Grammy Chief shades Taylor; says folklore is a folk album

Miss Americana

Miss Americana

So the number is going to continue to decease based on the number of categories you choose to vote in, and that was done specifically to stop “vote grazing” or people following their favorite artist into genres that they don’t really know, like if the biggest pop artist in the world made, say, a folk album.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/grammy-harvey-mason-elimination-secret-nominating-committees-interview-1234964395/

Thots?

G.U.Y. Gaga

But she won a general category so how does this make sense lol

Post Malone

Taylor making them change their game. IMPACT

ezgif-4-800153e5f1a1.thumb.gif.b7d928dc8

Ms. Togekiss

can someone explain? My brain has turned into mush tonight hihi and don't understand what he meant 

7uyD3p7.gif 

bluebirdsforever
5 minutes ago, Ms. Togekiss said:

can someone explain? My brain has turned into mush tonight hihi and don't understand what he meant 

7uyD3p7.gif 

It’s not shade, he’s basically using a folklore-like album as an example to describe how the process should work.

But the example doesn’t make sense because he seems to be describing a scenario where folklore was nominated in - say - the alt categories and then voted for by pop voters who just followed Taylor into a genre they didn’t understand to vote for her, which obviously isn’t what happened.

7uyD3p7.gif

Letemtalk
Posted (edited)

Did Taylor try to submit folklore to folk instead of pop?

Probably a hypothetical example.

In any case, reducing the categories the voters can vote in to 10 is a good change, although there might be producers and engineers that really do work in a lot of different genres. For example Jack Antonoff working in Pop, Alternative and Rock (St. Vincent) and Country (Dixie Chicks). Then each genre usually has album, song and performance awards (or solo/group).

Edited by Letemtalk
Orsay

I don’t think he’s saying folklore should have been nominated in the folk category, i think he’s saying it shouldn’t have been because then everyone would have followed her to that category. But she wasn’t even nominated in folk, so i don’t think it’s shade at all, he’s just using her as an example to make his point

I could be misinterpreting it but that’s what i got

Pink Ranger

Swifties gonna be sending him

death threats on Twitter now :deadbanana2:

dussel_06
5 minutes ago, Letemtalk said:

Did Taylor try to submit it to folk instead of pop?

In any case, reducing the categories the voters can vote in is a good change, although there might be producers and engineers that really do wok in lot of different genres. For example Jack Anonoff working in Pop, Alternative and Rock (St. Vincent) and Country (Dixie Chicks).

Might be the case but similar to the oscars, you’re membership comes with a designated expertise (director, actor, editor, etc.) If you have two or more expertise, you need to pay for a separate membership and meet the field qualifications (credits and previous nominations on that field).

So I guess for grammys, artists and engineers needs to pick their field (pop,rock,rnb, etc) and if they want more field, they’ll need to pay for that. (I doubt most of them will pay double just to vote for the song) So if Taylor choose pop and has a nominated song in the country category, she can’t vote on that field unless she also have a separate membership for the country field (which requires qualifications such as country song/album credits and the like).

IAMDOM

IDK but I know one thing I noticed is Folklore is the only album like in history that didn’t win its categorical award but somehow won its main award? Hmmmmm

Letemtalk
4 minutes ago, IAMDOM said:

IDK but I know one thing I noticed is Folklore is the only album like in history that didn’t win its categorical award but somehow won its main award? Hmmmmm

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

IAMDOM
2 minutes ago, Letemtalk said:

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Ok so one of only 2. Still fishy

bluebirdsforever
13 minutes ago, IAMDOM said:

That’s actually happened quite a few times, and as recently as 2013. Ironically, most of the other albums it happened to were also alternative.

What you’re likely referring to is a Pop Vocal winner losing Album of the Year to another Pop Vocal nominee. But that’s not surprising when you remember folklore is barely pop (there’s very few precedents in Grammy history for a pop star like Taylor suddenly releasing an indie folk album) so the majority of its votes would have been coming from other genres.

Add in the fact that the album it lost Pop Vocal to likely didn’t have similar cross-genre support, and it becomes pretty self-explanatory. 

Letemtalk
2 minutes ago, bluebirdsforever said:

That’s actually happened quite a few times, and as recently as 2013.

What you’re likely referring to is a Pop Vocal winner losing Album of the Year to another Pop Vocal nominee. But that’s not surprising when you remember folklore is barely pop (there’s very few precedents in Grammy history for a pop star like Taylor suddenly releasing an indie folk album) so the majority of its votes would have been coming from other genres.

Add in the fact that the album it lost Pop Vocal to likely didn’t have similar cross-genre support, and it becomes pretty self-explanatory. 

I'm sure that votes were quite close.

Folklore would have got votes from Folk, Alternative, Americana and others

Future Nostalgia would have got votes from Dance/Electronic and a few more pop votes

TaylorFantasy

Shading Taylor is why their ratings went DOWN.mp3 I call karma T*yvoodoo etc

7uyD3p7.gif

TaylorFantasy
13 minutes ago, IAMDOM said:

Mumford & Sons - Babel

Coklek92
26 minutes ago, IAMDOM said:

Folklore has wider genre appeal compared to Future Nostalgia. Alternative, rock, country, Americana most likely voted folklore than Future Nostalgia. Maybe you should do some research hmmmmmm :celestial5:

Coklek92
53 minutes ago, Letemtalk said:

Did Taylor try to submit folklore to folk instead of pop?

Probably a hypothetical example.

Genre committee most likely will relegate folklore to pop field. After Hours was blocked in urban/R&B field despite the submission

45seconds
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, IAMDOM said:

That’s easily explained. Voters thought Future Nostalgia was the better POP album and thus, they voted for it. FL is Pop but it’s so indie that it’s blurry. While FN is straight up Pop and they likely thought it deserved the award for being unabashedly Pop. 

When it came to AOTY they thought that FL was the better album over all so they awarded it that award. That’s not even taking into account that she likely recurved votes from alternative voters, americana as well as siphoning votes from Pop voters as well. 

Edited by 45seconds
Severus Snape

@taylorswift This is your cue to start promoting evermore and secure a second consecutive win :keir:

Kylizzle

But doesn't his point apply more to Kanye winning the Grammy for gospel album? Kanye fans among the voters followed him to that category and voted for him, probably without even listening to the competition. 

19 minutes ago, Kylizzle said:

But doesn't his point apply more to Kanye winning the Grammy for gospel album? Kanye fans among the voters followed him to that category and voted for him, probably without even listening to the competition. 

yeah probably 

Earth Ripper
Posted (edited)

The number system is somewhat of an improvement but... Like, I don't think the people who vote in the pop categories are necessarily the most qualified to vote in them, you know what I mean? That's where the logic fails.

Anyway, the Grammy's are bs.

OT: Nothing shady about this though lol. He's right. If it turns out that folk experts do vote for folklore in the folk category, then they should decide if it deserves to win over other, less popular folk releases, not the people who only really wanna vote for the pop categories (in which they'll also vote for Taylor).

Edited by Earth Ripper