VICE: "ARTPOP predicted Hyperpop"

Mirtilo
2 hours ago, tellem said:

@Robyn. 

He’s reading this thread :rip:

OT: awful take but not surprised . Everyone is trying to claim their fave started hyperpop now 

OMG :ahh:

Mr. Greenwood, we can almost forgive you for the Katy B stanning

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mirtilo

• Solar

• Robyn.

• Fnooky

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost In Paradise

Artpop is honestly mostly just watered down kpop lol

nothing near hyperpop

Hmmmm not when "My Teenage Dream Ended" by Miss Farrah Abraham exists sweaty.

Edited by XVIIII
Mastamaind

I can see some hyperpop elements/vibes from 'Aura', 'G.U.Y.', 'Swine', 'Mary Jane Holland', 'Gypsy' and 'Applause'.

TipToe

oh please, stop it. next time we're gonna see articles saying Joanne revived girly country and made Taylor go back to her roots. STOP!

Jay07
On 4/26/2021 at 8:04 PM, Cruel Summer said:

It’s a relatively new term for the style of pop music that’s evolved out of PC Music, A. G. Cook, and some associated artists such as Charli XCX and Sophie. It focuses of a kind of maximalism, attempting to embody a glitchy, artificial, and in a sense futuristic aesthetic compared to most other pop music right now. There’s a pretty good Wikipedia page on it. The narrative in this thread is essentially that the author of the original Vice article has failed to recognize that the maximalism exhibited by the album ARTPOP is distinct from, and a consequence of different factors from, that which defines what we now know as “hyperpop” - essentially that they’re very different takes on a shared core idea, where the author mistakes them for being synonymous. Some select tracks and works by Britney (Blackout, How I Roll, and a couple others) arguably serve as clearer predecessors to the sonic aesthetics and subject matter tackled by current hyperpop than ARTPOP, despite the latter’s similar intent as described by Gaga. A very important part of this discussion, which I haven’t seen posted about a lot in here, is that several of ARTPOP’s tracks were crafted through Gaga writing over a beat that the producer had already created beforehand, separating some of the original musical intent from her vision; by contrast, a lot of “hyperpop” is crafted by artists who are approaching the music from the production rather than the writing. I think that’s another key distinction here, albeit not one that makes a judgment about the quality of the material (I happen to quite like ARTPOP, just for different reasons than I enjoy Charli, for instance).

Hopefully that helps a little bit with explaining the situation at hand here. 

This is a great post. Thank you.

• #FreeBritney Activist
Lead Cenobite

The way the writer lurks :clap3::dies:

Trainwreck

loud, tacky and dated edm music =/= hyperpop.

artpop is an awful album with an even worse execution of it's concept, inconsistent visuals, grotesque costumes and overall just a chaotic mess that shouldn't have happened.

it was awful back then and it will continue to be awful. 

• #FreeBritney Activist
KeirGrey

what is hyperpop? :rip:

ryanpittman97

They were really grasping for straws with this article......

On 5/3/2021 at 9:01 AM, KeirGrey said:

what is hyperpop? :rip:

Hyperpop is a loosely-defined music movement and microgenre characterized by a maximalist or exaggerated take on popular music. 

so basically a bunch of pretentiousness aka ARTPOP