Kate Winslet: "I know at least 4 actors" still in the closet

1 hour ago, kayliah said:

This is BS... can a fem guy play a straight... no. And you can do all the movie magic there is you can't change someone's voice, demeanor and effeminate personality. It's sad but true. However, for guys that act and look like straight people it's easier. This being said, it's safer to stay in the closet to get your roles, money  and success even if you have to hide a part of yourself and keep a very low profile.

Do you understand what acting is?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• Saljju

• Breathe On Moi

• MingYouToo

Johnny Cash

She's bringing attention to an important issues and all you can do is drag her :skull:

Y'all are getting worked up for nothing. She never specified if she ever worked with them, their gender or nationality. Sa o it could be anyone.

People get mad because Celebrities don't stand up and other finding their voice. She is clearly opening the discussion.  Plus y'all don't know if they asked her for help. 

2 hours ago, tell_me_a_lie said:

Ridgerton main actor comes into mind,tbh.

Jonathan Bailey? He's out and has been for years.

I understand the concerns people have with her saying this, but she's not naming names. People were talking about the Me Too movement well before it happened in a nameless way. She's also not saying we should force people to come out, she's exposing the agencies that are telling these actors that basically, they can't.

discosean
3 hours ago, Breathe On Moi said:

This won’t end well. I know she means well, but she’s alluding to pretty much outing these four actors if people decide to start digging. 

That could be like 99% of Hollywood though.

RainDreamer

Not people ignoring her valid concerns and skipping to speculation and condemning. 

that's it? cute lol but there's way more than that

Espresso

BreakawayDeluxe
1 hour ago, Juanny said:

She didn't out anyone and she's speaking out on a very important issue. I support this. Nothing will change unless people start these kinds of conversations and people telling her to be quiet, especially as a community of gay people, is super baffling to me. This kind of problem is why there is still lack of representation of our community in Hollywood, which directly affects how seriously our rights are taken world wide. The more people who know our stories through film, the more we will be supported. 

This!!

kayliah
1 hour ago, Badger said:

Do you understand what acting is?

yes i do ... but effeminate men can rarely act like masculine men. even acting masculine is such a strectch 4 them lol. God bless them though cuz they are amazing friends to have and know how to turn up a party or bring joy.

RunUpDoneUp

This thread reminded me of the other element that hinders gay representation in media: other gay men.

A lot of gay men have inferiority complexes developed from their experience with homophobia and thus unwittingly will say that straight men are capable of being both fem and masc and it's "just acting" when a straight man plays a gay character for the 1millionth time(groundbreaking!) but the openly gay man can't play a straight character or masc(what a stereotype, am I right?) and how suddenly the "it's just acting!" bs is discarded so gay men get less jobs living outside the closet. These gay men are also the ones that don't see the point in coming out or gay pride(as if anyone asked for their appearance in it) but they'll moan about how everyone expects them to be fem when they do find out they're gay and how sad that is but won't connect the dots that if you don't tell people who you are, then you can't dispel stereotypes or represent yourself.

The closet allows others to define you, don't complain when you allow the narrative to be written for you because you're too daft to see why the riots and protests happened in the first place.

Hollywood is everything they're known for; yes, there's opportunity and freedom but there's also oppressive custom and underhanded dealings and crimes. The people there have to make a decision whether they'll work with the janky machine or repair it and present it in their image.

She did nothing wrong here and she's not keeping anyone closeted or outting them, release your fragile pearls and see what gay people are still dealing with in an avenue that they allegedly run and are welcome in: Kate's literally telling you that there's smoke and mirrors there, put your gun back in the holster or aim it at the industry where the bullets should go.

Glad she shared this.

Fitzswiftie
2 hours ago, MingYouToo said:

girllll if this is Chris Evans bc hes single and hes 40 or Henry Cavill... :jonny5:

Chris has a near identically out brother whose also an actor if y’all still thirsty.

Fitzswiftie
3 hours ago, tell_me_a_lie said:

Ridgerton main actor comes into mind,tbh.

Rege or Jonathan? Because the latter’s been out (and married to a man) for years and the former....

Fitzswiftie

Imagine if one of the four she’s alluding to is Richard Madden and his many “roommates”.

Not you guys acting concerned about her outing these actors when y'all have been trying to out Shawn Mendes for years now pls

Oktober Knight

Well she didn't lie, Hollywood loves to guilt you in fear that you won't get roles if you come out. I know of one A list actor that is closeted (he's at least bi) and I would bet money that John Travolta and Elija Wood are closeted too. 

allforyou
4 minutes ago, Oktober Knight said:

Well she didn't lie, Hollywood loves to guilt you in fear that you won't get roles if you come out. I know of one A list actor that is closeted (he's at least bi) and I would bet money that John Travolta and Elija Wood are closeted too. 

John Travolta was married for almost 20 years and has 3 children though? I highly doubt it.

Jaspurr

The fact that there's been slim to none progress in the movie and sports industries regarding this issue. Someone had to speak out eventually. She should've put a little more emphasis on the issue itself rather than closet cases but that's a start nonetheless.

The Witch
4 minutes ago, Fitzswiftie said:

Rege or Jonathan? Because the latter’s been out (and married to a man) for years and the former....

They talking about Rege methinks :johnald:

Blankspace2010
1 hour ago, Johnny Cash said:

She's bringing attention to an important issues and all you can do is drag her :skull:

This is every thread on ATRL being offended by absolutely everything. 

Oktober Knight
Just now, allforyou said:

John Travolta was married for almost 20 years and has 3 children though? I highly doubt it.

There are some celebrities that insist he's gay - a few hinted that he can be very feminine off camera. It really doesn't matter regardless though.