Jump to content

Country With The Saddest History?


AbeHicks
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Jotham

    2

  • Jan

    5

  • AbeHicks

    3

  • CBC

    2

Top Posters In This Topic

Haiti

Dr Congo (this one has to be seen to be understood, King Leopold was just something else too) 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2021 at 4:01 PM, Kevin Parker said:

The fact that it has all the potential in the world and now over 40% of its population is poor.

This is what socialism does to a country. In particular Latin countries where the government is corrupted and the people are so easy to manipulate with Populism. Same thing happened to Venezuela and Cuba and will happen to Mexico and Peru if they continue supporting leftist trash. 
 

OT: Probably Poland. It has been invaded, destroyed and mass murdered countless times with minimum reason. It just happened to be on the way for European dictators. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mr.Link said:

This is what socialism does to a country. In particular Latin countries where the government is corrupted and the people are so easy to manipulate with Populism. Same thing happened to Venezuela and Cuba and will happen to Mexico and Peru if they continue supporting leftist trash. 

To be fair, both the left and right share equal fault. What the US-sponsored dictatorship did to Argentina left a lifetime wound; what Menem did was absolutely atrocious; what Mauricio Macri did (IMF deal) was irreversible. Argentina is doomed and there is no hope. Buenos Aires literally just entered the Top 10 cheapest cities for tourists on Earth, alongside African and Middle Eastern cities where war and poverty prevail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Polish ppl saying Poland . mess. Like it didn't rule the north eastern part of Europe for almost 800 years. It has rich history, kingdoms, culture etc.  I was in poland for 6 months and they are super weird. Like playing all innocent, we are victims card because of ww2 but at the same time they don't like Germany because of the past, don't like Czechs because they never fought back, don't like western ukranians because w Ukraine was Polish but at the same time they are seeing themselves as better then other slavs. Really messy nation.

 

Would say former colonies  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not from that country but I'd definitely say Armenia.

 

Several occupations, huge territorial losses, a genocide, ongoing war with Azerbaijan. 

Edited by the good guy_duh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Russia for having countless bloody wars and famines throughout centuries. China also had massive casualties in wars and famines, and also natural disasters.

 

Belarus and Poland for being destroyed by Nazis on their way to capture USSR. One third of Belarus was killed and burnt during WWII.

 

Armenia for being terrorized by its neighbors who act like nothing has happened.

 

Subsaharan Africa for being a enslaved and robbed by Western Europeans

 

Haiti for slavery, and now constant natural disasters. 
 

And Middle east used to be a leading civilization, but now deteriorated significantly 

Edited by Blue Jeans
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, hummingbird12 said:

Polish ppl saying Poland . mess. Like it didn't rule the north eastern part of Europe for almost 800 years. It has rich history, kingdoms, culture etc.  I was in poland for 6 months and they are super weird. Like playing all innocent, we are victims card because of ww2 but at the same time they don't like Germany because of the past, don't like Czechs because they never fought back, don't like western ukranians because w Ukraine was Polish but at the same time they are seeing themselves as better then other slavs. Really messy nation.

 

Would say former colonies  

All of that is False, Poland is good with all of its neighbours. It's not like the Balkans that all genuinely hate each other :skull:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Mr.Link said:

This is what socialism does to a country. 

What are you talking about? Argentina had *multiple* military coups backed by the US during the cold war the second things didn't go their way.  :deadbanana4:

 

Argentina was literally at it's best since decades during the peak of left-wing Kirchner era. Their economy had the second largest yearly growth in Latin America during most of the 2000s and poverty rates were under 15%. 2015-2019 Macri's neolib policies is one of the main reasons Argentina's current situation is looking what it currently is.

 

Y'all really need to stop getting in here and just saying anything.

Edited by Scars
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2021 at 12:26 AM, AbeHicks said:

So many people are mentioning Poland. I know nothing about what happened there. Will have to look into it.

https://ic.pics.livejournal.com/cherubrawk/9666602/110843/110843_original.gif

The partitioning of Poland by the neighbouring powers (Russia, Prussia, Austria and later Germany) many times till there is nothing left.

 

When the Polish ask Napoleon, Churchill,... for help, it was close to the Napoleon's downfall, the fall of the British Empire,... So if the Polish ask you for help, it can only mean one thing: Your downfall is near.

 

Anytime they think there is hope, it is getting crushed again. Even now they are on the way towards the prosperity comparable to Germany (like not wanting to do jobs with bad work life balance and import truck drivers from poor countries like the Ukraine) and suddenly they have to chase the forbidden fruits of fascism, homophobia,... because they want to show that they ain't gonna bend the knee for Brussels and liberal, progressive Western Europe just like they don't want to bend the knee for Moscow.

Edited by katykater
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Scars said:

Macri's neolib policies is one of the main reasons Argentina's current situation is looking what it currently is.

Is that why the Ks are entertaining the masses with polenta and taxing the hell out of every foreign company while they embezzle thousands of dollars? People can’t even afford to eat meat in the country. Macri was a terrible president but the damage was already done before him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, hummingbird12 said:

Polish ppl saying Poland . mess. Like it didn't rule the north eastern part of Europe for almost 800 years. It has rich history, kingdoms, culture etc.  I was in poland for 6 months and they are super weird. Like playing all innocent, we are victims card because of ww2 but at the same time they don't like Germany because of the past, don't like Czechs because they never fought back, don't like western ukranians because w Ukraine was Polish but at the same time they are seeing themselves as better then other slavs. Really messy nation.

 

Would say former colonies  

It... didn’t rule north eastern Europe for  800 years. :rip: It ruled Livonia, which is the closest to north eastern Europe of all territories Poland (or Poland-Lithuania to be more precise) ever ruled for maybe like 200.

 

Poland has a rich heritage, problem is about 50% of it is lost forever thanks to a certain charismatic Austrian painter.

 

Poland has had some bad blood with Ukrainians in the past, but it’s not black and white. Ukrainian nationalists massacred up to 100,000 Poles during late WWII in Volhynia. Sure, Poland has made attempts to assimilate Belarussians and Ukrainians in the Interwar period, but it was never hard pressure, there were Ukrainian and Belarussian schools and the ethnic minorities were represented in the Sejm. Plus no Polish government ever made claims to former territories annexed by the Soviet Union, unlike Germany - with Western Germany refusing to accept the Oder-Neisse line as the Polish-German border until 1970, and ultimately the early 1990s.

Edited by Jan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Jan said:

Poland has a rich heritage, problem is about 50% of it is lost forever thanks to a certain charismatic Austrian painter.

Someone let that Austrian painter flop and he made a profession change towards politics. It was way worse than movie promo.

Edited by katykater
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Jan said:

It... didn’t rule north eastern Europe for  800 years. :rip: It ruled Livonia, which is the closest to north eastern Europe of all territories Poland (or Poland-Lithuania to be more precise) ever ruled for maybe like 200.

 

Poland has a rich heritage, problem is about 50% of it is lost forever thanks to a certain charismatic Austrian painter.

 

All in all i wouldn't put in the same sentence Poland and most of African and Caribbean countries, fuck even some Asian countries. Did Poland had some rough moments -yes, did any former "eastern block" country had territories taken away, undergo assimilation and some sort of genocide- yes. Like look at the Balkans. 30 years ago you had war and ethnic cleansing, WW2 was a huge mess, WWI the same, before that 5 years of Balkan wars, before that ottoman rule where they tried to impose islam .... Even nowdays Bosnia, Macedonia, Kosovo, Serbia are one of the poorest european nations. Even totalitarian Belarus has bigger GDP per capita than those countries that are every 30 years in war. 

 

Shit happens but seeing how Polish people like to have it's version of Weltschmerz is astonishing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hummingbird12 said:

All in all i wouldn't put in the same sentence Poland and most of African and Caribbean countries, fuck even some Asian countries. Did Poland had some rough moments -yes, did any former "eastern block" country had territories taken away, undergo assimilation and some sort of genocide- yes. Like look at the Balkans. 30 years ago you had war and ethnic cleansing, WW2 was a huge mess, WWI the same, before that 5 years of Balkan wars, before that ottoman rule where they tried to impose islam .... Even nowdays Bosnia, Macedonia, Kosovo, Serbia are one of the poorest european nations. Even totalitarian Belarus has bigger GDP per capita than those countries that are every 30 years in war. 

 

Shit happens but seeing how Polish people like to have it's version of Weltschmerz is astonishing.  

The thread title is „Country With The Saddest History?” Not present, or future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2021 at 7:49 PM, katara said:

Africa

Since when Africa is a country?

 

 

:ace::ace::ace:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Mr.Link said:

 Macri was a terrible president but the damage was already done before him.

Screaming that you had to drop the "commies destroyed Argentina" random narrative and switch to "their neolib puppy was shitty but that's not the point" for a minute. :deadbanana4:

 

It's true that Argentina struggled in the early 2010s like most MERCOSUL economies, Kirchner party also lost the majority of seats in congress and her governability was in the gutter which didn't help at all, but it doesn't change the fact that poverty was at an all time low since decades during most of the 2000s. You don't get to complain that people can't eat meat while shitting on welfare policies that ensured food stability to the country for the first time in decades.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Philippines.

Once ruled by a kleptocrat dictator, who is still currently holding the Guinness Record for Greatest Robbery of a Government, that placed the entire country under martial law which resulted in extreme poverty and debt crisis. Now, his son is running for presidency and could possibly turn him into a national hero. :rip:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haiti and South Africa

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...