IFPI: Gaga bigger than Dua in 2020, why?

Shendelzare

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gotportugal

• jijie101

• Cain

• halcyonday

Artistofthedecade
On 4/7/2021 at 6:30 PM, gngzack said:

considering the top 2 artists on the list. Fan carried things like mass buying pure copies generate a lot of revenue even if it doesn't actually amount to being culturally relevant and consumed. 

Something is not adding up... 

On 4/7/2021 at 6:50 PM, Music2002 said:

I know. It bothers me when Swifties try to convince themselves that Lover is bigger than TUN because Lover has more pure sales, despite TUN having billions of more streams. Taylor debuted in 2006, so her fans are older and continue to buy pure sales, but the thing is that they don't actually use those copies. Even Positions outstreamed folklore already. Same thing goes for BTS and their stans buying 2349241 copies, despite their US streams being quite underwhelming.

With Gaga, her fans bought pure sales as just some collectibles, but the streams suggest that Chromatica wasn't particularly the moment of 2020.

Spotify is not only platform. Just because 1 song or album outstreamed other one there doesn't mean it did in general too. 

Taylor was #8 most streamed artist in Spotify but she is #2 WW. Bad Bunny was #1 in Spotify but out of top 3 WW. 

Global streaming market is much bigger than Spotify. 

OT : Well the answer is clear, it is because of Gaga's back catalogue.

But i agree Dua is not as big as some people think here. She is not only weak in pure sales but she is also not smashing in platforms like Apple/Amazon or local streaming platforms(of Asia mostly). Most of her success comes from Spotify so it is understandable she was not top10 like Billie. But it is not only because of "revenue aka pure sales" like some people claim here. 

mx9YNDL.gif

3 hours ago, Pop Art said:

Point is, yes, Gaga has a larger back catalog, that is undeniably true — but the difference between the two isn't nearly as wide as some of you are trying to paint just to drag Gaga. :dies:

I disagree.

The gap is still wide, but the catalogue is irrelevant here. Reason here is Gaga has an established fanbase. This is why the likes of Beyonce, Taylor Swift, to an extent Britney, draws in more pure sales is because they existed during the 'pure' era which has a much bigger weight than streaming. When we compare these popstars to the likes of Dua Lipa, their pure sales to streaming ratio varies significantly.

Dua started in the height of the streaming era. Of course her sales are weak, she didn't establish a fanbase during her first album, just like Gaga. Gaga started establishing her fanbase during the The Fame Monster era, which is an extension of her debut era, but nonetheless, and technically, her second. Dua is slowly establishing a fanbase following the critical success of Future Nostalgia, the success of her singles, and her significant growth as a performer.

To sum it down, Dua has just begun. Her debut era was all about New Rules, just like Carly Rae's debut was all about Call Me Maybe. These songs were bigger than the artists. Now that Dua has shown growth as an artist and a performer, she is slowly building a reputable brand with a fanbase to follow suit if she keeps the momentum going. The only difference about Dua and Carly Rae here is that Dua not only focused on her music but also on promoting her record in such a manner that would cater to the public, which is never a bad thing. In fact, all these popstars, Britney, Gaga, Beyonce did the same thing during their peaks. You can't also say that Dua is being shoved down people's throats when they actually like the stuff she puts out.

Levitating is a 6-month old single which has been doing significantly better on the latter parts of its single run than the former. Same thing happened with Don't Start Now. Both are organic hits. Some people would say she had a boost from the Grammys, true, but who else served this longevity 3 weeks after the Grammys? It's only her music. Some of the nominees had boosts on the first week but fell, but hers is still going strong.

Sorry about the essays, I'm not saying Dua had a better 2020 than Gaga, because numbers say otherwise, I'm just laying down the facts. It seems like 2021 would be a better year for Dua given the strong performance of Levitating and Future Nostalgia on the charts.

7 hours ago, Marla Singer said:

OGH indirectly admitting the popularity and longevity of Gaga's back catalogue in order to explain this is absolutely glorious. :ahh:

OOOOOOOOPPPPPSSSSS:bibliahh:

8 hours ago, Marla Singer said:

OGH indirectly admitting the popularity and longevity of Gaga's back catalogue in order to explain this is absolutely glorious. :ahh:

Ikr? This thread is GOLD :ahh::ahh::ahh:

9 hours ago, halcyonday said:

Ariana is in fact bigger than Dua. What's shocking here? She single-handedly carried your fave and Bieber to success last year. #ThankYouAri :sadviolin:

I think Bieber has shown he doesn’t need ariana grande, she had her time and she still hasn’t come close to outselling.

changes down bad

10 hours ago, katara said:

Another reason why IFPI is useless and outdated. They simply don't reflect at all what really was consumed more.

They literally do, they track all forms of consumption lmao. Just because it doesn’t fit your narrative doesn’t mean it’s useless and outdated :dies:

Edited by Headlock
On 4/7/2021 at 11:30 AM, gngzack said:

That would make sense I guess, considering the top 2 artists on the list. Fan carried things like mass buying pure copies generate a lot of revenue even if it doesn't actually amount to being culturally relevant and consumed. 

Taylor’s literally the second highest streamed artist of 2020 per IFPI, if that is not being culturally relevant and consumed than please tell me what is, gngzack :cm:

And only on ATRL is having a fan base a bad thing. Y’all do realize that is what every single artist strives for, your faves included :dies:

Edited by Headlock
10 hours ago, halcyonday said:

Side To Side was bigger than ROM :bibliahh:

Troy has no zero chart power. Miley and Lana not only always bomb on the charts but also their fans hated the song.

So combine Ari carrying the song with Gaga's 1st week power and she got lucky the GP didn't say NO like to her every solo single since TEOG. :sadviolin:

10 hours ago, moonlitdick said:

The song needed to be a hit to get that Grammy nomination, and it was a hit because of Ariana Grande, so really Ariana is to thank here. :clap3:

Having a solo #1 smash (Gaga hasn’t had one since an entire decade ago) all over the radio during voting surely also helped. 

#ThankYouAriana

Did I mention her album is already platinum in only 5 months? Has Chromatica done this yet?

The anger and delusion to go offtopic and bring Katy into this, because you have no arguments. Typical low for the monsters. :bibliahh: Seethe while adults are having conversations! 

Dua remains unbothered :sadviolin:

You're proving my point :sadviolin:Once again you're going offtopic trying to project your own feelings. You truly should listen to your own advice and let others have conversations about topics that they don't need to change when they lack arguments :sadviolin:I consider you ENDED like Katy's career, seethe!

Future Nostalgia remains THE bigger era. :zzz: Gaga's catalogue clearly helped her here.

The anger.....The struggle.....The excuses :lmao:

The way they didn't even expect her to be Top30. Another iconic thread to add to the long list of backfires :lmao:

Even the usual suspects didn't dare to step a foot here :lmao:

23 hours ago, Rodrighost said:

8 albums vs 2 albums :cm:

It's always the brit fans...:toofunny2:

#5 - Billie - 1 album :coffee:

ot: Gaga being top5  in 2018, top4 in 2019 and 2020,  A LEGEND 

On 4/8/2021 at 2:27 AM, tde said:

The chromatica dildo bundles finally cleared 

if they actually existed. worry about your fav's "signed" mp3 songs:heart:

monster_enriquer
On 4/8/2021 at 4:08 PM, Marla Singer said:

:bibliahh::bibliahh::bibliahh:

So haters went from, Gaga having a forgotten discography to having a big remembered catalogue apparently.

The way every narrative they try to use to bring her down, backfires against them :ahh:

On 4/8/2021 at 7:38 AM, Marla Singer said:

:bibliahh: