Rihanna or Taylor responsible for TIWYCF success?

Frogger17

Inspired by this Pop Crave tweet, and the Swifties and Navy arguing down in the replies:

The Navy is claiming that the song was successful mainly due to Rihanna’s star power, whereas the Swifties are saying the song literally wouldn’t exist without Taylord. Who do you agree with? Does star power make a song, or is songwriting the main component of its success?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• idkwiam

• Kramdashian

• politeone

• Marianah Adkins

Miss Americana

Taylor made it catchy... I doubt it would have gone anywhere without that undeniably swiftian oohh-ooooh-ooh chorus which rihanna doesn't even sing in some parts...Taylor does lol

Can't wait for the demo to leak.

Edited by Miss Americana
bad guy

Considering nobody knows Taylor wrote it outside of Taylor stans, and considering the GP in general doesn’t care about who writes what and only cares about who sings the songs I’d say obviously Rihanna. Especially since she was just coming off a massive #1 global smash. And because she’s Rihanna :rip:

Navy4Life
2 minutes ago, bad guy said:

Considering nobody knows Taylor wrote it outside of Taylor stans, and considering the GP in general doesn’t care about who writes what and only cares about who sings the songs I’d say obviously Rihanna. Especially since she was just coming off a massive #1 global smash. And because she’s Rihanna :rip:

I mean this. I love Taylor but GP doesn’t hear a song and Googles who wrote it. For all we know they probably think Rihanna writes her music :rip:

Edited by Navy4Life
  • #FreeBritney Activist
idkwiam
1 minute ago, bad guy said:

But who wrote it?:giraffe:

Both made it a hit. Taylor's songwriting skills make it catchy. Rihanna's angelic vocals made it a hit

Starshine

Well it is a global hiT bc of the Fenty make-up girl. Most of the GP has no clue Taylor even wrote/has backing vocals on that song. :skull: 

cuneytb

Rihanna ofcourse :biblio: 

Wtf is wrong with that fanbase :biblio: 

Imagine hearing Rihannas vocals on a song and thinking about Taylor :rip: 

Rihanna is the reason its a hit, its loved, its respected, its so huge. Taylor has cardigan.

bad guy
Just now, idkwiam said:

But who wrote it?:giraffe:

Both made it a hit. Taylor's songwriting skills make it catchy. Rihanna's angelic vocals made it a hit

But it being a hit has nothing to do with Taylor since nobody bought or streamed it because nobody knows she wrote it :rip:

And with how many great lyrics Taylor’s written over the years it’s not really a brag that she wrote this song let’s be real :rip:

Badgalbriel
1 minute ago, cuneytb said:

Rihanna ofcourse :biblio: 

Wtf is wrong with that fanbase :biblio: 

Imagine hearing Rihannas vocals on a song and thinking about Taylor :rip: 

Rihanna is the reason its a hit, its loved, its respected, its so huge. Taylor has cardigan.

Those are Taylor vocals on the song too :deadbanana2:

But yes, Rihanna made it a hit. Taylor made the song. 

Villanelle

Taylor of course. It was just so well written thay anyone could've sang it wouldve still been a hit. 

• #FreeBritney Activist
idkwiam
1 minute ago, bad guy said:

But it being a hit has nothing to do with Taylor since nobody bought or streamed it because nobody knows she wrote it :rip:

And with how many great lyrics Taylor’s written over the years it’s not really a brag that she wrote this song let’s be real :rip:

It's not bragging. It's giving credit where due.:sistrens:

cuneytb
Just now, Badgalbriel said:

Those are Taylor vocals on the song too :deadbanana2:

But yes, Rihanna made it a hit. Taylor made the song. 

Look, you had to explain that to me. 

Rihanna is the reason its big.

• #FreeBritney Activist
idkwiam
2 minutes ago, cuneytb said:

Look, you had to explain that to me. 

Rihanna is the reason its big.

At the chorus their voices are mixed together.:sistrens:

Dephira

At the end of the day only one of them gets paid for this song's success :giraffe: Miss Swift won again, I'm afraid

Edited by Dephira
Rep2000

The song existed in the first place because of Taylor. So there's that on that.

Those "but the GP doesn't know Taylor wrote this!!!" argument just proves how effective Taylor is at her job. And let's not act like this is the only hit Taylor has ever 'ghostwritten', not even in this same year lol.

Better Man was a country hit, while Kings of Leon has stated in the past that Taylor has ghost written their hit(s) before in the past.

Ratviolo

Both. Rihanna made it the hit it was and Taylor literally created the song :michael:

istan4badgalriri

2.5 Billion views & 9 million likes on a video of Rihanna (who had 3 other smashes on the charts at the time) dancing around for 4 minutes. Clear answer.

discotitzz

The song would’ve been an even bigger hit if it was Taylor instead of Rihanna, considering it was during her peak and she was still with Calvin :gaycat4: So her. But I’m glad it’s Rihanna who sings it. 

Rep2000
Just now, discotitzz said:

The song would’ve been an even bigger hit if it was Taylor instead of Rihanna, considering it was during her peak and she was still with Calvin :gaycat4: So her. But I’m glad it’s Rihanna who sings it. 

Ugh, the EDM Taylor era that got away! Funny how they tried to avoid drama by not collab, which led to a bigger drama anyway :bibliahh: