WizKid f/ Tems - “Essence"

nooniebao

It's Black Folks song of the summer. Coming to SMASH. 

This has been an underground hit for a while.. it's coming though :heart:

had a radio impcact date last week and #23 on AM US, hot 100 entry incoming

26 minutes ago, EarStyle said:

It's Black Folks song of the summer. Coming to SMASH. 

Amen! 

this has been such a bop and it's all over tiktok :alexz:

I’m shocked this is the song taking off from Wizkid’s last album :deadbanana: 

Tems could really be huge. Her tone and music is such a vibe. Need more alte artists to take off now… hopefully Amaarae is next 

What’s the story behind this? It’s All of a sudden poppin out on my Twitter tl from everywhere

25 minutes ago, Monky_2405 said:

What’s the story behind this? It’s All of a sudden poppin out on my Twitter tl from everywhere

He’s had a pretty organic rise in the US over the course of several years, the album that Essence is from was well received. This just feels like a case of strong word of mouth/organic push to me? If it’s gone viral on TikTok or something I wouldn’t know cause I’m not on that app often.

Shocked that this is the first song by Nigerian artists to enter the Hot 100? Thought he had multiple entries by now. Glad to see it taking off..I definitely heard this on tiktok first but over the last few weeks it seemed to really take off everywhere

I really didnt expect to see a thread about this bop on atrl but im pleasantly surprised! I am so happy it's blowing up, it's such a bop! I also liked Blessed from his album. Tems is very talented.