You Belong With Me bigger than Single Ladies in hindsight...

07tandu

These two MVs were pitted against each other in the very infamous Kanye vs. Taylor 2009 MTV VMA debacle...

I was curious which MVs would have the biggest views today and surprisingly it was YBWM with 1.1 billion meanwhile SL has 815 million

Was "You Belong With Me" the rightful winner of that Best Female Video VMA in hindsight?

SoJro101

Pretty sure about 900M views of Single Ladies was deleted, and re-uploaded years ago. 

YBWM deserves a lot of things, a VMA over Single Ladies it did not. 

americanlife

Single Ladies is super 2008, everything about it has aged like milk. 

Bayouboy

No Single Ladies is bigger. Beyoncé has like 2 YouTube videos removed and had to restart from scratch due to her own self and it’s already caught back up again. 

The only reason You Belong with me won is because SL was already wining video of the year. If you look at all the categories and all the winners that year, it seem they allowed everyone to win an award. Bey, Brit, Gaga, Taylor, Kanye, etc. It was a EVERYBODY wins type moment. I thought that was public knowledge

My Tears Ricochet

You belong with me completely deserved that VMA. YBWM me had an original concept, it is shot beautifully and has a great story line. There is a reason why it has 1B views

Single ladies is a copy some old video, told by Beyonce herself. So it's not original. Secondly, it's just 3 women dancing in a white room for 3 minutes straights. Where is the story? Where is the creativity? If I were a boy mv>>>>

Illuminati

Yes, Single Ladies is kinda forgotten tbh

lovemehateme
2 minutes ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

You belong with me completely deserved that VMA. YBWM me had an original concept, it is shot beautifully and has a great story line. There is a reason why it has 1B views

Single ladies is a copy some old video, told by Beyonce herself. So it's not original. Secondly, it's just 3 women dancing in a white room for 3 minutes straights. Where is the story? Where is the creativity? If I were a boy mv>>>>

Beyonce could do YBWM but could Taylor do Single Ladies? No.

That being said both are cute videos and both won an award. Bey actually won 3. :clap3:

Bayouboy
3 minutes ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

It was a non stop dancing craze video all in one take. Name another artist that did that besides a Michael Jackson? YBWM looks like another generic teen movie. 
Meryl Streep Florals For Spring GIF

My Tears Ricochet
1 minute ago, lovemehateme said:

Beyonce could do YBWM 

No. She can't 

Bayouboy
1 minute ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

No. She can't 

Even Selena Gomez can pull off a YBWM :rip:

Gagaretha
2 minutes ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

No. She can't 

Why Don't You Love Me says Hi

My Tears Ricochet
1 minute ago, Bayouboy said:

It was a non stop dancing craze video all in one take

It wasn't shot all in one take. Anyone with eyes can see the multiple cuts in between 

Baby Boy

YBWM video’s official upload date is a month after the video dropped. So almost all of its views are recurrent + when it was an actual hit.

Meanwhile SL’s video’s official upload date is a whole year after the video dropped so all of its views are recurrent. 

Had VEVO always been around, SL would have more views given how viral it was upon release. 

I’d say Single Ladies is the more iconic video whereas YBWM is the more remembered song.

As for who deserved the VMA. Either one tbh. SL had a bigger impact at the time. But I’d rather watch YBWM today. Once SL wasn’t a hit anymore, it’s kind of a boring video. Not to mention the entire concept & choreo was stolen.

Bayouboy
1 minute ago, My Tears Ricochet said:

It wasn't shot all in one take. Anyone with eyes can see the multiple cuts in between 

Yes they cut all 4 takes and merged them into one. Simplicity at its finest. Which is why it’s one of the best videos of all time. YBWM is nowhere near that titles. 

Mr. Blue_Shirt

Yeah and also Beyoncè got the VOTY that night so it was a double win for both ladies :clap3:

Not yall ignoring the amazing choreography in Single Ladies for a teenage movie scene from YBWM

byzantium

YBWM is a classic that like most of Taylor's discography has aged well.  SL is dated.  

Talking Fish
36 minutes ago, lovemehateme said:

Beyonce could do YBW

:rip: Im sorry but Beyonce playing a school girl in a march band having a crush on some rando at 30 yo would be RIDICULOUS

Edited by Talking Fish
worldwide angel

beyoncé is yet again thee standard :cm: 

lovemehateme
3 minutes ago, Talking Fish said:

:rip: Im sorry but Beyonce playing a school girl in a march band having a crush on some rando at 30 yo would be RIDICULOUS

My point still stands. Beyonce could do a music video with a storyline but Taylor couldn't dance like Bey in SL.

OnlyManInTheWorld
8 minutes ago, byzantium said:

YBWM is a classic that like most of Taylor's discography has aged well.  SL is dated.