Demi Lovato is the Jessica Simpson of the ex-acts

blackoutbaby

Out of the ex-acts (Miley, Demi, Ariana, and Selena), Demi Lovato is the least successful by far. She's the only one to have never gotten a #1 hit, let alone even a top 5 hit. Even during her Disney days she was overshadowed by much bigger television programs and seen as that one girl who always followed the Jonas Brothers around like a groupie.

Similarly, during the late 90s and early 00s, we saw an emergence of bubblegum pop sensations - with Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and the less successful of the bunch, Jessica Simpson. Jessica had a couple of hits like Demi (IWLYF actually went top 3, and then she had Irresistible and With You), but was left in the shadow of her two much more successful contemporaries. She also lowkey had a groupie image, but with 98 degrees instead of the Jonas Brothers.

These similarities can't be overlooked. Is history repeating itself in pop music? Discuss.

:celestial5:

ReverseWarholian

Demi's lasted way longer in music than Jessica though and saw more stability in her career despite not having a massive peak era. 

Jessica the recording artist was an absolute done deal by her 4th album. Demi's put out 7 records and is still doing alright? :michael:

10 minutes ago, wren said:

How about Mandy Moore? She should be listed in this group as well. She debuted like same time - I'd almost say she has a Mandy Moore type career. 

Mandy's career as a whole is still very successful (This Is Us). 

Anyway Demi is fine. Her tours gross a lot iirc. Shes not a huge seller but she still gets tons of contracts. Isn't she also confirmed to star in a new tv show on eating disorders for NBC?

Edited by Gagaretha
  • #FreeBritney Activist

If people are calling Demi the Jessica Simpson of the ex-acts then I guess it’s only fair to call Selena Gomez the JLo :rip: 

worldwide angel
4 minutes ago, Cute said:

The difference is Jessica sits on a billion dollar clothing line wheres Demi is taking snapchats of a rat in her backyard 

****squirrels :cm: 

• #FreeBritney Activist

Also the thing about Jessica is that despite being “irrelevant” her tell-all book went #1 and was lauded by critics. If Demi decided to write a tell-all book no one but her fans would read it considering she’s talked about her life too many times to the point where it could fill three books :rip: 

7 minutes ago, Egon Schiele said:

I think Jessica is more charismatic and liked than Demi 

Jessica had bigger hits, a hit reality TV show, and now runs a billion dollar fashion empire. This comparison is insulting. 

Demi can be Hoku

12 minutes ago, CandleGuy said:

Jessica had bigger hits, a hit reality TV show, and now runs a billion dollar fashion empire. This comparison is insulting. 

Demi can be Hoku

hoku had BOPS

the first MPG i ever stanned 

your hitchhiker

Demi’s career has been stable her whole career for the most part and obviously with better handling she could be way bigger. Not her fault. She has classics, she’s well known, she talented. She’s doing just fine honestly. Her album is probably gonna debut top 3 with no hit single or playlisting and has sold around 35k pure which is on par with Ariana and Justin :michael: had there had been a hit (or proper single at that) and better playlisting she’d probably have her biggest debut

11 minutes ago, CandleGuy said:

Demi can be Hoku

Jessica. Bigger hits than Demi? :bibliahh: she only has 3 platinum certifications for a single outside the US and they’re all in Australia.

She was nowhere close the likes of Britney and Christina music wise, Demi ain’t THAT outrageously behind Selena to make this comparison a thing :rip:

31 minutes ago, vuelve88 said:

Jessica Simpson is extremely successful. The OP is trash. :cm:

I'm talking music career wise. Thank you for personally insulting me, though.

Ironically Ariana can't be the Britney but she's both Britney and Christina in the sense that she's the biggest but also sings amazingly and knows how to move :deadbanana2: