Vanishing Letters 9 | WINNER REVEALED (p.187)| #WinterComing

Overprotected

2 hours ago, clue said:

jFnxHel.png

OPENERS

Rank the entries from your group (Excluding your own entry, of course)

Judges will be ranking/critiquing every song

GROUP 1

Contestants: Rank songs 1-19

Reveal hidden contents

Alena

Billionaire

Drifloon

dweebz

Guero

Hikari

Jai

K$Ellie

Kavish

kipperskipper

Moonlightbae

Noah

PinkBox

Psycho

Rotunda

Stevie

Touch It

touya kinomoto

ughgabriel

Valtersen

Reveal hidden contents

Apink - Dumhdurum

BANKS - Gemini Feed

Björk - Army of Me

BLACKPINK - How You Like That

Céline Dion - It's All Coming Back to Me Now

Charli XCX - Vroom Vroom

Doja Cat - Go to Town

Hole - Celebrity Skin

Jessie Ware - Spotlight

Kari Faux - Medicated

Kelela - A Message

Kesha - Your Love Is My Drug

Liz Phair - 6'1"

Lorde - Tennis Court

P!NK - Stupid Girls

Rita Ora - Anywhere

Sam Smith - Young

The Knife - Heartbeats

TWICE - I Can't Stop Me

WILLOW - T r a n s p a r e n t s o u l

Spotify Playlist

GROUP 2

Contestants: Rank songs 1-18

Reveal hidden contents

Auburn

Dessy

Element

Future Lover

Insanity

Jay-Zicario

Lucky#17

luckystrike

Mr. Duff

Not Like The Movies

Pendulum

Sanguine

TayDine1989

Taylucifer

Thanatos

Tom Vercetti

TruGemini

worldwide angel

Zolvnski

Hide contents

Black Dresses - Peacesign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie Puth - The Way I Am

Doja Cat - Cyber Sex

Doja Cat - Woman

Erika de Casier - Drama

L Devine - Priorities

Madonna - Survival

Mitski - Happy

Pat Benatar - Heartbreaker

Rihanna - Phresh Out the Runway

Rihanna - SOS

Sade - Smooth Operator

Sara Bareilles - Brave

Shakira - She Wolf

St. Vincent - Pay Your Way in Pain

SZA - Supermodel

TeaMarrr - Chasing Amy

Wolf Alice - The Beach

Zara Larsson - Love Me Land

Spotify Playlist

Mandatory: Post your critiques for your group's songs in the thread. And send your rankings to @Overprotected

DEADLINE: FRI, AUG, 27 @ 9:00AM EDT - 48 HOURS

why r these tags not coming lol

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ughgabriel

• Kavish

• Dessy

• Overprotected

TeaMarrr - Chasing Amy

I like the instrumental but that's about it

St. Vincent - Pay Your Way in Pain
Good song. Dont get the hate. I like it. Not the best song here tho. Etc. 

Wolf Alice - The Beach

Ugggghhhh this was too short, I wanted this song to continue forever, so good

SZA - Supermodel
Not gonna lie. I usually skip this song and go straight to Love Galore. But it's cute. 

Wolf Alice - The Beach

Meh just Meh. That's it. 

The first few seconds :wanda: J'adore 

I just don't liked it at all. 

Underwhelming way to end the Round. :gaycat6:

Edited by Jay-Zicario

TeaMarrr - Chasing Amy
Wait this is great. Lowkey it gives me like older Broadway vibes but make it modern. I might need to get into her. 

Wolf Alice - The Beach
Oh wow, oh wow. This is actually excellent. Very strong song for me

Bagels showing taste :clap3:

I'm expecting the other Judges to follow the same

XlHw.gif

Edited by Zolvnski

Virtually unlimited choices and you give us Zara? 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952bbe090fddefe98295

shaq-laughing.gif

nicholas-cage-funny.gif

You're lucky this is a whole damn bop tho

Q285zig.png

Group 1

Apink - Dumhdurum - Cute tropical vibes

BANKS - Gemini Feed - I really like the chorus x

Björk - Army of Me - Bjork's music just gives me Matrix characters walking like bad asses in slow motion vibes sometimes

BLACKPINK - How You Like That - I love some black in my pink area personally

Céline Dion - It's All Coming Back to Me Now - An epic classic ballad, one of my faves from the 90s and from Celine

Charli XCX - Vroom Vroom - LETS RIDE, I love playing this while playing as Peach in Mario Kart

Doja Cat - Go to Town - A bop :jamming: it's a fun song, playful 

Hole - Celebrity Skin - I love this banger, also one of my 90s faves

Jessie Ware - Spotlight - This serve :winnie: a modern classic

Kari Faux - Medicated - This album cover and name :deadbanana4: an interesting choice, it was something different I guess

Kelela - A Message - This was fine, the production was not my favorite

Kesha - Your Love Is My Drug - One of Kesha's best :praise: I get good nostalgia vibes from this song :heart2: 

Liz Phair - 6'1" - This seems risky for round 1, I'm more of a Sheryl Crow stan

Lorde - Tennis Court - One of Lorde's best :praise: love when she raps 

P!NK - Stupid Girls - Cute, this song's production has always sounded rough to me

Rita Ora - Anywhere - A little basic, a little bop, don't love the vocal effects after the chorus

Sam Smith - Young - I wouldn't listen to this again, it was okay tho

The Knife - Heartbeats - I like the production

TWICE - I Can't Stop Me - Love this fun bop :jamming: 

WILLOW - T r a n s p a r e n t s o u l - One of my favorite songs released this year :oprah: 

staryu also serving taste, we stan!

1 minute ago, Guero said:

what is THIS hunny 

it matches my trash taste :heart2: 

Wait :deadbanana:

47 minutes ago, clue said:

They’re not??? Oh hell nah

no it did i just didnt notice mess

gcLkmMx.png

Group 2

Hi, I like too many of these songs, sorry if you're ranked low :noparty:

Black Dresses - Peacesign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - This is loud and confusing

Charlie Puth - The Way I Am - This is my first time hearing this and I actually like it, a bit of a bop

Doja Cat - Cyber Sex - Iconic, fun, I love cyber sex too

Doja Cat - Woman - This smash :jamming: 

Erika de Casier - Drama - One of my faves from Erika

L Devine - Priorities - Yas Element, spread the gospel about this song

Madonna - Survival - It's all about survivallllll :winnie: not one of my top faves, but it's still Madonna and I like it 

Mitski - Happy - Indie darling, I don't love the stanky saxophone on the song but the rest I use

Pat Benatar - Heartbreaker - Yas Drag Race's impact, I actually love Pat Benatar, Love is a Battlefield :winnie: 

Rihanna - Phresh Out the Runway - Rih's iconic VSFS runway walk made this song better

Rihanna - SOS - Timeless bop

Sade - Smooth Operator - ugh this is so good, so chill, so cool :alexz2:

Sara Bareilles - Brave - This is the song is iconic on ATRL b/c of Mary's Roar premonition, it's kinda basic tho x

Shakira - She Wolf - This song makes me want to do splits on a dick

St. Vincent - Pay Your Way in Pain - I like when she screams 

SZA - Supermodel - SZA is gorgeous in this video, the song is pretty too 

TeaMarrr - Chasing Amy - Never heard of this artist but I liked it, kinda gave me SZA vibes, maybe b/c I listened to them back to back tho

Wolf Alice - The Beach - I like the vibe of this song

Zara Larsson - Love Me Land - Zara did that

rocLCBA.png

GROUP 1

Spoiler

Apink - Dumhdurum: these ladies did the almost impossible task of remaining relevant and releasing consistently amazing music for 9 years. this song concluded their trinity of excellent, sugary title tracks and revamped their image to a more mature audience. it's not my favorite of the three, but it's still a hell of a good song! the big but calm chorus is super addictive and there's a synth line throughout the song that's infectious as hell.

BANKS - Gemini Feed: this is one of the few songs where i can stomach BANKS. she's probably one of the most talentless people in the industry, but i think the excessive vocal production works for this song, and the production and lyrics are pretty cool as well. i love how the synth arpeggio keeps building up and drowning out the vocals towards the end.

Bjork - Army of Me: not a fan of her music at all, and this isn't an exception.

BLACKPINK - How You Like That: excellent song. i'll just copy paste my blurb from my best of 2020 lol. i know this song is like... universally panned but i don't care! the first few notes in their comeback single recall "kill this love", with its triumphant horns and their iconic callout. but if "kill this love" was about a toxic romance that needed to be ended, "how you like that" is its triumphant follow up - the girls are alone and better than ever. every section in this song is different, but obviously the drop in the chorus is so present that it should be the 5th member. it's noisy but it gives me a buzz, and when it mutates into its final form during the outro, it's genuinely chill inducing.

Céline Dion - It’s All Coming Back to Me Now: this is how you make a power ballad. It’s epic, full of emotion, and slightly creepy. I just can’t not imagine Céline singing this in an empty castle in the 13th century with a storm raging outside. Also a masterclass on pacing: it knows when to build up and when to slow down, depending on the emotion she’s conveying, so that no second of its almost 8 minutes is wasted.

Charli XCX - Vroom Vroom: WHO else listened to this when it premiered on Beats One (?) and it was all censored and only had that version to listen to with ****ty Soundcloud quality for some months??? It’s a great song, and a peak Charli has been trying to reach again ever since.

Doja Cat - Go To Town: a quirky bop, it’s fun and that’s about it. It has a certain undercooked, pre-fame charm about it, though.

Hole - Celebrity Skin: to a certain other song in this group I listened to before this… this is how you make good rock!! Catchy and radio-friendly but still full of edge and personality. A big win for Ms. Love.

Jessie Ware - Spotlight: A song we all know and love. If I was a contestant I’d be fuming :mandown: very theatrical, groovy, mysterious, classy… it has an Agatha Christie aura about it, like there’s a murder about to happen in the dancefloor and the rich beautiful lady in furs is guilty. I could say so much more - it’s just a beautiful song that pulls you into its world and doesn’t let you escape.

Kari Faux - Medicated: Not the best of vibe-y soundcloud R&B

Kelela - A Message: the best of vibe-y soundcloud R&B. probably the first song of hers i heard because of the Arca credits (i miss this era of her productions) and was instantly in love. Love the sass and emotion, coupled with the amazing but restrained vocals.

Kesha - Your Love is My Drug: of course it sounds straight out of 2011 but it doesn’t sound dated? I don’t know, the melodies are timeless and the production is still sharp. Could very well be a Slayyyter tribute to that era. It’s not one of my faves here, but still a good entry.

Liz Phair - 6’1”: Terrible. Don’t like her voice or the instrumentals. Soccer Mommy did her shtick much better.

Lorde - Tennis Court: I like the nostalgia i get from this more than i like the song itself. It’s good, but was definitely better 10 or so years ago.

P!nk - Stupid Girls: Very cringe and of its time. It’s not much, but she has way better material.

Rita Ora - Anywhere: Rita was my pop savior in 2017 and this was my anthem. I love the themes of running away and being free and being her birthday twin i can relate to that as well. I think it’s aged a bit though, especially the drop. Definitely not my favorite song anymore.

Sam Smith - Young: I appreciate the message but I honestly prefer when they were doing the Adele impersonation gig. This is fine, but forgettable within this group. I like the vocoder, it’s just that there’s literally nothing else going on production-wise.

The Knife - Heartbeat: Don’t think I’ve listened to this before but i like it! I know the singer’s solo work so i was expecting something more pretentious and horrible, but this was very melodic and cute.

TWICE - I Can’t Stop Me: it’s okay, but does not stack up against the majority of TWICE’s title tracks. The physical/blinding lights era came late to kpop (as it usually does), and the results were underwhelming. This one in particular can get very grating with the screeching going on in the chorus.

WILLOW - transparent soul: I hate hate HAAAAAAAAAAATE this song. Such a bad attempt at a All We Know-era Paramore tribute but with terrible vocals.

Group 2 will arrive later today :riri:

Apink - Dumhdurum

This jubilation is such a contrast to my emotion, but the song gets better as it progresses. Wish I could say the same for my state of mind.

BANKS - Gemini Feed

I always thought she was a moody artiste so imagine ma surprise when that chorus hit. Nice discovery for ME!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.