Is Taylor Swift a Genius for doing this?

Baby Judas

Me thinks she's a genius for doing this. This is how you stay relevant with the current generation, by treating the current popular kids as your babies, just like what Bey is doing with CxH. 

Yes, its genius. She's introducing them to her audience and they're introducing her to their fans/Gen Z. I'd even argue she's incorporating them to her fandom (that they're parte of) and creating some sort of "music universe"? I don't don't know if it makes sense. When Olivia drops her album people will be looking for Taylor's influence, etc. Thats what I mean. 

Genius

2 minutes ago, venuss said:

Yes, its genius. She's introducing them to her audience and they're introducing her to their fans/Gen Z. I'd even argue she's incorporating them to her fandom (that they're parte of) and creating some sort of "music universe"? I don't don't know if it makes sense. When Olivia drops her album people will be looking for Taylor's influence, etc. Thats what I mean. 

Genius

Taylor Swift musical universe

• #FreeBritney Activist
5 minutes ago, Talking Fish said:

Taylor Swift musical universe

8 minutes ago, venuss said:

Genius

As a swiftie confirm this.

Since Olivia is a swiftie made me listen to drivers license and hyped for the album.

StrangerInTheDark

You're all making me cringe, talking about Taylor like she's some kind of t-rex when she's like barely 30 and her audience is most likely also their audience :dies: the way you're all doing too much just to give a credit where it's not due and for bare minimum, perfect example of the world we live in today regarding pop music.

Not at all. She's cheapening her brand by trying so hard to be relevant to audiences she's above. Trying to convert fans of Olivia or Conan Grey onto her side is just sad.

20 minutes ago, LoveInStereo said:

Not at all. She's cheapening her brand by trying so hard to be relevant to audiences she's above. Trying to convert fans of Olivia or Conan Grey onto her side is just sad.

Period. Transparent to anyone who isn't a Taylor stan

56 minutes ago, StrangerInTheDark said:

You're all making me cringe, talking about Taylor like she's some kind of t-rex when she's like barely 30 and her audience is most likely also their audience :dies: the way you're all doing too much just to give a credit where it's not due and for bare minimum, perfect example of the world we live in today regarding pop music.

MTE, obviously there are younger fans now but people are talking about Taylor like a 16 year old from today wouldn't listen to her because she's "old", she's still as popular as ever 

56 minutes ago, LoveInStereo said:

as if olivia and conan have a whole legion of fans ... if anything she's actually helping them lmao

Edited by imsorare
1 hour ago, StrangerInTheDark said:

This :toofunny3:

1 hour ago, James_Dean said:

Period. Transparent to anyone who isn't a Taylor stan

13 minutes ago, GuyNextDoor said:

This :toofunny3:

You guys wouldn’t last long in the music business, thank God you’re not managing my fave! 

Being a pop star is about constantly expanding or finding a new audience by re-inventing yourself and keeping your image and music fresh. She did it with 1989, she did it with Rep, she did it with folklore. No, Taylor is not a “T-rex”, but she certainly would be, like y’all’s faves, if it wasn’t for her brilliant reinventions. 

Every artist reaches a point when they just aren’t relevant to people aged 10-15 anymore, kudos to Taylor for constantly delaying that point:clap3:

This

Overcrediting mediocrity 

This isn't genius, it's exploitative. She's using these two people's love for her to promote herself to their audiences. 

But this is exactly why Taylor's the biggest popstar of the last two generations. She is shameless and doesn't care who she uses to get to the top. I kind of respect it.

2 hours ago, Baby Judas said:

Me thinks she's a genius for doing this. This is how you stay relevant with the current generation, by treating the current popular kids as your babies, just like what Bey is doing with CxH. 

It’s not really the same as Bey seeing as the girls she endorses have ended up with indie success (so far) at best. Olivia is the moment! But yes, Taylor is smart for this because she’s using them but they WANT to be used. 

She's still as relevant as ever though, and I'd say Olivia/Conan and Taylor arguably share the same audience. 

I don't see how she's a "genius", she's appreciating the fact that her music has an influence on these artists and Gen Z in general. Not everything has to be calculating. 

2 hours ago, Baby Judas said:
This is how you stay relevant with the current generation,
by treating the current popular kids as your babies, just like what Bey is doing with CxH

CxH are obviously signed to Bey's label and have been for 5 years. That's a different level of mentorship and isn't opportunistic. These situations aren't related. 

TheCheetahwings
13 minutes ago, Bang Up said:

This isn't genius, it's exploitative. She's using these two people's love for her to promote herself to their audiences. 

But this is exactly why Taylor's the biggest popstar of the last two generations. She is shameless and doesn't care who she uses to get to the top. I kind of respect it.

Olivia & Taylor both gain something by the back and forth promo. It's good for Olivia to be viewed as the next Taylor because it says something about her potential, and Taylor helping that by supporting her can only help. Framing it this cynically is unnecessary when it's not like Taylor doesn't like Olivia or vice versa :rip: