When exactly did Billie become OVER?

Post Malone

On 7/21/2021 at 10:59 AM, Tm4074 said:

She's not an outsider anymore, simple as that.  She swept the GRAMMYs, had the best selling album of 2019, overwhelming critical praise, she appeared at every industry PR event, and her face was on every industry publication (Rolling Stone, Billboard, Vogue, etc. etc.) hyping her up for the past two years.  She is by definition part of the industry machine now, essentially abandoning her original image of "depressed, outsider teen making music in my bedroom with my brother" which leads one to believe her entire image was manufactured by the corporate suits since the beginning.  Of course those who understand marketing/PR already understood this but her core base bought that narrative sold to them as authentic to Billie.  Billie's current underperformance is reflective of her base rejecting the drastic image change and questioning her authenticity as an artist.

Billie isn't the best singer, doesn't have the most distinctive voice, and her brother takes the lead role with songwriting & production.  Billie is more so a muse for Finneas at this point and that's the problem.  If Billie doesn't have her distinctive image to fall back on she really doesn't have much going for her.  This is what happens when you rely too much on style opposed to substance.  It may work once or twice but it won't last forever and we can see the detrimental effects of that marketing strategy now.  

All of this!!!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Insanity

• Pans Labyrinth

• stevyy

• Post Malone

Definitely Lost Cause + the Billie is racist thing. I mean, even Your Power raked 6M streams first day and a Top 10 debut, it's just that people was expecting a bop from her.

everythingIwanted

This is her Speak Now. Underperforming singles left and right with massive album units and it will earn cult classic status in the long run 

39C05AAC-34D7-4AC7-9A46-AB977918B806.thu

Edited by everythingIwanted
1 minute ago, everythingIwanted said:

This is her Speak Now. Underperforming singles left and right with massive album units and it will earn cult classic status in the long run 

Good luck booking them massive album units you speak of

everythingIwanted
3 minutes ago, Post Malone said:

massive albums in 2021 is like 2x platinum. I have faith in Fadllie 

1 hour ago, Post Malone said:

This album will break records next week and go #1 in more countries than most ATRL favs ever have

1 minute ago, alestevens said:

This album will break records next week and go #1 in more countries than most ATRL favs ever have

BookmarkedT. 

• #FreeBritney Activist

When the internet got bored. They'll kiss her ass if the rest of the album stomps or they hear the full tracklist in order so everything flows better. I have a feeling the album will sound better played through.

i don’t know the future and neither do you camila stan

ariana-is-OVER-i-fear.thumb.gif.41ec1acc

it baffles me that you guys expect songs like my future and your power (and even lost cause to some extent) to be megas hits. they're not gp-friendly, in fact, they are the very opposite.the fact that she manages to chart with songs like those in the top 10 shows how much power she has.

you guys just wanna take her down for whatever reason and then you'll love to see it when she makes her comeback

I think her image and sound only lend themselves for a one-off event. It's a sound and image that is so specific that it is impossible to reinvent herself. But that is what the GP expects you to. Bad Guy was her big hit and the other songs did well on the hype from that. 

Olivia Rodrigo doing well was the final nail in the coffin. Teenagers found a more appealing alternative, and it was time to cancel Billie. Billie would not have been cancelled if her music was good. The reasons for cancelling her are arbitrary. The GP cancelled her because they wanted to cancel her, not because what she did was cancel-worthy. The cancelling preceded the cancel-worthy events.

Wow at the OP :deadbanana4:

I didn’t realize how big of a BOMB that collab she did with Rosalia was :rip:

But anyways, all these boring singles combined with Olivia’s presence is the culprit imo.