The Grad School Lounge

R.E.M.

14 hours ago, Euterpe said:

Congratulations! My field director’s outreach for my field placement/internship next year starts the first week of September, and the process is nerve wracking!

My next course starts Monday, and I always feel intimidated about the work  when classes start coming up.

Congratulations to her! That’s a feat!:clap3:

totally feel you on the nerves, but they’ll probably subside a bit once you get yourself into a good groove with everything! best of luck

13 hours ago, Smarticle said:

How do yall get 3 reference letters :cries:

giphy.thumb.gif.8ae96fe70cc897405c7b1016

everyone’s experience is different, but I’m in a small program at not a huge school so I work very closely with the same handful of people which works well for that. it’s less awkward to ask + they have a more solid understanding of my strengths and where I can improve. 

im not saying be a total asskisser, but being polite and reliable is a good way to get people to be willing not only to write a letter, but to write a good one. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bloo

• R.E.M.

• Euterpe

• cloudbusting

Top Posters In This Topic

BA in English literature/ linguistics, PGCE Secondary Education and now I'm studying for my MSc. Psychology. I'm doing my MSc. part time across two years and just feel exhausted at the thought of going into my second year. I think it's because I've always been someone who just wants to move onto the next thing and I'm ready to graduate from it. I've enjoyed studying a completely new subject though

How y'all feeling about the new semester? I'm kinda worried with COVID :rip: Our classes won't be remote this year and our school refuses to enforce a vaccine mandate. 

• ATRL Moderator
10 minutes ago, R.E.M. said:

How y'all feeling about the new semester? I'm kinda worried with COVID :rip: Our classes won't be remote this year and our school refuses to enforce a vaccine mandate. 

I’m thankful I don’t have classes anymore (I’m ABD at this point) and I’m not a TA. So my life hasn’t changed since the start of the semester expect for the lunch room being more occupied. I, too, am frustrated with my university for not mandating the vaccine even though they mandated the flu vaccine last year. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 8:43 AM, cloudbusting said:

totally feel you on the nerves, but they’ll probably subside a bit once you get yourself into a good groove with everything! best of luck

A director of a program was supposed to call me this week since the place has a slot but I haven't heard anything yet. It makes me nervous. :dancehall:

On 9/9/2021 at 11:40 AM, Euterpe said:

A director of a program was supposed to call me this week since the place has a slot but I haven't heard anything yet. It makes me nervous. :dancehall:

hope you heard back omg :doc:

15 hours ago, R.E.M. said:

Hope everyone had a good first week (I'm assuming this is the absolute latest y'all can start) :hippo:

things have been going well so far! mostly doing intern hours and starting my thesis along with some TA work, but it’s helped me realize what aspect of museums I want to focus on tbh! working in collections for my internship and my TA position has been very helpful, and I’m happy to finally have a clear career direction rather than just “any museum position is fine because they’re all fun.”

I mean that last part is still true, but that’s more useful as like, backup while looking for jobs if that makes sense. 

On 9/11/2021 at 7:55 AM, cloudbusting said:

hope you heard back omg :doc:

Apparently the lead counselor/clinician at the agency had a meeting with my field director today. I still have to do an interview to see if I'm a good "fit" but I'm glad the agency was able to talk with my university. Now, hopefully I'll be able to hear from someone tomorrow or Friday about doing the interview. I'm still nervous, but at least the place is still a possibility.

i just started my last year to get my Masters in Occupational Therapy. I just finished my internships in hand therapy and public schools/early intervention. now i have to start my research project. think i’m going to do it on the efficacy of sensory interventions done in OT compared to done in applied behavioral analysis (ABA)

5 hours ago, witness1.3 said:

i just started my last year to get my Masters in Occupational Therapy. I just finished my internships in hand therapy and public schools/early intervention. now i have to start my research project. think i’m going to do it on the efficacy of sensory interventions done in OT compared to done in applied behavioral analysis (ABA)

Congratulations on being in the home stretch! I hear OT is really rewarding as a career too. And I'm really interested in that research project idea. Let me know if you fully decide to go that route, because I'd be interested to hear your thoughts afterward about the topic.

4 hours ago, Euterpe said:

Congratulations on being in the home stretch! I hear OT is really rewarding as a career too. And I'm really interested in that research project idea. Let me know if you fully decide to go that route, because I'd be interested to hear your thoughts afterward about the topic.

it has been very rewarding so far :) and yeah i’m definitely going to do that topic. ABA is very controversial right now, and i want to make sure my future clients feel like i respect their neurodiversity and help them with adaptations or accommodations to their sensitivities, and not force them to adapt to it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 2:14 PM, witness1.3 said:

The use of ABA therapy in applied settings is a very contentious issue. I get that it's "easy" in terms of training technicians and actually administering which makes it appealing for underfunded rehabilitation clinics/school boards, but by in large it's really quite horrible (and borderline abusive). 

Prospective student here! I finished undergrad this year and I'm now working full-time, but I'll be sending my master's applications for women's/gender studies late October or early November. :gaycat6: 

Nice to see so many girls on ATRL educated, you are all amazing.

5 hours ago, Planet Mars said:

I'm joining y'all next fall :jonny5:

yay! Congrats :heart:

3 hours ago, John Slayne said:

Prospective student here! I finished undergrad this year and I'm now working full-time, but I'll be sending my master's applications for women's/gender studies late October or early November. :gaycat6: 

Nice to see so many girls on ATRL educated, you are all amazing.

wishing you the best of luck! keep us updated on the application process :hippo:

@R.E.M.You started your masters last month right? I was wondering how that was going for you since you said it was your first.:party:

11 minutes ago, Euterpe said:

@R.E.M.You started your masters last month right? I was wondering how that was going for you since you said it was your first.:party:

Yes I did! So far so good :heart: I'm really enjoying the content (developmental psychology). While the assessments are a lot of work, writing papers >>>>>> the 50-100 question multiple choice exams I suffered through in undergrad :rip: I survived my first wave of deadlines (a statistics exam, two papers, an assignment, and a proposal in the same week nnn) so I'm pretty exhausted. I have a 30 minute presentation in six days that I haven't started and the thought of writing an outline makes me want to un-alive myself. 

Did you ever hear back from the director of the program? I hope the interview went well :heart2:

1 hour ago, R.E.M. said:

Yes I did! So far so good :heart: I'm really enjoying the content (developmental psychology). While the assessments are a lot of work, writing papers >>>>>> the 50-100 question multiple choice exams I suffered through in undergrad :rip: I survived my first wave of deadlines (a statistics exam, two papers, an assignment, and a proposal in the same week nnn) so I'm pretty exhausted. I have a 30 minute presentation in six days that I haven't started and the thought of writing an outline makes me want to un-alive myself. 

Did you ever hear back from the director of the program? I hope the interview went well :heart2:

I completely agree about papers > multiple choice exams. There's just something different about being able to apply the work instead of exams themselves. Congrats on finishing your first deadlines! It sounded like a rough/busy week. What's the presentation supposed to be about? 30 minutes, whew. :deadbanana:

I did! I had an interview with the director and lead clinician of the agency I want to do the placement with, and the director said it seemed like a good match (the program and I). She said that I should be hearing from the HR manager at some point about next steps/setting up training. :wave2: Now I'm waiting to hear from their HR to make it "official" official, but I'm excited. I really wanted the placement, it was my first choice.

Hey y'all!

Just started law school and I'm so happy a thread like this exists. Congratulations to all of you! :clap3: 

I know ATRL is kinda a messy place.... but maturity allows you to see the site for what it really is: music fanatics in the mood for some good, old-fashioned trolling. You can't take anything too seriously.

On 10/1/2021 at 3:01 PM, Euterpe said:

I completely agree about papers > multiple choice exams. There's just something different about being able to apply the work instead of exams themselves. Congrats on finishing your first deadlines! It sounded like a rough/busy week. What's the presentation supposed to be about? 30 minutes, whew. :deadbanana:

I did! I had an interview with the director and lead clinician of the agency I want to do the placement with, and the director said it seemed like a good match (the program and I). She said that I should be hearing from the HR manager at some point about next steps/setting up training. :wave2: Now I'm waiting to hear from their HR to make it "official" official, but I'm excited. I really wanted the placement, it was my first choice.

I have to find and present a therapeutic intervention strategy for dyslexia. I lowkey hate my topic but I didn't have a say in the matter (sadly). This is gonna be my first in-person presentation since 2018 so I'm highkey nervous that I won't be able to get away with reading my **** in split-screen mode nnnn. 

& whew, I love this for you :jonny5:congrats! It's always gratifying and humbling to see the fruits of your labour. 

12 hours ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

Hey y'all!

Just started law school and I'm so happy a thread like this exists. Congratulations to all of you! :clap3: 

I know ATRL is kinda a messy place.... but maturity allows you to see the site for what it really is: music fanatics in the mood for some good, old-fashioned trolling. You can't take anything too seriously.

Added to the OP. Welcome :date3:

On 10/4/2021 at 3:28 PM, R.E.M. said:

I have to find and present a therapeutic intervention strategy for dyslexia. I lowkey hate my topic but I didn't have a say in the matter (sadly). This is gonna be my first in-person presentation since 2018 so I'm highkey nervous that I won't be able to get away with reading my **** in split-screen mode nnnn. 

& whew, I love this for you :jonny5:congrats! It's always gratifying and humbling to see the fruits of your labour. 

Good luck! And honestly, I can't imagine not doing presentations virtually anymore since I can low key have a document below what I'm doing to read from. :dancehall:I think you're going to do great either way. I'm sorry you hate your topic, but it's almost time to get it over with! You said it's tomorrow, right?

Thank you! It's going to be a challenging clientele, and I'm ready to learn and utilize whatever skills I build for clients in the future. It's particularly why I wanted this placement so badly.

On 9/30/2021 at 4:27 PM, R.E.M. said:

The use of ABA therapy in applied settings is a very contentious issue. I get that it's "easy" in terms of training technicians and actually administering which makes it appealing for underfunded rehabilitation clinics/school boards, but by in large it's really quite horrible (and borderline abusive). 

absolutely agree. I believe therapy should be to support people thrive, not try and change them to be more neurotypical

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2021 at 3:40 PM, CBC said:

Doing my dissertation in Computer Science and thinking about quitting every day :dancehall3:

Submitted my thesis on Tuesday. I can't believe it. I DID IT! :jonny5: