flop albums boosted by collabs?

ariananext

ariananext

As I make many threads keeping up with a lot of albums' streams I noticed there are a lot of girls who rank high in the streaming charts thanks to one or more hits, which in some cases they were also, only featured on. Then you look at the other tracks' streams and.. they can't even crack 1M on some of them.

Ellie Goulding's Brightest Blue: 1.3B streams (8th most streamed f. album of 2020), most of the song have about 1M to 2M streams, however she attached a couple of successful collabs/droplets released in the previous year, which now make up for 73% of the album's total

Camila Cabello's Romance: 3.2B streams (thrd // of 2019) with 8 singles/promo singles. With 1.8B coming from one collaboration = 1.4B streams for the album without Senorita, despite having other 7 singles (on the other hand Shawn's album containing Senorita has more than 5.2B streams with less singles)

these are just some examples on top of my head.. can you name others? do you think it's a fair move? I don't mind when successful artists do it (ex. Dua added some songs but she had the most streamed album of the year even without the added tracks) but when irrelevant ones do that only to boost their album total, trying to make it look successful.. it looks, indeed, fraudulent.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ariananext

• My Tears Ricochet

• Virtual_Insanity

• gotportugal

My Tears Ricochet
Just now, ariananext said:

1.4B streams for the album without Senorita,

So Romance has 1.4B stream without Señorita? How is that a flop then? It has 1B streams without Señorita & My oh my

If you removed the collabs from Ariana's My Everything, then the numbers would be even lower than this. So I guess it's a flop album too, by your logic 

Sweet Sexy Savage

Dua Lipa’s first album. One Kiss, Electricity, No Lie, Lost In Your Light, Scared to be Lonely, Kiss and Make Up

Edited by Sweet Sexy Savage
2 minutes ago, Sweet Sexy Savage said:

Dua Lipa’s first album. 12/25 tracks were released as a single 

yet the biggest song is solo :)

Not Dua Lipa's first album since it already had New Rules (1.5B) and IDGAF (1.1B) so the solo success was obviously there

Sweet Sexy Savage

Sweet Sexy Savage
Just now, tost1 said:

yet the biggest song is solo :)

It only took 7/8 tries before but I love this album and I stan the music 

ariananext
Just now, My Tears Ricochet said:

So Romance has 1.4B stream without Señorita? How is that a flop then? It has 1B streams without Señorita & My oh my

If you removed the collabs from Ariana's My Everything, then the numbers would be even lower than this. So I guess it's a flop album too, by your logic 

Senorita is a track that was meant for Shawn's album, it was in fact released months before the Romance roll out even started, I don't see how 1.4B with 7 singles would be good? These are terrible stats:

My Oh My: 450M

Shameless: 133M

Living Proof: 73M (with AMAs, Jimmy Fallon and Ellen performances)

Liar: 373M

Easy: 127M (with a SNL performance)

Cry For Me: 64M (with a SNL performance)

First Man: 48M (with a Grammy performance :deadbanana4:)

on the other hand, smash solo hit One Last Time is the second most streamed single from My Everything with more than 800M streams, and ALL collabs were intended to be on her album, she didn't really steal them from anybody.

Just now, Sweet Sexy Savage said:

It only took 7/8 tries before but I love this album and I stan the music 

well yeah, she had flop singles, but if anything boosted the album it's new rules, not a collab

AxelFox
4 minutes ago, BGXKB said:

81LFx7SM8AL._SL1400_.jpg

71yYMF5sxsL._SL1089_.jpg

Lady_Gaga_-_Chromatica_(Official_Album_C

BONUS:

Hide contents

Tony_Bennett_and_Lady_Gaga_-_Cheek_to_Ch

This

Sweet Sexy Savage
1 minute ago, tost1 said:

well yeah, she had flop singles, but if anything boosted the album it's new rules, not a collab

New Rules truly revived that era when I was sure that after Lost In Your Light tanked and almost killed her debut

jOzS7pd.thumb.png.35e732f512b3741e8ddc18

NightCrawler
6 minutes ago, ariananext said:

Camila Cabello's Romance: 3.2B streams (thrd // of 2019) with 8 singles/promo singles. With 1.8B coming from one collaboration = 1.4B streams for the album without Senorita, despite having other 7 singles (on the other hand Shawn's album containing Senorita has more than 5.2B streams with less singles)

:rip:

4 minutes ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

It's just not comparable at all.

Romance non-singles (Apr 23/24):

Should've Said It 26,307,265 26,326,657 +19,392
Bad Kind of Butterflies 21,175,336 21,192,568 +17,232
Used to This 21,213,405 21,229,703 +16,298
Feel It Twice 17,691,544 17,704,952 +13,408
Dream of You 17,197,292 17,209,881 +12,589

Does this look like an album with 3B streams?? Ariana's 2014 tracks outstreaming this mess easily.

ariananext

people aren't really understanding what I meant with collab :eli: Rain On Me (example) is a Gaga song that was intended for her album. A good example of what I meant would be if Ariana was completely bombing (OP numbers) and she attached ROM to her album, despite not belonging to it.

07tandu
13 minutes ago, Sweet Sexy Savage said:

Dua Lipa’s first album. One Kiss, Electricity, No Lie, Lost In Your Light, Scared to be Lonely, Kiss and Make Up

Was gonna say this.

My Everything by Ariana as well it has 12 collabs on the album (7 if we take out the international tracks) :deadbanana4:

My Tears Ricochet
13 minutes ago, ariananext said:

Senorita is a track that was meant for Shawn's album

I don't understand how Señorita was meant for Shawn's album, when his album came out earlier than Señorita :deadbanana4:

I don't see how 1.4B with 7 singles would be good? T

You're acting as if all the 7 singles were sent to radio and were promoted extensively. Only liar, my oh my & señorita got proper push and others had 1 week TTH support at the maximum 

on the other hand, smash solo hit One Last Time is the second most streamed single from My Everything with more than 800M streams

And we all know it's because of the Unfortunate Manchester tragedy and not because of Ariana's star power or something. It was the first solo single from My Everything and it missed the Top 10 on H100 for a reason.

Never be the same was a bigger solo hit than Ariana's solo singles Baby I & Right there, both of them which bombed before My Everything. So Camila was more responsible for the success of Señorita, than Ariana for any of the original hots from My Everything before Manchester incident. 

So you either remove Romance from the OP, or add My everything too, since more than 3/4th of its streams comes from collabs

Edited by My Tears Ricochet
  • #FreeBritney Activist
idkwiam

My everything.:gaycat2:

Pop Art
16 minutes ago, BGXKB said:

81LFx7SM8AL._SL1400_.jpg

71yYMF5sxsL._SL1089_.jpg

Lady_Gaga_-_Chromatica_(Official_Album_C

BONUS:

Reveal hidden contents

Tony_Bennett_and_Lady_Gaga_-_Cheek_to_Ch

Imagine saying ARTPOP is "boosted by collabs" when its one collab hit is deleted and the only other collab on the album is the least streamed song on it. :deadbanana2: And then calling ASIB of all albums a flop. :deadbanana2: Hell, even the idea of pointing out collab albums are "boosted by collabs" makes no sense, like... :deadbanana2: Tell me you hate Lady Gaga without telling me you hate Lady Gaga teas.

6 minutes ago, lover. said:

People having the nerve to say Dua :clown:

Ikr

New Rules alone is bigger than some careers

ariananext
1 minute ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

I don't understand how Señorita was meant for Shawn's album, when his album came out earlier than Señorita :deadbanana4:

Senorita is literally Shawn's lead off his deluxe version..

You're acting as if all the 7 singles were sent to radio and were promoted extensively. Only liar, my oh my & señorita got proper push and others had 1 week TTH support at the maximum 

And we all know it's because of the Unfortunate Manchester tragedy and not because of Ariana's star power or something. It was the first solo single from My Everything and it missed the Top 10 on H100 for a reason.

Never be the same was a bigger solo hit than Ariana's solo singles Baby I & Right there, both of them which bombed before My Everything. So Camila was more responsible for the success of Señorita, than Ariana for any of the original hots from My Everything before Manchester incident. 

So you either remove Romance from the OP, or add My everything too, since more than 1/4th of its streams comes from collabs

2015 chartrun of One Last Time

Italy - #6

Czech Republic - #7

Netherlands - #8

Slovakia - #8

Belgium - #9

France - #10

Canada - #12

US - #13

Australia - #15

Poland - #15

It was always one of her biggest singles in Europe, the only countries where it got a new peak post-Manchester are UK, Spain, Ireland and Scotland. Also as I said, ALL ME collabs were intended for her albums, on the other hand, Senorita wasn't. That's why I didn't include My Oh My.