• CBC

Top Posters In This Topic

Armenia (!!!!!!)

Doctor Congo

Haiti

Baltic states

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Also, Circassians even though they don't have a country for themselves today

I don't think there's one singular country with the saddest history, there are many of them with really dark ones. The Philippines is an example of one that has suffered greatly under imperialism and currently faces corruption.

I don't really know the history of many countries mentioned here, but I can confirm Poland's history is really messed up and sad. :gaycat6:

17 minutes ago, Pendulum said:

Armenia (!!!!!!)

Doctor Congo

Haiti

Baltic states

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Also, Circassians even though they don't have a country for themselves today

I agree about Armenia. And the fact that there's so few people speaking up about the situation in Armenia right now is really sad.

I think almost all the countries that have been colonized.
but Armenia, Palestine, Haiti are among the saddest I can think of.

Obviously not the saddest, but Argentina has a long and troubled history that's still controversial and deeply discussed. It went from gold to dust through the decades.

main-qimg-d020f9926e42188bd35007ad62fa289f-lqmain-qimg-d439c79de4c23bc3d40a160b64d361d3-lqmain-qimg-9e123469e4b2527ce550e7e6878c89d2-lq

A short century ago the US and Argentina were rivals. Both were riding the first wave of globalisation at the turn of the 20th century. Both were young, dynamic nations with fertile farmlands and confident exporters. Both brought the beef of the New World to the tables of their European colonial forebears. Before the Great Depression of the 1930s, Argentina was among the 10 richest economies in the world. The millions of emigrant ­Italians and Irish fleeing poverty at the end of the 19th century were torn between the two: Buenos Aires or New York? The pampas or the prairie? A hundred years later there was no choice at all. One had gone on to be among the most successful economies ever. The other was a broken husk.

During the first three decades of the 20th century, Argentina outgrew Canada and Australia in population, total income, and per capita income.[3] By 1913, Argentina was the world's 10th wealthiest state per capita. [...] Up until 1962 the Argentine per capita GDP was higher than that of Austria, Italy, Japan and of its former colonial master, Spain.

The fact that it has all the potential in the world and now over 40% of its population is poor.

Buenos Aires Times | Poverty reached 27.3% in the first half of 2018,  reports INDECA runaway crisis': Argentina activists aid shanty towns state has left  behind | Argentina | The Guardianhttp://voxdev.org/sites/default/files/cover_images/Galiani.docx_.jpgConfirman 13 casos de coronavirus en la Villa 31 de Buenos Aires y los  vecinos denuncian que están sin agua potable - RT

Haiti, it's just tragedy after tragedy, the rest of countries in America at least had one moment to shine.

besides many obvoius ones, one I haven't seen mentioned yet: Armenia

2 hours ago, halcyonday said:

I don't really know the history of many countries mentioned here, but I can confirm Poland's history is really messed up and sad. :gaycat6:

So many people are mentioning Poland. I know nothing about what happened there. Will have to look into it.

https://ic.pics.livejournal.com/cherubrawk/9666602/110843/110843_original.gif

6 minutes ago, AbeHicks said:

So many people are mentioning Poland. I know nothing about what happened there. Will have to look into it.

it's what we get for between Germany and Russia tbh :gaycat6:

1 hour ago, AbeHicks said:

If you want to get depressed (Partitions), then get a glimmer of hope (Interwar period) only for it to be brutally trumped down (WWII) and continued with years of political repression and grey dullness (Communism) then by all means go ahead.

Add to that the fact that even before the Partitions of Poland (and continuing until 1864 in Russian Poland), the majority of popluation was serfs, whose status was only slightly better than that of slaves.

Edited by Jan

4 hours ago, BrokenMachine said:

Haiti, it's just tragedy after tragedy, the rest of countries in America at least had one moment to shine.

Especially knowing that Haiti was forced into that situation to set an example to slaves across the US and Latin America to not revolt. France even forced them under the peace treaty to pay them a loan that Haiti took over a 100 years to repay. 

It’s just so messed up. 

the Philippines. we've gone through and still going through so much shit, even i'm surprised that people here are so upbeat and happy-go-lucky :rip:

On 12/5/2021 at 1:57 PM, Jan said:

Definitely my home country of Poland but also others, such as:

Haiti (this one is truly dreadful)

Armenia

Georgia

Ukraine

The Congo

Ireland

Korea

Cambodia

Mexico (lost half of its land, under constant dictatorships, plagued with drug gang problems)

Liberia (a success story of Africa turned nightmare-ish)

Mexico? :lmao:

You MUST be american :dies: 

6 hours ago, EOMM92 said:

Mexico? :lmao:

You MUST be american :dies: 

Literally said “my home country of Poland” in the post you quoted.. weird behavior