• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J-esper

• rta1913

• The Next Day

• computer.boy

they've had a few cute songs here and there over the years but this album wasn't it nnnn

the production is alright on a few songs but the vocals and lyrics drag it down

Sounds like a whole album full of demos and leftovers... I don't know what to think about it yet... but my least favorite album for now :(

Edited by mrmarrero

My reaction in short:

I'm sure my opinion will soften over time, cause I'm glad they are stepping out of their comfort zone. But right now this album is a hot mess compared to their previous ones, which can be a good and bad thing.

Let's just get one thing out of the way: What am I supposed to get out of this album? Is it more of a story of getting over depression? More like a vibe what it feels to live with it? What is the goal here, cause honestly I don't get it. The sequencing is ****ing tragic. FY and Cutthroat are kinda iconic, whatever, but what is this ****ery to follow Cutthroat with NTFTP? Dull Knives, one of the darkest songs they ever did and then FY? I need explanations why they chose to make the biggest sonically mess they could. The transition from Lonely to Wrecked is just hilarious. There's no smooth flow.

I know it's more about the lyrics but oh ****, it's hard to concentrate on some of these offensively bad lyrics like on Monday and #1 (the latter is a great contender for one of the worst songs I've ever heard). The only thing that would end me right now would if they release a Lorde remix of NTFTP or #1, cause I was expecting Dan to sing about his mood ring any second.

I think there's a lot to work with here and the record will grow on people. At least it's the first ID record that you cannot truly call boring, cause there's a LOT happening. But Monday, #1 and NTFTP are just unredeemable and that I feel about songs like this has not happened to me with an ID album before.

1 hour ago, The Next Day said:

My reaction in short:

I'm sure my opinion will soften over time, cause I'm glad they are stepping out of their comfort zone. But right now this album is a hot mess compared to their previous ones, which can be a good and bad thing.

Let's just get one thing out of the way: What am I supposed to get out of this album? Is it more of a story of getting over depression? More like a vibe what it feels to live with it? What is the goal here, cause honestly I don't get it. The sequencing is ****ing tragic. FY and Cutthroat are kinda iconic, whatever, but what is this ****ery to follow Cutthroat with NTFTP? Dull Knives, one of the darkest songs they ever did and then FY? I need explanations why they chose to make the biggest sonically mess they could. The transition from Lonely to Wrecked is just hilarious. There's no smooth flow.

I know it's more about the lyrics but oh ****, it's hard to concentrate on some of these offensively bad lyrics like on Monday and #1 (the latter is a great contender for one of the worst songs I've ever heard). The only thing that would end me right now would if they release a Lorde remix of NTFTP or #1, cause I was expecting Dan to sing about his mood ring any second.

I think there's a lot to work with here and the record will grow on people. At least it's the first ID record that you cannot truly call boring, cause there's a LOT happening. But Monday, #1 and NTFTP are just unredeemable and that I feel about songs like this has not happened to me with an ID album before.

Overall I agree, especially about the weaker tracks

• #FreeBritney Activist

meehhhh half of the album is great but the rest forgettable, Follow You is the safest song as a single :deadbanana2: why they did choose as single, I get Cutthroat is not for everyone but ok.

I liked:

- My Life

- Wrecked

- Monday 

- Giants

- Dull Knives

- Cutthroat

The rest is either bad or tooo much positive vibes for me lol

My Life could be their best opening song so far and I like how Lonely kinda continues the vibe of ML, but Wrecked is so out of place. It's going from 100 to 0 too quick without explanation. And then the more feel-good songs Monday and #1 right after, this is a rollercoaster of moods and I don't get it. If this is a concept album about depression and mood swings then they did a pretty bad job at communicating that artistically.

8 minutes ago, The Next Day said:

My Life could be their best opening song so far and I like how Lonely kinda continues the vibe of ML, but Wrecked is so out of place. It's going from 100 to 0 too quick without explanation. And then the more feel-good songs Monday and #1 right after, this is a rollercoaster of moods and I don't get it. If this is a concept album about depression and mood swings then they did a pretty bad job at communicating that artistically.

Yeah I agree, and then later on the album you have Dull Knives and Cuttroath sandwitching Follow You, it's so all over the place

I hope Vol 2 will follow in like 5 to 6 months, if this rollercoaster kind of thing is what they are after this era, I need it to be over with

Woman-throws-table-catches-chair.gif

12 minutes ago, J-esper said:

Yeah I agree, and then later on the album you have Dull Knives and Cuttroath sandwitching Follow You, it's so all over the place

It's also a kii how It's Ok is followed by Dull Knives, like what in the world?... The way they ordered the tracks it's like they wanted to switch from happy to depressed/angry with at least every second song. It ruins the flow of the album and since I don't see an album narrative that's strong enough to explain these rapid changes I really hate it.

15 minutes ago, J-esper said:

I hope Vol 2 will follow in like 5 to 6 months, if this rollercoaster kind of thing is what they are after this era, I need it to be over with

But first they have to explain what this Act 1 mess is all about cause I know they would like to drop Act 2 without any explanation except "It's a continuation of Act 1" and leave us in the dark again. They wanted to be all artsy with this so they better OWN IT!

2 minutes ago, The Next Day said:

It's also a kii how It's Ok is followed by Dull Knives, like what in the world?... The way they ordered the tracks it's like they wanted to switch from happy to depressed/angry with at least every second song. It ruins the flow of the album and since I don't see an album narrative that's strong enough to explain these rapid changes I really hate it.

But first they have to explain what this Act 1 mess is all about cause I know they would like to drop Act 2 without any explanation except "It's a continuation of Act 1" and leave us in the dark again. They wanted to be all artsy with this so they better OWN IT!

Interscope needs to force Dan to do an in dept album tracklist interview

Y’all scaring g me with yalls reactions :dies:

these skng titles are kind of funny. No time for toxic ppl sounds like a kii :dies:

I’ve only listened once but it’s definitely their worst album. I’ve either been obsessed with or at least enjoyed all of their other albums but this one is just a bit mediocre apart from Lonely and Wrecked, the latter of which is one of their best songs and deserves to be a huge top 5 hit. 

I love most of the songs from the album. And I'm completely sure that if it was recorded by anybody else it'd be praised by critics.

Yes after listening a few times, this is my least fave album from them. The top three is Wrecked, Lonely and Follow You.

The highlights were released before as singles, so the rest sounds super disappointing. Also I don't understand why they pushed "Monday" on playlists when "Lonely" was there.

I am also debating whether I like or I hate NTFTP. Like it's a catchy melody but the lyrics are too positive that make me cringe? Ugh I actually loved 'Origins' so I am disappointed on this. I'd say it's another 'Smoke + Mirrors' before a new 'Evolve' but 'S+M' was actually good and a strong album.

We'll see if we actually get Act 2. Hopefully it's a bit better. Although they announced a tour starting on February branded Mercury Tour so if Act 2 is going to be part of the tour, they'd have to release the album by January and I don't think they'll do that... although if "Follow You" and "Wrecked" didn't become hits, nothing else will.

Act 2 lead coming in November :eli:

√ó
√ó