VMAs get digital boost: 1.4B minutes of content watched

Hector

• #FreeBritney Activist

ViacomCBS says its cross-platform metric of total minutes consumed grew year to year. People watched 1.4 billion minutes worth of content from the VMAs, per ViacomCBS — a 9 percent increase from 1.29 billion minutes for the 2020 show (that figure itself was revised down from 1.33 billion minutes).

Total minutes consumed includes the simulcast of the show across 11 ViacomCBS cable channels and The CW, as well as the preshow, encores and support programming leading up to the event, plus viewing on streaming and other digital platforms.

Also:

Sunday’s show had 900,000 viewers on the main channel, and a smattering elsewhere on channels like VH1 and BET. On MTV itself it was a 31% drop from last year’s 1.3 million.

The VH1 numbers were 149,000. The Paramount channel was 159,000. Nick-at-Nite and BET were better, around 200,000 each. TV Land came in at 186,000. Total viewers for the show were probably 3 million.

On the CW Network, the VMAs scored just 606,000 viewers, down from last year’s 871,000. That’s a 31% drop.

https://www.showbiz411.com/2021/09/14/mtvs-video-music-awards-scored-less-than-a-million-viewers-on-mtv-and-not-much-more-anywhere-else

Edited by Hector

2 minutes ago, Lights and Waves said:

Maybe next year they’ll stream it at last :rip:

The fact that both the 2021 EMMYs and 2022 GRAMMYs will be streamed on Paramount+ but the VMAs weren't  :ace: 

This is a better measure of these awards shows. It'd wager to say that if social media platforms were counted, you'd get almost double the watch time. 

No one watches TV itself anymore. Just clips and playback on YouTube.  

6 minutes ago, andresg770 said:

The fact that both the 2021 EMMYs and 2022 GRAMMYs will be streamed on Paramount+ but the VMAs weren't  :ace: 

2021 EMMY's will be aired on CBS.

GRAMMYs are always aired on CBS. 

VMAs are always aired on MTV (and other VIACOM Networks).

Paramount+ includes a CBS live feed based on local networks and doesn't include MTV, VH1, etc.

Is that including every little clip on Twitter and YouTube or something :rip:

Viewership is still ultimately declining, they should start streaming it live on Netflix or something 

42 minutes ago, pokerfaceboy said:

2021 EMMY's will be aired on CBS.

GRAMMYs are always aired on CBS. 

VMAs are always aired on MTV (and other VIACOM Networks).

Paramount+ includes a CBS live feed based on local networks and doesn't include MTV, VH1, etc.

Yes, I'm aware of all that.  But they're not acting like they just happen to be streaming he Emmys because this is CBS's year in the rotation.  They're advertising it heavily on their P+ homepage and making it available on-demand afterwards.

Plus, they don't need for something to air on CBS to stream it live.  They stream a bunch of soccer games everyday, and they have a 24-hour live stream dedicated exclusively to ET.  Lord knows Paramount+'s nostalgia strategy hinges almost entirely on reviving old MTV shows at this point... Why not stream the VMAs too?

1 hour ago, andresg770 said:

Yes, I'm aware of all that.  But they're not acting like they just happen to be streaming he Emmys because this is CBS's year in the rotation.  They're advertising it heavily on their P+ homepage and making it available on-demand afterwards.

Plus, they don't need for something to air on CBS to stream it live.  They stream a bunch of soccer games everyday, and they have a 24-hour live stream dedicated exclusively to ET.  Lord knows Paramount+'s nostalgia strategy hinges almost entirely on reviving old MTV shows at this point... Why not stream the VMAs too?

A little info I can share: a VMA livestream was supposed to happen (you can blame the execs for cancelling it yet again) and it was supposed to actually not require any subscription. I agree on all of what you said, but certain people don’t agree with the thinking that social media is more of a benchmark now and are hanging on to ratings.

43 minutes ago, pokerfaceboy said:

A little info I can share: a VMA livestream was supposed to happen (you can blame the execs for cancelling it yet again) and it was supposed to actually not require any subscription. I agree on all of what you said, but certain people don’t agree with the thinking that social media is more of a benchmark now and are hanging on to ratings.

SMDH...  I really don't understand their thinking sometimes.  The flashback day they did last year with the 1999 and 2000 VMAs got more people talking about MTV on social media than anything else.  They're relying more and more on fan votes and artists with international stanbases.  And the VMAs are a huge source of MTV nostalgia online (people sell DVDs of old ceremonies online; VMA clips keep getting taken down from Youtube for copyright; I've seen home recordings of old VMAs on VHS go for $15+ on eBay as recently as this year...).

I get that MTV is the home of the VMAs, but they're a natural fit for Paramount+ too  :coffee2: