Are Drake & Taylor Swift's longevity impressive?

1 minute ago, QueenBeyoncé said:

She doesn’t. Seeing that Pink can’t translate to a new generation and Beyoncé has.

fUSlt7n.thumb.gif.d5a3b3f90d0f5744ef301c

Who cares about streaming when your tour crossed like 430 million dollars :gaygacat2:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KKCuteCat

• QueenBeyoncé

• Artistofthedecade

• onewillowsilk

41 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

In what world? 

Lwymmd is 6 Platinum, was HUGE. 

Delicate charted for 33 weeks, one of her longest charting songs. It is eligible for 4 Platinum. 

You need to calm down eligible for 4 Platinum and both ME! and Lover are 3 Platinum eligible. Both were moderate hits at worst. Maybe you can say smash(even then there is Lwymmd), but hit is not right word for that. 

Of course she was bigger during 1989. It is one in a lifetime era and her PEAK. Comparing her peak with her other eras make no sense. 

Yes she is not slowing down because she doesn't see the numbers she did at her peak:rip:

All of Rep- Lover- Folklore will surpass 10M units like i said and she keeps releasing similar sized eras. And these are SPS, not only album sales. They include streams. It is popularity measure of ERA. 

I didn’t say she is leagues above other names. For Mariah, i said she had longevity as good as Mariah's. But what is there to compare with Janet and Pink? Both of them released like 5 big eras while Taylor released 8 in a row. Like of course she had better longevity than them. It is not my personal opinion. 

Longevity is not about the time between your first and last album. Like if artist release 20M+ seller in 1990 and then another one in 2020 with 2M sellers in between, doesn't mean that artist had best longevity in history. Or releasing 3M sellers and 10M sellers in your 10th-15th years is not same either. 

All I’ll say is there’s more than simply numbers. Taylor’s stats are a stan’s wet dream. However, we all know Reputation and Lover were a big decline. And yes not being at your peak anymore literally means slowing down. 

If we’re talking about someone of Taylor’s caliber then songs that debut at #2 and then free fall are not hits. Delicate couldn’t even go Top 10, literally no one in the real world cares how many weeks it charted.

Also your interpretation of longevity makes no sense. If an artist can sell millions- decades into their career then they’re literally the definition of longevity. Consistency is a different thing and Taylor is undeniably the queen of that. :clap3:

Mariah, Janet and Whitney were giving us real bonafide smash hits 15 years after their commercial breakthrough. Did their album sales remain as consistent as Taylor’s? No. But the general public remembers hits. Taylor simply can’t compare with their hit longevity which is okay. When you combine their album and single success, their longevity is just much more impressive to me than Taylor. They can’t compare to Taylor’s album longevity/consistency tho! 

4 minutes ago, QueenBeyoncé said:

Pink fan got salty bc @Cap10Planet listed Em & Beyoncé but instead of saying Pink has great longevity too they had to try Bey typically stans of females from Bey’s generation. 

I'm not even a P!nk's fan tho but just being objective :eli:

4 hours ago, KKCuteCat said:

Who cares about streaming when your tour crossed like 430 million dollars :gaygacat2:

But see Beyoncé has BOTH she can tour and gross a lot AND music still streamed enough to be listed as one of the most of the year along side a whole new generation that grew up listening to her. Without being active. Pink can’t say the same 

once more where’s Pink? All the women on this list below grew up listening to Beyoncé. Beyoncé is and will forever be that girl from that era.

Edited by QueenBeyoncé

Why are people discussing Beyonce in a thread about Drake and Taylor's longevity? Make it make sense :skull: 

OT: Both very impressive, even though I wouldn't count his early mixtape run (bar So Far Gone). And I think Drake's (especially his singles) stats are more impressive than they seem since Rap took a backseat to the Dance Pop/Electropop that was in during the early 10s. A lot of his songs pre-2015 peaked low/lower than they should've but have big certifications (The Motto peaking at #14 but being 6x platinum for instance).

Yes and this is factual to anyone who's had a career as long as theirs and managed to stay on top, anyone who said no is quite literally delusional but that's quite expected out of ATRL isn't it?

Artistofthedecade
5 minutes ago, PopThatCorn said:

All I’ll say is there’s more than simply numbers. Taylor’s stats are a stan’s wet dream. However, we all know Reputation and Lover were a big decline. And yes not being at your peak anymore literally means slowing down

Decline from what? Her peak? Yes, this is what your career supposed to do after your peak. There is only one way to go after peak

Slowing down means your career keeps to decline. This is not a case for Taylor. Her career is pretty consistent for last 5 years. 

10 minutes ago, PopThatCorn said:

Delicate couldn’t even go Top 10, literally no one in the real world cares how many weeks it charted.

And someone in real word somehow cares if it peaked at 11 instead of 10? 

13 minutes ago, PopThatCorn said:

Also your interpretation of longevity makes no sense. If an artist can sell millions- decades into their career then they’re literally the definition of longevity

For example, going by the ongoing argument in the thread, do you mean Pink and Beyonce had same longevity since they almost debuted at same time? 

Both of them sell millions afterall. But one of them(Beyonce) sells much more. Doesn't it matter? 

17 minutes ago, PopThatCorn said:

But the general public remembers hits.

Do they? Can general public name more than 5 songs from these names? Especially out of their signature songs? 

Also another point I just remembered: Drake's music (like most urban artists during the early 10s) was heavily pirated so his real album sales (if less people were to illegally download them) are actually pretty underestimated. I remember a thread from oldTRL that showed the artists who were illegally pirated the most and Drake was at the top IIRC.

2 hours ago, Artistofthedecade said:

Neither did Fearless TV but he had no problem to include it so why not include mixtapes? No excuse for that. 

Like why would he talk about Fearless TV but not Drake's 2020 Mixtape :beatfreak:

Even if you add that, Taylor released 2 studio albums last year. Drake's last studio album was released in 2018. Taylor has re-release Fearless this year and will be re-releasing Red in November. 

1 hour ago, MONSTER NAVY said:

taylor isn't impressive lol. drake only really blew up commercially in 2015. 

beyonce and rihanna are more impressive. 

Drake from 2009-2014:

13 top 10 hits on the Hot 100. 

3 #1 albums on the Billboard 200 (Thank Me Later debuted with 447K units in 2010, Take Care debuted with 631K units in 2011 and Nothing Was the Same debuted with 658K units in 2013).

2 arena tours under his belt. 

He's always been huge. Just because you didn't notice till Hotline Bling doesn't mean he just magically became a famous in 2015.  

3 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

Decline from what? Her peak? Yes, this is what your career supposed to do after your peak. There is only one way to go after peak

Slowing down means your career keeps to decline. This is not a case for Taylor. Her career is pretty consistent for last 5 years. 

As I already said Taylor rebounded with the folk projects but was on a sizeable decline with Reputation and then Lover. Of course while other artists would dream about this success, the albums did not have any songs that stuck.

And many artists maintained their peak for two albums? Madonna did (Like A Virgin-True Blue), Mariah did (Music Box-Daydream), Janet did (Rhythm Nation-janet). Taylor kinda lost her hit-making power after 1989 which if anything makes her overall album success right now even more impressive honestly. I’m not knocking any of Taylor’s success. Her name alone did that. :clap3:

12 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

And someone in real word somehow cares if it peaked at 11 instead of 10? 

Someone in the real world doesn’t even know if a song WENT Top 10. Only we do. That’s exactly my point. :laugh:

Delicate was not a memorable hit and Taylor hasn’t served one in a while. Doesn’t mean she won’t ever again. It’s also not a big deal- just means different artists have different strengths and it doesn’t make their “longevity” any less valid. To me, Madonna, Mariah, Whitney, Janet album+singles longevity > Taylor album+singles longevity. That’s really all I have to say.

33 minutes ago, Pink Matter said:

Also another point I just remembered: Drake's music (like most urban artists during the early 10s) was heavily pirated so his real album sales (if less people were to illegally download them) are actually pretty underestimated. I remember a thread from oldTRL that showed the artists who were illegally pirated the most and Drake was at the top IIRC.

Yes. If You're Reading This It's Too Late was the most illegally-downloaded release of 2015 across all genres and hip-hop/rap was the most illegally-downloaded genre of the same year. 

uwa1nvaolfiegxqpryuk.jpg

lvtzi7uheatptqknqpdb.jpg

g5olhazewexgo7lzgzfw.jpg

Him and Future were by far the most illegally-downloaded artists of 2015. 

Link to full article.

52 minutes ago, Pink Matter said:

Why are people discussing Beyonce in a thread about Drake and Taylor's longevity? Make it make sense :skull: 

OT: Both very impressive, even though I wouldn't count his early mixtape run (bar So Far Gone). And I think Drake's (especially his singles) stats are more impressive than they seem since Rap took a backseat to the Dance Pop/Electropop that was in during the early 10s. A lot of his songs pre-2015 peaked low/lower than they should've but have big certifications (The Motto peaking at #14 but being 6x platinum for instance).

His album stats are also really impressive. He landed 6 albums on the Billboard 200 year-end chart last year (the most of any artist). He landed 6 albums as well in the 2019, 2018 and 2017 year-end charts. He's been charting 6 albums every week on the Billboard 200 since 2017 (the most of any artist). He's gained just over 3B streams from his catalog so far this year (the most of any artist), he has the strongest catalog activity out of any artist right now, averaging over 100M streams every week in the US from his catalog (the most of any artist) and on the list of the longest-charting acts on the Billboard 200, he's #3 and will be #2 before the end of the year.

1. The Beatles - 3,071 weeks

2. Eminem - 2,043 weeks

3. Drake - 1,985 weeks

4. The Rolling Stones - 1,968 weeks

5. Elton John - 1,896 weeks

6. Barbra Streisand - 1,883 weeks

7. Michael Jackson - 1,870 weeks

8. Elvis Presley - 1,830 weeks

9. Pink Floyd - 1,645 weeks

10. Taylor Swift - 1,607 weeks

He charts the most albums weekly out of everyone on the list. He'll surpass Eminem before the end of September. 

Edited by onewillowsilk
Artistofthedecade
33 minutes ago, onewillowsilk said:

Even if you add that, Taylor released 2 studio albums last year. Drake's last studio album was released in 2018. Taylor has re-release Fearless this year and will be re-releasing Red in November. 

Yes she did, which resulted with her being most consumed artist of 2020 and 2021(mid year). 

I just struggle to see why they are "NOT in the same boat when it comes to longevity" and how is that related to albums she release in last 1 year when topic is about last 15 years/their overall careers. 

51 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

Yes she did, which resulted with her being most consumed artist of 2020 and 2021(mid year). 

I just struggle to see why they are "NOT in the same boat when it comes to longevity" and how is that related to albums she release in last 1 year when topic is about last 15 years/their overall careers. 

I never said they weren't in the same boat when it comes to longevity. That was never my point. All I said was there's no need to get defensive when people mention how many times she's dropped a new project in the last 18 months to offer context to her numbers. Taylor has obviously served longevity in her career. That's never been in doubt. 

Artistofthedecade
1 hour ago, onewillowsilk said:

I never said they weren't in the same boat when it comes to longevity. That was never my point. All I said was there's no need to get defensive when people mention how many times she's dropped a new project in the last 18 months to offer context to her numbers. Taylor has obviously served longevity in her career. That's never been in doubt. 

The user i quoted did. This was why Taylor's last albums were irrelevant but they were his excuse about why they are not in the same boat. The topic was not about whose 2021 numbers are more impressive but somehow he did it about it, i guess. 

Edited by Artistofthedecade
15 hours ago, onewillowsilk said:

Drake from 2009-2014:

3 #1 albums on the Billboard 200 (Thank Me Later debuted with 447K units in 2010, Take Care debuted with 631K units in 2011 and Nothing Was the Same debuted with 658K units in 2013).

He's always been huge. Just because you didn't notice till Hotline Bling doesn't mean he just magically became a famous in 2015.  

yuh lol ik he's been huge im talking globally lol. 

On 7/22/2021 at 9:04 PM, sasashite said:

Taylor’s is.

Drake’s not so much. His dominance started in 2015. Taylor smashed in 2008 and never stopped since then.

What? Drake was doing album numbers since his debut which I presume is your criterion for Taylor’s dominance Cus she didn’t hit her singles stride till the noughties. 

23 hours ago, onewillowsilk said:

Drake from 2009-2014:

Now compare those stats with Taylor’s.

Drake was successful from 2009 to 2014. But Taylor was already HUGE.

2 hours ago, Bey'Knight said:

What? Drake was doing album numbers since his debut which I presume is your criterion for Taylor’s dominance Cus she didn’t hit her singles stride till the noughties. 

Taylor before 2015 was playing stadiums, selling a million copies in a week, had multiple smash hits and was placed in the top 3 YEC Artist of the Year several times (2009, 2010, 2012, 2013). Drake had none of that until Hotline Bling (late 2015).