HDD: Adele 833k (biggest debut of the year), Taylor 165k

Starkboy

Just now, TaylorFantasy said:

As someone who adores Adele and enjoys this album a lot (grew on me. Found it boring on the first listen).

Let me just say it’s a win for the swifties because all the OTHs were screaming about how aDeLe w0uLd EaSiLy sMaSh tAyLoR’s nUmBer!!1 fAk3 mUsiC iNdUStRy!!1 and then it turns out Taylor and Adele and basically on the same level. Both are commercial powerhouses.

Why is this so hard for Adele fans to understand this? 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brando

• Headlock

• georgechxng

• wastedpotential

1 minute ago, TaylorFantasy said:

As someone who adores Adele and enjoys this album a lot (grew on me. Found it boring on the first listen).

Let me just say it’s a win for the swifties because all the OTHs were screaming about how aDeLe w0uLd EaSiLy sMaSh tAyLoR’s nUmBer!!1 fAk3 mUsiC iNdUStRy!!1 and then it turns out Taylor and Adele and basically on the same level. Both are commercial powerhouses.

They're not on the same level. Y'all need to stop. People buying Adele albums aren't going out and buying 2-3 copies each. Taylor's album sales are incredibly inflated in the same way Kpop albums are. She actively encourages fans to buy multiple albums. Adele does not. 

Again, Adele just released her first album in 6 years, and has almost 10M more monthly listeners on Spotify. Taylor has released 6 albums since Adele's last. One of them being last week that apparently "smashed" so why are her Spotify listeners so low? :dies:

Even Dua Lipa has almost 70M monthly listeners. Taylor is turning into a fandom driven artist who occasionally gets a hit. When you account for the amount of people actually listening to her music, it's nowhere near the top. But she does know how to engage her fanbase and make money off them so good for her.

Just now, MardinBeksloy said:

Why is this so hard for Adele fans to understand this? 

Right? Like when Swifties celebrated RED TV's success they threw **** like "good for a #2!!" and "the real music industry!!1 is coming to STOMP STOMP STOMP on her!1" around only for the stomp to be a light step on an album with 9yo materials :rip:

---

Is it me or RED TV is having a great hold? :jonny:

• ATRL Moderator
45 minutes ago, Elusive Chanteuse said:

Yes. They bought outsold Kanye and Drake deservedly so that is something to celebrate.

:jonny5:Queens

20 minutes ago, gozahu said:

We stan the most successful woman in music industry since Britney Spears, I think we are FINE. 

The fun fact that helps to contextualize this part of your post is that, based on their receipts threads on ATRL, a quick glance at Chart Masters (with the caveat that they ignore Asia), or any independent research you might do on your own, Taylor has actually moved as many as or more equivalent album units now than Britney Spears! Adele has not.

10 minutes ago, tiagol88 said:

I don't understand the hate she's getting. Imagine having a #1 hit for like a month WW, a debut that's going to be close to 1.5M ww if not more and people are making fun of what's by far the biggest album release since..her previous one.

I would agree that Adele deserves absolutely no hate whatsoever; she’s a great artist who has clearly put out a quality body of work that connected with a lot of people. It’s truly an achievement for any artist. Also, having watched her interviews and performances lately, she’s one of the most genuinely sweet and fun personalities I’ve ever seen in a music artist.

But, to the point made by the rest of your post, it appears that the numbers that HDD has predicted and the worldwide release numbers that would result from it would make this the biggest album release not since 25, but since Folklore. Biggest since Lover if it does better than the predictions, or biggest since Reputation if it really outdoes current expectations (by at least 35k+). Certainly not a total that can be made much fun of, though.

"According to initial reports to MRC Data, Adele's "30" has earned more than 660,000 equivalent album units in the U.S. from its Nov. 19 release through Nov. 22, with over 560,000 of that sum in traditional album sales"

Still Nov 23, Nov 24 and Nov 25 to go :WAP:

If only Thursday wasn't thanksgiving, she would easily cross 900k

I think something that has come against Adele this era is that people aren't used to her singing about her life on a personal level and have been left a bit alienated by her new album filled with songs that are so specific to her own situation. The magic key to Adele's success was that she wrote simple - but great - songs about love and heartbreak on a very superficial, surface level. There were no specifics in her lyrics, no voice notes or explicit references to her own life. Everyone could listen to an Adele song and digest it easily and apply it to their own lives - only because it was so unspecific and broad. That's what gave her the cross-generation appeal she has.

Damn, I was really hoping for at least 1 milli. 
Hopefully HDD is underestimating 

Just now, Gaia said:

They're not on the same level. Y'all need to stop. People buying Adele albums aren't going out and buying 2-3 copies each. Taylor's album sales are incredibly inflated in the same way Kpop albums are. She actively encourages fans to buy multiple albums. Adele does not. 

Again, Adele just released her first album in 6 years, and has almost 10M more monthly listeners on Spotify. Taylor has released 6 albums since Adele's last. One of them being last week that apparently "smashed" so why are her Spotify listeners so low? :dies:

Even Dua Lipa has almost 70M monthly listeners. Taylor is turning into a fandom driven artist who occasionally gets a hit. When you account for the amount of people actually listening to her music, it's nowhere near the top. But she does know how to engage her fanbase and make money off them so good for her.

See when we say both are on similar level and you have people saying flamebait bs like this as if the numbers don't suggest the same thing: similar level of commercial power. Does it matter of the purchase comes from GP or her fans? GP won't always buy your albums. And now we're back to the monthly listeners argument like it means anything. Congrats to Adele for having that many listeners I guess. A stream is a stream and Taylor has been one of the most streamed artists every year ever since her return to Spotify. Her streams coming from people actively seeking her albums out doesn't make the streams less impressive than playlists-supported streams.

Y'all wanna downplay Taylor's power so badly but when Swifties say something Swifties are the ones being problematic like shut up.

1 minute ago, TaylorFantasy said:

See when we say both are on similar level and you have people saying flamebait bs like this as if the numbers don't suggest the same thing: similar level of commercial power. Does it matter of the purchase comes from GP or her fans? GP won't always buy your albums. And now we're back to the monthly listeners argument like it means anything. Congrats to Adele for having that many listeners I guess. A stream is a stream and Taylor has been one of the most streamed artists every year ever since her return to Spotify. Her streams coming from people actively seeking her albums out doesn't make the streams less impressive than playlists-supported streams.

Y'all wanna downplay Taylor's power so badly but when Swifties say something Swifties are the ones being problematic like shut up.

Ok. Then you'd agree that BTS is on a similar level as Taylor Swift? :ahh: 

And Taylor is literally on those playlists. The excuses to justify her having less people ACTUALLY listening to her music :deadbanana2:

Edited by Gaia

"According to initial reports to MRC Data, Adele's "30" has earned more than 660,000 equivalent album units in the U.S. from its Nov. 19 release through Nov. 22, with over 560,000 of that sum in traditional album sales"

New data from Billboard. 3 days left of counting. Basically only 2 since Thursday is thanksgiving but still :WAP:

1 minute ago, Gaia said:

Ok. Then you'd agree that BTS is on a similar level as Taylor Swift? :ahh: 

Not sure why you're laughing at BTS when they're consistently stomping on EVERYONE else? :huh:

But no, they're must more fandom-reliant than Taylor.

Edit: and if they could show consistent success for a few more years they're even bigger than Taylor lmao

Edited by TaylorFantasy

4 minutes ago, georgechxng said:

Still Nov 23, Nov 24 and Nov 25 to go :WAP:

If only Thursday wasn't thanksgiving, she would easily cross 900k

So that makes it now officially the biggest debut of the year, surpassing Drake’s 613k.

From a numbers perspective, this means she moved 60k pure sales units on day 4. If she averages 40k pure sales the other three days, that brings us right to HDD’s 675k. In terms of streaming, she moved maybe ~20k more on day 4 since a couple thousand will have come from TEA - assuming just below 20k average in the next three days, that also puts her right under 160k, roughly the same as HDD, with any difference or light variation made up by TEA.

I’m actually impressed by how closely she’s tracking to the HDD prediction at this point. She’s following a very stable path that’s easy to see as time goes on, not a lot of volatility and no sudden drops.

3 minutes ago, Gaia said:

And Taylor is literally on those playlists. The excuses to justify her having less people ACTUALLY listening to her music :deadbanana2:

Her playlist reaches are still much smaller than those with 70/80m monthly listeners. It is a logical explanation but you just want to downplay Taylor. What a weirdo.

1 hour ago, Pop culture said:

30 minutes x

Fadele.webp

How come 800,000 is behind than 18,000 and 352,000?

Graphic design is my passion teas. 

I can the 30 mins thing... X

9 minutes ago, TaylorFantasy said:

Her playlist reaches are still much smaller than those with 70/80m monthly listeners. It is a logical explanation but you just want to downplay Taylor. What a weirdo.

The weirdos are Taylor fans that acknowledge that her sales are more fandom driven than GP driven, but still acting like she's on par with Adele who is entirely GP driven. 

The reason Adele's sales are so impressive even "cLosE to TaYloR!!@#" is because those are sales from people genuinely interested in her music solely due to music. They're not in the stanworld. They don't care about inflating stats. No one is out there buying 5 copies of Adele albums to increase her numbers :toofunny2:

Taylor is clearly one of the most dominant forces is music. That is undeniable. But in terms of GP power and impact, she is not close to Adele. 

But we will have to agree to disagree. I do not consider fanbase inflated album sales or stats in general to be any sort of indication of "industry power." BTS is no way had a popular album with the GP last year and Butter was in no way the most popular song of the Summer despite those inflated digital download sales from their website that kept it #1 on the Hot 100 over Good 4 U. 

When fans are obviously inflating sales, it diminishes the impact. Taylor fans are starting to sound a lot like BTS stans and treating her fandom driven stats are public interest. She has not had a genuine hit with the public in years. 

Edited by Gaia

On 11/22/2021 at 3:59 PM, Machete said:

Then: "EOM debut proved there's immense anticipation for Adele on streaming. +100M is in the bag."

Later on: "Adele isn't a streaming artist. Her base buys in pure. +1.5M is still locked"

Now: "SWIFTIES!!!!!"

giphy.gif

The accuracy 

giphy.gif

37 minutes ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

The fact that it is completely non commercial too. Her power is scary. 

An Adele project can’t be “non-commercial” unless she is making a noise album. It’s an oxymoron.

Just now, Gaia said:

The weirdos are Taylor fans that acknowledge that her sales are more fandom driven than GP driven, but still acting like she's on par with Adele who is entirely GP driven. 

The reason Adele's sales are so impressive even "cLosE to TaYloR!!@#" is because those are sales from people genuinely interested in her music solely due to music. They're not in the stanworld. They don't care about inflating stats. No one is out there buying 5 copies of Adele albums to increase her numbers :toofunny2:

Taylor is clearly one of the most dominant forces is music. That is undeniable. But in terms of GP power and impact, she is not close to Adele. 

But we will have to agree to disagree. I do not consider fanbase inflated album sales or stats in general to be any sort of indication of "industry power." BTS is no way had a popular album with the GP last year and Butter was in no way the most popular song of the Summer despite those inflated digital download sales from their website. 

When fans are obviously inflating sales, it diminishes the impact. Taylor fans are starting to sound a lot like BTS stans and treating her fandom driven stats are public interest. She has not had a genuine hit with the public in years. 

The anger :juanny:

Most of us just got one copy and go. You can mass buy a single but you can't mass buy CDs or $50 vinyls.

And weren't we talking about commercial power? Now you're bringing up "gP p0WeR" (wtf is that) as if Taylor isn't also a GP darling like her songs aren't going viral every other month. Also Taylor still has much more monthly listeners than most artists (including BTS) so I'm not sure what you're implying there.

46 minutes ago, Walk_Away21 said:

Not this iconic gif returning :bibliahh: @Reverse Warholian

Her #s are still gargantuan I guess but holy **** the massive -80% decline can't be ignored. At this rate, I can see it finishing around 25's debut week sales :rip:

6nOBCDd.jpg

Edited by Reverse Warholian

What I don’t understand is why are the Adele fans so offended by the thought of Taylor being as popular as her? Taylor is an incredibly successful and critically acclaimed artist who started before so many successful artists and has outlasted them with a remarkable career. 

And just so we’re clear, August 2020 was the same market as today, if not worse because that was the height of the pandemic and we’re now in Black Friday week. The reality is, 30, with the most played song in the country (now even being spammed on country radio), with a huge TV/Oprah special and big playlisting on streaming will open with the identical numbers of folklore. This is NOT a drag, just the truth. So what is there to argue about? 

39 minutes ago, MardinBeksloy said:

Fooling what exactly? Even Taylor explained it clearly the album would have 6 re-recordings that were REJECTED from the OG album and 3 re-recordings of known songs. Still doesn't change the fact that it is basically a re-releasing of a 9 year old album, just like a 'Deluxe' version with new songs, so it shouldn't be pushing 600K first week but it did. 

No it isnt just like a deluxe version. It is a completely re recorded and released never before released version of the album. So it is not a re release, hence it is charting and counting a a completely seperate entity, which was the whole point of her re recording it in the first place.  And she promoted it like a brand new album. These re recording have had two years of constant hype. 

I just know ya'll tired...ch

rZQIDPu.gif

Adele remains a legend

Taylor remains a legend

Our faves wish...well some of their faves never reached that moment my fave did but that's besides the point.

Let's end this on a good note tonight:clap3:

37 minutes ago, Gaia said:

So you're saying Dua Lipa is bigger than Adele, because we all know Spotify listeners is the biggest marker for how big an artist is :jonny:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.