R&B/Soul Discussion

Wicked

sZ5KO5t.png

Evolving out of jump blues in the late '40s, R&B laid the groundwork for rock & roll. R&B kept the tempo and the drive of jump blues, but its instrumentation was sparer and the emphasis was on the song, not improvisation. It was blues chord changes played with an insistent backbeat. During the '50s, R&B was dominated by vocalists like Ray Charles and Ruth Brown, as well as vocal groups like the Drifters and the Coasters. Eventually, R&B metamorphosed into soul, which was funkier and looser than the pile-driving rhythms of R&B. Soul came to describe a number of R&B-based music styles. From the bouncy, catchy acts at Motown to the horn-driven, gritty soul of Stax/Volt, there was an immense amount of diversity within soul. During the first part of the '60s, soul music remained close to its R&B roots. However, musicians pushed the music in different directions; usually, different regions of America produced different kinds of soul. In urban centers like New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago, the music concentrated on vocal interplay and smooth productions. In Detroit, Motown concentrated on creating a pop-oriented sound that was informed equally by gospel, R&B, and rock & roll. In the South, the music became harder and tougher, relying on syncopated rhythms, raw vocals, and blaring horns. All of these styles formed soul, which ruled the black music charts throughout the '60s and also frequently crossed over into the pop charts. During the '60s and '70s, soul began to splinter apart -- artists like James Brown and Sly Stone developed funk; Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff initiated Philly soul with the O'Jays and Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes; and later in the decade, danceable R&B became a mass phenomenon with the brief disco fad. During the '80s and '90s, the polished, less earthy sound of urban and quiet storm ruled the airwaves, but even then, R&B began adding stylistic components of hip-hop until -- by the end of the millennium -- there were hundreds of artists who featured both rapping and singing on their records.

R&B/Soul Library

https://linktr.ee/flavorwaves

Edited by Wicked

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JCsNumba1Fan

• Wicked

• Love Drought

• Devin

@Wicked :heart2: 

If you haven't, check out the Gabriel-Garzon Montano album. Have had it on repeat :katie2: 

Edited by Pink Matter

My parents did and they loved it. I gotta catch up on it myself still.

And apprently Bell Biv DeVoe returned too.

7 minutes ago, Pink Matter said:

@Wicked :heart2: 

If you haven't, check out the Gabriel-Garzon Montano album. Have had it on repeat :katie2: 

Hey! I haven't listened to this yet but I have it saved, I'll get to it soon. 

5 minutes ago, Tom Vercetti said:

My parents did and they loved it. I gotta catch up on it myself still.

And apprently Bell Biv DeVoe returned too.

I watched it cuz of my Dad too :toofunny2: but I love some New Edition anyways, it was entertaining. 

They dropped a single last year that was type embarrassing but I'll check out this new one lmao. 

-

Kehlani's album is not it :doc: why is it being hyped? 

13 minutes ago, Wicked said:

I watched it cuz of my Dad too :toofunny2: but I love some New Edition anyways, it was entertaining. 

They dropped a single last year that was type embarrassing but I'll check out this new one lmao. 

-

There's some nice tracks on SSS but it's definitely not "AOTY" worthy or anything, but you know how atrl is with female artists. Lloyd dropped an EP too I believe but I haven't heard it yet. 

Edited by Tom Vercetti

12 minutes ago, Wicked said:

-

SSS  is ok in parts. I only go back to the more urban leaning tracks (Distraction, Do U Dirty, etc.). It does have tracks that lean more towards pop so I can see it's appeal here :michael: 

1 hour ago, Tom Vercetti said:

There's some nice tracks on SSS but it's definitely not "AOTY" worthy or anything, but you know how atrl is with female artists. Lloyd dropped an EP too I believe but I haven't heard it yet. 

Yeah I see what you're saying. Lloyd's EP was a nice listen, need an album though. 

1 hour ago, Pink Matter said:

SSS  is ok in parts. I only go back to the more urban leaning tracks (Distraction, Do U Dirty, etc.). It does have tracks that lean more towards pop so I can see it's appeal here :michael: 

Apart from like 2 tracks it was just monotone to me. A Jhene Aiko tea. 

Yaaaay this is back!!

Any love for Baby Queens? Their debut is pretty great!

2 hours ago, Tom Vercetti said:

Lloyd dropped an EP too I believe but I haven't heard it yet. 

It was cute :katie2: I loved Excited!

Gonna check those out. 

This year should be interesting. Miguel, Luke James, Keri Hilson, Janelle Monae(?) 

Jazzy too I think, can't remember. 

Edited by Wicked

7 hours ago, Wicked said:

Gonna check those out. 

This year should be interesting. Miguel, Luke James, Keri Hilson, Janelle Monae(?) 

Jazzy too I think, can't remember. 

J Money can choke for waiting so long :cm: (not really :heart2:)

There's gonna be new Syd, SZA, and Sampha this Friday. Can't wait :duca: 

That being said, I feel like R&B might be a little dry compared to last years :katie: 

Let me bookmark this thread :gaycat2:

I never listened to New Edition, but loved the biopic. It really got me back into 90s male R&B

I'm so disappointed in Sevyn's new single, such a downgrade after Before I Do

Jazmine Sullivan's Private Show has been on repeat for weeks, can't believe I overlooked that album when it came out

Does Luke James have a release date/month yet?

Jeremih - I Think of You (feat. Chris Brown & Big Sean)

:jonny2: I wasn't ready. I expected TRASH but its really good. Fine China teas

I've been so thirsty for new Janelle :jonny: With the number of things that have happened since The Electric Lady I seriously expect her to come with some generation-defining statement of an album. Maybe she's been holding off and taking her time because she also feels that pressure? 

No date set for Luke @Pulse ,  but he's been working on it forever. :rip:

I'm finally sorting all my R&B playlists, jeezus. I'll get to those projects soon.

i see New Edition & Bell Biv Devoe :gaycat3:

imma use this thread for new and upcoming releases :date: 

but i love 90's/80's/00's R&b so much

Sampha's joint was impressive. Love every single track which rarely happens to me.

SYD's new album was great too, can listen to it many more times :jonny4:

Are any of you guys familiar with Noora Noor? She's a Somali-Norwegian soul singer and her voice is phenomenal  :smitten2:

• 2 weeks later...

Any new releases? Planning on checking out the SiR EP some time soon. Syd and Sampha are still going strong though :alexz: 

Discovered this gem the other day, gonna check out her discog :jamming:

Saw the other day that Baduizm turned 20, I need to properly check out her discog since I loved BUCUMP.

• 4 weeks later...

This thread is so dead :deadbanana3:

But in other news Tinashe and Janelle are coming in hot this year