Locke & Key aired this year and picked up with the kids settling into the house and their new lives as they continue finding keys around. They share the secret with their friends, and we get to see how and why adults can't remember the keys. The story didn't skip a beat between seasons and I still enjoyed this series, even if it take a different path than the original exceptional comic series. The series was renewed for a third season before the second aired, and was filmed back to back. It should air sometime this year.

38) Adventure Time: Distant Lands (HBO Max) (Last Year: 23)

EqEqN2R.png

The final two episodes of the Adventure Time mini series aired this year, focusing on Finn and Jake in a future after the end of the original series and the second focusing on Peppermint Butler and him at wizarding school. They were both great episodes with unexpected emotional depth. I was hoping they would do another miniseries, but instead they announced they will be making a spinoff series of the original series focused on the characters Fionna and Cake who appeared in the gender bent episodes as female Finn and Jake characters. I'm excited to check it out.

37) The Witcher (Netflix)

46ZITYm.png

I didn't get to watch The Witcher when it first aired, but I was finally able to watch the first season this year. It's a solid series with some great characters. It was strange how the story didn't really come together until the end as they were all set in different time periods. Once it made sense how it all fit in, it was really good. They also aired an animated prequel movie The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf which was a good way to fill in some background about the world and made it feel more complete. There's also a spinoff live action series coming soon plus the second season came out at the end of 2021 and I cant wait to finally get to watch it.

36) This Is Us (NBC) (Last Year: 34)

5bQn6Zy.png

This Is Us gave us a lot of twists as it prepared to head into its final season. The finale was shocking setting up an unexpected endgame. The series has had such a great run, there's a lot of pressure on this final season to end it on an even stronger note. I have so much faith in them delivering and I can't wait for it to premiere this week. There's a lot to wrap up, but they still have lots of time to give us some great emotional storytelling and bring even more layers to these great characters. I don't want it to end!

35) It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FXX)

He0ThP3.png

After a year break, Sunny returned for another hilarious new season. The show filled in what the gang had been doing in the year between seasons and tied it into the pandemic, the election and even more real world issues. The first half dealt mainly with catching up while the second half had the gang head to Ireland for some incredible fun stories. It was a fun change seeing the gang outside of Philly for a while and didn't skip a beat. The series has been renewed for additional seasons and they can't get here soon enough.

34) Prodigal Son (Fox) (Last Year: 31)

PI5Kgyt.png

Prodigal Son was such an underrated series. The ratings in the second season dropped off a bit, but the story was just as much exciting and twisty as the first. They had some great creepy cases, and the story about the Surgeon and his life outside of the prison. The cliffhanger ending was so good and I was so disappointed when they cancelled the series after just two seasons. It deserved to go on for a lot longer than it did and I miss it a lot.

33) Tuca & Bertie (adult swim) (Last Year: 93)

iTW8kk9.png

Tuca & Bertie returned to our screens now on adult swim after initially being canceled after one season on Netflix. The show didn't skip a beat, and jumped right into the issues Tuca and Bertie both run into in their lives. They struggle with relationship issues, their friendship straining as they get older, and yet always remember how much they truly love and care for each other. I miss the longer opening titles that aired on Netflix, but that is probably the biggest issue I had with the series. It was renewed for a third season and I hope it returns sooner than later! I really love this series.

32) Superman and Lois (The CW)

6b0n2BB.png

I initially expected Superman and Lois to be another cookie cutter Arrowverse series, but instead, it took a different style that felt way more cinematic and larger than any other of the series in the universe. Black Lightning had its own unique take on the superhero series, but this may be even better. It was a show about family at its heart, and the super hero-ing was less prominent, but just as important. It felt fresh and exciting and I was surprised when The CW left it off of their fall schedule. The new season kicks off in a couple weeks leading into another new superhero series, Naomi.

31) The Sex Lives of College Girls (HBO Max)

8T1kWJt.png

Mindy Kaling has another series on the air focusing on young girls coming of age and tackling bigger issues than usual high school and college series. The show was fresh and felt super cool. It felt natural and not forced. It reminded me of some of the best college movies. The show wasn't just about sex, but tackled all different subjects young women face, especially as they come into who they're supposed to be in their own eyes, and the eyes of those around them. It was smart and funny and has been renewed for a second season. I can't wait for more episodes. It's so good!

30) Lucifer (Fox) (Last Year: 26)

JaaAd39.png

Lucifer returned for the second half of its fifth season which was delayed due to the pandemic, and a final season which did a great job wrapping everything up. It was initially set to end last season but fan demand for more got it renewed for a final additional run. Fox was crazy letting go of this great series, but I'm so glad Netflix saw the potential and gave it more seasons. The characters truly came into themselves and everyone got a fitting ending, showing the growth they all made over the course of the series, and felt natural. The finale was unexpected but leaned into the spiritual aspect of the series which has always been a part of it. I will miss this one.

29) Star Wars: Visions (Disney+)

zq5zFdr.png

Visions was an anthology series where anime studios were given the opportunity to create their own stories, set in the bigger universe of Star Wars. They were all one off episodes which varied in success, but as a whole, the series was really enjoyable. It was great seeing the potential the universe has created for additional original storytelling outside of the Skywalker story. The Duel and The Ninth Jedi were easily the strongest episodes and I would love to visit those stories again. I really hope they continue this series.

28) Doctor Who (BBC America) (Last Year: 71)

LEF7wF1.png

After years of less exciting seasons and storylines this season Doctor Who took a different approach to the storytelling, having the entire season be one story over the course of six episodes. It was a solid way to keep the set tighter in the time of the pandemic, so cast members aren't coming and going, but appear multiple times over multiple episodes making for a stronger more thought out story. The time for the current Doctor is coming to an end and she will appear in three specials. The first aired today with two more coming later this year. RTD will be returning for the next season in 2023 with a new Doctor. I'll be sad to see Jodie go, but I'm excited to see where it goes next with RTD back at the helm. His seasons were easily the strongest of the reboot run.

27) Blood & Water (Netflix) (Last Year: 35)

ZQf9VN2.png

After a really surprising first season, I was so excited to see where the second season would go. This teen mystery drama was so much more than your usual teen drama. The characters were all well thought out, were layered and did such a great job telling the story. The series follows a girl whose older sister was taken and she thinks she finds her sister, but begins investigating and gets tied up in her world. The second season gives us definitive answers instead of skating around the issue like other series probably would have done to draw out suspense. The finale set up so much potential in a third season and I will be so disappointed if it doesn't get renewed. It's so good. There are so few South African series available here, offering a unique experience in a place not seen often and I need more, friend.

26) Final Space (adult swim)

qW8K6Qq.png

After another long gap between seasons, Final Space returned for a new one, on adult swim again with a second airing on TBS, its initial home network. This season was very heavy and dark. I expected some light to help balance it out, but they leaned into the dark heavy. Character died, some sacrificing themselves, others not so much, but it was bold storytelling. The cliffhanger set up in the finale was just as dark and the fact that they cancelled the series on that note is such a disappointment. The series deserves a wrap up to complete the story and give fans something to be happy about after such a dark season. I wish we could get more. We need it. We deserve it. Damn it sucks rethinking about so much unresolved storylines. Damn. I NEED MORE DAMNIT.

43 minutes ago, Lee!! said:

Never get tired of it.

7 hours ago, Lee!! said:

54) Only Murders in the Building (hulu)

49) The Boys (Prime Video) (Last Year: 70)

45) Girls5eva (Peacock)

37) The Witcher (Netflix)

36) This Is Us (NBC) (Last Year: 34)
34) Prodigal Son (Fox) (Last Year: 31)

Favs :heart:

Prodigal Son had so much potential :(

I'm waiting for more season of Superman and Lois before watching, Arrowverse shows start great then become unwatchable

Edited by McNulty

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.