Lorde... its getting weird

DesiredConsternation

duybeeGAshantiGA
17 hours ago, bluebirdsforever said:

It’s obvious this is a by-product of these girls all writing over Jack instrumentals and compositional ideas. If they’re all working with a producer who has a very specific style and writing their melodies to instrumental lines he has composed, it’s obvious why there is similarities between the end products. “Who copied who” conversations are fruitless and miss the point entirely.

Kinda this. I dont think any of the girls copied the other. It's just bcuz they all worked with Jack around the same time for these projects so he couldnt really separate the sounds ..

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starchild

• VeniceBeach

• Squall

• NOW

the issue is that Lorde's vocal tone does not suit this type of music tbh. She needs more experimental and exciting instrumentations to carry her voice otherwise when it is super stripped it kind of becomes an annoying vocal tone / unpleasant. She sounds like she is complaining instead of singing in a way :rip: 

20 hours ago, Letemtalk said:

People think this was the first time there have been some strong similarities.

This one was so obvious.

Liability chords : Key = Db
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/lorde/liability-chords-1960349

Chords in verse (intro is similar):

Db-Fm-Bbm-Fm-Gb-Bbm-Ebm-Ab
In numeric form
I-iii-vi-iii-IV-vi-ii-V

The Greatest chords : Key = F
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/lana-del-rey/the-greatest-chords-2801963

Chords in verse:
F-Am/E-Dm-G*-A*-Bb-Dm/A-Gm-E*
Refer to web page, in this case G*, A*, E* are single bass transition notes (optional)
In numeric form
I-iii-vi-[ii-iii]-IV-vi-ii-[vii]

Most people with minimal music knowledge don't think "Liability" &"The Greatest" and "Green Light" & "gold rush" sound similar.

No one's talking about similar song structures...

Even people with no music knowledge who are 50% deaf can tell how similar they are. That's the issue here..

2 hours ago, skyandground said:

Most people with minimal music knowledge don't think "Liability" &"The Greatest" and "Green Light" & "gold rush" sound similar.

No one's talking about similar song structures...

Even people with no music knowledge who are 50% deaf can tell how similar they are. That's the issue here..

Just listen to the chords in the verses, not the intro, not the production, listen to the chord progression.

Of course the progression in The Greatest sounds like the progression in Liability - how can you not hear it?

Green Light and Gold Rush are such an easy mash up because they are in the same key and have the same key/mode change.

On 7/21/2021 at 11:53 PM, Dark Horse said:

melodrama was honestly just overhyped. but lorde was always seen as a lana rip off, esp circa de 2013 on tumblr.

and lately she's been pulling a lot from carly rae jepsen since melodrama

nobody outside of pop music forums has ever heard a song from carly rae jepsen aside from call me maybe

On 7/22/2021 at 1:00 AM, LeMésTragique said:

I'm a dragon, you're a *****
Don't even know what you're good for
Mimicking me's a ****ing bore
To me, but babe

She SAW it :bloo:

Omg HAHA, LANA RIPS HER APART.

Anw, Lorde needs to drop this and does more of the Green Light / No Better / 400 Lux sound.

4 hours ago, Isaac19709 said:

nobody outside of pop music forums has ever heard a song from carly rae jepsen aside from call me maybe

lorde has :sistrens:

On 7/21/2021 at 11:46 AM, Squall said:

No ATRL and Twitter just need to stop acting like Lana invented music, this woman is boring af, Lorde isn’t.

Tea. It’s a very homosexual stan view point. Most people don’t listen to Lana and therefore have no idea what wild at heart or whatever even sounds like :skull:

36 minutes ago, konaa said:

Tea. It’s a very homosexual stan view point. Most people don’t listen to Lana and therefore have no idea what wild at heart or whatever even sounds like :skull:

“Stoned at the Nail Salon” might be one of Lorde’s most adventurous tracks yet, while also being one of her most understated. She’s speaking to her own feelings of dread and worry without generalizing it to a generation, a more open introspection of the singer set over an indie folk pop beat and soothing bass reminiscent of Lana Del Rey and Clairo at the same time.

https://vmagazine.com/article/vs-new-music-round-up-36/

If Lorde’s sophomore record Melodrama relished in the feeling of being young and beautiful, in spite of overwhelming heartbreak, “Stoned At The Nail Salon”, from next month’s Solar Power, takes an inverted approach, luxuriating in the contentment that comes with getting older. Emotionally and sonically of a piece with Lana Del Rey’s “Wild At Heart”, another recent Jack Antonoff production, it’s a mature and endearingly low-key piece. — SD

https://www.thefader.com/2021/07/22/best-new-songs-playlist-lorde-tinashe-est-gee-proc-fiskal/

“My hot blood’s been burning for so many summers now, it’s time to cool it down,” she sings atop a muted chord progression that bears a striking resemblance to Lana Del Rey’s “Wild at Heart,” another recent Jack Antonoff production.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/23/arts/music/playlist-lil-nas-x-camila-cabello.html

After all, Jack has a long history of working with both Lana and Lorde. However, on the heels of recent claims about Lorde's "Solar Power" title track sounding a lot like George Michael's "Freedom '90" — despite receiving his estate's blessing — it seems like Lana fans are also now taking to Twitter to voice their displeasure and accuse Jack of "recycling" his melodies.

"Same key and all," as one fan said alongside a side-by-side comparison of the two songs. "He really didn't even try I hate him so much."

https://www.papermag.com/lorde-jack-antonoff-recycle-lana-2653900539.html

One observant Twitter user made a not-so-subtle video comparing Lana Del Rey’s “Wild at Heart,” a Chemtrails Over The Country Club song that Antonoff co-wrote, with a section of Lorde’s new song, sending some fans into a frenzy.

This observation led other Twitter users to share their own beliefs that not only did Lorde’s new song sound similar to other songs, but that a lot of the projects Antonoff produced were strikingly similar. One user called Antonoff the “eco-friendly king” for seemingly “recycling” some of his songs.

https://www.elitedaily.com/entertainment/lorde-lana-del-rey-jack-antanoff-stoned-nail-salon-wild-heart

But her swings at profundity fall short—she is stoned, after all—and the understated production feels eerily reminiscent of another Jack Antonoff joint, Lana Del Rey’s Chemtrails Over the Country Club.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/lorde-stoned-at-the-nail-salon/

Jack Antonoff has built quite the career for himself between his work with Fun and Bleachers. In recent years, though, he has become perhaps best known for his production and songwriting work, specifically with high-profile collaborators like Taylor Swift, Lana Del Rey, Clairo, and Lorde. Lorde’s latest single, “Stoned At The Nail Salon,” is another collaboration between her and Antonoff, and some observant fans noticed it sounds like something they’ve heard before.

https://uproxx.com/pop/jack-antonoff-lorde-jokes-sound-the-same/

On 7/22/2021 at 12:46 AM, bluebirdsforever said:

It’s obvious this is a by-product of these girls all writing over Jack instrumentals and compositional ideas. If they’re all working with a producer who has a very specific style and writing their melodies to instrumental lines he has composed, it’s obvious why there is similarities between the end products. “Who copied who” conversations are fruitless and miss the point entirely.

This, the WAH/SATNS similarity is the first two notes in the chorus, which both the instrumentals’ chords sound very good with it and it’s only natural to gravitate to them.

I think that it also has to do with this type of music not being something the pop stand usually listen too and them making a big mess because they think is alike, while anyone with a mild musical ear would find the same thing in most pop and r&b records out now.

it is so unfair to bitch about jack like lorde has no saying in how the song is composed :ahh:

On 7/21/2021 at 8:08 PM, Slayn said:

I don't know how to feel, because the songs are great, it's just getting a little repetitive. And Lorde seems to be getting the short end of the stick here because she was the last one to release...

exactly

On 7/23/2021 at 11:35 AM, Letemtalk said:

Just listen to the chords in the verses, not the intro, not the production, listen to the chord progression.

Of course the progression in The Greatest sounds like the progression in Liability - how can you not hear it?

Green Light and Gold Rush are such an easy mash up because they are in the same key and have the same key/mode change.

wow this is so beautiful :jonny2:

aliciavikanders
On 7/22/2021 at 1:30 AM, Ice Cream Skies said:

Then why are Clairo and Lorde completely replicating Chemtrails Over the Country Club?

I’ll wait. 

:deadbanana4:

A lot of you in this thread need to get your ears checked. 

I kind of agree. If she released this stripped down music a few years ago would've worked, but her taking 5 years break and then following NFR, Folklore etc. might not work in her favor. 

I think the problem is Lorde should have led this sound in.

Her dog dying and delaying the album release has really made this material already sound aged. 

4 minutes ago, Wonderland said:

I think the problem is Lorde should have led this sound in.

Her dog dying and delaying the album release has really made this material already sound aged. 

She did the demos for Solar Power and Stoned at the Nail Salon in early/mid 2019 and worked with Jack on them in July of that year. Her dog died a few months later, but by early 2020 she had started again, so it was a few months break at the most. Jack even made a trip to New Zealand in 2020 before lockdown.

But I think Covid really delayed things the most. It's only been in the last 1-2 months she has been able to return to the US.

She was able to do a lot of things in New Zealand, such as recording music videos and I'm wondering if the self written songs she did were written during that period. In hindsight, releasing earlier would have been much better, even with fewer songs if one or two weren't ready.

Last Boy on Earth

I didn’t know Lorde and Lana stan fights were so messy and entertaining, the girls are fighting :rip:

Anyways Lorde is one of my favourite artists but her latest songs ain’t just given what was supposed to gave 

idc if it’s a ripoff because of jack antonoff or whatever. but to me this new lorde direction is the most uninteresting **** i’ve heard in years. if the rest of the album is like the singles just keep it. 

not saying it’s bad. just plain ass boring.