why is julia michaels such a flop?

UnusualBoy
34 minutes ago, Mercurio said:

The title :rip: 

The music she released after ‘Issues’ is too chill and her voice lacks weight, which makes her songs sound basic despite her songwriting skills being good. She doesn’t strike me as a Pop star. 

It had me screaming :rip: 

Anyway, she has no star power nor charisma, her new album is good but she lacks this spark to make it big.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sharapov

• Michael196

• Virtual_Insanity

• Souvenir

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloodflowers.

She's the Jennifer Paige of this generation

Tinashegrande6

Personally I don't really like her voice. Also following up Issues with a song like Uh Huh was a choice :rip:

She's a good songwriter though, so she can make her coin that way.

gatito

I mean i don't get it either cause Zara and Anne Marie are arguably just as bland and uninteresting but they still had their 15 minutes so idk

QueenofCopyPaste
1 hour ago, St. Francis said:

Songwriters/artists like Victoria Monet and Tove Lo too. While Tove's had hits, she deserves much more recognition. 

Unless I could be mistaken, I think Sia and Bebe Rexha are the only female songwriters-artists who have had decent commercial success.

Meghan Trainor

ryoncé
13 minutes ago, gatito said:

I mean i don't get it either cause Zara and Anne Marie are arguably just as bland and uninteresting but they still had their 15 minutes so idk

Zara may have bland material thrown her way but she herself as a vocalist and performer is ANYTHING but bland 

Zara has the IT factor but just struggles to find the right material to showcase that. Julia may be able to weave together bops but is majorly lacking in the “it” factor herself 

howilookonyou

her songwriting is horrific

her enunciation is polarizing like the way she turns every s into sh ("iii mish you imishu", "a painful ekshperiensh", "i'm jellish, i'm overzelish") like GOD DAMN GIRL get those teeth fixed if it's that bad :biblio:

her core audience is twinks or sad 30 year old lesbians

however, I Miss You remains and by the looks of it, will be her only best song

1 hour ago, St. Francis said:

Songwriters/artists like Victoria Monet and Tove Lo too. While Tove's had hits, she deserves much more recognition. 

Unless I could be mistaken, I think Sia and Bebe Rexha are the only female songwriters-artists who have had decent commercial success.

-Stevie Nicks

-Sheryl Crow

-Taylor Swift

-Adele 

-Madonna

-Lady Gaga

-Dolly

Devin
2 hours ago, Selegend said:

Good songwriter but lacks star quality. :michael: 

:cm: but I like her tho

Revival
2 hours ago, Samsom said:

She also doesn't have charisma or the IT factor that makes artists smash.

Yep. I love her music and I listen to Nervous System practically everyday,  but there’s nothing about her that really says “wow! She’s so interesting I can’t keep my eyes off of her” I think she would’ve had a better chance at being successful if she’d started her career a few years ago when her style of music was most popular. She unfortunately waited too long to start.  

Musicology

She missed the opportunity with this song 

KasioKas
2 hours ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

Her music is awful. 

It really is, earlier in her own career there were gems but I just listened to her new album and found not 1 single song worth saving really, even the pre singles grew old fast

aotwbys

she gives all of her good material away and leaves none for herself

Soda Pop Queen
2 hours ago, MonsterNavy said:

She's better off as a songwriter. Not everyone can be a star

Plain and simple.

americanlife

She's a good writer but her voice is not that good. It sounds like the producer pitched it lower.

Virtual_Insanity

I don't think she has a good tone, and her lyrics are so teenage like but she is almost 30.. so the teens don't use her. 

lielikejulia
Posted (edited)

I think part of it is how her career has been managed since day 1, they released “Issues” w/o having follow-up single on hold, they could’ve easily launched her to stardom like Olivia that had a whole album rollout already planned. I believe that if republic pushed her music she could find success because there IS an audience for her style but that’s sadly not the case, they didn’t even release singles before the release of “Inner Monologue”. it’s also worth mentioning that you can’t rly compare julia’s 4-yr career to the careers of her peers because believe it or not, many have careers that have been bought various ways. Regardless of everything, she has the success that many artists dream of; not every girlie has written two #1 hits, has collabed w high-profile artists, has performed at the olympics, has 3 Scammy noms and way more :coffee:

Edited by lielikejulia
applestar

lie like this should have been a hit

she flops because she doesn't have name recognition

She's the albanian Normani; no charisma, no star power, boring and her team detests her 

Jaspurr

She's meant to be a songwriter only tbh. Lie Like This is the kind of a song radio would spam every 15 minutes. Should've been pitched to Ava Max. Her new single Little Did I Know has a very anthemic chorus too. If the clunky verses were reworked and the song was given to one of the hitmakers it would've smashed so hard.

teenagecraze

yeah she lacks star quality, watch some live videos, she's just there. she's great yes she's cute, for some reason releases her most boring songs, her unreleased catalog is amazing

skyandground

"Flopping" is the default state 99% of music artists are in... :giraffe:

What's interesting is why 1% of them happen and become superstars instead :coffee2:

Michael196
12 hours ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

I don't think she has a good tone, and her lyrics are so teenage like but she is almost 30.. so the teens don't use her. 

ok

:heart2: