When & How Did Dua Lipa Surpass Selena Gomez?

GoodGuyGoneGhetto

Popboi.

Just now, selena_lavigne said:

I would like to see Dua's pure sales in the US versus Selena's. Does anyone have these stats?

You *just* want to compare the pure sales of an artist that debuted and was active with yearly albums during the digital era to an artist that debuted in the streaming era? :toofunny3: Even then it’s hard to track as most countries don’t even tell the breakdown to how many units are pure and how many come from streaming.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Leigh

• Virtual_Insanity

• Selena’s Bad Liar

• gotportugal

selena_lavigne
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

You *just* want to compare the pure sales of an artist that debuted and was active with yearly albums during the digital era to an artist that debuted in the streaming era? :toofunny3: Even then it’s hard to track as most countries don’t even tell the breakdown to how many units are pure and how many come from streaming.

We could do just Revival and Rare vs Self-Titled and Future Nostalgia. I’m actually curious 

but again if Dua has surpassed Selena that means that Dua’s whole career is bigger than Selena’s whole career. That is what this thread is trying to say and we have been debunking it.

Edited by selena_lavigne
Popboi.
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, selena_lavigne said:

We could do just Revival and Rare vs Self-Titled and Future Nostalgia. I’m actually curious 

but again if Dua has surpassed Selena that means that Dua’s whole career is bigger than Selena’s whole career. That is what this thread is trying to say and we have been debunking it.

According to chartmasters

Pure Sales

Revival: 815k

Rare: 215k

Future Nostalgia: 365k

Dua Lipa: 580k

There’s a 60k gap in pure sales when Revival was in 2015 :rip: the Dua figures are from January and the rerelease ever since clearly did more than that :toofunny3: 

SPS

Stars Dance: 2.4m

Revival: 4.8m

Rare: 2.1m

Total: 9.3 million

Future Nostalgia: 4.2m (outdated for months and gaining pretty much 100k units weekly on streams alone, you do the math :toofunny3: )

Dua Lipa: 10.9 m

Total: 15.1 million 

Fun fact, Dua is probably already above Selena’s SPS of K&T, AYWR, WTSGD and her 3 solo albums combined already, the gap including those was barely a million :bibliahh:

So yes, Dua quite literally has outdone Selena’s discography.

I can already picture the attempt to give more weight to the 60k gap in pure sales than to the 6 million gap with steaming added.

Edited by Popboi.
selena_lavigne
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

Pure Sales

There’s a 60k gap in pure sales when Revival was in 2015 :rip: the Dua figures are from January and the rerelease ever since clearly did more than that :toofunny3: 

SPS

Future Nostalgia: 4.2m (outdated for months and gaining pretty much 100k units weekly on streams alone, you do the math :toofunny3: )

Fun fact, Dua is probably already above Selena’s SPS of K&T, AYWR, WTSGD and her 3 solo albums combined already, the gap including those was barely a million :bibliahh:

I can already picture the attempt to give more weight to the 60k gap in pure sales than to the 6 million gap with steaming added.

34 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

Pure Sales

SPS

Selena has 6 albums tho. You didn’t include them for a reason. Thank you for the stats tho.

and the fact that with her 5th and 6th albums that Selena beats Dua’s first two shows you that Selena is bigger than Dua in terms of fan base and general hardcore interest in her.

Edited by selena_lavigne
Popboi.
19 minutes ago, selena_lavigne said:

Selena has 6 albums tho. You didn’t include them for a reason. Thank you for the stats tho.

and the fact that with her 5th and 6th albums that Selena beats Dua’s first two shows you that Selena is bigger than Dua in terms of fan base and general hardcore interest in her.

Clearly didn’t read lmao, FN + DL are above Rare and Revival in pure sales right now, Dua’s were posted in January and Selena’s are from late March. YOU were the one that asked to compare those 2 albums, so yes I didn’t include them “for a reason” :bibliahh:

What matters is that Dua’s 2 albums are on par with Selena’s 6 in SPS and will EASILY surpass her by the course of the year, but let’s avoid the facts shall we!  the fact their totals are pretty much the same when Selena has been releasing albums since 2009 and Dua since 2017 says it all.

2 hours ago, selena_lavigne said:

SelenaGomez<3
On 4/28/2021 at 8:57 PM, Stupid Love said:

The year that Hillary Clinton became the 45th President of the United States.

Miss Gomez is a legend with an extensive resume and a #1 hit under her belt. Miss Dua has a long way to go to catch up to Gomez's career, and idc how many payola driven hits she amasses.

:cm:

Miss Dua is a Payola artist so never :cm:

Zaynsus

Not some members saying "where's her #1?" when Don't Start Now is bigger than the forgotten Lose Justin to Get a #1 Hit. :rip:

OT : Since the FN era :swan:

MusicBiz234

When? With DSN.

How? More talent, better music, better performer etc. etc. etc. Dua has star power, Selena is really pretty though.

Britney Is Fierce
Posted (edited)

When? In early 2020, when Don't Start Now became a smash and Future Nostalgia era kicked off in full force.

Why/how? Selena could've competed with Rare but didn't want to, as she's clearly over this business. I believe Selena Gomez could be bigger than Dua Lipa even to this day had she milked the Revival era more during 2016, released its successor in late 2017 (the album with Bad Liar, Fetish and Wolves) and milked that until late 2018. Of course I understand she had health issues and music couldn't be her priority, it is just what it is.

Edited by Britney Is Fierce
ProPopGirlStan
On 4/30/2021 at 12:12 AM, Pink Ranger said:

At least tag me sis, I’m not crazy my mother told me so.

64A974AB-A879-4905-BBE4-FFF50641BFB6.jpe

On 4/30/2021 at 1:27 AM, Selenasworld said:

Revenge lose his mind :heart2: 

On 4/30/2021 at 2:41 AM, Pink Ranger said:

Ouch

64A974AB-A879-4905-BBE4-FFF50641BFB6.jpe

On 4/30/2021 at 10:29 AM, Virtual_Insanity said:

I clearly said Video. 

Reading is fundamental. :jonny:

On 4/30/2021 at 10:31 AM, Selenasworld said:

Video sweetie now if you said solo song MV 

On 4/30/2021 at 10:41 AM, Selenasworld said:

Yes dummy those are LEAD credits if you don't know don't speak 

On 4/30/2021 at 10:52 AM, Selenasworld said:

:sleep: you stan everyone but Selena lol do you even stan Dua Lips or?

Wolves has lead credits and release by interscope even if doesn't succeed in youtube the lyric video + the MV equals 752 M and most important it's selena's most successful single lead credits lol 

On 4/30/2021 at 10:55 AM, Virtual_Insanity said:

So what you're saying is her most successful single lead credits failed to make the list even by adding the lyric video and music video together ( which is cheating as the list is a singular unit only, not combining)  ? Thanks for clarifying. 

On 4/30/2021 at 11:04 AM, Virtual_Insanity said:

LOL the way you try and negate everything your fave lacks in . Music video streams count for the charts and for certifications actually so they are equally viable as "streams in streaming services". 

On 4/30/2021 at 11:10 AM, Selenasworld said:

YouTube is the less important metric for equivalent sales wdm lol and every ilegales MV counts for certifications not only MV so even more sense is to add the audio to the MV is IAM case, Wolves could have been bigger with a more successful MV still 456M not any bad 

Nickelodeon Rugrats GIF

Virtual_Insanity

Are the Selena stans still in here lying about her having six albums when Rare was always referred to a SG3. 

And deflecting to PuRe SaLeS in 2021. You know you've lost when you trot that out :coffee2:

More Than A Melody

Next up, “Base: when did Dua Lipa become bigger than Madonna?”

By ATRL’s definition of “bigger” Tones And I is bigger than Demi Lovato.

Track10

Wtf, this is such a bizarre comparison. Dua Lipa is a real singer and Selena Gomez is just an ex-Disney act who dated Justin Bieber at his peak.

unclefloprry

17 pages after and Dua remains bigger and better as a musician. :giraffe:
Sel is a cute celebrity I guess.

Mr. Duff

Dua is bigger she's just unstoppable and she only had just a few years under her belt.

My Tears Ricochet

Selena Gomez has 53M certified units in US, has 22 platinum singles, 8 Top 10 hits, 3 #1 albums and a #1 single. Until Dua Lipa surpasses all these, she won't be bigger than the Love you like a love song hitmaker:sorry: