Anne-Marie - ‘Therapy’

Moonlightbae

Honestly she has no artistic direction.  Like where is the growth? Both her albums have a few bops, but could have been sung by literally anybody else.  She has such a good voice and the charisma but... 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lady Claire

• KeshasFansRose

• nooniebao

• computer.boy

8 hours ago, Lady Claire said:

Kiss My is twice on Top 10. Album is #3 on iTunes and top 10 on AM. It was #1 on Amazon and she has multiple physicals and bundles. I'm expecting a 15-20k debut... idk where that would put her in but i hope top 3 on the Official Charts. SYM was also #3 and she had a lot more hype back then

She is most definitely debuting #2 behind Dave. At worst, #3 behind KSI too (messy cause Don’t Play would help his album in that case).

Kiss My seems likely for top 10 if the Spotify debut is good

Edited by Popboi.

40 minutes ago, goldstargay said:

Honestly she has no artistic direction.  Like where is the growth? Both her albums have a few bops, but could have been sung by literally anybody else.  She has such a good voice and the charisma but... 

Yeah, I feel ths. Speak Your Mind had more personality than this too...

1 minute ago, halcyonday said:

Yeah, I feel ths. Speak Your Mind had more personality than this too...

To be fair, this album became a critical make or break after Birthday, To Be Young and Problems bombed. She’s playing really safe her cards.

I guess Speak Your Mind had more time, money and effort thrown into the  actual album, and not all going into booking collabs.

she did not disappoint!

served a 3/10 album and bottom 5 of the year as I expected, first two songs had me worried cause they were actually decent

Edited by K$Ellie

Unlovable, Uh Oh and Don't Play are definitely the highlights of the album. I dig the closing track too.

Not a groundbreaking one as others stated too but I'm just happy she got to release her sophomore after all.

Uh Oh will probably keep the momentum for 1-1.5 months, then she should release the Marshmallow collab and some other DJ collabs to close the era with a deluxe edition. 

Unlovable, Uh Oh and Don't Play are definitely the highlights of the album. I dig the closing track too.

Not a groundbreaking one as others stated too but I'm just happy she got to release her sophomore after all.

Uh Oh will probably keep the momentum for 1-1.5 months, then she should release the Marshmallow collab and some other DJ collabs to close the era with a deluxe edition. 

x2 is amazing opener, i didn't expected to be SLAYED like this the rest is ok few fillers and i like collab with LM

This is actually pretty good. I enjoyed her debut, didn’t think it was anything amazing but it was pleasant. The start ups to this era weren’t great but this album is cute! 

Wasn’t checking for this at all but might purchase :ohwow: x2, tell your girlfriend, the title track and Kiss My :smitten:

x2 - I really like it, I don't think it is a banger, the hook is not super strong but it is catchy and it is better than a filler. I think it might grow on me, for now it is a solid  7.5/10

Don't Play - This is really catchy, I felt like its a strong single when it was released and it's still is. 9/10

Kiss My (Uh Oh) - Yes. this is so good! 10/10

Who I Am -  Such a good time pop jam, great for car rides. 9/10

Our Song - This song is one of the best songs released this year IMO, is it super fresh? not really. But it is a classic mid tempo pop song and for me it is perfect  10/10

Way Too Long - First album filler IMO, is it that bad? no. But it is very meh. 6/10

Breathing - Such a dreamy, cool vibe track 9/10

Unlovable - The production reminds me of old 2000's anthems without being that dated. Might be one of the strongest songs on the album. 10/10

Beautiful - Maybe in 2015 this was a really really good, it has a good production and I might be good with it but than that end. God. 7.5/10

Tell Your Girlfriend - I guess she needs to title all of her songs with "Girlfriend", becuase everytime she does, they turn into bangers! 10/10

Better Not Together - I know it is a hit and a miss to most people, again the production takes me somewhat to a good feeling throw back BUT I feel like it is only 80% clicking for me, something is just missing a bit to be a perfect home run,  8/10

Therapy - This is one of my top 3 songs of this album, hands down! I don't see alot of love for this song in this thread and it should be getting it. Strong 10/10

Overall I would give her album 8.5. Whoever like her sound would love this as well. Is it a big step forward for her? No. She is in her comfort zone. Is that bad? I don't know. If you look at current pop, most people are staying in their lane and it is working for them and the fact she is not making a dull album and it has her good vibes all over it just means that at least she is not dropping the ball in doing what she knows. 

People call her music very 2010's. Well I don't know what is wrong with good pop sound. Some people still try to do 2010's pop and fail. Is this album that exciting and fresh? No. But does it has less fillers than almost every album I've heard this year? Hands down YES. I actually like/love almost every track here, as an album it is a fun play start to finish as other albums this year had 2-3 strong songs and so much fillers I was done half way in. So for me this is another success from Anne.

On 7/23/2021 at 6:34 PM, goldstargay said:

what do you mean, she wrote the whole album and everything sounds like a smash?

Her artistic vision is relatable lyric and feel good vibe (Id compare her to Dua lipa)

I love the album!! im so impressed! x2, breathing, who i am are so far my favorites, but Im still listening

the 1st album was much better. this one literally sucks and has no personality 

Edited by original_lifeline

I just cannot believe this is the same girl who released stuff like Do It Right, Alarm, Peak, and Then :deadbanana4: Speak Your Mind was also a let down, but it’s great compared to this album. 

i only use Tell Your Girlfriend and Unlovable if I can get over corny lyrics :'( and like I had said, Kiss My would’ve been better without the collab or with a different artist. But get that cute UK hit ig

1 hour ago, SweetTalker said:

I just cannot believe this is the same girl who released stuff like Do It Right, Alarm, Peak, and Then :deadbanana4: Speak Your Mind was also a let down, but it’s great compared to this album. 

I'm listening for the second time now, but I totally feel the same. Do It Right, Alarm, Peak, Then and even some other of the SYM tracks like Cry (which may be her best song with the extended intro), Bad Girlfriend and Ciao Adios at least had a PUNCH. They felt personal, fire and fit well with her energetic personality.:ihype:

Too bad she already showed a more cringy side back then with songs like Perfect and Heavy and that's the direction she chose to expand on...:noparty: Songs like Who I Am have cute production and melodies, but the juvenile 'you're good the way you are'-lyrics are just.. cringy imo. Beautiful doesn't even have any redeeming qualities:skull: It's just hard to get that type of message right:michael: 

This album in full feels like some weird playlist of generic Spotify foddler. I think Unlovable, x2, Breathing, Our Song, Better Not Together, Kiss My and Therapy are okay, but they're not more than that: just okay. They don't hold a candle to the best songs from SYM. I guess I like Birthday and To Be Young more than anything on this album too:gaycat6:

I appreciate she wants to be a role model to younger people and wants to put out good messages, but that just means she lost me:katie:

Guardian review. A bad score but not that bad content. They're basically saying the album would've been great if it was only made by her solo vulnerable songs and how the collabs and the Ed song "ruins" the album.

I kinda get their point but the reason this album is even released it's bc of the collabs :skull:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jul/25/anne-marie-therapy-review

---

Also i don't see that much of a difference between this and SYM, imo. Both are a collection of radio songs that feels like a party playlist. If you like generic, carefree pop her albums are great from the get go.

16 minutes ago, Lady Claire said:

Guardian review. A bad score but not that bad content. They're basically saying the album would've been great if it was only made by her solo vulnerable songs and how the collabs and the Ed song "ruins" the album.

I kinda get their point but the reason this album is even released it's bc of the collabs :skull:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jul/25/anne-marie-therapy-review

---

Also i don't see that much of a difference between this and SYM, imo. Both are a collection of radio songs that feels like a party playlist. If you like generic, carefree pop her albums are great from the get go.

the collabs are actually the best songs on this one :skull: 

Speak Your Mind was filled with amazing songs. nothing on Therapy comes close to songs like Cry, Ciao Adios, Alarm, Then, 2002, Breathing Fire.. etc

I actually enjoyed this album much more than I thought I would :jamming: 

Beautiful really scared me, but it's the worst song on the album, luckily.

I mean, it's nothing groundbreaking, but there's some cute bops on there!

13 hours ago, SweetTalker said:

i only use Tell Your Girlfriend and Unlovable if I can get over corny lyrics :'( and like I had said, Kiss My would’ve been better without the collab or with a different artist. But get that cute UK hit ig

i agree with everything you said

everything ever since Heavy (minus Then and other songs on the album that were older such as Used to Love You) has been a generic letdown

Our Song and Tell Your Girlfriend are the highlights for me. Speak Your Mind is better. 

11 hours ago, Moonlightbae said:

the collabs are actually the best songs on this one :skull: 

Speak Your Mind was filled with amazing songs. nothing on Therapy comes close to songs like Cry, Ciao Adios, Alarm, Then, 2002, Breathing Fire.. etc

I feel like the highs on SYM were far higher than the ones on Therapy, but for me Therapy was more consistent throughout bc it only has 1 song that i didn't like while on SYM it had like 4 and she ruined Breathing Fire compared to the live version

But that's on me though, for me both are on the same level for different reasons

XvkVYwm.gif