Taylor Swift - "Mr. Perfectly Fine (From The Vault)"

style17
3 hours ago, Achilles. said:

I was surprised to see the universal acclaim for this one... and then I wasn't.

Further proof of a deep generational chasm that divides ATRL into two camps; the twentysomething pop sophisticates with 15 to 20 years of top-shelf pop consumption to their name, and an unruly kid crew with Daenerys Targaryen avatars and tributes to Ariana Grande in their signatures. It's not that the latter generation is a lost cause entirely, but they've clearly never heard a "Taylor" — that is, they've never encountered a voice quite as distinctive as Taylor Swift’s. "But I know Taylor! 1989 was the first album I bought!" First off, ask for a refund. And no, you don't know Taylor, you know a very stilted and subdued version of the iconic performer.

The Taylor of "Mr Perfectly Fine" is Taylor as Taylor is intended to sound. She very skillfully vacillates between a range of tones; she is nasally, then guttural, then grainy, then nasally again, then delicate. (And yes, that's how she's supposed to do it.) She's sultry. She's goofy. She's sounds slightly absurd. She's fully engaged. She's expressive in ways that "technically superior" vocalists just aren't. She is brilliant. You have no idea how brilliant she is.

This is probably the purest attempt Taylor has made to harness some of that ineffable charm that made her early work so irresistible. I adore it.

:ahh:

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hunter_13

• Buffy

• Bamboo

• Juanny

Billionaire

Oh wow, this is already better than YAOM. It's so nostalgic.:jonny5:

Thank you Jack Antonoff for the outstanding production:clap3:

Edited by Billionaire
Starchild
12 hours ago, Achilles. said:

Further proof of a deep generational chasm that divides ATRL into two camps; the twentysomething pop sophisticates with 15 to 20 years of top-shelf pop consumption to their name, and an unruly kid crew with Daenerys Targaryen avatars and tributes to Ariana Grande in their signatures. It's not that the latter generation is a lost cause entirely, but they've clearly never heard a "Taylor" — that is, they've never encountered a voice quite as distinctive as Taylor Swift’s. "But I know Taylor! 1989 was the first album I bought!" First off, ask for a refund. And no, you don't know Taylor, you know a very stilted and subdued version of the iconic performer.

The Taylor of "Mr Perfectly Fine" is Taylor as Taylor is intended to sound. She very skillfully vacillates between a range of tones; she is nasally, then guttural, then grainy, then nasally again, then delicate. (And yes, that's how she's supposed to do it.) She's sultry. She's goofy. She's sounds slightly absurd. She's fully engaged. She's expressive in ways that "technically superior" vocalists just aren't. She is brilliant. You have no idea how brilliant she is.

This is probably the purest attempt Taylor has made to harness some of that ineffable charm that made her early work so irresistible. I adore it.

Omg:bibliahh:

• ATRL Moderator
13 hours ago, Achilles. said:

A classic :rip: 

13 hours ago, Achilles. said:

Oh my God :ahh:

Dolce Vita

i LOVE THIS :weeps: it’s so late 2000s in the best way 

will this be treated like a single? I hope it gets a cute mv and some radio play. It's so cute :emofish: 

• ATRL Moderator
12 minutes ago, IBeMe said:

will this be treated like a single? I hope it gets a cute mv and some radio play. It's so cute :emofish: 

I feel like it should. It's so good!

2 minutes ago, Juanny said:

I feel like it should. It's so good!

right? it could do well too. I hope she considers it.

oscar13

this deserves a single treatment but we all know 13 crickets won't even care at all :dancehall3: