Does Janet lack a classic???

humbz
Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2021 at 2:24 PM, Outside789 said:

It wasn't minimum. She still scored singles and albums that were globally successful. And hit tours too.

I forgot to mention that I speak from a South America point of view, Brazil more specifically. As much as some older people recognize her stardom and of course the MJ association, she's pretty much unknown for her hit songs here. 

Edited by humbz
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enoch

• jdmc219

• C.Damen

• BeautifulTwistedBabe

Soda Pop Queen
Posted (edited)

It seems y'all do a "let's find a way to question the validity of Janet's legacy" thread every other month on this site and it's really weird. If she's so forgotten or such a non-factor why all the threads? It's not like the Jan Fam has a massive presence on this forum to bait and troll and this site also skews young in its demographics and its pop girl idolatry so I really don't get it. If you not in the know about Mutha Janet now then you likely never will be. Leave her alone.

Edited by Soda Pop Queen
whitneyhoustonlegend
Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2021 at 7:06 AM, bayonse said:

Legend Whitney has many, TLC have Waterfalls and No Scrubs which are their only remembered hits

the rest are fads with no classics 

you are not serious? or you are???? I mean, its is fine to say you dont like em, but discrediting them is....

Edited by whitneyhoustonlegend
whitneyhoustonlegend
Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2021 at 10:53 AM, jdmc219 said:

They didn't forget. They don't know or don't care. They need a narrative. 

U have no idea how difficult is to go thru the thread...  the stupidity and ignorance.... its like being dead... you don't know your stupid, just people around you suffer... i mean some of them are honest, saying "I haven't head of..." fine, but making stupid statements like "Shes irrelevant" or "forgotten" projecting their narrative... its like disease...  

iam not American and i KNOW her classics. And my country....

And since when streaming is a stamp for classics? Seriously? So, obviously, most of the artists from 60-90's are forgotten and irrelevant....

LMAO

PS. Streaming means that the artist is introduced to the new generation. Streaming and sales are 2 different worlds. One artist can be best selling in sales during their prime, but tank in streaming in the future. Streaming is like counting how much you repeat a song on CD, or vinyl... how idiotic is to compare all this?

Lets not forget the Les Moonves plan, to destroy Janet, which a lot of ATRL's follow right now... a sheep...

Edited by whitneyhoustonlegend
pinknblue
Posted (edited)

When I listened to TVR for the first time as a teen some sections of songs sounded familiar to me but I couldn’t pinpoint it. To me this means I have probably heard them as a little kid (outside of US) many times. Classics or not, I think this is enough testament to her status as a legend.

Edited by pinknblue
  • #FreeBritney Activist
Leigh

Imagine thinking Together Again, TTWLG, and All For You aren't classics :rip:

My Tears Ricochet
37 minutes ago, Leigh said:

Imagine thinking Together Again, TTWLG, and All For You aren't classics :rip:

Just because a song was a hit back in the day, won't make it a classic :rip:

Their streams proves they're forgotten and forgotten songs can't be classics:priceless:

worldwide angel
24 minutes ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

Just because a song was a hit back in the day, won't make it a classic :rip:

Their streams proves they're forgotten and forgotten songs can't be classics:priceless:

but those songs aren’t just “hits”, they’ve broken records and contributed to a legacy that people still reference to this day :celestial3:

you can’t just look at streams and disregard other means of sales, the song’s influence and their impact to denote what’s a classic or not

Jay07

Imagine being a Selena Gomez stan and thinking you have any grasp on what a classic is because StReAmS. Sit down.

whitneyhoustonlegend
4 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

Imagine being a Selena Gomez stan and thinking you have any grasp on what a classic is because StReAmS. Sit down.

And the same people will call her songs "classics" because of StrEAmS.... or that Taylor Swift is bigger legend than MJ....

Imagine, thinking all this.

Alaska.
1 hour ago, Jay07 said:

Let's see what streams will do for their faves in 20 years from now when nobody remembers them. Not everyone will survive the industry long enough to become a legacy act, especially after radio and tv bans.

Bey Admired

A song can be a classic even if you’ve never heard it. Please get that into your simple pea-sized brains. 

Enoch
9 hours ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

Just because a song was a hit back in the day, won't make it a classic

The way yall keep moving the goal post :juanny:

kissmemore

She has tons: That's the Way Love Goes, Miss You Much, Escapde, What Have You Done for Me Lately, Love Will Never Do

My Tears Ricochet
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Enoch said:

The way yall keep moving the goal post :juanny:

Nobody moved the goal post. The thread itself is about Janet having no 100M songs.

Edited by My Tears Ricochet
Enoch
4 minutes ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

100M songs.

Which is not the standard of a classic

Shelter

Together Again and That’s The Way Love Goes would be her big songs. 

My Tears Ricochet
Just now, Enoch said:

Which is not the standard of a classic

A classic should be a remembered song.

If Janet's peers like Whitney and Madonna could cross that mark with multiple songs, why couldn't Janet? 

It's just that her discography didn't stand the test of the time and she has no classics known by the public 

Enoch
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

A classic should be a remembered song.

If Janet's peers like Whitney and Madonna could cross that mark with multiple songs, why couldn't Janet? 

It's just that her discography didn't stand the test of the time and she has no classics known by the public 

Imagine thinking  the only way to recall songs is by streaming.

God forbid things like Radio:juanny: Being used as inspiration by younger artists

Edited by Enoch
My Tears Ricochet
5 minutes ago, Enoch said:

Imagine thinking  the only way to recall songs is by streaming.

Streaming is the most popular way of music consumption right now. You can't just tune into radio to listen to a Janet song when you desire. That's what streaming platforms are for. Looking at the streaming numbers, her discography isn't that remembered 

Enoch
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

You can't just tune into radio to listen to a Janet song when you desire

Its called dialing the radio  to the Adult/RnB station

And Buying her Records.

When there's a will there a way

Edited by Enoch
My Tears Ricochet
5 minutes ago, Enoch said:

Its called dialing the radio  to the Adult/RnB station

And Buying her Records.