The Grad School Lounge

R.E.M.

10 hours ago, Devin said:

Wishing you the best of luck too! I completed my MBA May 2020. The pandemic really took a toll those last 2 months. What MBA concentration are you taking up?

I'm not sure yet... that's partially why im taking a summer break. I'm just about done with the required courses but I'm not exactly ecstatic about having to choose one thing to specialize in. I'll probably end up doing corporate finance 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bloo

• R.E.M.

• Euterpe

• cloudbusting

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, R.E.M. said:

I'm thrilled to be in the company of such intelligent people :clap3: 

I've heard social work is one of the most gruelling programs in terms of workload :cries: Between coursework and clinical practicum, I can't imagine how intense your schedule is. Regardless, keep pushing through! You're almost at the finish line.

It's not easy, the coursework is application based, so it's a lot of papers, videos, participating in role-playing videos, discussions, and the reading is immense. Every week feels like a month of work. :deadbanana: I was doing six days a week for work/field for 9 months. I'm glad it's temporarily over, but I'm not looking forward to doing that again. And thank you! I appreciate the boost. :hughard:

15 hours ago, Rotunda said:

Hello :gaycat1:

11 hours ago, wolfaire said:

I'm anxiously waiting for my LoA! If things go as planned, I'll start spring next year. Pray for me sistren :jonny4:

My interest is peaked. :gaycat2: What programs are planned/are you doing?

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, CBC said:

Doing my dissertation in Computer Science and thinking about quitting every day :dancehall3:

Good luck, sis! I'm in my last year too, but you gotta push through. You've got this! :hug: 

3 minutes ago, Euterpe said:

It's not easy, the coursework is application based, so it's a lot of papers, videos, participating in role-playing videos, discussions, and the reading is immense. Every week feels like a month of work. :deadbanana: I was doing six days a week for work/field for 9 months. I'm glad it's temporarily over, but I'm not looking forward to doing that again. And thank you! I appreciate the boost. :hughard:

I’m getting starting my master’s program in public policy this fall 

39 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Good luck, sis! I'm in my last year too, but you gotta push through. You've got this! :hug: 

Thanks! It just sucks that I was learning so much when I had classes and then suddenly I stopped learning anything at all :monkey:

Omg all these intelligent people :jonny5: I hope my application really come through and I can join yall

44 minutes ago, Euterpe said:

I'm applying for MS Analytics. I was actually planning to do a PhD but my friends who do so are all stressed out and they told me that the prospect is kinda bleak 💀 So I decided to take an MS instead.

I love that there are so many smart ATRLers :clap3:

I finished my Master's in Chemistry almost 2 years ago now. That was enough for me though, so hats off to everyone doing PhDs!

6 hours ago, R.E.M. said:

Depending on where you're from, I can answer some questions if you'd like. I'm in North America and like to think I'm pretty familiar with the process (we're talking tons of meetings with advisors & potential supervisors, workshops, info sessions, and having applied to several programs myself). 

i'm also in north america

i've started talking about potential ventures for grad school and i'm probably going to check info sessions and speak more with advisors. thank you and if i need more advice i'll PM you :heart2:

Ooh I’m happy this thread is a thing now! It’ll be nice to commiserate and cheer everyone on :jonny6:

I just wrapped up my first year of grad school; currently working towards a degree in museum studies. Finished most of my seminars and classes upfront, so barring the one elective I still need, what’s left is getting internship hours and doing my thesis. Nerve-wracking but super exciting at the same time tbh!

Wishing everyone luck as we get through this :heart2:

I'm currently doing my PhD in bioengineering. I am planning to take my candidacy exam at the end of the summer. Pray for me sisters... :jonny5:

My family expects me to do a masters degree sometime in the future however atm my final bachelor year is an absolute trainwreck and is going so wrong rn. What's the workload / difficulty jump between BA to MA like?

14 hours ago, SickLove said:

My family expects me to do a masters degree sometime in the future however atm my final bachelor year is an absolute trainwreck and is going so wrong rn. What's the workload / difficulty jump between BA to MA like?

I think the specifics vary between programs, but in general for me it’s been more research and discussion-based than my undergrad stuff. Granted, I went from fashion marketing to museum studies so it was a shift in general, but overall I think it’s not really more difficult as much as it is more critical thinking (and a higher workload).

Hope this helps a bit :chick3:

14 hours ago, SickLove said:

@cloudbustingmakes a good point that it can vary between programs. What would you be looking at doing?

Gotta vent for a moment, but applying for internships is so stressful :'(

It’s gonna be annoying to try and make scheduling work with my TA position this fall, but I know I’ll feel better once I get an internship and finalize everything. The uncertainty of the future is what drives me nuts for now. 

Getting a Masters in Communications or Journalism, just deciding which one I think I'd use more

Hi everyone! I'm doing a masters degree in electronics and communications engineering! Quite scared because I'm struggling to get an internship/graduate program! Any tips how you guys got your internships?

When you click 'Download PDF' on an article and it downloads it without redirecting you to PubMed to pay $80 for an article >>>>>

Just got my MS in Biotech this past May.

Extremely burntout of school but excited for the future!

At most I see myself MAYBE getting an MBA down the line but maybe in a few years.

Anyways, good luck everyone working on their degrees right now :heart:

Just started my summer classes for my masters and I’m already stressed. Also annoyed because I’ve never had to take summer classes before :mazen:

7 hours ago, cloudbusting said:

It’s gonna be annoying to try and make scheduling work with my TA position this fall, but I know I’ll feel better once I get an internship and finalize everything. The uncertainty of the future is what drives me nuts for now. 

As someone who likes to plan their next year in advance, I've been so on edge these last few months for this exact reason. That being said, I feel you sis. There's so much uncertainty with internships now because of the pandemic (at least in Canada).

My university is still deciding which labs will operate remotely so I'll only be able to sign on to this lab I interviewed for months ago in September :rip: I don't even know if I'll be able to anymore since I have other things I already committed to for Fall 2021 and I might not have room in my schedule.

2 hours ago, TheDreamer said:

Hi everyone! I'm doing a masters degree in electronics and communications engineering! Quite scared because I'm struggling to get an internship/graduate program! Any tips how you guys got your internships?

Haven’t locked any down yet, but I’m hoping networking will help me since I have to stay local at least this fall. My program director is really well connected within my state’s museum community, so having her as a reference makes me feel reassured. Other than that it’s just prayer and maybe a tiny bit of hoping they have diversity needs they want to meet :chick3:

1 hour ago, R.E.M. said:

As someone who likes to plan their next year in advance, I've been so on edge these last few months for this exact reason. That being said, I feel you sis. There's so much uncertainty with internships now because of the pandemic (at least in Canada).

My university is still deciding which labs will operate remotely so I'll only be able to sign on to this lab I interviewed for months ago in September :rip: I don't even know if I'll be able to anymore since I have other things I already committed to for Fall 2021 and I might not have room in my schedule.

Ugh, I totally feel this. Even with my state opening up pretty much fully (Oklahoma was barely closed to begin with lmao), a lot of museums took a financial hit so not as many of them + professional organizations are offering even unpaid positions. 

I haven’t been able to officially enroll for the fall yet because the university hasn’t finalized its budget and my director doesn’t know if she’ll be able to offer an elective she knows I really want this fall or if it’ll have to wait until spring. Without knowing that, I can’t cast my net as widely as I want because I don’t know how long I’ll have to stay in my area; if I can get it and my TA stuff done this fall, that allows me to look into possibly trying somewhere new. My thesis stuff (including the defense) can all be done virtually, so I’d like to at least have that be an option. 

The other messy thing is that I can’t officially accept my TA position until I enroll in at least 6 credit hours which I currently can’t do until I either secure an internship or find out about that elective. I’m applying to stuff but the waiting is killing me :dies:

On 6/5/2021 at 4:31 PM, ennui said:

I'm currently doing my PhD in bioengineering. I am planning to take my candidacy exam at the end of the summer. Pray for me sisters... :jonny5:

woohoo what concentration/specialization? I just graduated with a BS in Biomedical Engineering (conc: Cell & Tissue Engineering) and I've done research in a biomaterials lab for polymeric nanoparticle-based drug delivery!  I'm going into industry now, but I hope to go back to school someday :biggrin:

Edited by sciencemagic

On 6/10/2021 at 1:25 PM, sciencemagic said:

woohoo what concentration/specialization? I just graduated with a BS in Biomedical Engineering (conc: Cell & Tissue Engineering) and I've done research in a biomaterials lab for polymeric nanoparticle-based drug delivery!  I'm going into industry now, but I hope to go back to school someday :biggrin:

Congrats on graduating and good luck with the new job! I work in a tissue engineering lab that focus on creating more relevant models of breast cancer to study underlying biological questions and screen treatment options. Let me know if you ever want to talk about grad school (though I know more about PhD programs than MS/MEng). :heart:

• 3 weeks later...

I’m tired… very, very tired. Even after going on a short vacation, I’m burnt out. I gotta remind myself a little over a year left…

• ATRL Moderator
55 minutes ago, Euterpe said:

I’m tired… very, very tired. Even after going on a short vacation, I’m burnt out. I gotta remind myself a little over a year left…

This is where I'm at too. I'm so mentally drained and it's hard for me to even remain productive. I finish in Spring 2022, so I gotta focus on that. :weeps: