music historian says the music industry is dying

Pikachoo

Based off a post from the RHCP selling their catalogues thread:

He basically says that the music industry does NOT want to invest in new stars as they have zero confidence in the business, so they are depending on existing catalogues for revenue. 

thoughts? Is this a good thing for music? Or a bad thing? Will we reach an age of Music not the Bling?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enoch

• Illuminati

• Pop Art

• KillingYourCareer

Top Posters In This Topic

private radio

i mean, somewhat. it’s different now during the streaming era, but at the same time we don’t really have a lot of “classic” songs it’s just a bunch of quick hits and remixes for a few streams so yuh…

Yeah it's really noticable, I wish the industry invested in my fave but so far it's all been her own power

StrangerInTheDark
Just now, Cain said:

Yeah it's really noticable, I wish the industry invested in my fave but so far it's all been her own power

zI4X78y.gif

Beyoncé Knowles

I mean it's expected because artists are just making music to get hits now. We barely have good music nowadays. Songs are getting short, radio friendly, safe and we have bunch of talentless people slaying the charts...

Katy V.!

The music industry is not dying (and never will), record companies and labels are. 

Devin

The streaming era definitely has a both positive and negative impact on the industry. 

Brando

Good music will still continue to be made. Less money won't dull creativity. If anything it may improve it. Musicians should be making music because they want to, not just for the bling. Plus they'll be fine making hundreds of thousands of dollars instead of millions each year. Nowhere does it say that as a musician you need to be making millions. 

Beyoncé Knowles
1 minute ago, Cain said:

Trust me sweetie, they invested a lot in your fave 

getBusy

we've been reading this since the 00s

Pop Art

This is an interesting perspective. It's odd because it's my understanding that streaming has actually increased the music industry's revenue since around 2016, but there's probably some points in what they're saying. (I know the content of the tweet isn't specifically about streaming, but it's relevant to the conversation.)

1_rss.png

3 minutes ago, Beyoncé Knowles said:

Trust me sweetie, they invested a lot in your fave 

Not according to this music historian :lakitu:

4 minutes ago, Katy V.! said:

The music industry is not dying (and never will), record companies and labels are. 

music is not dying but music industry 100% is.

postsus

I agree. Everything changed after Artpop's underperformance.

Illuminati

Someone here said streaming pays way more than digital sales did, so what is the truth

JoshBTW
1 minute ago, Reflektor_Creep said:

Adele must return

But then when the world needed her the most… she disappeared. Avatar, the legend of Adele. 

Kavish

How is the music industry dying when she has literally put out 4 albums in 3 years and is in the midst of re-recording her previous albums.  I would say she is thriving.

The historian is an obsessed hater confirmed.  Seethe!

ONOPKA
1 minute ago, Kavish said:

How is the music industry dying when she has literally put out 4 albums in 3 years and is in the midst of re-recording her previous albums.  I would say she is thriving.

The historian is an obsessed hater confirmed.  Seethe!

:rip: 

Illuminati
Posted (edited)

I feel like legends sell their catalogues because they know they're gonna be dead soon and investing their money into something like stocks is way more profitable for the future generations

Edited by Illuminati
dylanx

The stars of tomorrow are going to be indie, label-less artists, and I anticipate most of them will be coming from Twitch and TikTok.

Music as a popular art form will continue to be consumed in even greater quantities than ever before, but with the rise of streaming, Covid ruining the touring business and music becoming "cheaper", we really are staring the death of the music industry in the face right now.

The only way forward is to give individual donations to artists at this point tbh.

nathanspears

It makes sense. There's no money in music so how the hell are these labels meant to survive?