• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iHype.

• brianc33710

• blackbeatxx

• UnusualBoy

22 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

He's not actually.

The original single that Billboard used for charting purposes Bell 45-318 lists it as Dawn (Featuring Tony Orlando)

for some reason, when it first charted on the Hot 100 it was only credited to Dawn.  It wasn't until the fourth and final week, May 12 1973, at number one that Billboard listed it as Dawn featuring Tony Orlando.

That said, it's definitely one of those cases where the billing doesn't do the actual reality of the song justice. But we can't change history.  Dawn by the way was originally a mixed sex session band that recorded hits with Tony on lead vocals and was billed as Dawn. EThen Dawn morphed into a female vocal band with Tony still on vocals by the time Tie came out. Contractually he couldn't use his name at first so it was called simply Dawn.   As time went on, he did use his name.  It was Dawn. Then Dawn Featuring Tony Orlando, and finally Tony Orlando and Dawn.

It really doesn't belong on the list, but technically by labelling it does qualify I guess.  I wouldn't put it on. It's really considered a group. In fact Tony was always the key member of the group.

Yeah. I said in a post, which only made it to I Type's wall, that I actually went back and looked at the BB H 100s from back in 1973, and Dawn's name was the only one listed. I should've added a second post on here too, as I thought I had done.

Rihanna with the highest from the new generation :clap3: only the icon.

16 hours ago, UnusualBoy said:

I was expecting IWALY being higher, the song was humongous but I guess the longevity holds more weight. I'm shocked to see Physical, I know it was huge but it must've had insane longevity even though it was #1 for 10 weeks.

What these rankings don't reflect is how Houston had at least 2X the points of the #2 song for NINE of its 14 weeks at #1. Because Always was so huge for such a long period of time, it sold through its 4.6 M physical singles (second only to Candle In The Wind 1997) quickly. Also, because Houston rose up the airplay charts so fast (T 40 30-11-2-1; 66-25-10-2-1 HRS), and was given at the time unprecedented amounts of airplay, the song's chart run was shorter. I wish that BB could figure out a way to factor in "power points" into these rankings. Chart runs alone really only provide half of the story.

There's actually so much quality on this list. :jonny4: 

I CANNOT believe that Half-Breed was bigger than Believe. Wtf?

Super surprised that Justify My Love managed to sneak in there, too. It's one of my favorite #1 hits ever, but it's so hard to imagine it actually being a #1 hit. Can't envision anything sounding like that at the top of the charts. 

Edited by Achilles.

Where is "Big Girls Don't Cry" by Fergie? It's been listed at 89 on 50th Anniversary Singles Chart :jonny:

And "That's What Friends are For" is credited as Dionne & Friends, but I think Stevie Wonder & Elton John included in "Friends" also lead this single, so it wouldn't be listed here.

Bey :clap3:

Slay those multiple entries, Bey :clap3: 

wow! Like A Virgin, Vogue...even Crazy For You and Justify My Love made it but not Like A Prayer?! :eek:

Bey :clap3: 

Mariah, Madonna & Katy destroying the other gurls :eek: 

liberalmusiclover
8 hours ago, PhreshDiamond said:

Rihanna with the highest from the new generation :clap3: only the icon.

The biggest female hit of this decade.  I remember when the Little Monsters arguing with me that Rolling in the Deep was bigger. :sistrens:

Edited by liberalmusiclover

Females with Most Entries:

• Mariah Carey, Madonna - 5
  • Katy Perry - 4

:clap3: 

Queen Janet has 3 entries as well:

Miss You Much

Escapade

That's The Way Love Goes

Curious to see where these other classics rank: All For You, Together Again, and When I Think of You (Again would also rank high but it's chart trajectory was split between 2 years)

By the way, this song was so HUGE: Irene Cara - Flashdance...What a Feeling

Edited by robbyds

84. Iggy Azalea - Fancy

So this is the biggest female rapper hit of all time?

Edited by Green

4 minutes ago, Green said:

84. Iggy Azalea - Fancy

So this is the biggest female rapper hit of all time?

Bigger hit than Hello :jonny::deadbanana3: 

1 hour ago, ChartsFan said:

There was no escaping it at the time.  It's definitely one of those songs that chart performance alone doesn't tell the full tale.

Very true

7 hours ago, liberalmusiclover said:

The biggest female hit of this decade.  I remember when the Little Monsters arguing with me that Rolling in the Deep was bigger. :sistrens:

and it will remain the biggest female hit of this decade :alexz: 

Legend LeAnn Rimes :clap3: 

• ATRL Moderator

Ciara :clap3:

My fave with 3 entries :jonny: 

90. Laura Branigan - Gloria

#justiceforselfcontrol

7 hours ago, liberalmusiclover said:

I love Adele but facts don't lie :sistrens: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.