If Rihanna never recorded Umbrella?

Iaintsorry

Where do you think queen would be today if she had not recorded Umbrella and maybe Britney did instead :eddie:)? Would she still have had the opportunity to score the strings of hits that followed after Umbrella? What do you think could have been a lead single off GGGB? What would her career trajectory have looked like from then to now? 

Keep in mind, the label was considering dropping her right before Umbrella smashed

Edited by Iaintsorry

Don’t Stop The Music would’ve been the lead and would’ve spent a couple weeks at #1 

Chris Brown was already dating Rihanna by then so he still would’ve given her “Disturbia” and Neyo with “Take A Bow” so the rest of the era would’ve still smashed tbh 

Edited by CristianGarcia
Just now, brainmaniac said:

She would be wherever Shontelle is nowadays

Rih already had #1s and #2s and Unfaithful did quite well too. She would have scored a moderate 3rd era like people like Christiana Aguilera then the 4th era would have determined whether or not she would survive the industry. 

• #FreeBritney Activist
13 minutes ago, Iaintsorry said:

Where do you think queen would be today if she had not recorded Umbrella and maybe Britney did instead :eddie:)? Would she still have had the opportunity to score the strings of hits that followed after Umbrella? What do you think could have been a lead single off GGGB? What would her career trajectory have looked like from then to now? 

Lemme Get That would’ve smashed. 

2 minutes ago, Chaos Angel said:

She would probably still have a similar career trajectory but a big piece of her legacy would be missing. Umbrella is just that song.

Same. Just picturing Rihanna without Umbrella doesn’t sit well with me. :doc: it really was a pivotal moment....

Edited by CristianGarcia

Her career wouldn’t be different l. Rihanna is bigger than any one of her songs.

She had enough hits on GGGB and features at the time (LYL) to launch to superstardom without Umbrella.

Umbrella is a bop though and I’m glad it exists.

duybeeGAshantiGA

No one knows tbh. It's the song that shot her to stardom, it's vital to her career.. if it's another huge hit of her like Diamonds, Rude Boy, Whats My Name, S&M, even WFL... It'd be just a little loss but Umbrella was HER TRUE BREAK OUT SONG TO SUPER STARDOM.

GGGB era would still be huge

Don't Stop the Music would've been the first single and smashed

Breakin' Dishes would've had a chance to be released as a single and became another Rihanna classic

GoodGuyGoneGhetto

Well...

She would have had another song become a smash hit and her signature in its place.

This is like asking where Spears would be without “BOMT/Toxic” or Aguilera without “GIAB/Beautiful” or Swift without “LS/SIO”. 

32 minutes ago, CristianGarcia said:

Don’t Stop The Music would’ve been the lead and would’ve spent a couple weeks at #1 

Chris Brown was already dating Rihanna by then so he still would’ve given her “Disturbia” and Neyo with “Take A Bow” so the rest of the era would’ve still smashed tbh 

Came here to type this 

Edited by dirrtydiana

If Britney had Umbrella I don't even think it would've been the smash it was. The amount of charisma and style is just so...Rihanna. 

But if Umbrella never existed I guess she'd have DSTM or some other GGGB smash to fall back on. Or a whole other song with Jay-Z would've existed :michael:

Umbrella was really pivotal to her earlier success and was a cross format smash. I think that while DSTM would have been even bigger than it is now as the lead, it wouldn't have received any spins from urban radio. The same goes for Breaking Dishes as the second single.

Rihanna's strength has been in that multi format success, so she may have had to release Take A Bow or Hate That I Love You soon after DSTM or a dual release perhaps.

Overall the era would have done great but would be missing it's center piece

RussianRoulette

Honestly Umbrella is catchy but Rihanna made it chatchy and the classic that it is.

I remember some british singer once said she stole it from him and then some other people saying Britney was supposed to sing it, idk i just don't see them singing it. It was perfect for her because she never sang the most unique songs (early in her carreer, don't try it) but she made those song hers. With her raspy tone and her style and emotion.

3 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Breakin' Dishes would've had a chance to be released as a single and became another Rihanna classic

Nah Rehab would’ve been moved up instead of being released in the tail end of the era.

Imagine going from unfaithful and break it off straight into rehab and don’t stop the music. The GP wouldn’t be breathing :jonny5:

Edited by CristianGarcia

Rihanna was destined to be a star she already had WW hits before Umbrella, so honestly not much would've changed. She would've released another smash from GGGB.