Led Zeppelin "Led Zeppelin IV" certified 24x platinum in US

Renan90

How the **** was it only platinum 19 years after its release? And now 24x plat?

its sales in the soundscan era (1991-) arem’t that impressive…

It’s an amzing album tho, Led Zep literally churned out game changing classics in just a few years!

The way it jumped from gold to diamond because they didn't update the certs until 1990 :deadbanana2:

37 minutes ago, blackbeatxx said:

It’s an amzing album tho, Led Zep literally churned out game changing classics in just a few years!

19 years after its release it was 10x Platinum (the same day it was certified Platinum) and it sold 14x Platinum during the Soundscan, how on earth is that not impressive? :rip: 

Y’all just say anything. 

OT: Very impressive :clap3: 

Huge numbers, although I've always thought the sales for some of these old acts are kind of fishy considering there wasn't really a good way to measure the sales nor calculating them properly.

1 minute ago, CaptainMusic said:

19 years after its release it was 10x Platinum (the same day it was certified Platinum) and it sold 14x Platinum during the Soundscan, how on earth is that not impressive? :rip: 

Y’all just say anything. 

OT: Very impressive :clap3: 

Didn’t you read my post? 1990 it went from plat to 10x plat. Well it was very likely undercertified then but what i dont get are those further 14x certs when its sales since 1991 are way lower. Dont remember now exactly, but like 5 million since 1991

9 minutes ago, Kavish said:

Love this album.  "When the Levee Breaks" is my favourite track. :celestial6:

I agree. And black dog and battle of evermore

8 minutes ago, blackbeatxx said:

Didn’t you read my post? 1990 it went from plat to 10x plat. Well it was very likely undercertified then but what i dont get are those further 14x certs when its sales since 1991 are way lower. Dont remember now exactly, but like 5 million since 1991

The day it was certified platinum was the same day it was certified 10x plat, look at the dates. It went from gold to platinum/10x plat because as you said it was very undercertified. 

But hmm I’m now confused about the sales because I thought it sold a lot more at Soundscan, it sold 3,825,000 as of April 2013 so probably around 4M now.

It sold less than 298k at BMG or wasn’t available as it’s not on this list.

https://top40-charts.com/mnews.php?nid=4631&cat=

That leaves Columbia house which didn’t release numbers, so it must’ve sold 10M there during the 90s, a mess. :deadbanana4:

1 minute ago, CaptainMusic said:

The day it was certified platinum was the same day it was certified 10x plat, look at the dates. It went from gold to platinum/10x plat because as you said it was very undercertified. 

But hmm I’m now confused about the sales because I thought it sold a lot more at Soundscan, it sold 3,825,000 as of April 2013 so probably around 4M now.

It sold less than 298k at BMG or wasn’t available as it’s not on this list.

https://top40-charts.com/mnews.php?nid=4631&cat=

That leaves Columbia house which didn’t release numbers, so it must’ve sold 10M there during the 90s, a mess. :deadbanana4:

Yeah, that’s what bugging me.

the certs in 1990 is obvious now thanks for pointing it out. And obviously i’m a fan, but yeah, the numbers from 90’s later on are….mysterious

14 hours ago, blackbeatxx said:

Yeah, that’s what bugging me.

the certs in 1990 is obvious now thanks for pointing it out. And obviously i’m a fan, but yeah, the numbers from 90’s later on are….mysterious

Most album certifications got huge increases in the 90s because the RIAA started to include certifications from music clubs and other things that weren't included from previous years. Charmasters explained that in their site.

So basically all the music club sales that the album had since 1971 were included after 1994 when the RIAA started to count them

https://chartmasters.org/2018/09/a-step-into-club-sales-of-all-time-top-us-sellers/

https://chartmasters.org/2016/08/cspc-led-zeppelin-popularity-analysis/5/

17 hours ago, blackbeatxx said:

You pay for each certification. So sometimes labels won’t even pay to fully certify a project. It’s a mess and RIAA needs to fix it to become more accurate.

2 hours ago, Green said:

Most album certifications got huge increases in the 90s because the RIAA started to include certifications from music clubs and other things that weren't included from previous years. Charmasters explained that in their site.

So basically all the music club sales that the album had since 1971 were included after 1994 when the RIAA started to count them

https://chartmasters.org/2018/09/a-step-into-club-sales-of-all-time-top-us-sellers/

https://chartmasters.org/2016/08/cspc-led-zeppelin-popularity-analysis/5/

I wish Columbia House would have pulled a Sony BMG and just released their numbers.

thats a classic :clap3:

most diamond albums from a non beatles rock band i fear :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.