Billboard: Top 25 Biggest Hits This Week From The 80s

Hector

What are the biggest hits this week that were released in the '80s?

Again, here are the top 25 based on the Hot 100's formula for sales and streams in the week ending May 27 and all-format airplay in the week ending May 30.

Top 25 Biggest Songs This Week From the '80s
1, "Don't Stop Believin'," Journey
2, "Another One Bites the Dust," Queen
3, "Livin' On a Prayer," Bon Jovi
4, "Sweet Child O' Mine," Guns N' Roses
5, "Africa," Toto
6, "Take On Me," a-ha
7, "Free Fallin'," Tom Petty
8, "In the Air Tonight," Phil Collins
9, "Every Breath You Take," The Police

10, "Billie Jean," Michael Jackson
11, "Eye of the Tiger," Survivor
12, "Pour Some Sugar on Me," Def Leppard
13, "You Shook Me All Night Long," AC/DC
14, "Back in Black," AC/DC
15, "Everybody Wants to Rule the World," Tears for Fears
16, "Summer of '69," Bryan Adams
17, "Under Pressure," Queen & David Bowie
18, "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)," Eurythmics
19, "Your Love," The Outfield

20, "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)," Whitney Houston
21, "You Give Love a Bad Name," Bon Jovi
22, "Don't You (Forget About Me)," Simple Minds
23, "Jack & Diane," John Cougar
24, "Jessie's Girl," Rick Springfield
25, "I Love Rock 'N' Roll," Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

Perhaps unsurprisingly, given its resurgence over the years by syncs in The Sopranos, Glee and more, Journey's "Don't Stop Believin' " is the week's top '80s song, with 13 million in radio audience, 6.4 million U.S. streams and 1,300 sold. To compare, Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirt" topped the '90s tally in March with 4.3 million in airplay audience, 3.7 million streams and 600 sold.

Notably, the '80s and '90s recaps are led by songs that didn't hit No. 1 on the Hot 100, although each reached the top 10. "Don't Stop Believin' " peaked at No. 9 in 1981 (while the Glee Cast took its cover to No. 4 in 2009) and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" hit No. 6 in 1992.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/chart-beat/9585087/biggest-80s-hits-ask-billboard/

Whitney,  Annie Lennox, and Joan Jett only females represented. 

7 minutes ago, SimpleKindofLife said:

Every single song on that list is a classic:deadbanana:

i was confused at first because “Don’t Stop Believing” didn’t hit #1 on the Hot 10, but it’s just compiling what songs that were released in the 80s that were most popular the past 7 days, it’s not surprising that these are all cassics

9 minutes ago, Sinister said:

i was confused at first because “Don’t Stop Believing” didn’t hit #1 on the Hot 10, but it’s just compiling what songs that were released in the 80s that were most popular the past 7 days, it’s not surprising that these are all cassics

Oh **** I misread the title

27 minutes ago, SimpleKindofLife said:

Every single song on that list is a classic:deadbanana:

Right!

only two women wow

Edited by getinthezone

The misogyny of it all :rip:

Streaming is really showing people love listen to male voice more. Back in the day and modern time.

I blame the straight for this mess. 

i remember this era.  It was really exciting when Pour Some Sugar On Me eventually hit #1.  Hairbands were ruling.

the Journey song for me is one of the worst songs ever. they actually had better and more successful songs . also only 3 female and 2 black artists on the list . the actual charts back then had better music than what is overplayed on the oldie stations today that spam these songs.

I also misread the title and thought this was Hot 100 from 25 years ago. As I was going down the list I couldn't stop saying "damn" thinking there were soooo many massive classics on the chart during that particular week. Though at some point around #15 I thought this simply couldn't be possible... 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.