• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheDreamer

• Kukai

• Just Feel It

• VeniceBeach

Listened to the first 10 seconds got bored and turned it off. Does it get better?

It's not a bad song. I do agree it's too minimalistic and Wild-at-Heart sounding to be a great standalone track. But whatever. There's 8 more songs we haven't heard yet (well, maybe less if you heard the leaks), and Solar Power is great. 

47 minutes ago, Insanity said:

Listened to the first 10 seconds got bored and turned it off. Does it get better?

Each second is progressively more boring than the one before, imagine when you start the third minute.

since  i saw ppl comparing it to wild at heart i cant get that off my mind :rip: i think i slightly prefer solar power anyways.

4 minutes ago, TrueBlood said:

Each second is progressively more boring than the one before, imagine when you start the third minute.

:rip:

5 minutes ago, TrueBlood said:

i would imagine a song about being stoned at a nail saloon would be upbeat lol

1 minute ago, Insanity said:

i would imagine a song about being stoned at a nail saloon would be upbeat lol

Not in Jack's world. The lyrics are quite nice tho, I'd suggest you going to Genius and read them as a poem.

I’ve defended Jack’s vocal production in the past (even on songs like This Is Me Trying) but it severely harms this song I think because it has no percussion, so this ballad that should be grand and emotional ends up feeling flat and unexpressive.

This has really grown on me. It's giving me a whole quarter life crisis :weeps: 

3 hours ago, Insanity said:

No, I got a notification on my phone and I struggled to listen more than 1 minute. I skipped to middle and end and it's basically a cheap Lana Del Rey imitation. Absolute failure. At least Wild at Heart was upbeat at the end and 100x better.

Poor Lana clones, they think they are doing something good (tribute?) but Lana already did everything better with a more mature sound :cm:

15 minutes ago, GrimGod said:

No, I got a notification on my phone and I struggled to listen more than 1 minute. I skipped to middle and end and it's basically a cheap Lana Del Rey imitation. Absolute failure. At least Wild at Heart was upbeat at the end and 100x better.

Poor Lana clones, they think they are doing something good (tribute?) but Lana already did everything better with a more mature sound :cm:

Why come in here then? There’s a Lana base somewhere else if you want to talk about her.

20 minutes ago, GrimGod said:

Gurl, go away. The same melody is Jack's fault anyways 

21 minutes ago, GrimGod said:

This song has more lyrical depth to it than 98% of Lana songs but you are entitled to your wrong opinion. Your post is definitely flamebait so I suggest you stop now and go back to the Lana base. 

1 minute ago, Kukai said:

This song has more lyrical depth to it than 98% of Lana songs but you are entitled to your wrong opinion. Your post is definitely flamebait so I suggest you stop now and go back to the Lana base. 

Critics disagree, Stoned got zero critical acclaim so far, and yet you here again with your "lyrical depth", when no one is agreeing with you. :cm:

15 minutes ago, VeniceBeach said:

Critics disagree, Stoned got zero critical acclaim so far, and yet you here again with your "lyrical depth", when no one is agreeing with you. :cm:

I agree with them that you should stop

Let's ignore this topic with incorrect opinions from both sides and look at the stats:

“Stoned at the Nail Salon” — Spotify Update:

Partial: 780,427 

Day 1: 1,338,009

Day 2: 1,298,693

Total: 3,417,129

Very stable, if Lorde got push like Cam*la, she would get more streams than her :gaygacat1:

11 minutes ago, VeniceBeach said:

How do you measure acclaim for a single? Tell me sis :rip: I’ve read a couple of articles that have drawn comparisons to Lana from the production and that seems to be the only major thing marring those reviews. I’ve read some really positive coverage as well from the likes of Rolling Stones praising the songwriting especially. Just because there is a legion of Lana fans on here saying otherwise doesn’t mean I’ll change my stance on this. 

I’m just listening to Wild at Heart’s lyrics again and the cliched lyrics are not for me. Just hearing her mention Calabasas alone :rip: The wild at heart trope is overdone and overused in popular culture too. I can go on and dissect many of Lana’s lyrics but that’s not the point. You can criticise the production (which is really Jack’s fault) of Stoned but to come for its lyrics is questionable. This is some of Lorde’s most mature and revelatory writing so far.

6 minutes ago, Kukai said:

How do you measure acclaim for a single? Tell me sis :rip: I’ve read a couple of articles that have drawn comparisons to Lana from the production and that seems to be the only major thing marring those reviews. I’ve read some really positive coverage as well from the likes of Rolling Stones praising the songwriting especially. Just because there is a legion of Lana fans on here saying otherwise doesn’t mean I’ll change my stance on this. 

I’m just listening to Wild at Heart’s lyrics again and the cliched lyrics are not for me. Just hearing her mention Calabasas alone :rip: The wild at heart trope is overdone and overused in popular culture too. I can go on and dissect many of Lana’s lyrics but that’s not the point. You can criticise the production (which is really Jack’s fault) of Stoned but to come for its lyrics is questionable. This is some of Lorde’s most mature and revelatory writing so far.

Lyrics are strong, but saying they are better than 98% of Lana Del Rey's songs is a total reach, she is very acclaimed, even more than Lorde, her lyrics are praised by many legends and critics. Just because you think otherwise doesn't mean it's a fact :rip: Maybe you lived under a rock when Pitchfork named Lana the next best American songwriter or LA Times called her the best lyricist of our time and so on, but who knows
ab6761610000e5ebc4902f080d3620b3e6da80c3
Anyways...
OT: a really nice ballad from miss Ella :jamming:

8 minutes ago, VeniceBeach said:

Lyrics are strong, but saying they are better than 98% of Lana Del Rey's songs is a total reach, she is very acclaimed, even more than Lorde, her lyrics are praised by many legends and critics. Just because you think otherwise doesn't mean it's a fact :rip: Maybe you lived under a rock when Pitchfork named Lana the next best American songwriter or LA Times called her the best lyricist of our time and so on, but who knows
ab6761610000e5ebc4902f080d3620b3e6da80c3
Anyways...
OT: a really nice ballad from miss Ella :jamming:

Gurl let’s just ban Lana’s name from here because we’re really never going to see eye to eye on this. And there are definitely better writers outside of the zeitgeist who can write better than both Ella and Lana so I wouldn’t take those PR’d articles seriously :deadbanana: I do however think Happiness is a butterfly is one of the best songs lyrically made. 

Chile I’m annoyed this controversy overshadowed this song’s potential. 

Edited by Kukai

Spoiler

Sure honey, it's hard to be a stan of both women. When Lana gets attacked in Lorde's threads, I become defensive of her, and when Lorde is trashed in Lana's threads, it's the other way around
MqeY6ML.thumb.png.9f1fe9237500980e06277eb3fca347c8.thumb.png.dcef70e247746d535a15d2efcc73cfc9.pngab6761610000e5ebc4902f080d3620b3e6da80c3

OT: "Stoned at the Nail Salon" is a song by New Zealand singer-songwriter Lorde.