Is Bazzi the least problematic white boy?

Sweet Sexy Savage

Bazzi  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do we claim him?

• Yes, we do. Chet Hanks who?
    • No, he will not get away with his Taylor Swift comment in 2018

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brainmaniac

• frozemmm

• Michael196

• More Than A Melody

11 hours ago, Sweet Sexy Savage said:

I don’t think he was racist no? :psyduck: He just said that Taylor’s music is bad or something, but other than that

Never heard of him but ok I was gonna stan this till i saw a collab with a racist. Collabing with a racist means they’re a racist apologist therefore problematic 

1 hour ago, Taigan said:

I'm Lebanese too and we're not white, thank you.

56 minutes ago, bearman said:

I'm Lebanese, I have the same skin tone as Bazzi and yet I would never consider myself white nor does anyone I know see me as a white person. 

I feel this is all that matters. 

If Lebanese people don't consider themselves white then it's strange people in here are trying to force it on them. They have different ancestry than white Americans and Europeans anyway, it's not the same.

And the Taylor diss does not make him problematic. :skull: 

6 minutes ago, CaptainMusic said:

If Lebanese people don't consider themselves white then it's strange people in here are trying to force it on them. They have different ancestry than white Americans and Europeans anyway, it's not the same.

true so the fact that he’s not white also negates this entire thread 

multi page racist gatekeeping meltdowns about Bazzi of all people :bibliahh:

just say you’re butthurt he said the Taylor thing and move on instead of embarrassing yourself for hours

6 hours ago, FOCK said:

Where has he victimised himself? He clearly stated "I know I look white, but I'm actually Lebanese", clearing it up for those who asked and affirming his heritage, which he has every right to do, regardless of where he, or his parents, were born. 

Why is this warranting your response? Where is he trying to wriggle out of any accountability or denounce any privilege he may have for being " white passing"? 

Just say you're annoyed he shaded your fave and go. You're doing entirely too much.  

He didn't Swifties are always bitter for some reason

1 hour ago, CaptainMusic said:

Like all of our faves have dissed someone. Some are str8 up nasty but they mad about 1 comment? Lmao

2 hours ago, More Than A Melody said:

I knew someone was gonna bring up Anya Taylor-Joy... she's hardly Latina, sis. Her mother is called Jennifer (Spanish and English descendant) and her dad is called Dennis, neither of them is Latino. Her dad is a first generation Argentinian (his parents are Scottish) who moved out before she was even born. She was born in Miami, to two white European parents. She's European 100%.

Girl, she’s Argentinian, meaning she’s from Latin America, meaning she is a Latina. That is literally the definition of a Latina, that is my entire point. She was literally recognized as “the first Latina” to win her category at the Golden Globes: https://variety.com/2021/tv/awards/anya-taylor-joy-queens-gambit-golden-globes-1234909901/. In the article Anya herself says she identifies as a white Latina.

White Latinos/latinas exist by the millions. If you’re from any country in Latin America, you’re Latino. Another poster mentioned Cameron Diaz, who’s father’s family is Cuban. Is she not white?

2 hours ago, More Than A Melody said:

The fact that you're acting like there's no discrimination against Latinos in America, Canada, Australia, and Europe, if they're white passing is... truly. Wow.

You might want to read my comment again :)

3 hours ago, Headlock said:

I'm not saying latinos don't experience prejudice, they most certainly do, but there are certainly white latinos/latinas, not just "white passing". They're fully white.

:devil:

I’m not discussing “white passing” Latinos, I’m taking about literally white Latinos, which literally exist, as there is literally an entire Wikipedia article about them and their heritage, which I literally linked. I mentioned an example of someone who themselves identifies as a white Latina. Like, why are you arguing about this?

Edited by Headlock
More Than A Melody
11 hours ago, Headlock said:

Girl, she’s Argentinian, meaning she’s from Latin America, meaning she is a Latina. That is literally the definition of a Latina, that is my entire point. She was literally recognized as “the first Latina” to win her category at the Golden Globes: https://variety.com/2021/tv/awards/anya-taylor-joy-queens-gambit-golden-globes-1234909901/. In the article Anya herself says she identifies as a white Latina.

White Latinos/latinas exist by the millions. If you’re from any country in Latin America, you’re Latino. Another poster mentioned Cameron Diaz, who’s father’s family is Cuban. Is she not white?

You might want to read my comment again :)

:devil:

I’m not discussing “white passing” Latinos, I’m taking about literally white Latinos, which literally exist, as there is literally an entire Wikipedia article about them and their heritage, which I literally linked. I mentioned an example of someone who themselves identifies as a white Latina. Like, why are you arguing about this?

Girl, she’s not Latina. She wasn’t born in Latin America and her parents are not Latinos. She can say whatever she wants and the Golden Globes can call her whatever they want. They also called her “a woman of color”... She’s not Latina. She’s American with European ancestry.

“White Latino” is an oxymoron. “White,” as a race, doesn’t exist. Your beloved Wikipedia calls it “outdated”... the race is “Caucasian.” And “Latino” is an ethnicity, not a race.

The term you’re looking for is “Caucasian Latino.” But that doesn’t mean anything in the context of this conversation, which isn’t about colorism, but about discrimination based on ethnicity in America. Ergo, Bazzi saying “I know I look white but I’m Lebanese.”

“White Latino”, in the US, is an oxymoron because of the US views on race. When you fill out a census, you have both “white” and “Latino” as options (which is hilarious because neither of those are races). What the US understands for “white” is “like me”, not Caucasian. Caucasian Arabs are not white in their eyes, Caucasian Latinos are not white in their eyes, because the US views “race” as more of a social status than anything else. In the past, the US didn’t consider Irish people white, or Italian people white. With the incorporation of Irish and Italian immigrants to the population and Italy and Ireland advancing in the rebuilding of their economies and their world status, they’re now considered white. They’re not othered, they’re not targeted, they’re not victims of violence. In fact, they have an easier time getting green cards and visas and jobs and getting out of problems with the law and nobody would assume they’re stealing in a store, etc.

No one here has ever claimed that there can’t be Caucasian Latinos. But the understanding of whiteness is privilege, and it’s not in terms of skin color, but in terms of EVERYTHING. A white person is the status quo of privilege. No foreign names, no funny accents (unless they’re Western European!), no Third World Countries, no poverty. Arabs and Latinos CANNOT be white because we are not TREATED as white. The privilege of whiteness doesn’t exist for us. What Caucasian Latinos have is the privilege of colorism. But it’s not the same AT ALL. Stop mixing concepts.

Anya Taylor-Joy, with her European name, her American citizenship, and her European parents, can never be Latina. Her father having lived in Argentina for 14 years because his dad was an oil magnate doesn’t make her Latina. You can’t compare Cameron Díaz, who was born in California to two American parents (her grandparents just lived for a few years in Cuba, but they were both Spanish, aka European), to Camila Cabello, who was BORN in Cuba, to a Cuban mother and a Mexican father.

You CAN use Google to learn these details that change everything. And you can also use your brain to understand nuance. I shouldn’t have to spell this out for you, Wiki lover.

36 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

Girl, she’s not Latina. She wasn’t born in Latin America and her parents are not Latinos. She can say whatever she wants and the Golden Globes can call her whatever they want. They also called her “a woman of color”... She’s not Latina. She’s American with European ancestry.

“White Latino” is an oxymoron. “White,” as a race, doesn’t exist. Your beloved Wikipedia calls it “outdated”... the race is “Caucasian.” And “Latino” is an ethnicity, not a race.

The term you’re looking for is “Caucasian Latino.” But that doesn’t mean anything in the context of this conversation, which isn’t about colorism, but about discrimination based on ethnicity in America. Ergo, Bazzi saying “I know I look white but I’m Lebanese.”

“White Latino”, in the US, is an oxymoron because of the US views on race. When you fill out a census, you have both “white” and “Latino” as options (which is hilarious because neither of those are races). What the US understands for “white” is “like me”, not Caucasian. Caucasian Arabs are not white in their eyes, Caucasian Latinos are not white in their eyes, because the US views “race” as more of a social status than anything else. In the past, the US didn’t consider Irish people white, or Italian people white. With the incorporation of Irish and Italian immigrants to the population and Italy and Ireland advancing in the rebuilding of their economies and their world status, they’re now considered white. They’re not othered, they’re not targeted, they’re not victims of violence. In fact, they have an easier time getting green cards and visas and jobs and getting out of problems with the law and nobody would assume they’re stealing in a store, etc.

No one here has ever claimed that there can’t be Caucasian Latinos. But the understanding of whiteness is privilege, and it’s not in terms of skin color, but in terms of EVERYTHING. A white person is the status quo of privilege. No foreign names, no funny accents (unless they’re Western European!), no Third World Countries, no poverty. Arabs and Latinos CANNOT be white because we are not TREATED as white. The privilege of whiteness doesn’t exist for us. What Caucasian Latinos have is the privilege of colorism. But it’s not the same AT ALL. Stop mixing concepts.

Anya Taylor-Joy, with her European name, her American citizenship, and her European parents, can never be Latina. Her father having lived in Argentina for 14 years because his dad was an oil magnate doesn’t make her Latina. You can’t compare Cameron Díaz, who was born in California to two American parents (her grandparents just lived for a few years in Cuba, but they were both Spanish, aka European), to Camila Cabello, who was BORN in Cuba, to a Cuban mother and a Mexican father.

You CAN use Google to learn these details that change everything. And you can also use your brain to understand nuance. I shouldn’t have to spell this out for you, Wiki lover.

This is quite a read

15 hours ago, Armani👑 said:

Not 6 pages :rip:

I think Jack Harlow is even less problematic isnt he?

Jack Harlow got into a physical fight the other day with someone from stan twitter :rip: They were even threatening each other on their Instagram stories :dies:

23 minutes ago, Tinashegrande6 said:

Jack Harlow got into a physical fight the other day with someone from stan twitter :rip: They were even threatening each other on their Instagram stories :dies:

Welp, I'll stick with Jon B

StarsAllAligned
4 hours ago, More Than A Melody said:

So Spaniards labeling themselves as white throughout colonization in the 1600s and beyond to differentiate themselves from the Black & Indigenous people they enslaved, along with their descendants in Latin America who are still oppressing black and brown people in the 21st century, are no longer white because they speak with a Spanish (European) accent and have Spanish (European) names? And where are white Latinos in poverty? They're the one's running Latin America treating others like 3rd world citizens, just look at how they treated Yalitza or how her communities are living. By that criteria, I suppose white Appalachians aren't actually white then either. 

White Latinos LOVE being white when they're in their home countries though.

9 hours ago, More Than A Melody said:

This a great straw man, congratulations on that I guess, but white Latinos literally exist. You keep mentioning non-white Latinos to counter your argument, when that is never something I was talking about. The literal definition of a Latino is someone from Latin America. White Latinos are descended from European ancestry, that is never something I said wasn’t true, which you seem to think is a gotcha moment. That is literally the point, they have European ancestry, yet are from Latin America, meaning they are Latino. That is just objectively true based on definitions.

It is important to clarify that the categories refer only to a person's origin and ancestry. A Latino/a or Hispanic person can be any race or color.

https://www.britannica.com/story/whats-the-difference-between-hispanic-and-latino

The Census Bureau's 2010 census provides a definition of the terms "Latino" and "Hispanic": "Hispanic or Latino" refers to a person of Mexican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race. It allows respondents to self-define whether they were Latino or Hispanic and then identify their specific country or place of origin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic_and_Latino_(ethnic_categories)#Hispanic/Latino_ethnic_groups

Saying someone belongs to an ethnic group doesn't mean they can't be white. Yes latinos are an ethnic group, and it includes white people in it. Italians are an ethnic group. Scots are an ethnic group. Ethnicity, by definition, is: "the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition." Nowhere does that classify anything by race.

I never talked about discrimination, or colorism, or any of that, because that is not what I was talking about, because I was not talking about non-white Latinos, nor did I ever say those things didn’t exist. So again, great straw man.

Edited by Headlock
5 hours ago, More Than A Melody said:

As a hispanic man born and raised in the US, I can tell you this is a lie. Any government form doesn't have "white" and "latino" together. Latinos are forced to select from "White, Black, Native American, Asian/pacific islander or something else". Recently "Hispanic" isn't even included in the cultural questions, but made into it's own separate question at the end.

If you're going to write a whole essay trying to educate someone, you should educate yourself on it first.

I feel like that would be Jake Miller tbh.

Can I genuinely say that I did not know that Lebanese was Middle Eastern though? I always thought that was European.

Anyone can be deemed unproblematic when nobody is checking for them.

Edit: mess. not me commenting before reading all of the replies. What did this thread turn into :rip: 

Edited by Revival