• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gagaretha

• abrahamjmr

• slw84

• FreeXone

Top Posters In This Topic

princedonte

The way people pick and choose who to praise and who to bash for the same thing is ridiculous.  

Not them using Private Show as an example. :skull:

Otherwise, I agree. :clap3:Britney’s always been inclusive but not appropriative of black artists/culture, and she’s always given credit to the black artists that have worked with her/influenced her without trying to take most of the credit for herself. 

5 hours ago, Sugar-Rush said:

I love Britney, but it irks me slightly that when she uses Black songwriters and producers, it's called being "influenced" by Black art, but when other White artists do it, it's called "cultural appropriation". :biblio: The double standards by the media and pop culture "experts" is annoying.

Reminds me of how Madonna got away with blatantly copying female movie stars by calling it an "homage", but whenever Gaga was inspired by Madonna, it was considered "stealing". :rip:

Imitating a movie star's famous look from a movie is different than doing what a fellow recording artist has done in their own videos and music.

Edited by Loghen
x
Gagaretha
7 minutes ago, Loghen said:

Imitating a movie star's famous look from a movie is different than doing what fellow recording artist has done.

Marilyn Monroe was a singer too :rip:That was a singing scene. If anything, Madonna sounded more like Marilyn than Gaga sounded like Madonna. Madonna tried to sound very light like Marilyn meanwhile Gaga used her mezzo tessitura. 

Edited by Gagaretha
  • #FreeBritney Activist
abrahamjmr
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gagaretha said:

Agreed. No offense, I love Britney but Gaga wrote songs that were pitched to Britney and they even kept Gaga's vocals on Quicksand. And somehow Gaga was the only one constantly attacked for using the Madonna style...

They didn't just keep Gaga's vocal, Lady Gaga was aware of it and she was really happy that she had worked with one of her idols. :laugh:

Britney was never a carbon copy of Madonna. She's stated many times how much of an influence Janet was for her. She loved Madonna, yeah, she was influenced by her as well, but you wouldn't see her trying to replicate or pay homage to what the Queen of Pop used to do.

Edited by abrahamjmr
  • #FreeBritney Activist

We been knew. She also always gives credit where it’s due :clap3:

Mercurio
14 minutes ago, Loghen said:

Imitating a movie star's famous look from a movie is different than doing what a fellow recording artist has done in their own videos and music.

It’s more than just movie star looks though. I love Madge, but she has copied melodies, ripped off artists songs, and other visual artists. 

Britney has done a great job blending those R&B/Hip-hop elements into her music, dance and everything else, I think that’s what makes her discography unique. “From The Bottom of My Broken Heart” & “Lonely” are very soulful/rhythmic :heart2:

Edited by Mercurio
Gagaretha
1 minute ago, abrahamjmr said:

They didn't just keep Gaga's vocal, Lady Gaga was aware of it and she was really happy that she had worked with one of her idols. :laugh:

Britney was never a carbon copy of Madonna. She's stated many times how much of an influence Janet was for her. She loved Madonna, yeah, she was influenced by her as well, but she wouldn't see her trying to replicate or pay homage to what the Queen of Pop used to do.

I didn't say Gaga wasn't okay with it. My point is that Gaga's SAME kind of work under Britney's name with even her same vocals didn't get singled out as a copy which just shows how selective the outrage was. 

And Gaga wasn't a copy either. She was actually friendly with Madonna; they did a skit together in 2009. 

https://youtu.be/aLF19tQSqzo

The way I see it, Madonna noticed that Britney was less outspoken than someone like Gaga so she was less of a threat. Britney definitively used a lot from Madonnas book :rip:not just Janet. But it didn't help her brand as much, she had already peaked with her cleaner image. 

blackoutbaby
5 hours ago, Sugar-Rush said:

I love Britney, but it irks me slightly that when she uses Black songwriters and producers, it's called being "influenced" by Black art, but when other White artists do it, it's called "cultural appropriation". :biblio: The double standards by the media and pop culture "experts" is annoying.

Reminds me of how Madonna got away with blatantly copying female movie stars by calling it an "homage", but whenever Gaga was inspired by Madonna, it was considered "stealing". :rip:

The difference is 

1. Britney always credited her influences. She never claimed it to be a certain style of her own creation.

2. It didn't seem try hard or like she was stereotyping. When you have white artists coming out in grills and twerking on stage with black backup dancers as if they're just props, it's very different than someone incorporating R&B/hip hop sounds into their music and working with black songwriters and producers.

FreeXone

Britney's biggest influence was always Janet Jackson and Paula Abdul...I never saw Madonna in her AT ALL

Gagaretha
Just now, FreeXone said:

Britney's biggest influence was always Janet Jackson and Paula Abdul...I never saw Madonna in her AT ALL

Yea cuz conservative Janet would have accepted to kiss Madonna like Britney did... "What I do has class to it" 

• #FreeBritney Activist
abrahamjmr
2 minutes ago, Gagaretha said:

I didn't say Gaga wasn't okay with it. My point is that Gaga's SAME kind of work under Britney's name with even her same vocals didn't get singled out as a copy which just shows how selective the outrage was. 

And Gaga wasn't a copy either. She was actually friendly with Madonna; they did a skit together in 2009. 

The way I see it, Madonna noticed that Britney was less outspoken than someone like Gaga so she was less of a threat. Britney definitively used a lot from Madonnas book :rip:not just Janet. But it didn't help her brand as much, she had already peaked with her cleaner image. 

Britney was bubblegum at first, something Madonna never did. Her dancing style was more influenced by Janet, not Madonna. 

Madonna was one of her idols, as I said, but she wasn't THAT influenced by her, unlike someone like Gaga. 

Working with Gaga had nothing to do with being influenced by Madonna, why would people come after her for that? :rip:

How was Britney less outspoken? She always gave credit where it was due and threw the names of her idols a lot, the difference is that she wasn't doing it with malice nor trying to be like them, she always made it clear who she was influenced by but she had her own style, her own way. Even in Me Against the Music, you could tell that her style, her moves and even the sound were more Janet than Madonna.

FreeXone
3 minutes ago, Gagaretha said:

Yea cuz conservative Janet would have accepted to kiss Madonna like Britney did... "What I do has class to it" 

Conservative Janet has rubbed men's crotches on stage and pulled a titty stunt. 

And that has nothing to do with my statement. You look at Madonnas music and stage performances and britney doesn't take from it at all. She is very much more like Janet/Paula from the way she moves, her dance, styles etc

Gagaretha

The difference is that she wasn't doing it with malice 

Please explain to me how Gaga singing a song about the LGBTQ community was done with malice? 

Only stans think of it that way. BTW has some resemblance to Express Yourself I won't deny it but it's just a song :rip: you act like the lyrics are a Madonna diss track. 

Gagaretha
1 minute ago, FreeXone said:

Conservative Janet has rubbed men's crotches on stage and pulled a titty stunt. 

And that has nothing to do with my statement. You look at Madonnas music and stage performances and britney doesn't take from it at all. She is very much more like Janet/Paula from the way she moves, her dance, styles etc

Is that why Britney was singing Madonna songs in her movies? 

• #FreeBritney Activist
abrahamjmr
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Gagaretha said:

Please explain to me how Gaga singing a song about the LGBTQ community was done with malice? 

Only stans think of it that way. BTW has some resemblance to Express Yourself I won't deny it but it's just a song :rip: you act like the lyrics are a Madonna diss track. 

Gaga wasn't doing it with malice either. :rip: You're just complaining about people coming after her and not Britney.

Didn't Madonna herself come for Gaga after that and said it was a reductive song? :rip:

This is about Britney and how she always worked with black producers and songwriters, how she incorporated R&B and hip-hop into her music and always gave credit where it was due. I don't see how Quicksand, a song written by Gaga and Fernando Garibay, both white, has anything to do with the topic at hand. 

Edited by abrahamjmr
Lazerbeamz
8 minutes ago, Gagaretha said:

Is that why Britney was singing Madonna songs in her movies? 

It’s called acting, have you heard of the term? As in, the person impersonates a fictional character? :skull:  

OT: Princess of Pop :clap3: 

Gagaretha

Gaga wasn't doing it with malice either. :rip: You're just complaining about people coming after her and not Britney.

Didn't Madonna herself come for Gaga after that and said it was a reductive song? :rip:

This is about Britney and how she always let black producers and songwriters work with her, how she incorporated R&B and hip-hop to her music and always gave credit where it was due. I don't see how Quicksand, a song written by Gaga and Fernando Garibay, both white, has anything to do with the topic at hand. 

The first part is exactly what I said. And my post is a reply to how the thread evolved (Marilyn vs Madonna). Not my fault if you can't keep with the discussion.

• #FreeBritney Activist
abrahamjmr
1 minute ago, Gagaretha said:

The first part is exactly what I said. And my post is a reply to how the thread evolved (Marilyn vs Madonna). Not my fault if you can't keep with the discussion.

The thread hadn't evolved into anything, only you and that other user were complaining about people not holding Britney accountable for "using" black producers and not being accused of copying Madonna like Gaga was. :rip:

Gagaretha
2 minutes ago, Lazerbeamz said:

It’s called acting, have you heard of the term? As in, the person impersonates a fictional character? :skull:  

OT: Princess of Pop :clap3: 

Yeah like the choice of popstar had nothing to do with how her team wanted to market her :rip: and as if someone like Paula Abdul who was relevant for like 3 seconds was her influence. 

Jeremiah
25 minutes ago, Gagaretha said:

How is recording a (rare bonus track) song with all credits clear similar to Gaga's plagiarism? :sick:

Madonna has always loved Britney, who has always mentioned Madonna as main influence. Gaga lost Madonna when she lied and claimed "originality" over her "art".

07tandu

so are non-black people allowed to "incorporate black art" into their music or not? I remember Miley getting dragged for this a few years ago despite her stating she appreciated black artists...

Gagaretha
5 minutes ago, abrahamjmr said:

The thread hadn't evolved into anything, only you and that other user were complaining about people not holding Britney accountable for "using" black producers and not being accused of copying Madonna like Gaga was. :rip:

If y'all started quoting us, it definitely did. And I never said I want people to hold Britney accountable for anything, our point was that Gaga didn't deserve it.