Why are LGBT movies so depressing?

PiecesOfYou

I have watched like 10 queer movies in the past months and most of them have distasteful endings and are just in general depressing asf

I know there are some queer comedies out there but they are very few and pretty bad tbh. 

So why is this so common? 

Michael196
5 minutes ago, PiecesOfYou said:

I have watched like 10 queer movies in the past months and most of them have distasteful endings and are just in general depressing asf

I know there are some queer comedies out there but they are very few and pretty bad tbh. 

did you watch steel? :deadbanana4:

Probably because of the code hays it created a standart where you could only show lgbt charatchers if they died or live miserably.

selena_lavigne

maybe you are watching the wrong ones :celestial5:

Also it's because the GP will only except Queer content if they are painted as victims.

but that is changing a bit.

You’re probably just watching the wrong movies. Watch Happiest Season or something.

Redstreak

Because people think the only way to tell a story about a gay person is that it must revolve around their oppression and usually those tend to be well made since it’s a serious subject. Gay comedies only tend to make cheap and derivative sex jokes so they never fare very well

1 minute ago, X~MoviePoP said:

Lbr. 80% of gay relationships are depressing and end sadly

Mrguilbeaux

You just said there are non sad ending theres just not good ones. There isnt a gay comedian writing a script worthy of a studio to pick it up. The big budget sad stories have been well written adaptations (cmbyn, moonlight, brokeback mountain) of other stories already. Billy eichner is starring in the first rom com with a gay male lead for Judd Apatow so that hopefully will scratch your itch

I suppose they're trying to be faithful to the source material. :giraffe:

Dancehall

- Most movies are produced by people who are older. They didn't have it as easy as gen z does today. When today's youth is producing and writing LGBT cinema it'll surely be different. 

- Adaptations are popular and those pull from typically older works. 

- The AIDS crisis should be in films. I still think there is more stories to tell there from more perspectives. A lot of people think of the topic and just dismiss it as depressing without giving the work a shot.

- Generally speaking TV is in a much more interesting place and fits a wider range of stories better. 

- People tend to dismiss a ton of movies when they say all LGBT movies are depressing. Why do smaller budget films not count? Why do bad movies not count?  Is there a wrong type of LGBT person to feature? I tend to see people complain about depressing gay movies and then dismiss movies with what they consider to be stereotypical gay men, or are just not interested in LGBT movies that aren't romance films with two attractive male actors. Do genre films count? Etc.  I watch a ton of LGBT films and still don't watch most things that come out. Every year there's good LGBT films that don't get wide releases and don't make it to streaming services.  At some point the consumer needs to be finding these films and supporting them. 

diogozsz
51 minutes ago, X~MoviePoP said:

M André

Because LGBT life is still hard, yeah it may not be for you, but for many others it is very hard to be an LGTB member. It’s not only about finding love or a partner, many people can’t even get proper jobs, are harassed everyday, have to settle down for a life inside the closet with anxiety and depression, etc. Not every LGTBQ+ person has the privilege to live the life they want.

Edited by M André
DesiredConsternation

1 hour ago, PiecesOfYou said:

Drop the name of the movies

M André

If you want to watch romcoms or a more sweet setting, I recommend you watching BL series, most of those are made in Thailand and they tend to have good endings.

badgirlriri
2 hours ago, X~MoviePoP said:

WeFoundWill

We are notoriously mentally unstable thats why. 

However thanks Japan/Korea/Taiwan and Thailand for giving us BL series with happy endings. 

Edited by WeFoundWill