The Grad School Lounge

R.E.M.

I need to start my pre sessional summer course :rip: I feel like if I don't start today I probably won't finish in time for September

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bloo

• R.E.M.

• Euterpe

• cloudbusting

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm doing my masters in environmental studies looking at marine microplastic pollution! does anyone have any tips about how to prep? my program hasnt even started and im already lost :rip:

12 hours ago, Bloo said:

This is where I'm at too. I'm so mentally drained and it's hard for me to even remain productive. I finish in Spring 2022, so I gotta focus on that. :weeps: 

I don't know about you, but the closer I am to ending this program next year (Summer 2022 for me), the more stressed I'm feeling. :sosad:

3 hours ago, Exquisite said:

I need to start my pre sessional summer course :rip: I feel like if I don't start today I probably won't finish in time for September

Is it one of those things where you do it at your own pace?

1 hour ago, ICEY said:

I'm doing my masters in environmental studies looking at marine microplastic pollution! does anyone have any tips about how to prep? my program hasnt even started and im already lost :rip:

What're you lost about so far? :lakitu:

3 hours ago, Euterpe said:

Is it one of those things where you do it at your own pace?

Yep, it's a maths course and we need to know certain things in order to do the course

• ATRL Moderator
6 hours ago, Euterpe said:

I don't know about you, but the closer I am to ending this program next year (Summer 2022 for me), the more stressed I'm feeling. :sosad:

I’m not that stressed to be honest. I’m just exhausted and also dreading what comes after grad school. I’m in a weird funk at the moment. I have several publications already out there. I should have about 12 by the time I’m expected to graduate. So, I’m not too worried about that. I’ve just become lethargic in terms of actually doing the work because I’m so fatigued.

What field are you again? For my field, publishing often before your defense is standard, but I know that’s not the case for most fields.

I graduate college next year next spring but thoughts on taking a gap year, gerls?

Has anyone done 2 MA degrees? I’m starting my first masters in September but I was thinking about doing another masters before my PhD. For context, I’m beginning graduate studies in child psychology (MA with thesis) now, but want to eventually get into clinical psychology (MA, PhD). The reason why I didn’t apply to clinical right after my bachelors is because most programs have a 2-7% acceptance rate and I wanna build a more competitive application. 

Would admissions committees look at my grad school transcript or undergrad? Both? 

1 hour ago, R.E.M. said:

Has anyone done 2 MA degrees? I’m starting my first masters in September but I was thinking about doing another masters before my PhD. For context, I’m beginning graduate studies in child psychology (MA with thesis) now, but want to eventually get into clinical psychology (MA, PhD). The reason why I didn’t apply to clinical right after my bachelors is because most programs have a 2-7% acceptance rate and I wanna build a more competitive application. 

Would admissions committees look at my grad school transcript or undergrad? Both? 

I don’t know if you’re in the US, but assuming yes…I wouldn’t since master’s programs aren’t well-funded and you would have to take out more loans. You should just network with your advisor and professors and see which PhD programs would be a good fit for you 

41 minutes ago, Purr said:

I don’t know if you’re in the US, but assuming yes…I wouldn’t since master’s programs aren’t well-funded and you would have to take out more loans. You should just network with your advisor and professors and see which PhD programs would be a good fit for you 

I’m in Canada so our tuition is significantly cheaper (4-5K per YEAR :toofunny3:), if I were in the states I don’t even think grad school will be a viable option. I got an entrance award of $6K which covers my first year and a half of residency of a 2 year program which is a huge blessing. The only thing I really have to factor in is time and effort. 

15 minutes ago, R.E.M. said:

I’m in Canada so our tuition is significantly cheaper (4-5K per YEAR :toofunny3:), if I were in the states I don’t even think grad school will be a viable option. I got an entrance award of $6K which covers my first year and a half of residency of a 2 year program which is a huge blessing. The only thing I really have to factor in is time and effort. 

Oh, that's not bad at all :laugh: I'd still start out by mingling with more professors and expressing your interests and goals - I'm sure some of them will know other professors at other universities and might refer you to them if you're a good fit for their program (this is how my friend got into her PhD program). I personally would not get a second master's degree, especially my ultimate goal is a PhD. Your PhD program is already going to be 4-5 years, so to add another 2 years on that is a lot. I also think if you have good grades and a great thesis for your current program, your application will not significantly improve by slapping on another degree.

Edited by Purr

1 minute ago, Purr said:

Oh, that's not bad at all :laugh: I'd still start out by mingling with more professors and expressing your interests and goals - I'm sure some of them will know other professors at other universities and might refer you to them if you're a good fit for their program (this is how my friend got into her PhD program). I personally would not get a second master's degree, especially my ultimate goal is a PhD. Your PhD program is already going to be 4-5 years, and so to add another 2 years on that is a lot. I also think if you have good grades and a great thesis for your current program, your application will not significantly improve by slapping on another degree.

Thank you sis :cries: this is sound advice. I keep forgetting how long PhD programs can be but you just slapped me with a dose of reality nnn. I’m definitely going to set up a meeting with my advisors and supervisor to discuss my options.

Her and I touched on it briefly and she mentioned that a lot of programs have fast track options. So for example you do your MA in one year and are immediately admitted to the PhD without having to re-apply. I’m not sure if the US is like that but here in Canada, most supervisors will only accept you as their student if you intend to advance to doctoral level studies anyway so fast track MA degrees are really common.  

53 minutes ago, R.E.M. said:

Thank you sis :cries: this is sound advice. I keep forgetting how long PhD programs can be but you just slapped me with a dose of reality nnn. I’m definitely going to set up a meeting with my advisors and supervisor to discuss my options.

Her and I touched on it briefly and she mentioned that a lot of programs have fast track options. So for example you do your MA in one year and are immediately admitted to the PhD without having to re-apply. I’m not sure if the US is like that but here in Canada, most supervisors will only accept you as their student if you intend to advance to doctoral level studies anyway so fast track MA degrees are really common.  

Glad I could help! You'll be almost 30 by the time you're done with your studies, and I'm sure you definitely want to be earning some real money before then :laugh: 

PhD acceptance rates vary so much, but the most important thing to do is to get your name at out there and start networking. Not only will it help your application, but it may also benefit your post-graduate endeavors - maybe you'll end up doing a post-doc with some these professors or you'll end up being a professor yourself! Good luck with everything :heart2: 

Would it be beneficial if I go back to school and get a master's degree in Computer Science? I've already got a bachelors degree in CS & been working as a SWE for quite a long time now 

• ATRL Moderator
42 minutes ago, sxhunluv said:

Would it be beneficial if I go back to school and get a master's degree in Computer Science? I've already got a bachelors degree in CS & been working as a SWE for quite a long time now 

Not really. If you have a very precise goal (e.g., work as a machine learning engineer), then I can see a Master's having benefit because you're going in to learn a precise skill. But beyond those niche cases, there isn't much benefit between getting a Masters or a Bachelor's in CS if your end goal is being a software engineer.

On 7/2/2021 at 4:39 PM, Mellark said:

I graduate college next year next spring but thoughts on taking a gap year, gerls?

It honestly depends on what your major is, your academic goals, and ultimate career paths.

As an example of personal experience, I was originally going to take a gap year, but my research advisor (who I worked remotely with for a year during COVID) got a job at a different institution and we discussed my situation and I decided to do a PhD under her advisory because we work so well together and our research interests align extremely well. If you want to do a PhD and don't have research experience, take a gap year and build your CV/recommendations/test scores/etc., if you want to do a masters, you need to make a similar case for acceptance purposes, but the selection process is usually not as choosey as a PhD program committee. 

Don't see gap years as a bad thing, as long as you show progress during that time between graduation and the term you're applying for, you will be fine. As a reminder, committees from my own experience (Biological Sciences/Life Sciences) care about your personal statement and recommendations more than anything else, so whatever program you're applying for, ask a professor in your department or field of interest what the committees would probably care most about, they will be up front with you more than likely. Decision committees want to see that you are a dedicated individual who will be willing to learn, grow, and develop into an extremely well-rounded graduate student. 

Anyone experienced with creating scripts for ‘R’? I need help designing a simple script for permutations. Please PM I’m a lost_cause.mp3 :deadbanana4:

• ATRL Moderator
47 minutes ago, R.E.M. said:

Anyone experienced with creating scripts for ‘R’? I need help designing a simple script for permutations. Please PM I’m a lost_cause.mp3 :deadbanana4:

I'm not an R expert (Python outsold, tbh), but this should do the trick if you need something simple and general:

> library(gtools)
> permutations(3, 3, letters[1:3])

10 minutes ago, Bloo said:

I'm not an R expert (Python outsold, tbh), but this should do the trick if you need something simple and general:

> library(gtools)
> permutations(3, 3, letters[1:3])

You’re a saint thank you :jonny5:gonna give this a shot shortly. Can I PM you if anything comes up? I know you’re not an ‘R’ girl but you’re probably much more proficient than I am with this program nnn. The extent of my ‘coding’ is PsychoPy so that should tell you how little I know about this stuff. 

• ATRL Moderator
3 minutes ago, R.E.M. said:

You’re a saint thank you :jonny5:gonna give this a shot shortly. Can I PM you if anything comes up? I know you’re not an ‘R’ girl but you’re probably much more proficient than I am with this program nnn. The extent of my ‘coding’ is PsychoPy so that should tell you how little I know about this stuff. 

Sure. I cannot promise reliable responses though. I am doing proposal writing today, so I may be a bit unreliable in responses, but I'll get to them in due time. :hug: 

2 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Sure. I cannot promise reliable responses though. I am doing proposal writing today, so I may be a bit unreliable in responses, but I'll get to them in due time. :hug: 

No worries! Thank you & good luck with writing today :heart:

On 7/2/2021 at 4:17 PM, Bloo said:

I’m not that stressed to be honest. I’m just exhausted and also dreading what comes after grad school. I’m in a weird funk at the moment. I have several publications already out there. I should have about 12 by the time I’m expected to graduate. So, I’m not too worried about that. I’ve just become lethargic in terms of actually doing the work because I’m so fatigued.

What field are you again? For my field, publishing often before your defense is standard, but I know that’s not the case for most fields.

I understand that feeling, though I'm in a completely different field. I'm doing social work. I just got my email about setting up my second field placement. My first placement was 9 months and I was doing 6 days a week for internship + full time job, plus doing schoolwork. I'm already overwhelmed with school and work, and to do a second placement is going to be so much worse. 

• 4 weeks later...

reviving with some small updates!

finally locked down an internship for the fall! I’ll be working in the collections department of a local historical society, and it’ll be a good opportunity to kinda wear several hats and practice several skills. Super hyped about it, especially since I’ll likely get to plan and install my own small exhibition :jonny6:

Also have finally contacted my desired thesis committee members; 2 are yes, the potential third and final one is on vacation through this weekend so hopefully by the middle of next week I’ll know for sure. 

I feel a lot less scared and way more excited about this final year tbh! Hope everyone else is doing okay as this upcoming semester draws nearer :party:

Goodluck to you all. My sister finally finished her PhD last year after 7 years of grueling candidature. She used to complain a lot on her cantankerous advisor, paper rejection and her endless stress dealing with failed experiments :fan: 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2021 at 7:16 AM, cloudbusting said:

reviving with some small updates!

finally locked down an internship for the fall! I’ll be working in the collections department of a local historical society, and it’ll be a good opportunity to kinda wear several hats and practice several skills. Super hyped about it, especially since I’ll likely get to plan and install my own small exhibition :jonny6:

Also have finally contacted my desired thesis committee members; 2 are yes, the potential third and final one is on vacation through this weekend so hopefully by the middle of next week I’ll know for sure. 

I feel a lot less scared and way more excited about this final year tbh! Hope everyone else is doing okay as this upcoming semester draws nearer :party:

Congratulations! My field director’s outreach for my field placement/internship next year starts the first week of September, and the process is nerve wracking!

My next course starts Monday, and I always feel intimidated about the work  when classes start coming up.

On 7/30/2021 at 9:31 AM, Donquizote said:

Goodluck to you all. My sister finally finished her PhD last year after 7 years of grueling candidature. She used to complain a lot on her cantankerous advisor, paper rejection and her endless stress dealing with failed experiments :fan: 

Congratulations to her! That’s a feat!:clap3: