Britney incorporated black art as an influence in her music

And didn't have to black fish or steal credits from black writers to do it :clap3:

Edited by Bussea
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gagaretha

• abrahamjmr

• slw84

• FreeXone

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t think the girl knew who made her music for her to be considered “influenced”.  

For that she would have made a conscious decision to include those “influences”, it’s just a coincidence and her team picked out whatever songs that happened to be influenced or made by black people to use and throw in an album so she can make money. 

modeblock
4 hours ago, FreeXone said:

Britney's biggest influence was always Janet Jackson and Paula Abdul...I never saw Madonna in her AT ALL

I think the Jacksons are her biggest influence. Michael and Janet. I don't see Paula, and she's not needed because both Jacksons are consummate expressive natural dancers wbk.

Edited by modeblock

She was still very much a white girl making pop music at the end of the day. 

The difference is nowadays people are putting on Black American culture like a costume and it's weird, including ponytail who has already been mentioned. 

There's a reason the Black American community uses people like Bobby Caldwell and ****, too. 

5 hours ago, Control1986 said:

where is the credit for Aaliyah's snake? 

tenor.gif

She didn't come up with it so why would she get credit?

tenor.gif

modeblock
25 minutes ago, Wicked said:

She was still very much a white girl making pop music at the end of the day. 

The difference is nowadays people are putting on Black American culture like a costume and it's weird, including ponytail who has already been mentioned. 

There's a reason the Black American community uses people like Bobby Caldwell and ****, too. 

True, there's a way of being very much a white artist who is HEAVILY influenced by black culture without being a disrespectful piece of **** putting Black culture on like a clip-on ponytail or a two-week Carribean getaway island accent. 

Edited by modeblock
  • #FreeBritney Activist
12 hours ago, PrettyHurts said:

true, blackout was made by black ppl

Bloodshy and avant jr totem and Kara doofuses I are welcomed to my cookout anytime.

the beauty is Britney gave credit never stole credit and passed it off as her own and whether of not it’s a black or white person it’s good to know Britneys masterpiece blackout never suffered those allegations.

blessings.

11 hours ago, Sugar-Rush said:

I love Britney, but it irks me slightly that when she uses Black songwriters and producers, it's called being "influenced" by Black art, but when other White artists do it, it's called "cultural appropriation". :biblio: The double standards by the media and pop culture "experts" is annoying.

Reminds me of how Madonna got away with blatantly copying female movie stars by calling it an "homage", but whenever Gaga was inspired by Madonna, it was considered "stealing". :rip:

You can tell when a stan of another base is just going off on a tangent.

influence is taking from the best and making it your own 

flip it don’t just do the same thing with it and pass it off to a new generation.

maybe that’s why Britney gets the praise and not the shame 

• #FreeBritney Activist
5 hours ago, FreeXone said:

Britney's biggest influence was always Janet Jackson and Paula Abdul...I never saw Madonna in her AT ALL

The bias is evident, luv

from her debut single she was influenced by Janet Madonna and michael and add paula Abdul 

janet for the awe inspiring choreography and ability to command stage presence 

madonna for the controversy and sexuality provocation

michael for the impressive stage shows and one of a kind tier 1 visuals and concepts/outfits/styling that would make her memorable. 

paula for the nonthreatening cheerleader girl next door appeal.

modernized into a souther belle 90s teen female.

Janet has been her influence musically the most. Brand wise it’s Madonna.

5 hours ago, 07tandu said:

so are non-black people allowed to "incorporate black art" into their music or not? I remember Miley getting dragged for this a few years ago despite her stating she appreciated black artists...

Appropriating and appreciating are two different things, luv

miley and xtina putting on different accents and changing their demeanor to appear edgy versus cheerleader Britney continuing to be cheerleader Britney but exploring different sounds and giving credit where it’s due.

I agree, but lets not pretend that Twitter wouldn't immediately cancel her if she dropped "I'm A Slave 4 U" today. 

americanshameless
7 hours ago, Gagaretha said:

Agreed. No offense, I love Britney but Gaga wrote songs that were pitched to Britney and they even kept Gaga's vocals on Quicksand. And somehow Gaga was the only one constantly attacked for using the Madonna style...

No one gives a **** about this ugly bonus track :rip: 

13 hours ago, PrettyHurts said:

true, blackout was made by black ppl

That’s why it slaps. BLACK excellence :jonny5:

SavagePapi
32 minutes ago, Pop said:

I agree, but lets not pretend that Twitter wouldn't immediately cancel her if she dropped "I'm A Slave 4 U" today. 

What won't Toxic Twitter cancel? :skull:

americanshameless
40 minutes ago, Pop said:

S4U Black Twitter’s favourite song in 2021 :sorry: 

Edited by americanshameless
Shinning

What a privilege for black artists to be included in Britney Spears music!

Beautiful Garbage
4 minutes ago, Shinning said:

What a privilege for black artists to be included in Britney Spears music!

She totally embraced Janet Jackson by incorporating her fashion, sound, concept, dance moves and choreography and even working with the same people Janet used to work with. Everything Britney Spears portrayed was sort of "copied and pasted" from Janet Jackson. 

The only difference is that Britney is a pop artist and pop music resonates more with a younger audience. Kids at the time thought Britney was original but the people who grew up with Janet were quick to notice the similarities, thus calling her out. What Britney did was to do what Janet does but with a sound which would be much more friendly and catchier to the young audience to consume. 

However, the media didn't pick that up and insisted in labeling Britney as "the new Madonna", which is disrespectful to Janet who clearly was the blueprint here. It wasn't necessarily Britney's fault but it is baffling and somewhat upsetting how Janet didn't really get the credit she deserved when Britney peaked by the media, given that everything Britney is/was an artist was because of Janet, more than anyone else. 

Control1986
45 minutes ago, Beautiful Garbage said:

She totally embraced Janet Jackson by incorporating her fashion, sound, concept, dance moves and choreography and even working with the same people Janet used to work with. Everything Britney Spears portrayed was sort of "copied and pasted" from Janet Jackson. 

The only difference is that Britney is a pop artist and pop music resonates more with a younger audience. Kids at the time thought Britney was original but the people who grew up with Janet were quick to notice the similarities, thus calling her out. What Britney did was to do what Janet does but with a sound which would be much more friendly and catchier to the young audience to consume. 

However, the media didn't pick that up and insisted in labeling Britney as "the new Madonna", which is disrespectful to Janet who clearly was the blueprint here. It wasn't necessarily Britney's fault but it is baffling and somewhat upsetting how Janet didn't really get the credit she deserved when Britney peaked by the media, given that everything Britney is/was an artist was because of Janet, more than anyone else. 

Without Janet there is no Britney but she did not get the credit, it's very unfair but racism is real. 

• #FreeBritney Activist
abrahamjmr
9 hours ago, Triton said:

I don’t think the girl knew who made her music for her to be considered “influenced”.  

For that she would have made a conscious decision to include those “influences”, it’s just a coincidence and her team picked out whatever songs that happened to be influenced or made by black people to use and throw in an album so she can make money. 

Britney wasn't probably that involved in her music during her first two records, but she definitely started being from the third one one. 

She always knew the type of music she wanted for her albums. Blackout, which her most urban album to date, was executive produced by her. 

Her label always found ways to screw up the direction she had taken for Britney and Femme Fatale. 

YourHonesty
4 hours ago, Beautiful Garbage said:

The “next Madonna” label was very of its time. Britney’s popularity, controversy, provocations, scrutiny, and overall relationship with the media were extremely reminiscent of Madonna’s, probably more so than any female artist before or since. Britney’s team realized this was advantageous for marketing and pushed the narrative even further. Not to mention Madonna and Britney took on a friendly, mentor/mentee relationship, which also helped.

But now that moment had passed and we’re left with just the songs and performances which clearly point to Janet being a major influence as well, if not the dominant influence overall.

cypriotpcdfan
11 hours ago, 07tandu said:

so are non-black people allowed to "incorporate black art" into their music or not? I remember Miley getting dragged for this a few years ago despite her stating she appreciated black artists...

Not true.

This is something that many white artists do,especially those that start off as 'the good and pure lil' pop star'. Then, they enter their 'edgy, dark, good girl gone bad' phase, which is mostly them going urban/hip hop/r&b, basically exploiting black culture, then when they enter their 'let's clean my image' phase, they talk against it. Miley is the perfect example. When she was done with her 'rebellion' image, he attacked Rap/hip hop because she wanted to clear her image

NotAvaMax
18 hours ago, Sugar-Rush said:

I love Britney, but it irks me slightly that when she uses Black songwriters and producers, it's called being "influenced" by Black art, but when other White artists do it, it's called "cultural appropriation". :biblio: The double standards by the media and pop culture "experts" is annoying.

Reminds me of how Madonna got away with blatantly copying female movie stars by calling it an "homage", but whenever Gaga was inspired by Madonna, it was considered "stealing". :rip:

I understand this but especially for her time she gave credit. I remember how much she praised the producers on Blackout and talked about how much an "urban" sound pushed her (controversial term now but not then). 

Meanwhile just a few years earlier Gwen was appreciatiateing Japenese culture by having a group of silent asian girl follow her around :deadbanana4:

For our time's standards Britney clearly didn't do enough but for the subpar standards of the early 2000s she did more than most white popstars to recognize they didn't invent things that they were influenced by.

07tandu
1 hour ago, cypriotpcdfan said:

This is something that many white artists do,especially those that start off as 'the good and pure lil' pop star'. Then, they enter their 'edgy, dark, good girl gone bad' phase, which is mostly them going urban/hip hop/r&b, basically exploiting black culture, then when they enter their 'let's clean my image' phase, they talk against it. Miley is the perfect example. When she was done with her 'rebellion' image, he attacked Rap/hip hop because she wanted to clear her image

Isn't this exactly what Britney did? I mean Britney did the same thing with her "rebellion" stage. Ditched the innocent school girl outfit and then hired some black producers and writers to write her next album so it could be her "sexy, rebellious and urban" phase. I guess Britney never went through her "clean my image" phase but tbh she hasn't had control of her music/image in decades.

Ocboy85
14 hours ago, Gagaretha said:

Agreed. No offense, I love Britney but Gaga wrote songs that were pitched to Britney and they even kept Gaga's vocals on Quicksand. And somehow Gaga was the only one constantly attacked for using the Madonna style...

Britney more so uses Janet style way more than she ever did Madonna.   In reality Janet I would say is Britney no.1 female influence and its so clear like BB said but the media always compared her more so to Madonna.  I think we know why too.

OT

Britney has always said how she was influenced by R&B/Hip Hop music & when she does it it comes off organic and that's why she never got bashed for it like other white artists have.  It doesn't come off forced or something her label or team want or something she's doing cause its trendy or to seem cool.  If anything her team/label always tried to keep her in that Pop/dance Pop box.  I remember when her label wouldn't let her do a record with Nelly (Tilt Ya Head Back) Britney wanted to do it and even recorded her vocals for it and everything but Jive said no.

Up until Blackout Britney music was getting more & more R&B/Hip Hop driven with each release.  Then with Circus (The Conservatorship) all that kind of went a way a bit even tho Britney wanted a more R&B/Hip Hop sound and been trying to do that every since Circus and she hasn't been allowed too.

I think if Britney could make the music that she truly wanted too that she would have ended up working with 90% R&B & Hip Hop producers and her music would have reflected that a lot more.

I would love to hear the tracks that she did with Hit Boy and I would LOVE for her to work with BabyFace one day!

Britney has always said that she was influenced/inspired by Janet, MJ, Prince, Whitney Houston, Toni Braxton, Mariah Carey, Lauryn Hill etc.

Ocboy85

Let's not forget about the EPIC EPIC Break The Ice Remix that feats Fabolous!

What other Pop girl is feat Fab on any of their tracks?    Fab is so underrated and is easily Top 5 of all time MCs!

Ocboy85
14 hours ago, Lazerbeamz said:

It’s called acting, have you heard of the term? As in, the person impersonates a fictional character? :skull:  

OT: Princess of Pop :clap3: 

😂😂

14 hours ago, abrahamjmr said:

The thread hadn't evolved into anything, only you and that other user were complaining about people not holding Britney accountable for "using" black producers and 

I seriously couldn't believe that smh.

14 hours ago, 07tandu said:

Of course they are however it's a way to go about it.  If it doesn't comes off organic then of course it's going to be backlash.  U have white artists like Teena Marie that are R&B LEGENDS and are very respected by the GP & their peers, Jon B was another one but he didn't have a long run.

I remember being High School (West Philly born & raised) in South Philly and everyone was in love with Slave 4 U tho my HS in South Philly had Black, white, Puerto Rican, Asian, Islanders and Italians kids, kids from all backgrounds.   

I even remember my cousin and her friends doing Slave at her school talent show (All Black and Spanish kids) with me as the choreographer 😂

Edited by Ocboy85
edd
Control1986
15 hours ago, Lazerbeamz said:

It’s called acting, have you heard of the term? As in, the person impersonates a fictional character? :skull:  

:rofl: