Diversity 4: The Re-Up | Winner revealed (pg.132)

thecptz

You've been there, they've done that
So why come back and run around the same track?

We all are afraid of the slump
I can't see you on the run
Tell the kids I say goodbye!

You're forewarned, but half-baked
Upon your kingdom built up on an earthquake

We all are afraid of the slump
I can't see you, so good luck!
I can't see you on the run
I can't see, can't see you

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thecptz

• Tom Vercetti

• Dessy

• Kavish

Top Posters In This Topic

It's gonna be over for me, I fear. 

Gonna see y'all in the Comeback Round. :swan:

Spoiler

I really should have gone with an "anguish" theme and sent Slump. Maybe it would doing a little better. :chick3:

Edited by Jay-Zicario

Lord this round is gonna take me some time

8 minutes ago, luckystrike said:

bestie you should've sent She's Not Me Pt. 1 & 2 for more frustration  :jonny2:

It was my other option :jonny2: If the live version was on streaming I'd send it tbh

Aaliyah - U Got Nerve

never heard

Billie Eilish - bury a friend

billie shite

Charli XCX - Good Ones

lol?

Chloe x Halle - Hazy

never heard

Demi Lovato - Here We Go Again

la la land better

Ellie Goulding - My Blood

used to stan in 2014 so yas god mamma okurr 

f(x) - Red Light

:jonny5: WINNER :jonny5:

Ginger Root - Rikki

never heard

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Mars for the Rich

never heard

Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence

LEGEND, ICON, TALENTED, QUEEN, ETC

LOONA - So What

chaotic production and angry lyrics perfect for this round

Miley Cyrus - WTF Do I Know

never heard

Mylène Farmer - Chloé

never heard

Red Velvet - Monster

**** but honestly i dont think you had any other options so yas mamma slay

serpentwithfeet - wrong tree

never heard

Shakira - Don't Bother

I understand why you sent this. other options would maybe be Ojos Asi or How Do You Do. I think it fits given her discog. A live performance entry would be better i think. Her vocals are more angry if that makes sense

Shania Twain - Ka-Ching!

never heard

SHINee - Orgel

ew chile men. never heard

St. Vincent - Krokodil

never heard but prob a slay

Sufjan Stevens - Vesuvius

never heard

Taylor Swift - I Did Something Bad

yes you did, you sent this ****

Tinashe - Cold Sweat

never heard

Tove Lo - Don't Talk About It

ummm Habits (Stay High) would be better imo

Troye Sivan - DKLA

never heard but you better get points for that hot pup pic :***:

Whitney Houston - My Name Is Not Susan

never heard but susan was a bit annoying in housewives so I'm team whitney

Zara Larsson - Right Here

never heard

hofork comments

????  

Spoiler

u got nerve

its definitely got a mysterious noir vibe to it. that and her vocal style work quite well

bury a friend

almost like the centrepiece of the album and gives you that sense of foreboding anxiety and tension that makes it one of the most surreal experiences she's done.

good ones

like the chillwave approach and think it suits her really well. 

hazy

the sparseness of the production is really interesting - very halloween.

here we go again

the chorus of this is pop rock excellence

my blood

dark fantasy vibe to it, not bad but not a fan

rikki

well its vibey 

mars for the rich

its a little too hard rock for me but fits the theme~

ultraviolence

the grit to her voice to make things more interesting is very welcome

so what

industrial pop bop

wtf do I know

interesting direction for her. this took a while to grow on me but I like the attitude 

chloe

haunted house vibe to it, very cinematic

monster

extremely addictive bop

wrong tree

hauntingly beautiful

don't bother

I see how this fits but I'm not a huge fan of the lyrics

ka-ching!

this is okay

orgel

excellent choice, I love the kind of ominous production that isn't too obviously spooky

krokodil

very crazy and chaotic yup

vesuvius

interesting song and really stands out among the other entries

I did something bad

big bop! one of the weaker songs from reputation for me but it makes sense for this round 

cold sweat

this is cool, the spacey beat has a video game vibe. the song actually justifies its length too

don't talk about it

sounds a little paint by the numbers

dkla

it's very reminiscent of like 2013-2015 aesthetically but its got really cool bits to the production

my name is not susan

your write up >

right here

:doc:

my brief comments mean nothing but here they are!

I was going to do reviews for fun but i basically praised everything but billie x

706befc1b1579315fb766afda8d5c3c6.jpg

Kavish ⛧ Kritiques 

~

@Element – Aaliyah – U Got Nerve

There is an ominous feel to the sound and her vocal delivery is assertive in this one, a contrast to her usual smooth voice, and it compliments the dragging in the lyrics.

@shelven – Billie Eilish – bury a friend

I anticipated "bury a friend" for Billie, so you made the right choice. This song is when Billie won my heart. The concerning lyrics being sung by a teenager and the chilling production create such a haunting atmosphere and perfectly capture the nightmarish concept that they wanted to portray.

@clue - Charli XCX - Good Ones

The lyrics depict Charli's self-destructive choices, but while the production is grave at parts, it's too groovy to be fully dark sonically. Overall an enjoyable bop.

@Not Like The Movies - Chloe x Halle – Hazy

The lyrics have some subtle touches of BDSM to it, but it's overall just a sweet love/lust piece. The sound however is totally on theme with the ominous ambiance and their haunted vocals and ad-libs.

@Rotunda - Demi Lovato - Here We Go Again

Captures the essence of teen angst as dramatically as it can get, with them belting over the lashing of strings. Also appreciate that you tried to take a different approach this time, and it paid off.

@touya kinomoto - Ellie Goulding - My Blood

We love a ritualistic Queen. We hereby promulgate this incantation as our hymn for when the blood of the young and innocent shall be sacrificed and the blood of sinners shall be cursed. Bestow upon us O Satanas the bloodlust of Nosferatu through which we may attain Godhead in the name of the Fallen Father, Scorned Son, and Unholy Spirit, and when the time shall come our blood shall be shed for You just as our souls have been fed to You.

@hofork - f(x) - Red Light

I could not really get the gist of the song lyrically, but that's probably due to poor translation online. It really fits sonically though, like an alarm call that is warning us of something dangerous. .

@Jay-Zicario - Ginger Root – Rikki

A pleasant and sunny instrumental, but it's unfortunately not a fit for this round. It sounds like vlog music or the tune used in travel montages. I appreciate that you came up with a concept to darken the song, but I am not seeing it at all. I cannot picture a killer hunting his victims to this track. It just doesn't emanate negative energy.

@Drifloon - King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Mars for the Rich

Drag Elon Musk. The song depicts some sad realities : the capitalist system, the sense of non-belonging, and the deteriorating state of the natural world and ultimately the human condition. Some entries have presented these concepts, but this one concisely and successfully englobed them all. Sonically, it's obviously fitting to the theme. The metal genre is a hard sell on this forum and a risk in tournaments, but this song is so neat and catchy in its delivery that it deserves its place and is even a threat to look out for in this round.

@kipperskipper - Lana Del Rey – Ultraviolence

The sound is crushing and chaotic in good Lana fashion, and the lyrics are questionable and unsettling, so no wrong could be done there. The anguish can also be felt in her voice as she repeats "ultraviolence".

@CBC - LOONA - So What

The song only hints at a 'bad' energy through the lyrics, and even that is mostly about being fierce, fearless, and bad bitches as opposed to being evil. The sound is also triumphant without much darkness to it. I'm afraid you sent an empowerment anthem, which is the opposite of this round.

@boys - Miley Cyrus - WTF Do I Know

The wordy lyrics read like she was trying to put in as many angry and badass lines as she could, so it comes across as a bit disingenuous. That aside, her raspy voice is a rocking fit with the hard-hitting sound, which puts her anger in full display.

@bestfiction - Mylène Farmer – Chloé

The lyrics are disturbing and heartbreaking, and the serious and somber tone paired with the childish "la la la" give off a sinister vibe that could perfectly fit on a horror movie's soundtrack. Chloé has drowned, but it's safe to say that you won't this round.

@mokitsu - Red Velvet – Monster

Same commentary as "Chloé" above. The forbidding sound along with the "la la la" create a creepy ambiance, and a great fit for a Halloween playlist.

@TruGemini- serpentwithfeet - wrong tree

His vocal delivery and all these sounds coming together are so unsettling, as if he materialised his heartbreaking experience into a musical nightmare to portray how tormented he was. Interestingly haunting song.

@Opulent - Shakira - Don't Bother

I expected "Don't Bother" for Shakira. It is heartbreaking how she compares herself to the preferred type of her ex and how she would change herself for him, thus lingering on self-doubt and lost identity. Her anguish amplifies as the song progresses into the guitar-thrashing outro and the wailing of a woman that has been wronged.

@Auburn - Shania Twain – Ka-Ching!

"Ka-Ching!" was the first Shania song that I ever fell in love with. Greed is one of the seven sins and you successfully associated the subject matter with the notion of "Hell". The song is relevant to our capitalist society and indeed a dystopia when analyzed from a humane point of view.

@diogozsz - SHINee – Orgel

The song paints a creepy circus-themed picture with its lyrics and instrumental, like making puppets dance to your tune. An alluring track.

@Sanguine - St. Vincent – Krokodil

A chaotic and ferocious blend of the clashing instrumental and spitting out her raging desire to 'bite'. The embodiment of "go girl, give us hell!".

@Noah - Sufjan Stevens – Vesuvius

I had a Mount Vesuvius fascination phase for some time, so I'm pleased that you submitted this song and rounded it up with an educational and perfectly-associated write-up. Various voices and unsettling sounds can be heard throughout, reflecting the hysterical mess and destructive nature of an eruption, and at the same time realizing that this turmoil also occurs within the human body and mind.

@Rence - Taylor Swift - I Did Something Bad

Cannot get more evil than acknowledging your bad actions and not only admitting that you loved it, but also that you would do it again. The gunshots even add a menacing spin to it.

@Tom Vercetti - Tinashe - Cold Sweat

The chilling and spacious atmosphere matches the cold reality and aloneness showcased in the lyrics, and even when she alludes to winning, it comes at a cost. Her personal hell, but also one that is sadly shared by many.

@ughgabriel - Tove Lo - Don't Talk About It

Another escapism anthem, but this time it's about getting lost in things that makes us forget about reality and that's always a downward spiral. The tone is anxious and chilling, as if hanging between life and death.

@luckystrike - Troye Sivan – DKLA

Same reaction as "Cold Sweat" and "Don't Talk About It" above. They all share the same coldness in sound, while the singer unravels their purgatory. Tkay's part takes me out of the trance but it's mostly a chill and somberly pleasant track.

@PinkBox - Whitney Houston - My Name Is Not Susan

I don't hear the "Halloween vibes" sonically. It's a typical 80s-sounding song without much trace of darkness, but her vocal delivery mirrors the warning in the lyrics in a way that dances between anger and heartache.

@Moonlightbae - Zara Larsson - Right Here

The subject matter gives an "aww too bad" reaction but the theme is not as serious as the attributes needed for this round. Even the sound is dance-y and would be completely positive if not for the lamentation in her voice.

~

ddn81w3-d1639fee-f5a2-4dc6-aa34-00c588b8

thank you judge amy lee @Kavish.. what a great read :clap3:

ddn81w3-d1639fee-f5a2-4dc6-aa34-00c588b8

35 minutes ago, Kavish said:

Chloé has drowned, but it's safe to say that you won't this round

I screamed. Thanks Kavish! 

xwMRTl1.gif

qbzmGX2.png

Round 2

Spoiler

Aaliyah - U Got Nerve
Interesting choice. It fits the theme with her anger toward whoever she’s talking about. And it’s a nice song. Good job. 

Billie Eilish - bury a friend
Honestly, you could never go wrong with Billie for a round like this. This is one of the few songs I like from that album too so great job!

Charli XCX - Good Ones

She’s upset that she let good relationships or moments pass her by. I’m not sure if I’m sold on your write-up at all but it’s somewhat there. The song itself is excellent. 

Chloe x Halle - Hazy
This production is definitely what I was expecting for a darker sound. I wish the lyrics matched it a bit more in that arena but it’s alright. And of course, I love love this song.

Demi Lovato - Here We Go Again
The song is cute. It’s somewhat on theme so sure I guess.

Ellie Goulding - My Blood
This is what I wanted. Winner!

f(x) - Red Light
This is excellent. The way it builds up and becomes intense >>>> (I have bass headphones so I can FEEL it.) And I definitely see how this matches the theme.

Ginger Root - Rikki
No. This is music I put on when studying for an exam or hanging at a coffee shop. Good luck.

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Mars for the Rich
There is this sort of ominous warning about the future which I find fascinating. This song choice is excellent.

Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence
Lana is another person I expected to do well with this theme. For this round, I will enjoy this song for what it is. 

LOONA - So What
I definitely see the chaotic aspects of this song so it fits the theme somewhat for me. The song itself is just middling for me. 

Miley Cyrus - WTF Do I Know
Anger is prominent throughout the song. The way she’s dismissive about whoever the song is about sell it for me. And this is a very good song so good job.

Mylène Farmer - Chloé
Right off the bat, I’m already confused and concerned sjafhsahc. I love the sort of haunting orchestra sound that is playing toward the end. And the lyrics are...something else. This is everything I expected for this round, and more. 

Red Velvet - Monster
This is 100% on theme. The lyrics and the production are really selling it. The song itself I’m not really feeling, but it’s acceptable.

serpentwithfeet - wrong tree
This is sort of alternating production is interesting and adds to the song IMO. The lyrics are solid and works for the theme. Song-wise I enjoy this, nothing to hate from me. 

Shakira - Don't Bother
Cute song. The story she’s presenting throughout the song works for me. 

Shania Twain - Ka-Ching!
Oh, we got another anti-capitalism sing! Loving this style of critique, where she gets trapped in this societal expectation of richness but then snaps back and considers the other side of things, being poor and not living comfortably. The song itself is amazing IMO. 

SHINee - Orgel
Oh right off the bat I can hear that they intend to unnerve me with the instrumental. The lyrics also work here too. I only wish the song itself was a bit stronger. 

St. Vincent - Krokodil

The chaotic production right off the bat :deadbanana: The chorus is really selling it for me. This is not something I would go back to but I think it’s a solid song. 

Sufjan Stevens - Vesuvius
Hmm… It works for the theme, I guess.

Taylor Swift - I Did Something Bad
The production works, the lyrics work. The song doesn’t however. 

Tinashe - Cold Sweat
Oh yeah, this definitely fits so great job in that regard. Not my favorite Tinashe song though, it’s just alright for me. 

Tove Lo - Don't Talk About It
This works for me theme-wise. Song wise it’s decent. 

Troye Sivan - DKLA
This is definitely fitting with the production. There’s this sort of ghostiness to the instrumental, too. Which fits the loneliness he’s feeling at this time. Tkay’s verse is just the cherry on top. I think this was the ideal song for this round from him personally. 

Whitney Houston - My Name Is Not Susan
She’s ain’t SUSAN! Put some respect on Whitney Elizabeth Houston’s name! Perfect anger type of song for this round. 

Zara Larsson - Right Here
It’s a different take on the round and I appreciate it for that. Song-wise it’s far from her strongest but it is acceptable. 

I'm confused on the tagging situation rn so I won't bother with that

1 hour ago, Dessy Spiced Latte said:

Charli XCX - Good Ones

She’s upset that she let good relationships or moments pass her by. I’m not sure if I’m sold on your write-up at all but it’s somewhat there.

I'm confused on the tagging situation rn so I won't bother with that

Baby… no

In an October 2021 interview with MET107, she said:

The song is about when you move away from somebody who is caring, supportive, stable, and safe, and decide instead you’re gonna run towards a really dangerous, probably toxic, person. And I feel like we’ve all done that in some kind of way, whether it be with a relationship or like a thing. It’s about wanting danger.

vXLJD0w.gif

Mariah Carey, una diablesa al vacío por Halloween

MY CRITIQUES

Spoiler

Aaliyah - U Got Nerve - I’m not really feeling the anger in her delivery but the instrumental definitely sounds dark enough to make it a fit for the round. Overall the song is cute but kinda forgettable.

Billie Eilish - bury a friend - Period I’m so glad you sent this, one of her best songs and absolutely nails the theme I don’t think you even needed an explanation. 

Charli XCX - Good Ones - I mean kinda? It feels like a bit of a reach thematically, sonically the song isn’t very dark either imo. It’s a bop though.

Chloe x Halle - Hazy - Oop now this one sounds dark and like a halloween bop, I definitely see what you were going for with the explanation so good job.

Demi Lovato - Here We Go Again - I’m not that sure about this one in regards to the theme, it’s just too poppy and not really angry sounding but I understand what you were going for with the lyrical themes I suppose. Cute bop too.

Ellie Goulding - My Blood - Well maybe don’t say that this is her best song cuz… anyways yes a nice fit for the round, lyrically and sonically too. 

f(x) - Red Light - I hear the darkness sonically, especially in the chorus, and I’ll take your word on the lyrics so it's a good choice for the round! Do I like it? That’s another question.

Ginger Root - Rikki - Oop we love creativity and storytelling! I personally see what you were going for, the whistling at the end, it’s kinda giving AHS soundtrack. 

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Mars for the Rich - Well I didn’t expect them to serve this after their cute lil chill bop from last round. This is some scurry song for sure.

Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence - A good fit for the round and almost every Lana song sounds like it could be in the soundtrack of a dark fantasy movie. 

LOONA - So What - Yeah I’m not really hearing the chaos unless we use the word hell to describe a messy noisy production. Wish you had delved more into the thematic correlation of the song with the round.  

Miley Cyrus - WTF Do I Know - I hear the anger through her delivery and the instrumental so good pick! It’s also a big bop.

Mylène Farmer - Chloé - This is some scurry **** for sure, I wouldn’t listen to this in the dark for sure but even though this is not my fave song here I have no choice but to give this a perfect score.

Red Velvet - Monster - Also creepy sounding while delivering a bit of a bop at the same time, good job. Not a big fan of the baby noises but they add to the eeriness. 

serpentwithfeet - wrong tree - At moments it felt like you were kinda reaching in your explanation but I appreciate the storytelling. Love this biblical bop.

Shakira - Don't Bother - I’m not really getting the pure anger, bitterness yeah a bit but she also sounds kinda hurt hmm. Never has been a fave from her for me too. 

Shania Twain - Ka-Ching! - Communist queen snapped a bit, I like this approach to the theme and the threatening strings in the instrumental also help deliver the hell theme. 

SHINee - Orgel - Oh I love the sound of this, very eerie sounding but chill and vibey at the same time. Those lyrics you highlighted also help sell this as a great choice for the round. 

St. Vincent - Krokodil - A chaotic rock bop yes, I don’t know what the hell she’s saying at this part but she sounds angry for sure. 

Sufjan Stevens - Vesuvius - An interesting approach to the round, I’m here for it, the lyrics definitely hint at a hell theme and the glitchy production also helps sell it. Your explanation was kinda weird though, it felt like you weren’t really connecting your ideas, but anyways still a good fit. 

Taylor Swift - I Did Something Bad - Erm I wish you had served us an explanation for this one, I guess it fits because of the witches metaphor? Major bop though. 

Tinashe - Cold Sweat - Another unique approach to the round, I like it. 

Tove Lo - Don't Talk About It - Eh I can kinda see what you were going for but it’s not really that dark imo. 

Troye Sivan - DKLA - Sonically and lyrically is a good choice for this round, could’ve done with the random feature though. 

Whitney Houston - My Name Is Not Susan - Oop she came on this bitch mad as hell!! I’m not really getting the 80s halloween party vibes though maybe cause I’m not that old. 

Zara Larsson - Right Here - Not really feeling it for this round, it’s also too cute and poppy. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.