Vanishing Letters 9 | WINNER REVEALED (p.187)| #WinterComing

Overprotected

21 hours ago, minho said:

I'm really excited about this round bc I love this genre

BTW a great tip if you're struggling with the genre stuff is to check out Rate Your Music for the song you're looking for specifically. They have tags for genres. I would probably advise looking at the bigger genre tags and not trying to stretch something to fit "pop rock". Plenty of songs have guitars or subtle rock influences but we're looking for songs that truly embrace pop-rock this round. Make it easier for yourself and don't try to stretch too much.

I have sent a pop-rock song, but this post among other posts, along with the round title is confusing me.

According to the instructions, we can send a song that doesn't fall under the "pop rock" category as long as it is rock.

On 8/31/2021 at 10:00 PM, clue said:

We want you to send a Pop Rock song. You're free to send something that would be considered straight up Rock, too. However, we're not looking for straight up Pop.

ANY TYPE OF SONG

I therefore read "ANY TYPE OF SONG" as "Any type of rock song", so pop rock, alternative rock, classic rock, and so on are allowed.

I'm just putting this out there before those who sent something not considered "pop rock" get penalized or unfairly under-ranked.

@clue Can you confirm / clarify, please? :dancehall2:

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ughgabriel

• Kavish

• Dessy

• Overprotected

2 minutes ago, Kavish said:

I have sent a pop-rock song, but this post among other posts, along with the round title is confusing me.

According to the instructions, we can send a song that doesn't fall under the "pop rock" category as long as it is rock.

I therefore read "ANY TYPE OF SONG" as "Any type of rock song", so pop rock, alternative rock, classic rock, and so on are allowed.

I'm just putting this out there before those who sent something not considered "pop rock" get penalized or unfairly under-ranked.

I think what they meant by any type is singles and album tracks. There could be rounds where singles are banned. But that's what I understand from it.

To me it reads like you can send anything as long as it’s rock. 

The tricky part will be whether the judges & contestants are going to critique your song on if it’s a pop rock song and also if it’s a good song overall or if they’ll just critique your song based on if it’s a good song even if it isn’t pop rock.

Edited by Guero

5 minutes ago, touya kinomoto said:

I think what they meant by any type is singles and album tracks. There could be rounds where singles are banned. But that's what I understand from it.

I see.  Even if it means singles and album tracks, my concern remain.

Should we limit ourselves to "pop rock" when the instructions asked for "straight up rock, too"?

On 8/31/2021 at 10:00 PM, clue said:

We want you to send a Pop Rock song. You're free to send something that would be considered straight up Rock, too. However, we're not looking for straight up Pop.

And doesn't alternative rock and classic rock fall under "straight up rock"? 

:dancehall3:

Ngl i just sent a song that sound like rock and I'm not checking for these rock subgenres :chick2:

10 minutes ago, Guero said:

To me it reads like you can send anything as long as it’s rock. 

The tricky part will be whether the judges & contestants are going to critique your song on if it’s a pop rock song and also if it’s a good song overall or if they’ll just critique your song based on if it’s a good song even if it isn’t pop rock.

That's what I understood as well and I think it would be easier if we just treat this as a Rock Round period.

The instructions are clear to us, but a lot of people are reading it like a Pop Rock Round and this may unfairly penalize those who sent a song which is not necessarily Pop Rock-sounding.

133197270_jennie-kin-stuns-calvin-klein-

Edited by Kavish

1 minute ago, Dessy said:

Ngl i just sent a song that sound like rock and I'm not checking for these rock subgenres :chick2:

Sir the round is called pop rock 

Just now, Rotunda said:

Sir the round is called pop rock 

Sir the hoest said send pop rock or straight up rock

Just now, Dessy said:

Sir the hoest send send pop rock or straight up rock

Which I support

Just now, Rotunda said:

Which I support

Then what's the problem? 

As long as we accepted it (and we’re vetoing the songs when there’s doubt) it really shouldn’t matter. 

So if you judge/rank based on how much it fits the theme you’re a LOSER!

3 minutes ago, mokitsu said:

As long as we accepted it (and we’re vetoing the songs when there’s doubt) it really shouldn’t matter. 

where is the lie?

moLwzfJ.gif

4 minutes ago, mokitsu said:

:clap3:

Also, I didn't know that our songs get "accepted". I thought we were just sending songs at our own risk. This is good to know.

15 minutes ago, Dessy said:

Then what's the problem? 

nothing I just wanted to talk to you :) 

3 minutes ago, Rotunda said:

nothing I just wanted to talk to you :) 

Stream Try Again by Aaliyah this Friday!

Interesting discourse about the iconic sub genre

SQlQy3a.gif

Come through with the reveals tonight tho Hosts

Edited by ZORBIT

2 hours ago, Kavish said:

oh yeah that's what I meant, as long as it leans more in pop rock or a rock genre it's fine. I meant more like people who are trying to stretch a song that happens to have guitars or something as though it's pop rock.

But yeah like if the hoests have accepted it, it fits the theme so that's all that matters. This isn't a game where people need to debate if something "fits" because that's annoying and kind of subjective sometimes!! At that point its just do we like the song or not :gaycat3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.