The Grad School Lounge

R.E.M.

Tomorrow is the day I start. I'm so excited and nervous. :jonny5:

On 1/4/2022 at 8:58 PM, R.E.M. said:

2021 offered so many blessings (published papers, got my BSc, fellowships/research assistantships, started my MA) and I feel like 2022 is going to be really scary. I'm applying to clinical psychology (PhD) next Fall and most programs accept between 5-11 students.

I'm trying not to freak out too much, but I need to start preparing applications (i.e., apply for funding, finding supervisors, drafting SoPs for each school, etc.) this summer. I've been anxious about this since last spring but the anxiety is worsening right now.

My coworker is working on applying PhD clinical psychology programs for the fall too, and I can't imagine how much regarding research experience and such you need to apply to those programs. It takes a lot of effort and dedication.

Your anxiety is understandable, there are a lot of factors and things to do coming up, and along with that, you're also doing an MA, which is also work on top of it. Knowing what you'll have to do in the summer, maybe write it all down, but break it down into sections and smaller/manageable parts over time, knowing you can focus one at a time once summer starts, even if it's a small section every other day during a week or a few weeks, depending on what you have to do and your time frame. You've made it so far to even get this far that you should be proud no matter how it all turns out. You put in a lot of work, and it'll come to fruition because of all your hard work.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bloo

• R.E.M.

• Euterpe

• cloudbusting

Top Posters In This Topic

My Masters has been going so well for me, way better than my Bachelor actually :jonny: I just keep freaking out about the thought of being done... like, then what? I actually really like my student time but I'm also ready to move on and earn some money, I also don't like researching all that much so I don't want to continue into academics after this. It's been kind of stressing me out lately but let me just focus on getting this degree first. I hope everyone in here is doing well with their studies :heart:

really grateful that my advisor stated that even if I don’t receive the GRFP this year, she was just given funding that will allow her to personally fund me for 5 years so I won’t have to TA for traditional lectures/labs either way :flower:

On 1/4/2022 at 6:58 PM, R.E.M. said:

2021 offered so many blessings (published papers, got my BSc, fellowships/research assistantships, started my MA) and I feel like 2022 is going to be really scary. I'm applying to clinical psychology (PhD) next Fall and most programs accept between 5-11 students.

I'm trying not to freak out too much, but I need to start preparing applications (i.e., apply for funding, finding supervisors, drafting SoPs for each school, etc.) this summer. I've been anxious about this since last spring but the anxiety is worsening right now.

when applying for a PhD the best advice I can give you is to find 3 of the best people who can speak on your behalf in 3 different ways. (1) How you are as a student in a learning setting (2) How you are as a student in a research setting (3) How you are as a person in a generalized sense. Your letters of rec, personal statement/SoP, and your connection to the lab and/or PI is what’s crucial when getting into a program. I knew someone who applied with little research experience but had all the crucial pieces I mentioned and got accepted over someone who went to a top tier school, had multiple research publications, and spoke/presented at more than a handful of conferences. They want to make sure you’re going to be willing to act as an apprentice to your craft and be willing to accept failure and hurdles as a way of learning how to become a great researcher in academia.

i wish you the best of luck, if you need any tips/guidance just message me. :heart2:

7 hours ago, Euterpe said:

Tomorrow is the day I start. I'm so excited and nervous. :jonny5:

My coworker is working on applying PhD clinical psychology programs for the fall too, and I can't imagine how much regarding research experience and such you need to apply to those programs. It takes a lot of effort and dedication.

Your anxiety is understandable, there are a lot of factors and things to do coming up, and along with that, you're also doing an MA, which is also work on top of it. Knowing what you'll have to do in the summer, maybe write it all down, but break it down into sections and smaller/manageable parts over time, knowing you can focus one at a time once summer starts, even if it's a small section every other day during a week or a few weeks, depending on what you have to do and your time frame. You've made it so far to even get this far that you should be proud no matter how it all turns out. You put in a lot of work, and it'll come to fruition because of all your hard work.

1 hour ago, HausofNick said:

when applying for a PhD the best advice I can give you is to find 3 of the best people who can speak on your behalf in 3 different ways. (1) How you are as a student in a learning setting (2) How you are as a student in a research setting (3) How you are as a person in a generalized sense. Your letters of rec, personal statement/SoP, and your connection to the lab and/or PI is what’s crucial when getting into a program. I knew someone who applied with little research experience but had all the crucial pieces I mentioned and got accepted over someone who went to a top tier school, had multiple research publications, and spoke/presented at more than a handful of conferences. They want to make sure you’re going to be willing to act as an apprentice to your craft and be willing to accept failure and hurdles as a way of learning how to become a great researcher in academia.

i wish you the best of luck, if you need any tips/guidance just message me. :heart2:

thank you both so much for the advice and insight. I really needed to hear it because a ***** is OVERWHELMED, but y'all have been so kind and supportive :heart2: I feel like nobody in my family gets how gruelling grad school can be so my complaints often fall on deaf ears (i.e., being told "you'll be fine you're smart"). There are so many hurdles to overcome as a prospective PhD it's really putting into perspective how easy I had it when applying for my MA :deadbanana4:

Have a great semester everyone. :clap3:

On 1/9/2022 at 9:48 PM, Devin said:

Have a great semester everyone. :clap3:

thank you :jonny5:

wishing everyone continued success.

Starting my last semester on Tuesday (for my Masters in Occupational Therapy) and god reading all my syllabuses today made me already feel like I was far behind on the work :rip:

On 6/4/2021 at 12:54 PM, wolfaire said:

I'm anxiously waiting for my LoA! If things go as planned, I'll start spring next year. Pray for me sistren :jonny4:

I’m going to start my Masters in February! Well, subject to Miss Rona’s approval I guess💀

Y’all would be good. Glad them days are over.

starting my new internship tomorrow :jonny6:

gonna be helping a local museum with their NAGPRA grant and removing funerary objects from their collection for repatriation. not excited for that commute, but the work will be worth it

hope y’all are off to a good start for the semester