• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• Saljju

• Breathe On Moi

• MingYouToo

On 4/4/2021 at 5:51 PM, Dephira said:

Not you guys acting like she outed anyone :rip:

This can lead to a witch hunt and basically discovering who she's talking about. You just don't talk about that.

KoibitoCyrus

How was that any of her business? Messy

The way y'all just don't get it. :rip:

How are these issues supposed to be resolved if no one is willing to discuss them?

Comedor
On 4/4/2021 at 12:22 PM, duybeeGAshantiGA said:

Is it her biz tho? If they are not ready, this may lead people to 'investigate' and potentially out them.

Did you ****ing read?

They are ready but they can't because Hollywood is homophobic.

MattyTacos

I'm glad she spoke up about this and everything she said, especially the fact that actors come out 20-40 years after their prime is so spot on. The fact people are clowning her for opening the possibility of 'speculation' but this is the same website that calls Shawn Mendes gay every five seconds and make 500 internalized homophobic jokes is just deranged and hypocritical. She alluded to absolutely no one and if anyone has the energy to speculate and investigate and make a twitter comment that gets five notes, then that's on them. So stupid y'all think anyone will be exposed from this especially when Kate herself specified how hard these agents will not allow this slip up... Kate likening the fact that gay men need some type of progressive movement against Hollywood is important and 100% true, especially with how stigmatized Hollywood is about gay people whether BTS or during productions. Good for her for speaking it up and how dare some of you have the nerve to tell her what she can and cannot say when she's speaking on behalf of the LGBT+ community and our representation. You should be ashamed of yourselves. 

• ATRL Moderator
Reinvention
On 4/5/2021 at 3:51 AM, Dephira said:

Not you guys acting like she outed anyone :rip:

Right? She's worked with a million actors and would know a million more - I just know everyone is going to be rushing to try and out the highest-profile names she's worked with and it's just like... the entire point of the article and the entire premise of gays' careers being affected by their sexuality FLEW over their heads.

Edit: On a potentially controversial note - I DESPISE the effort people are putting into to say "gay people should play gay roles" and the same for trans roles etc and I just think it's ludicrous. I just think people are doing this fake-woke-for-clout thing and not quite clicking that the ENTIRE premise of acting is to tell the stories of other people! The whole reason people become actors is to tell stories, to embody other people, to make themselves an empty vessel in order to tell the stories of others. It's like on the flipside - should gays ONLY be able to tell gay stories, and should trans people ONLY be able to tell trans stories? Absolutely the hell not.

Playing another race is an entirely different thing too obviously. Who knows, throughout history had black face not been used in the appalling way it was in order to make a mockery of people and make them look like sexual deviants or rapists etc, perhaps it wouldn't be so appalling to play other races. However white people certainly had the opportunity to do so in generations gone and immediately used it to be disgusting and purely only to make a mockery and herald nasty stereotypes, so I think it's safe to say playing other races is always going to be off limits.

insomniac
On 4/4/2021 at 9:29 PM, RunUpDoneUp said:

This thread reminded me of the other element that hinders gay representation in media: other gay men.

A lot of gay men have inferiority complexes developed from their experience with homophobia and thus unwittingly will say that straight men are capable of being both fem and masc and it's "just acting" when a straight man plays a gay character for the 1millionth time(groundbreaking!) but the openly gay man can't play a straight character or masc(what a stereotype, am I right?) and how suddenly the "it's just acting!" bs is discarded so gay men get less jobs living outside the closet. These gay men are also the ones that don't see the point in coming out or gay pride(as if anyone asked for their appearance in it) but they'll moan about how everyone expects them to be fem when they do find out they're gay and how sad that is but won't connect the dots that if you don't tell people who you are, then you can't dispel stereotypes or represent yourself.

The closet allows others to define you, don't complain when you allow the narrative to be written for you because you're too daft to see why the riots and protests happened in the first place.

Hollywood is everything they're known for; yes, there's opportunity and freedom but there's also oppressive custom and underhanded dealings and crimes. The people there have to make a decision whether they'll work with the janky machine or repair it and present it in their image.

She did nothing wrong here and she's not keeping anyone closeted or outting them, release your fragile pearls and see what gay people are still dealing with in an avenue that they allegedly run and are welcome in: Kate's literally telling you that there's smoke and mirrors there, put your gun back in the holster or aim it at the industry where the bullets should go.

Glad she shared this.

:clap3:eloquently put!!

jakeisphat

The part about young actors isn't that big of a deal because that can be anyone. But her being like, "a well-known actor who recently got an American agent," was unnecessary because she knows damn well that ain't private info. Publications, especially in the film industry, could easily figure out which non-American actors recently hired an American agent. Girl... 

tigalion

Some of those closeted actors should do what was done in Germany recently, a mass coming out. This way, it relieves the individual pressure. 

As for the speculations (yep, i know it's bad), what about Liam Hemsworth? He was her co-star in the dressmaker. 

You literally cannot do anything with that information other than use it to understand how Hollywood still forces actors into the closet

1 hour ago, tigalion said:

Some of those closeted actors should do what was done in Germany recently, a mass coming out. This way, it relieves the individual pressure. 

As for the speculations (yep, i know it's bad), what about Liam Hemsworth? He was her co-star in the dressmaker. 

She's been in the industry for over 2 decades, it doesn't have to be anyone she's started alongside let alone a recent collab :deadbanana4:

You guys... Liz Taylor literally outed Jimmy Dean in a speech at an event to raise money to fight AIDS. You are all doing the most coming for queen Kate for saying this. She’s done nothing wrong and it’s the same as when Laverne Cox and Angel(?) from Pose said something similar about hip-hop to TMZ when asked about Lil Nas X.

tigalion
46 minutes ago, Otter said:

She's been in the industry for over 2 decades, it doesn't have to be anyone she's started alongside let alone a recent collab :deadbanana4:

You are right.

The thing about Liam though is that there were many rumours about his mariage to Miley who ended up being bi herself. 

Marla Singer

She's just trying to make "a friend of Rose" the new "a friend of Dorothy".

• #FreeBritney Activist
14 hours ago, MattyTacos said:

I'm glad she spoke up about this and everything she said, especially the fact that actors come out 20-40 years after their prime is so spot on. The fact people are clowning her for opening the possibility of 'speculation' but this is the same website that calls Shawn Mendes gay every five seconds and make 500 internalized homophobic jokes is just deranged and hypocritical. She alluded to absolutely no one and if anyone has the energy to speculate and investigate and make a twitter comment that gets five notes, then that's on them. So stupid y'all think anyone will be exposed from this especially when Kate herself specified how hard these agents will not allow this slip up... Kate likening the fact that gay men need some type of progressive movement against Hollywood is important and 100% true, especially with how stigmatized Hollywood is about gay people whether BTS or during productions. Good for her for speaking it up and how dare some of you have the nerve to tell her what she can and cannot say when she's speaking on behalf of the LGBT+ community and our representation. You should be ashamed of yourselves. 

Spilled.

Solgayleo
14 hours ago, Reinvention said:

Right? She's worked with a million actors and would know a million more - I just know everyone is going to be rushing to try and out the highest-profile names she's worked with and it's just like... the entire point of the article and the entire premise of gays' careers being affected by their sexuality FLEW over their heads.

Edit: On a potentially controversial note - I DESPISE the effort people are putting into to say "gay people should play gay roles" and the same for trans roles etc and I just think it's ludicrous. I just think people are doing this fake-woke-for-clout thing and not quite clicking that the ENTIRE premise of acting is to tell the stories of other people! The whole reason people become actors is to tell stories, to embody other people, to make themselves an empty vessel in order to tell the stories of others. It's like on the flipside - should gays ONLY be able to tell gay stories, and should trans people ONLY be able to tell trans stories? Absolutely the hell not.

Playing another race is an entirely different thing too obviously. Who knows, throughout history had black face not been used in the appalling way it was in order to make a mockery of people and make them look like sexual deviants or rapists etc, perhaps it wouldn't be so appalling to play other races. However white people certainly had the opportunity to do so in generations gone and immediately used it to be disgusting and purely only to make a mockery and herald nasty stereotypes, so I think it's safe to say playing other races is always going to be off limits.

While I understand part of this, it can be harmful, especially for trans representation, for trans characters to be played predominantly by straight cis actors. When a male actor plays a trans woman, even if the performance is incredible, it is an incredible performance of “transness”, and in some ways that is all that character is viewed as. When a trans character gets to be played by a trans actor, the focus is simply on the character and not how “trans” they are. There are so many misconceptions about trans people, and when Hollywood’s representation of them is cis men and women playing a role, it enforces existing notions that trans people aren’t the base versions of themselves. 

and back on topic, Kate did not out anyone and it’s ridiculous to place blame on her for starting a necessary conversation about equality. While she’s obviously speaking for others, which can get a bit hairy, she’s doing it because the closeted actors and actresses aren’t in a position to speak for themselves. And any blame for “starting a witch hunt” should be on the witch hunters, not Kate

• #FreeBritney Activist
frozemmm
Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2021 at 6:05 AM, getback said:

I knew Drake was gay/bi :ahh: rumours on the streets are that The Weeknd fooled around with men before he got famous too :eli: 

50 Cent hooking up with guys on the side is brand new information tho :deadbanana: he's homophobic af, but that's not surprising because many raging homophobes do that to cover their tracks :rip: 

Diddy using Cassie as a beard is such a well known information :rip: idk why he's not coming out now that Cassie dropped his ass :rip: it's not like he's making hits anyway to worry about that ****

Mess at Ms Weeknd, i had not heard those rumours yet:eatpopcorn: i can kinda see it now that you mentioned it:eatpopcorn:

Also your take on Diddy took me OUT:deadbanana4: but he will never come out sis, men are the love of his life but he will forever want to keep that straight image, i smell diddys a mile away, didn’t he get caught having Christopher Williams suck his dick for a record or sumn? I read and heard about it:eatpopcorn: mess

Edited by frozemmm
kgeezy310
1 hour ago, éclat said:

Is she friends with Leo :cupid: 

yes he walked her down the aisle at her most recent wedding 

• ATRL Moderator
Reinvention
7 hours ago, Solgayleo said:

While I understand part of this, it can be harmful, especially for trans representation, for trans characters to be played predominantly by straight cis actors. When a male actor plays a trans woman, even if the performance is incredible, it is an incredible performance of “transness”, and in some ways that is all that character is viewed as. When a trans character gets to be played by a trans actor, the focus is simply on the character and not how “trans” they are. There are so many misconceptions about trans people, and when Hollywood’s representation of them is cis men and women playing a role, it enforces existing notions that trans people aren’t the base versions of themselves. 

and back on topic, Kate did not out anyone and it’s ridiculous to place blame on her for starting a necessary conversation about equality. While she’s obviously speaking for others, which can get a bit hairy, she’s doing it because the closeted actors and actresses aren’t in a position to speak for themselves. And any blame for “starting a witch hunt” should be on the witch hunters, not Kate

I see what you mean - and that's a good point actually. I guess I worry would trans actors then only be able to tell trans roles? I guess I just think, if you were an actor and you had really devoted your life to telling the stories of those who might not otherwise be able to, it would be artistically unsatisfying to only portray experiences similar to your own. There's also the enormous problem of Hollywood needing a star to push it's movies and those stars are very predominantly white, but that's another issue cause certainly more stars can be created - just need to see the will, and more importantly need to see the audiences spending to watch.

Mr. Loco
5 hours ago, Superbitch said:

We forgot about something.. actors include both men and women. 

Yeah, but in this case, if you read the article she is talking basically about gay men, so it is safe to assume those 4 actors are men