SPIN: All pop artists today owe some debt to Lana

NOW

Before “Arcadia” arrived, Del Rey wrote on her Instagram: “listen to it like you listened to ‘Video Games.'”

If that implies these songs are meant to be understood as bookends, “Arcadia” is an astonishing farewell to an industry that trashed her from the beginning and almost immediately rebuilt itself in her image. There’s no popular artist alive today that doesn’t owe some debt to Del Rey’s artistic vision. Just ask Taylor Swift, who said as much as the 2019 Billboard Music Awards.

https://www.spin.com/2021/09/lana-del-rey-arcadia/

tumblr_inline_opt5zpNEZz1sm0bjj_540.png

ezgif-4-7e3f25885e88.thumb.gif.a19b12eff

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOW

• HonourableVomit

• Ice Cream Skies

• CBC

2 minutes ago, Alak96 said:

The fact that she's a critical darling AGAIN. Somehow she always there, I CAN stand it!

She’s winning again…

I absolutely agree. She's the most impactful artist of the 2010s. Just think of how Born to Die used to be considered indie/alternative music back then, and now it might as well be considered radio-friendly pop...

“Arcadia” is both elegant and elegiac. Over a muted piano, Del Rey sings her origin story with an innocence that recalls Daniel Johnston’s compact masterpiece, “Story Of An Artist.” The way she lets us hear just enough of a quiver feels like an act of surrender for Del Rey. Without the old Hollywood glamor, Del Rey sounds liberated, clear-eyed, and mournful. Del Rey, like her folk forbears Patty Griffin and Joan Baez, does all three at once.

It's the way they casually write her in with all of her idols and no one bats an eye anymore :chick3:

• #FreeBritney Activist

One of the most influential musicians of our time and one of the best songwriters of all times. 

Cannot wait for Blue Banisters

3 minutes ago, May said:

she’s never going to have a critically panned era again , is she ? :rip: 

i mean, does she deserve to be panned? I don’t think so 

ezgif-4-c3a621c333d4.thumb.gif.48a58fce1

2 minutes ago, NOW said:

It's the way they casually write her in with all of her idols and no one bats an eye anymore :chick3:

This is emotional 

trisha-crying.gif

• #FreeBritney Activist
3 minutes ago, Daddy said:

No lies told! They all should give Lana writing credits 

Taylor definitely should for "Wildest Dreams" 

It sounds exactly like Lana's "Without You"