• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enoch

• jdmc219

• C.Damen

• BeautifulTwistedBabe

Bloodflowers.

She has classics for days, she just needs to promote them, payola them, expose them to the new audience or have past audience re-discover them

jdmc219
51 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

Anita Baker and En Vogue are fads with no classics?

Seriously...

It always jumps out. I'm telling you. :coffee2:

mlaredoperez

Absolutely. I didn’t know any song of hers besides “Together Again”

• #FreeBritney Activist
Breathe On Moi
2 hours ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

She's forgotten, that's why. She's relevant only among the ATRL gays.

I would say Scream is a pretty iconic hit though(but it's not a classic either)

#ThankYouMJ

:deadbanana4: embarrassing post I’m screaming. 

She’s a legend and an icon. 

Alaska.

Nope. In 20/30 years her most popular singles will be bigger than pretty much any pop girl that debuted since the late 00s

Moth 2 The Flame

Together Again is actually at 87.5M streams combined (5 min album version + 4 min single version). And it's projected to hit 100M combined by the end of this year with its current daily stream rate :coffee:. Will be a good time to bump up this thread in November/December.

...plus That's The Way Love Goes will also join the 100M club about 1 or 2 months after Together Again hits 100M.

ArtForFreedom

streams dont equal a classic imo.. she has a few classics

Love Will Never Do

Thats The Way Love Goes

All For You

Escapade 

Somnambulist

I don’t care what anyone says, If , Together Again, That’s the way love goes, and All for You are absolutely classics. 

Chika

She’s not actually that famous outside the US, really only known as MJs sister where I live. And no one knows any of her songs, partially because they were never big here, and partially because they aren’t big anywhere anymore. And even in the US, how can you argue that she has multiple classics with those abysmal streaming figures? How can they be classics if they were only big locally and extremely forgotten? Are songs classics simply because they were hits from a few decades ago?

Sharapov
2 minutes ago, Chika said:

She’s not actually that famous outside the US, really only known as MJs sister where I live. And no one knows any of her songs, partially because they were never big here, and partially because they aren’t big anywhere anymore. And even in the US, how can you argue that she has multiple classics with those abysmal streaming figures? How can they be classics if they were only big locally and extremely forgotten? Are songs classics simply because they were hits from a few decades ago?

Moth 2 The Flame
2 minutes ago, Chika said:

Because Spotify isn't the only streaming platform in the US? (or the world either) and Apple Music is actually more popular than Spotify there.

Her Pandora streams (a streaming service only available in the US and had been used for over a decade)

Anytime, Anyplace (182M streams)

I Get Lonely (112M streams)

That's The Way Love Goes (110M streams)

Ayanaa

Yes, I would say so. I  didn't know any Janet song until I became interested in pop culture and started checking her music out. 

Chika
1 minute ago, Moth 2 The Flame said:

Because Spotify isn't the only streaming platform in the US? (or the world either) and Apple Music is actually more popular than Spotify there.

Her Pandora streams (a streaming service only available in the US and had been used for over a decade)

Anytime, Anyplace (182M streams)

I Get Lonely (112M streams)

That's The Way Love Goes (110M streams)

And how do those compare with actual classics from the time? IWDWS, IWALY, AIWFCIY etc? My guess, the songs you listed get absolutely trounced in streams by the real classics. If you could please provide figures for contemporary classics we could compare.

Mistah.Beyonce
2 hours ago, bayonse said:

Legend Whitney has many, TLC have Waterfalls and No Scrubs which are their only remembered hits

the rest are fads with no classics 

This is not true. You all say some stupid stuff that applies to you only. TLC for instance has other WELL KNOWN classics that maybe you just don’t know, Creep for instance. Janet has tons as well, not everyone likes to stream music on Spotify, some people will still pop in a CD theyve owned for decades 

Mistah.Beyonce
2 minutes ago, Ayanaa said:

Yes, I would say so. I  didn't know any Janet song until I became interested in pop culture and started checking her music out. 

Yeah, that’s usually how you discover people. 

Moth 2 The Flame
1 minute ago, Chika said:

And how do those compare with actual classics from the time? IWDWS, IWALY, AIWFCIY etc? My guess, the songs you listed get absolutely trounced in streams by the real classics. If you could please provide figures for contemporary classics we could compare.

All three are actually higher than Madonna's highest streamed song on that platform :giraffe:

Like A Prayer (107M) her only 100M song

Anytime, Anyplace (182M) Janet's highest streamed song on there.

Hector

What is it with ATRL's revisionist obsession with invalidating Janet's legacy? :deadbanana4: I feel like these threads pop up 200 times a year. 

Ayanaa
Just now, Mistah.Beyonce said:

Yeah, that’s usually how you discover people. 

Huh? You know exactly what I mean. Certain artists just have those classics everyone knows, people who aren't interested in pop music/culture know those classics. Janet had none of those in my experience. When I was younger I already knew like 5 to 10 songs by her brother when I wasn't into pop music.

monologueNacafe
2 minutes ago, Hector said:

What is it with ATRL's revisionist obsession with invalidating Janet's legacy? :deadbanana4: I feel like these threads pop up 200 times a year. 

It’s strange and screams racism 

Chika
2 minutes ago, Moth 2 The Flame said:

All three are actually higher than Madonna's highest streamed song on that platform :giraffe:

Like A Prayer (107M) her only 100M song

Anytime, Anyplace (182M) Janet's highest streamed song on there.

Who cares about Madonna? What I’m gathering from you response is that Janet’s streams are actually not very impressive relative to actual classics. Which simply further proves my point that Janet isn’t really remembered, even within the US. 

jdmc219
9 minutes ago, Hector said:

It's nothing but a testament to her relevance! :cool::clap3:

Insanity

Who cares how many streams she has when she served quality over 3-4 decades