THERE IS ALREADY A THREAD FOR THE ETERNALS SPOILER. STOP MAKING NEW ONES.

Lorde - 'Te Ao Mārama'

liammmmacbtw

Available to pre-order on vinyl here.

100% OF ARTIST NET PROCEEDS WILL BE DONATED* TO TWO AMAZING NZ-BASED CHARITIES— FOREST AND BIRD AND TE HUA KAWARIKI CHARITABLE TRUST.

Edited by liammmmacbtw

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wonderland

• Letemtalk

• VENUSWAVE

• thetea

Top Posters In This Topic

• ATRL Moderator

This is so damn cool and meaningful!!!! Te reo Māori (Māori language) has been really picking up steam this past decade. I'm taking lessons now and was losing steam - so this is great inspiration to keep learning. :smitten: huge appreciation for this mahi! 

I have some VERY EXCITING NEWS. News I’ve been waiting a really long time to share with you. It is my great pleasure to present TE AO MĀRAMA, a 5-song companion piece to SOLAR POWER, sung entirely in te reo Māori, the indigenous language of Aotearoa New Zealand.

Many things revealed themselves slowly to me while I was making this album, but the main realisation by far was that much of my value system around caring for and listening to the natural world comes from traditional Māori principles. There’s a word for it in te reo: kaitiakitanga, meaning ‘guardianship or caregiving for the sky, sea and land’. I’m not Māori, but all New Zealanders grow up with elements of this worldview. Te ao Māori and tikanga Māori are a big part of why people who aren’t from here intuit our country to be kind of ‘magical’, I think. I know I’m someone who represents New Zealand globally in a way, and in making an album about where I’m from, it was important to me to be able to say: this makes us who we are down here. It’s also just a crazy beautiful language— I loved singing in it. Even if you don’t understand te reo, I think you’ll get a kick out of how elegant my words sound in it. Hana’s translations for Te Ara Tika / The Path and Hine-i-te-Awatea / Oceanic Feeling in particular take my g-d breath away

This is decisively better than Solar Power. The added backing vocals really fill out some of the songs, the Māori is much more fitting for the laid back, beachy instrumentals, and the boring filler songs from the Solar Power LP are absent on this release. Really interesting and thoughtful EP.