Daily Discussion - Nov 29 - Dec 11 | Talk About Anything

Ryan BTE

• ATRL Administrator

Daily Discussion Thread: November 29

You can talk about anything whether it’s related to pop culture, entertainment or not. Sometimes we may have a theme of the day to spark discussion, but it’s not the only thing we’re discussing and you do not have to answer it.

I have relaxed discussion rules re: 18+ Content provided you use spoiler tags if posting suggestive/explicit content, do not attack others, don’t be a dick. If you can’t adhere to this you’ll be banned from the thread. 

ATRL Question of the Day #1: Who is one artist you’ll never see it for despite what anyone else says?

ATRL Question of the Day #2: Do you believe femininity and sexuality are linked? For instance, it’s a running joke that Shawn Mendes is a 🇬🇧 🚬 in part because of his feminine ways. Is it unfair to do that to guys like Mendes?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sempiternal

• Bloodflowers.

• Bacardo Royale

• Totami Legend

26 minutes ago, Ryan BTE said:

Do you believe femininity and sexuality are linked? For instance, it’s a running joke that Shawn Mendes is a 🇬🇧 🚬 in part because of his feminine ways. Is it unfair to do that to guys like Mendes?

Yes, I don't understand why people are so focused on his sexuality, who cares? It's not that big of a deal they should just believe what he says also because it's none of their business to go beyond that.

The way these threads flop excluding the very first one where everyone said it’s a good idea :gaycat6::gaycat6:

Edited by liam13

• ATRL Administrator
35 minutes ago, liam13 said:

The way these threads flop excluding the very first one where everyone said it’s a good idea :gaycat6::gaycat6:

Yeah we’re determined to make them work. Especially since we’ll be phasing out RT. 

It’s like you give people what they ask for and suddenly they don’t want it anymore lol. 

1 hour ago, Ryan BTE said:

Do you believe femininity and sexuality are linked?

Not really, as is evident in the fact that social changes through the decades and centuries have altered perceptions of what is considered “masculine.”

Pink was considered a masculine color (because it was vibrant) and blue was considered a feminine color (because it was calm and associated with the Virgin Mary), until American department stores switched the colors to sell more product and Hitler labelled queer people with pink triangles. Now pink is “feminine” and “gay.”

Several centuries ago, it was fashionable for upper class men to wear jewelry, furs, fashionable clothes made with expensive dyes, and high heels as signs of their status. All of these things were “masculine” then and are generally considered “feminine” now. There was also a time when men wore corsets, which are now seen almost as an exclusively “feminine” fashion trend. 

Cheerleading used to be a men’s sport, and multiple American presidents played it. Not until the men all went off to fight in the World Wars did women begin cheerleading (filling the employment gap in the field), and it gradually became a more “feminine” sport. 

Social perceptions of what is “masculine” or “feminine” change with time, meaning there can be no inherent link with sexual orientation. (Of course, social concepts of sexual identity are fairly “new” as well, but that’s a different post entirely).

ATRL Question of the Day #1: Who is one artist you’ll never see it for despite what anyone else says?

Nicki Minaj and this has pretty much been the case since her debut. I didn't see it for her not because I thought she was talentless, but because I suspected some really nasty attitude in her + her persona felt way too cartoonish for me, like a bad clownish caricature of a pop star. I started warming up to her around Pinkprint, but her viciousness towards Cardi, a rookie debutante, was what made me see the real ugliness in miss Minaj. 

ATRL Question of the Day #2: Do you believe femininity and sexuality are linked? For instance, it’s a running joke that Shawn Mendes is a 🇬🇧 🚬 in part because of his feminine ways. Is it unfair to do that to guys like Mendes?

I don't believe one being feminine automatically means they are gay. I can theorize or fantasize about someone's sexuality in my head, but I wouldn't be running around the web making comments about them. 

regarding Shawn Mendez, I don't think he is or should be affected by those comments at all. thankfully it's 2021 and he lives in US, one of the more progressive countries, where being gay is mostly not perceived as something negative. I wouldn't give a rats аss about it in his place. 

I can say misogyny & homophobia are related :michael:

so my answer to the 2nd question is yeah, likely 

1 hour ago, liam13 said:

Somebody just needs to bite the bullet and start posting nudes since apparently we’re allowed to have NSFW content in these threads (is that correct @Ryan BTE?) but everyone is too scared to be the first person to do it. :rip: The thread will get popping after that.

1 hour ago, liam13 said:

42 minutes ago, Ryan BTE said:

Yeah we’re determined to make them work. Especially since we’ll be phasing out RT. 

IMO the first one was better in the sense that it consolidated a 3-day period. That way there is more time to get a  discussion going and your posts don't vanish in 24 hours. So there could be a like a bi-weekly discussion thread where there are new subjects introduced every 3/4 days and in the long run it's easier for you too since you don't have to come up with a new subject every day. After a while it would take a lot of creativity.

Just something to consider :celestial5:

40 minutes ago, Ryan BTE said:

It’s like you give people what they ask for and suddenly they don’t want it anymore lol. 

what is RT if you don't mind?

10 minutes ago, Daydream said:

Somebody just needs to bite the bullet and start posting nudes since apparently we’re allowed to have NSFW content in these threads (is that correct @Ryan BTE?) but everyone is too scared to be the first person to do it. :rip: The thread will get popping after that.

I don't think it'll work. Like you have lpsg/twitter for celeb or all sorts of nsfw stuff. Also, posting original nudes here means they can promote themselves or their onlyfans (is that against the rules?). I'd like to see sumn though :gaycat4:

4 minutes ago, AbeHicks said:

IMO the first one was better in the sense that it consolidated a 3-day period. That way there is more time to get a  discussion going and your posts don't vanish in 24 hours. So there could be a like a bi-weekly discussion thread where there are new subjects introduced every 3/4 days and in the long run it's easier for you too since you don't have to come up with a new subject every day. After a while it would take a lot of creativity.

This, subreddits usually have bi-weekly discussion threads. Or just delete random thoughts thread so people will be forced to move here but that thread is still lowkey.

• ATRL Administrator
24 minutes ago, Daydream said:

This is correct. As long as it’s behind a spoiler tag. 

• ATRL Administrator
14 minutes ago, AbeHicks said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to that. This feedback is good and helps shape the future of content. I’ll definitely change this to a multi-day thread. 

Question #1 Lil Nas X. I don’t understand it at all. I even feel silly saying his stage name. Too many Lil’s out there. 

Question #2 Yes…that’s all. 

I feel like femininity may be somewhat linked to who we hang out with. Depending on who you are friends with it can bring out different parts about your personality and I do believe straight guys can have feminine traits as well but they usually suppress them. Gays who primarily grew up with straight guy friends tend to be more masculine, some do it to blend in and hide while others just naturally have more masculine hobbies and mannerisms.

So if Shawn for example grew up watching soap operas and hanging out with girls like I did, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what brought out his feminine mannerisms and it wouldn't be the first time having common interests with straight girls lead to

Spoiler

But it also doesn't mean that he's obviously gay. I think a millionaire cis man like himself can handle a couple ATRLers gossiping behind his back about his sexuality.

hYaVm0t.gif&f=1&nofb=1

There's probably no one-fits-all answer but I feel like I personally became more flamboyant once I found the right people to express that side of myself with :thing:

Edited by Illuminati

I cannot get into Doja Cat and I've tried many times (especially when she was spammed down the timeline with Rules, Cyber Sex (fly high Nenobia :heart2:), etc. She's very talented but the music just isn't for me.

1) h.e.r.

2) definitely not linked but i think lgbtq men (myself included) kind of adopt more "feminine" mannerisms/traits/etc. because they subconsciously know/feel different. idk how to explain it

I hate how I get so sleepy from late-afternoon until like mid-evening, it completely tanks my productivity for the day and I end up failing to do everything I needed to do during the day :doc: starting to think I have a natural instinct for hibernation at this point 

2 hours ago, Ryan BTE said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to that. This feedback is good and helps shape the future of content. I’ll definitely change this to a multi-day thread. 

yeah i liked the idea of the multi-day thread (i think the first one was a multi-day thread?) :nicole2:

I do believe that there is a correlation between sexuality and femininity, but correlation does not always mean causation

Well science has shown that gay men's brain works differently compared to the hetero man's brain. More like women's brains. So there's that.

Tumblr: Image

Femininity and sexuality aren’t related. I know guys irl that are a little more feminine but are straight. Honestly, I think the gay jokes about Shawn are going into bullying territory atp