Jump to content

Does Janet lack a classic???


Recommended Posts

kindararenext

who really cares if she makes better music than half of the people on that list lol 

 

and she may not have the biggest streaming numbers but she surely has classics 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Enoch

    22

  • jdmc219

    12

  • C.Damen

    11

  • BeautifulTwistedBabe

    10

Moth 2 The Flame
1 minute ago, Chika said:

Who cares about Madonna? What I’m gathering from you response is that Janet’s streams are actually not very impressive relative to actual classics. Which simply further proves my point that Janet isn’t really remembered, even within the US. 

But isn't Madonna Janet's peer alongside Whitney in the US? Isn't Like A Prayer regarded as a classic universally here? So that is at least 1 relative comparison, and if you wanna know, Janet's streams on Pandora trounces alongside a number of other 80s female pop artists that had #1 songs in the US too (Tiffany's I Think We're Alone Now only has 36M - her highest streamed song too as well, guess she's forgotten and has no real classic either). The only true 80s female artist that trounces them all if Whitney. Mariah debuted in 90s, so I find it weird people would say she's Janet's peer when I've seen other people say Mariah isn't Madonna's peer, so it should be the same for Janet then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
jdmc219
8 minutes ago, monologueNacafe said:

It’s strange and screams racism 

Nothing but a testament to her relevance once again. If they gotta keep bringing her up out of thin air to make these meaningless posts is nothing but that testament, whether she has classics or not (which she has) means she's done what she has to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
kindararenext

“she’s forgotten” “i don’t know any of her songs” “never heard her music”

 

well i’m sorry if you have limited music taste and cant appreciate the work of legends like janet :michael:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Chika
20 minutes ago, Moth 2 The Flame said:

But isn't Madonna Janet's peer alongside Whitney in the US? Isn't Like A Prayer regarded as a classic universally here? So that is at least 1 relative comparison, and if you wanna know, Janet's streams on Pandora trounces alongside a number of other 80s female pop artists that had #1 songs in the US too (Tiffany's I Think We're Alone Now only has 36M - her highest streamed song too as well, guess she's forgotten and has no real classic either). The only true 80s female artist that trounces them all if Whitney. Mariah debuted in 90s, so I find it weird people would say she's Janet's peer when I've seen other people say Mariah isn't Madonna's peer, so it should be the same for Janet then.

If the bar that you’re comparing Janet to is Tiffany, I think that’s quite telling of Janet’s status. Also, Like A Prayer stomps every Janet song on YouTube and Spotify, both of which are more widely used in the US than Pandora.
 

Janet and Mariah are peers because they both had their prime within a few years of each other. Janet’s prime was 1986 - late 90s. Mariah’ s prime was the entire 90s. It’s the same way Shakira’s peers are Britney and Beyoncé and not Céline and Mariah, she released music in the 90s but her prime was the 2000s. Madonna, on the other hand, peaked in the mid 80s, a decade before Mariah’s peak, and Madonna’s prime was more or less over before Mariah had even debuted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
C.Damen

Wow another original thread.

 

Very creative.

 

And no Janet has lots of classics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Enoch
Posted (edited)

Imagine using streams as a measure of a classic

 

By that logic Pat Benatar are nobodies despite being as a groundbreaking queen in circles of rock

 

Huge stream numbers does not make a classic, a lot of these are just run of the mill pop hits

Edited by Enoch
Link to post
Share on other sites
Moth 2 The Flame
1 minute ago, Chika said:

If the bar that you’re comparing Janet to is Tiffany, I think that’s quite telling of Janet’s status. Also, Like A Prayer stomps every Janet song on YouTube and Spotify, both of which are more widely used in the US than Pandora.
 

Janet and Mariah are peers because they both had their prime within a few years of each other. Janet’s prime was 1986 - late 90s. Mariah’ s prime was the entire 90s. It’s the same way Shakira’s peers are Britney and Beyoncé and not Céline and Mariah, she released music in the 90s but her prime was the 2000s. Madonna, on the other hand, peaked in the mid 80s, a decade before Mariah’s peak, and Madonna’s prime was more or less over before Mariah had even debuted. 

Why not? The OP @Sharapov listed Tiffany as Janet's peer alongside a number of other 80s female artist that has 100M streamed songs on Spotify, so does that mean Tiffany's status is as big as those other 80s female artist then purely because of her Spotify streams? Also Janet's youtube channel has no official upload of the original version of Anytime, Anyplace music video (the current one is a remix) and That's The Way Love Goes was blocked worldwide until July 2019, so Janet lost an entire decades worth of official youtube views when it was originally uploaded in 2010. I Get Lonely is still blocked worldwide :rip:.

 

But next question will be what happens when Janet officially reaches 100M streams for Together Again on Spotify by the end of this year? (And TTWLG joins it a few months later?) Does that mean she will have TWO classics officially? :fish1:

Link to post
Share on other sites
C.Damen

But the better question is what the hell is up with her YouTube though?

Link to post
Share on other sites
king_queen

What Have You Done For Me Lately

Nasty

When I Think Of You

Lets Wait Awhile

The Pleasure Principle

Miss You Much

Rhythm Nation

That’s The Way Love Goes

Any Time, Any Place

I Get Lonely

Whats It Gonna Be

All For You

 

There’s a deeper reason why to why y’all disrespect her on this forum at the level that y’all do but even that has been discussed to death...

 

Stop sounding ignorant!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Chika
18 minutes ago, Moth 2 The Flame said:

Why not? The OP @Sharapov listed Tiffany as Janet's peer alongside a number of other 80s female artist that has 100M streamed songs on Spotify, so does that mean Tiffany's status is as big as those other 80s female artist then purely because of her Spotify streams? Also Janet's youtube channel has no official upload of the original version of Anytime, Anyplace music video (the current one is a remix) and That's The Way Love Goes was blocked worldwide until July 2019, so Janet lost an entire decades worth of official youtube views when it was originally uploaded in 2010. I Get Lonely is still blocked worldwide :rip:.

 

But next question will be what happens when Janet officially reaches 100M streams for Together Again on Spotify by the end of this year? (And TTWLG joins it a few months later?) Does that mean she will have TWO classics officially? :fish1:

Tiffany as an artist isn’t as big as Janet even today, but ITWAN is definitely more remembered than any Janet song globally.
 

The fact that the songs couldn’t be streamed on YouTube is actually even worse, as it shows that the streams on other platforms are actually inflated due to a transfer of demand from YouTube. Those Pandora streams are looking less and less impressive...

 

And while on that topic, streams are only impressive and useful stats in so far as they compare relatively. Having 100 million won’t make the songs classics if actual classics from the same time period are on 200 or 300 million. 100 million is an arbitrary and rather low figure to display that Janet’s streams are pretty dire, not the international standard for classicness.

Link to post
Share on other sites
TipToe

some you conveniently forgets how big the backlash she suffered was, of course that makes her discography somewhat "obscure" or hard to pass-by and be actually known by younger gens. ask any american that lived thru 80's and 90's if Janet Jackson lacks a classic and you'll get a better answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
jdmc219
2 minutes ago, TipToe said:

some you conveniently forgets how big the backlash she suffered was, of course that makes her discography somewhat "obscure" or hard to pass-by and be actually known by younger gens. ask any american that lived thru 80's and 90's if Janet Jackson lacks a classic and you'll get a better answer.

They didn't forget. They don't know or don't care. They need a narrative. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
StonedSoulPicnic

The Library of Congress says no. ATRL's opinion doesn't matter.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Moth 2 The Flame
3 minutes ago, Chika said:

Tiffany as an artist isn’t as big as Janet even today, but ITWAN is definitely more remembered than any Janet song globally.
 

The fact that the songs couldn’t be streamed on YouTube is actually even worse, as it shows that the streams on other platforms are actually inflated due to a transfer of demand from YouTube. Those Pandora streams are looking less and less impressive...

 

And while on that topic, streams are only impressive and useful stats in so far as they compare relatively. Having 100 million won’t make the songs classics if actual classics from the same time period are on 200 or 300 million. 100 million is an arbitrary and rather low figure to display that Janet’s streams are pretty dire, not the international standard for classicness.

There is no universal international standard for classicness in the first place, other than 100M that was started by youtube awarding artists for 100M views on their VEVO videos about a decade ago, and it has been used by pop culture stans as the standard since. Why else do you see threads of "so and so songs reached 100M/200M/300M on Spotify/Youtube"?

 

And Together Again begs to differ because it's a flop on Pandora (12M) but yet is approaching 100M on Spotify when it has been available on both streaming platforms for over a decade. This shows that Janet's classics internationally and in the US differs. Her R&B hits are classics within the US (3 of them 100M+) while her biggest pop hit globally is Together Again which is approaching 100M.

 

Her top music songs on Apple Music nearly mirrors her top streamed songs on Pandora, which isn't surprising given how Apple Music is more popular than Spotify in the US, which would make a case that maybe her Pandora listeners have transitioned to that music service instead of Spotify which would explain her low streaming numbers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Alaska.
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hector said:

What is it with ATRL's revisionist obsession with invalidating Janet's legacy? :deadbanana4: I feel like these threads pop up 200 times a year. 

They hate black artists. Just look at the discussions made about Prince with people calling him overrated :deadbanana2:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Alaska.
Link to post
Share on other sites
TipToe
13 minutes ago, jdmc219 said:

They didn't forget. They don't know or don't care. They need a narrative. 

that's why i said "conveniently", it serves a purpose. :mandown:

Link to post
Share on other sites
UnanimousBB16
4 hours ago, bayonse said:

Legend Whitney has many, TLC have Waterfalls and No Scrubs which are their only remembered hits

 

the rest are fads with no classics 

TLC's "Creep" has over 100M on Spotify, so it should be 3 for them.

 

People always want to pick and choose when streams matter and when they don't matter, once it comes to talk about their fav's streams. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • #FreeBritney Activist
slw84
4 hours ago, Reinvention said:

She kinda does - I am really unfamiliar with her discography and that may well be on me, but it is what it is. 

 

And yes I know I have a Madonna avatar etc but I'm not being shady - she just doesn't have any songs that made it big where I live since I've been into music since I was like 11.

Yes, I get it. 

She does tend to go in the more urban classic area: Control/Let's wait awhile/Nasty; rhythm nation; love will never do without you; that's the way love goes; i get so lonely

That said: together again is a global classic. I feel like Rhythm nation is iconic and classic but even if you don't consider it classic it is still iconic enough for people to identify as a defining Janet Jackson image. That's the way love goes is a classic I would argue globally it should be known.

 

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
bayonse
2 hours ago, Mistah.Beyonce said:

This is not true. You all say some stupid stuff that applies to you only. TLC for instance has other WELL KNOWN classics that maybe you just don’t know, Creep for instance. Janet has tons as well, not everyone likes to stream music on Spotify, some people will still pop in a CD theyve owned for decades 

those 2 sentences are so contradicting lol

 

the fact that some people still own cds of those artists does not mean that their songs are known and remembered by the new generations 

 

also Creep is not a well known classic like are you high or what's wrong with you :rip:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
madonnas

She has more than a handful of them.  She also has 4 classic albums. (if we want to be stingy) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
jdmc219
6 minutes ago, bayonse said:

also Creep is not a well known classic like are you high or what's wrong with you :rip:

 

tenor.gif?itemid=15299015

Link to post
Share on other sites
madonnas
8 minutes ago, bayonse said:

those 2 sentences are so contradicting lol

 

the fact that some people still own cds of those artists does not mean that their songs are known and remembered by the new generations 

 

also Creep is not a well known classic like are you high or what's wrong with you :rip:

 

 

Creep gets a lot of airplay on classics / rhythmic urban stations. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Marshal_ac

All For You came out in 2001, after that she served declined.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...