2013: Did you expect the situation to change?

biblicalmonster

ClockT
10 hours ago, Feanor said:

I did...

Hide contents

b757692ce0474548884da1e9821b1aa7.jpg

Oh, this is the real tea right here :cm:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trainsskyscrapers

• Mystic Boy

• lostcause

• MusicTalker

trainsskyscrapers
1 minute ago, lostcause said:

I’m not talking about art pop, I’m telling you Beyoncé as an album was not some “truest form of art pop” with a very trendy album that pushed zero boundaries. If anything, pure heroine (the 2013 album that out streams Beyoncé) ACTUALLY was a true piece of “art pop” that pushed boundaries and shifted the sonic footprint of the music industry. Simply pointing out how the statement is false. how did Beyoncé musically change anything? What about it was some cutting edge art? 

Deflecting to Lorde? Yikes. I respect her sound and her ability to make music for her, not the critics. A music wunderkind in the most pure form.

As for Beyoncé's 2013 influence on the music industry (ie major label music), I'm seeing fully-fledged visual albums (DJ Khaled's current album is the newest example), delayed physical album/vinyl releases, full visual accompaniments to albums (Solange, Janelle Monae), major labels taking chances on surprise albums (Taylor, Drake/Future, J Cole, Kendrick, Kanye, Rihanna, Jay-Z), albums released on Fridays, labels being smart with the utilization of Apple/Apple Music banners on release day, and further introduction of artistic short-film directors into music video making (Pierre Debusschere, Lil Internet, Ricky Saiz, etc).

Beyoncé can't take credit for all of these, but she was definitely on the cutting edge. Label execs were treating her release and the industry response to her release as a guinea pig.

lostcause
42 minutes ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

Deflecting to Lorde? Yikes. I respect her sound and her ability to make music for her, not the critics. A music wunderkind in the most pure form.

As for Beyoncé's 2013 influence on the music industry (ie major label music), I'm seeing fully-fledged visual albums (DJ Khaled's current album is the newest example), delayed physical album/vinyl releases, full visual accompaniments to albums (Solange, Janelle Monae), major labels taking chances on surprise albums (Taylor, Drake/Future, J Cole, Kendrick, Kanye, Rihanna, Jay-Z), albums released on Fridays, labels being smart with the utilization of Apple/Apple Music banners on release day, and further introduction of artistic short-film directors into music video making (Pierre Debusschere, Lil Internet, Ricky Saiz, etc).

Beyoncé can't take credit for all of these, but she was definitely on the cutting edge. Label execs were treating her release and the industry response to her release as a guinea pig.

Ok so Lorde is my fave, I’m not deflecting, you actually posted about her first. I never even mentioned Gaga or artpop in the first place, I simply responded to the post insinuating ‘Beyoncé’ was the “truest” form of art that came out in 2013. Again, it wasn’t, it’s a fun r&b/pop album twinged with trap that didn’t move music forward like, say, pure heroine. Nothing more nothing less.

everything you listed is marketing strategy, NOT the artistic integrity of the album. Once again, I implore you to read what I wrote and what I am talking about previously. She did NOT introduce the short music film, did NOT create the visual album, and may have brought notoriety to a surprise release in the 2010s, but was NOT the first big music act to do so.

Beyoncé as an album did not break new ground artistically. If anything, Lemonade is Beyoncé’s biggest artistic achievement. I like “Beyoncé” as an album more, but it did not change the art of music in some big way.

pure heroine, on the other hand, made an explosive mark on the face of music, we still hear the affects reverberate today. Nothing from Beyoncé reverberates because nothing was done musically that hadn’t already been done.

MusicTalker
1 hour ago, PoisonCandy said:

8 years later and nothing has changed really, in fact it's only gotten worse thanks to stan Twitter. It really angers me how people still continue to pit female artists against each other while male artists are able to coexist with no issues.

Same. Artists ebb and flow in popularity, that is literally human nature. The media is trash and plays us all with this sexist narrative always persists. All 3 of these girls give us life as gay men, let's not lie

queenoftheclouds

I saw the end of EDM/Pop from 2013. It couldn't stay longer. Poor Pop world. We will miss this time.

trainsskyscrapers
26 minutes ago, lostcause said:

Ok so Lorde is my fave, I’m not deflecting, you actually posted about her first. I never even mentioned Gaga or artpop in the first place, I simply responded to the post insinuating ‘Beyoncé’ was the “truest” form of art that came out in 2013. Again, it wasn’t, it’s a fun r&b/pop album twinged with trap that didn’t move music forward like, say, pure heroine. Nothing more nothing less.

everything you listed is marketing strategy, NOT the artistic integrity of the album. Once again, I implore you to read what I wrote and what I am talking about previously. She did NOT introduce the short music film, did NOT create the visual album, and may have brought notoriety to a surprise release in the 2010s, but was NOT the first big music act to do so.

Beyoncé as an album did not break new ground artistically. If anything, Lemonade is Beyoncé’s biggest artistic achievement. I like “Beyoncé” as an album more, but it did not change the art of music in some big way.

pure heroine, on the other hand, made an explosive mark on the face of music, we still hear the affects reverberate today. Nothing from Beyoncé reverberates because nothing was done musically that hadn’t already been done.

What did Lorde CREATE artistically that we didn't already see in Lana Del Rey or Lily Allen's biting lyrical/satirical style and hip-hop influenced production?

Please explain further, because Lorde's entire persona is branding as well. 

Mystic Boy
7 hours ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

. One is now a married American Idol judge 

Oh honey, this is a big reach :lmao:

I really dont think Katy had any other option since ”hasbeens” Idol judge job was the only profitable project she had in years :rip:

7 hours ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

If we're REALLY keeping it a buck, Gaga (with all of her Chromatica success), probably underperformed the largest in 2020 compared to her counterparts. She was coming from Shallow/ASIB, and the others from a country album/Dead Petz and a multi-year hiatus from music/Witness respectively.

:gaygacat3:

Imagine thinking the 4th biggest female last year according to y all faves source aka IFPI was a bigger underperformance than those huge flops :dies:

6 hours ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

It's sad... but that's all they got. A soundtrack single from the fourth remake of an already pop culture cult-classic, and an album that was heralded as the next-best-thing until it was actually released.

I hope that Gucci movie/movie soundtrack give the monsters all of the attention they so desperately crave on here.

An OST that was supposed to be the final nail in the coffin for her career according to you and your OGHs fellas. A supposed panned flop movie that screamed straight to DVD release :fan:

We love to see you all still raging over it :fan:

OT: Time the ultimate truth teller :cm:

trainsskyscrapers
3 hours ago, Mystic Boy said:

Oh honey, this is a big reach :lmao:

I really dont think Katy had any other option since ”hasbeens” Idol judge job was the only profitable project she had in years :rip:

Imagine thinking the 4th biggest female last year according to y all faves source aka IFPI was a bigger underperformance than those huge flops :dies:

An OST that was supposed to be the final nail in the coffin for her career according to you and your OGHs fellas. A supposed panned flop movie that screamed straight to DVD release :fan:

We love to see you all still raging over it :fan:

OT: Time the ultimate truth teller :cm:

Blurb A) Who CARES. She entered the music history books w/ Teenage Dream alone. The success of her previous album, as well as following up that once-in-a-lifetime album campaign with chart BEHEMOTHS "Roar" and "Dark Horse" is enough. She's set. Katy is still making mucho dinero. :sorry:

Blurb B) I'm looking at how the momentum of their last project should've propelled the new ones. To go from ASIB Soundtrack to this sales-wise is Tragic. When you add all of the HUGE people that worked on this album, it was an utter disappointment.

Blurb C) I personally never thought it would be a nail in the coffin. Pull up the facts. After Artpop AND Joanne, I knew she needed a win. 

Time is the ultimate truth-teller, because momentum-wise, Lady Gaga is at a worse place than before Chromatica came out. I really hope this Gucci movie is successful and can bring her back up. 

• #FreeBritney Activist
crf13
15 hours ago, Holiest Dreams said:

If it’s not a thread about Shallow, it’s a thread about 2013. Can y’all give these topics up to God and come up with something else?

:cm:

ot: Plastic Hearts >>>> 

• #FreeBritney Activist
crf13
15 hours ago, Holiest Dreams said:

If it’s not a thread about Shallow, it’s a thread about 2013. Can y’all give these topics up to God and come up with something else?

:cm:

ot: Plastic Hearts >>>> 

ThirdWardBey
15 hours ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

Take it up with the critics/publications  ... not with me. I argue in facts and absolutes. 

Here are the facts:

:shakeno: Artpop had:

A) A failed digital app roll-out

B) A failed SXSW performance (let's just call it #Vomitgate) to attempt to drum up attention

C) A gaudy long-form visual to try and save the day

D) A failed re-release/part 2 concept

The "fun album", on the other hand:

- Successful Digital-only Rollout

- Continued her Mrs Carter Show World Tour without a hitch (and with new music/choreography at that)

- Parlayed her 50M Pepsi endorsement into fully-financed, high quality visuals shot (quietly) during her tour

- Not only released successful re-release singles, but smartly held back her spotify/YouTube release until her job was done.

The proof is in the pudding.

#WhereIsArtpop?

:deadbanana2:

ThirdWardBey
14 hours ago, lostcause said:

No one claimed Beyoncé invented any of those things or changed the sound of music with self-titled. But you attempting to downplay it’s very obvious and easily verifiable impact on how, when, and form music has been released since is laughable. 

lostcause
7 minutes ago, ThirdWardBey said:

No one claimed Beyoncé invented any of those things or changed the sound of music with self-titled. But you attempting to downplay it’s very obvious and easily verifiable impact on how, when, and form music has been released since is laughable. 

What’s laughable is calling ‘Beyoncé’ “the truest form of art pop” :coffee2:

trainsskyscrapers
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lostcause said:

What’s laughable is calling ‘Beyoncé’ “the truest form of art pop” :coffee2:

Based on what we saw in the 2013 female pop music landscape it was though. Artistic growth in the execution of her visuals... and actually Popular music that pushed UNITS? = ArtPop.

Miley, Gaga, Katy, Demi Lovato, and Lorde excelled in one or most of both in 2013, but not at Beyonce's level. Lorde was 100% the second closest, but even her album virtually disappeared when those end-of-decade charts/publications were released.

The peak of "art-pop" is when both the art world (critics/publications/academia) and pop music industry/commerce (sales/execution) are satisfied. Art & Commerce. People also noticed that Beyoncé didn't have to pander to anyone. That's why you could call it a fun album. It wasn't considered pretentious (Another Miley, Gaga, Lorde downfall).

The fact Beyoncé can tick both art and commerce boxes, won some very impressive accolades, and did this all from the CEO desk of her own label is remarkable. I have 0 to take back. I meant every word.

Edited by trainsskyscrapers
Mystic Boy
9 hours ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

Blurb A) Who CARES. She entered the music history books w/ Teenage Dream alone. The success of her previous album, as well as following up that once-in-a-lifetime album campaign with chart BEHEMOTHS "Roar" and "Dark Horse" is enough. She's set. Katy is still making mucho dinero. :sorry:

Blurb B) I'm looking at how the momentum of their last project should've propelled the new ones. To go from ASIB Soundtrack to this sales-wise is Tragic. When you add all of the HUGE people that worked on this album, it was an utter disappointment.

Blurb C) I personally never thought it would be a nail in the coffin. Pull up the facts. After Artpop AND Joanne, I knew she needed a win. 

Time is the ultimate truth-teller, because momentum-wise, Lady Gaga is at a worse place than before Chromatica came out. I really hope this Gucci movie is successful and can bring her back up. 

a) These arguments about Katy scream desperate  :toofunny3:

I can tell the same about Gaga, her iconic career and her legacy are cemented forever.

The only difference is that Katy lost all her prestige and aura. 

Her fanbase being inexistant , she will get ZERO hype for any future project, nobody cares about her anymore hence the 4 weeks charting of Smile.

b) If anything ASIB elevated her to new heights where she ll be comfortably dwelling for a long time sweetie.

Just because Chromatica didn't replicate the immense success of ASIB ,doesn't mean it's tRaGiC.

Hardcandy and E=MC2 didn't replicate the success of their predecessors too and they re not considered failures. 

IAMDOM

Its one thing that the roles completely switched, but even more iconic that Gaga ascended to legendary status. She literally had the last laugh

Isaiah

All of them are has-beens go touch some grass 

i wonder if those drags make you feel special :rip: cause jesus the amount of anger and delusion.

OT. I always knew that gaga will bounce back and artpop will be acclaimed in retrospect. I also knew that Katy will fell off. What actually surprised me is how creative and unapologetic Miley is, I expected her to be a failed attempt at making white Rihanna like star but no, she truly found herself and made some great content, congrats.

Mystic Boy
3 minutes ago, Isaiah said:

You wish :toofunny2:

Isaiah
2 minutes ago, Mystic Boy said:

You wish :toofunny2:

:rofl:you really believe this, don’t you? 

TROJAN
On 5/2/2021 at 7:26 AM, moonlitdick said:

Please get over it.

Until you get over your obsessive hateful posts towards Gaga in several threads :sistrens:

OT: Talent always wins in the end

TROJAN
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Isaiah said:

Gaga just surpassed 1B Spotify streams in 2021 & is the 5th most streamed female this decade so far:
Edited by TROJAN